Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Shanahan Preaches Patience as Redskins Rebuilding Continues

JeffSchmeff

Even Helu? Don't think so.

Helu hasn't had a Barry Sanders or Eric Dickerson type rookie season. 635 yards on a 4.3 ypc isn't exactly world beating, well not to me but you can call them 'Great" numbers if you'd like. For the positions in which the respected players were drafted and the production from them, you can more then make that argument. Well as long as you keep an open mind and look at all the factors.

Helu hasn't had a Barry Sanders or Eric Dickerson type rookie season. 635 yards on a 4.3 ypc isn't exactly world beating, well not to me but you can call them 'Great" numbers if you'd like. For the positions in which the respected players were drafted and the production from them, you can more then make that argument. Well as long as you keep an open mind and look at all the factors.

635 yards in limited starts behind a crap OL, never really playing with the lead, and with a pretty nonthreatening passing game allowing teams to stack the box...I'd say that's pretty impressive for a 4th round RB.

Its not as if Hurt played at a probowl level. And Nield saw a small number of snaps comparatively, though he performed well when on the field.

That puts it into perspective.. finally some respect from the media.. in years past a coach in this town after this dismal a record after two seasons was seeing MUCH different press.

I liked this

The elephant in the room remains the quarterback position, but Shanahan was in position to take one last year and passed, proving that he's willing to wait on the right one. On the surface, it appears to have been the right move. The team took the pick that wound up being Blaine Gabbert, who's been shaky in Jacksonville, and parlayed it into Kerrigan, receiver Leonard Hankerson, tailback Roy Helu, and safety D.J. Gomes, who have all started games.

All future full time starters, if not already.

~Bang

Usually like your posts Hitman but really, "GREAT" players?

2nd- McNabb- No longer on team

3rd- Jarmon- No fault of Shanny

4th-Perry Riley- looks solid but not exactly great

2nd- Jenkins- Going off TC hype only.

3rd- Hankerson- Looks OK but after one game against Miami I'm not ready to say he's Jerry Rice

4th- Helu- Best of the bunch and looks like a capable NFL starting RB.

I wouldn't toot that horn too many times. You can make an argument that two of the four seven round picks from this past draft, Chris Neild and Maurice Hurt have contributed more to the team then the six picks listed above combined.

I get your point, but I wouldn't really call McNabb a "second round pick." He was traded for one, so that's what he cost. Subtle difference.

So far, the picks that Shanny has used in the draft from the second, third, and fourth, have been quality - all have a significant probability of become good to great.

Not to start playing semantics, but by listing Neild and Hurt, you're helping me make the point. We find quality players in the later rounds, so losing a few from the first round or two won't be as big of a hit as most would like to say it is.

Usually like your posts Hitman but really, "GREAT" players?

2nd- McNabb- No longer on team

3rd- Jarmon- No fault of Shanny

4th-Perry Riley- looks solid but not exactly great

2nd- Jenkins- Going off TC hype only.

3rd- Hankerson- Looks OK but after one game against Miami I'm not ready to say he's Jerry Rice

4th- Helu- Best of the bunch and looks like a capable NFL starting RB.

I wouldn't toot that horn too many times. You can make an argument that two of the four seven round picks from this past draft, Chris Neild and Maurice Hurt have contributed more to the team then the six picks listed above combined.

As others said, yeah Helu has contributed more so far than Neild and Hurt combined.

And yeah Jarmon was a Vinny pick, not Shanny's. Though Jarmon may have worked out for us in the 4-3, Shanny getting Gaffney in trade was a good move. How "good" we'll see.

In the NFL, if you hit 50/50 or greater on your picks overall, you're doing a fantastic job picking and coaching them up. Even though they're not starters, to have two 7th rounders perform (so far) like Neild and Hurt is a bonus.

Right now those "middlin" are looking like 2/5 hits, at most 4/5 hits. Having McNabb (in trade) be the only bust in the picks listed is a fanciful dream, but a possibility.

I'm curious to see who we'll go after in free agency. It'll be interesting to see Shanahallen work their magic with a full offseason for once.

Yes! This is what I'm most looking forward to as well; can't wait to see how it all goes. Last offseason was absolutely epic and now we've got a full one with no lockout issues for the first time since Shanny took over.

People always forget how the first year there was absolutely no one available in free agency. Almost every player who would've otherwise been a free agent got stuck for one more year with their teams due to the uncapped season rules going into affect. The second offseason was lost to the lockout.

What Shanahan/Allen have done with this team in two severely hampered offseasons has been nothing short of amazing. It's why I get really annoyed when so many complain on here. Just one more offseason like last years and we'll be very, very good... even without a new QB. If we manage to nab an elite QB somehow we'll be great in no time.

Did you not pay attention to the article?

We got TWELVE dudes in last year's draft, and they are all still on the team. I'd take another draft like that over ONE QB.

I know most of you wouldn't, but that's how I feel. QB can wait another year if things don't line up right for us.

Shanny probably doesn't have that luxary. If we are going into 2012 with Rex again; then Synder will expect at least a winning season: 9-7.

A third straight season with a losing record and no franchise QB yet; I really doubt Synder lets Shanny finish his 5 year plan.

We need to find that franchise QB; probably won't be in the first round but there should be some other qbs that might fit the bill. I expect this offseason will be more towards the offensive side. I'd prefer to have a rookie QB learning the ropes.

Oh, I don't advocate trading up for a QB. If the right QB is there at our position in the first round; take him. If not, I'd rather trade down and get more picks. I do believe we have to come out of this draft with a QB and maybe even two; taken somewhere from rounds 2 to 7.

I've heard many ESers spout this opinion for years now.

Just when will things "line up right for us?"

One more year?

Two?

Three?

Time to get a QB now. :2cents:

no single position could better improve our team than qb. heck even if we had a good draft, like last year, without a qb, it's no good for us. might result in a 1 or 2 game swing.

however, we stand to gain a whole lot by improved play at the qb position and we are lined up as good as we'll probably be (during shannys contract) to get a qb.

also, for those of you against trading for luck/rg3.. it's going to cost just as much to trade up for an elite qb prospect in the future as it's going to cost now, maybe even more. if you think our team is continually getting better we might not even have a realistic chance to land an elite qb prospect in the future. now that we have a chance, we have to take it. and this is not shunning the "right way" of drafting.. regime changes are usually started with a highly graded qb prospect, and they often cost a lot. sure, there are plenty of instances where it doesnt cost a lot to get a solid qb, but it's the norm for the nfl.

Everyone is speculating that the number one pick will be worth three number ones and two number twos. Even if the Skins moved up they would still end up with seven draft picks in this draft. Just because they would give up picks, they would still have manueverability to trade down and aquire more picks or use the six other picks for depth. I personally would love for them to focus on defensive line. The great teams win in the NFL with a great passing game and a great pass rush. I can't help but think that better defensive linemen would free up Orakpo and Kerrigan.

Everyone is speculating that the number one pick will be worth three number ones and two number twos.

This is a similar trade as the Vikings/Dallas Herschel Walker trade. That trade destroyed the Vikings and set the table for a decade of Cowboys dominance.

These picks are our future.

We can't afford to give our next 5 best players away to someone else.

Shanny is doing it right. I wish he doesn't get a QB just to get a QB. You have to be 100% right otherwise every other move you make is pointless. I don't care if the best 52 man roster but if your QB is of the makeup of John Beck, Akili Smith, JaMarcus Russell, the team won't be successful

If he was going to get a QB just for the sake of getting a QB, we would've taken Gabbert last year when he fell right into our laps. That one (non) move told me everything I need to know about Shanny and just reinforced my trust in him to the max.

---------- Post added December-31st-2011 at 04:04 AM ----------

This is a similar trade as the Vikings/Dallas Herschel Walker trade. That trade destroyed the Vikings and set the table for a decade of Cowboys dominance.

There's a big difference between a RB and a franchise QB. And the Herschel Walker trade was ridiculous on a number of fronts.

We got TWELVE dudes in last year's draft, and they are all still on the team. I'd take another draft like that over ONE QB.

I know most of you wouldn't, but that's how I feel. QB can wait another year if things don't line up right for us.

I know exactly how many guys we got last draft and how well they're doing. Last year's draft is the best we've had in my lifetime IMO. None of that will matter until we get a QB. None of it. We could have all the depth in the world, but with Grossman as the QB or any guy who is not a legitimate franchise-type QB, it will not matter.

Name one team for me in the playoffs this year or even in the hunt without a franchise QB? Yeah, exactly. It is time to get our guy and the two in this draft are so quality we cannot afford to lose out on them. Last year's draft is an example of exactly why we can afford to give up more picks to trade up. Shanny and Allen are good at trading down and taking talent in later rounds. Makes it so much easier for us to stomach a few high picks being traded. I don't want to wait another year for a QB and I don't think anyone does. It is Shanny's job to make things line up for us so we can do this. If somehow we absolutely can't, then trade down and keep building. But the only way I see that happening is Shanny's stubbornness coming into play. All in all, I think he gets it done this draft.

