Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Via Twitter: Shanahan has evaluated 10 to 15 college QBs this season

Califan007 The Constipated

Who will be the next head coach at Penn ST.  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next head coach at Penn ST.

• Tom Bradley
    • Eric Mangini
    • Mike Munchak
    • Al Golden
    • Chris Petersen
    • Pat Fitzgerald
    • Rich Rodriguez
    • Ron English
    • Jim Grobe (Wake Head Coach)
    • David Cutcliffe (Duke Head Coach)
    • Brian Norwood (If RG III Leaves)
    • Tom Clements
    • Bo Pelin
    • Tony Dungy
    • Other Please Explain

Yep. It's Indy and St. Louis in the 1-2 competition. Vikings outed themselves when they beat us last week.

Agreed that it's who's trading the picks too. However, given that we're a lock for a top 10 pick, both the Rams and Colts would do right with our picks. It's almost a sure thing that both will want to build around their current quarterbacks (and the Colts will probably draft a QB to sit and learn under Manning in the first or second). The picks we offer can let them do just that. Rams could do wonders with two or three extra picks this year in helping Bradford out.

I was actually refering to what player was available when I said "who." If your coach and GM wants the top tackle, for example and they're at 2 or 3, they've got to evaluate the odds of that tackle being there at say 6, and if he's not how does the second best tackle compare to him.

---------- Post added December-31st-2011 at 08:05 PM ----------

7 with the highest possibility being 4.

I think 4 is almost impossible but we've got a good chance of getting to 6

I was actually refering to what player was available when I said "who." If your coach and GM wants the top tackle, for example and they're at 2 or 3, they've got to evaluate the odds of that tackle being there at say 6, and if he's not how does the second best tackle compare to him.

That's why you have the big boards already made (and most GMs would sacrifice the best tackle for the second best + 3 other picks).

Oh, we're keeping Rex. He's going to be the backup if we draft Luck or RG3 (and training the third stringer to become the second stringer in a year or two), or the starter for the first part of the season if we draft a "second tier" Quarterback (Tannehill, Weeden, Cousins).

Oh you have to, no doubt about it and it doesn't bother me either. From what I remember, Kyle said he would start a rookie day one, but I'm assuming he's talking someone like Luck, Barkley (yes he's out now) or RGIII. Not so sure you would with Tannehill, but maybe Jones.

Just happy we have competent people now who understand what needs to be done, that's the most important part. Now they just need to go with someone who can get it done, rather than settling with someone.

I watched Tannenhill today, not my first game seeing him, and he looks fantastic in some points, and shaky in others.

From the few games I've seen, his arm looks like one of the strongest in college (today I don't think it was as prevalent, but previous games it has been). I think it's the stuff he's missed from not being a QB for long, footwork, some of his decisions, that make me kind of neutral on him. He did well under pressure today, but he does look like someone that hasn't had much time at QB. The good thing is, most of the negative stuff I've seen from him could potentially be fixed, but he's not NFