Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2012 Baltimore Orioles Thread

Hitman21ST

In team history? I don't think I'd go that far with Tejada.

Which other free agent acquisition do you think was bigger at the time of signing?

Tejada was one of baseball's premier shortstops, young and healthy, and less than 2 years removed from being named AL MVP. Even if the Orioles had signed Pujols or Fielder this summer, or Texeira two years ago, it wouldn't have been as big as when they signed Miggy simply because he was in the prime of his career and was projected by most to be an elite SS for another 5 - 7 years.

Maybe Tejada wasn't the biggest in the history of the team, but its definitely been the biggest of the last 10-15 years.

Maybe biggest in history would be Alomar or Palmeiro?

Hard to argue with any of those three guys.

At any rate, the signing of Tejada was big and a lot of people were taking the O's as a sleeper pick for a wild card in 2004. So in that regard, I'd say that team did look good "on paper".

I've always thought of Belle as the biggest FA signing in O's history. That was ****ing epic at the time. So much buzz and he became the highest-paid player in the league iirc

The enthusiasm of signing the original Fat Albert was tempered by (1) he was already into his 30s and most people believed he would soon be past his prime, and (2) he was a first-rate a-hole and locker room cancer.

I remember thinking at the time: "we'll be lucky to get one good year out of him". Sure enough, that's exactly what he gave us.

I've always thought of Belle as the biggest FA signing in O's history. That was ****ing epic at the time. So much buzz and he became the highest-paid player in the league iirc

Speaking of Belle, he looks REALLY old...

bellepic.jpg

---------- Post added February-28th-2012 at 03:47 PM ----------

And a weird Luke Scott story: http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/28/luke-scott-brought-seven-foot-long-pig-killing-spears-into-rays-clubhouse/

Glad he is gone!

The pitcher the O's just signed to a minor league Josh Banks is a family friend. His parents are excited at the prospect of hopping in the car for a short drive to Camden and seeing Josh pitch. It would be awesome to personally know someone on the O's.

The pitcher the O's just signed to a minor league Josh Banks is a family friend. His parents are excited at the prospect of hopping in the car for a short drive to Camden and seeing Josh pitch. It would be awesome to personally know someone on the O's.

Never heard of him, but I wouldn't be surprised if he starts on Opening Day! :ols:

Archived