The emergence of Smith, Hurt, Helu, and Royster make it even more important that we get a qb now. The line has actually been pretty good recently. It has protected the qb well enough and generated enough holes that we've been getting fine production from the run game.

That means that qb which has always been a hole is even a bigger priority because you have a line that can protect him and a running game to support him. On the other side, you have an above average defense that is uneven, but when it's on is very good.

The team is melding in the right way for this to be the pick. The time is right. Hopefully, we choose wisely.

What Shanahan/Allen have done with this team in two severely hampered offseasons has been nothing short of amazing. It's why I get really annoyed when so many complain on here. Just one more offseason like last years and we'll be very, very good... even without a new QB. If we manage to nab an elite QB somehow we'll be great in no time.

TSO, I get your larger point but this part is very full of hyperbole. "Nothing short of amazing?" In the end, fairly or unfairly, you get defined by your record. Shanallen are building the right way, but to expect people to characterize two consecutive double-digit loss seasons as "amazing" is equally absurd. With those results of course people are going to have some criticism.

And we'll be very, very good even without an elite QB.......define "very, very good." To me that's 11-5 territory. "We'll be great in no time if we manage to nab an elite QB?" Great is 12-4 or above. Even Luck and RG3 are probably going to have a bit of a learning curve adjusting to the NFL. Expecting immediate results is setting yourself for disappointment.

I like to say that last years draft was the best draft the Redskins has had in ten years. Yes, they passed on a QB, but looking at who they were able to draft and the holes that Shannahan was able to fill make me believe he's taking the team in the right direction.. Yes a mistake was made on McNabb, but hey I'll admit that when it was announced I thought it was a great move. A coach can plan for injuries and Shannahan did that by drafting Helu and signing Hightower. When Hightower went down Helu was ready to step up. I believe that the 2012 draft will be just as good. Shannahan will pick with value in mind. We may see them trade back like we saw last year and get more draft picks. We all need to remember, that Tom Brady was a 5th round QB.

There's a big difference between a RB and a franchise QB. And the Herschel Walker trade was ridiculous on a number of fronts.

It wasn't as ridiculous at the time as it seems today. RBs were almost as important as QBs in the 1980s, I.E. Riggins and Theismann. Most fans would have kept Riggo over Joey T. had we been forced to lose one of the two while they were in their early 30s prime of their careers. Like Andrew Luck, Herchel Walker was regarded as the greatest college football player of all time, and many people still crown him that today, myself included. Walker was a can't miss product that made the entire NFL worry when he chose not to join the league out of college. When the USFL folded for good, Tom Landry suddenly looked brilliant again for having drafted Walker years earlier, despite knowing he would not be able to sign him his rookie year. The fact that Jimmy Johnson unloaded a mediocre and upper aged Walker for all of those picks was brilliant on his part, but Minni thought they were getting Jim Brown 2.0 in the rough.

In 2012 I could easily see a team acting like the Snyderatto Skins of the 2000s by trading multiple first rounders for a can't miss guy who turns out to be like Matt Leinert had he come out in 2005 fresh off a national title and the #1 overall pick.

Lets not be that team in 2012.

Herschel Walker was a veteran player. The Vikings traded for a player, not a pick. BIG difference.

In 2012 I could easily see a team acting like the Snyderatto Skins of the 2000s by trading multiple first rounders for a can't miss guy who turns out to be like Matt Leinert had he come out in 2005 fresh off a national title and the #1 overall pick.

In 2012 I could easily see a team acting like the Snyderatto Skins of the 2000s by trading multiple first rounders for a can't miss guy who turns out to be like John Elway.

Lets be that team in 2012. ;)

So what do you want Shanahan to do? If he really likes one of the top guys, would you fault him for at least trying to land him?

You can have the mindset that we should wait it out until we're REALLY bad (like 3-13 bad) so we don't have to trade up to get the top guy. The problem is that we might never be at this point. Even with Interceptus Rex leading this team in 2012, it'd probably be about a 6-9 win squad.

Now, if you want Shanny to roll with Beck next year.....we might be looking at the "Bad for Barkley" campaign :D

Let alone none of us know what he knows about QB's, Maybe he picks someone later or maybe he goes after another vet, but be sure if he passes on an available QB in the first round this year ES will explode with Shana-venom.

Herschel Walker was a veteran player. The Vikings traded for a player, not a pick. BIG difference.

Walker was a proven NFL player at the time, Luck and RG3 are not. Walker was a good NFL player, but not great. He brought hope just like Luck and RG3, all based on dominance at the NCAA level.

Archived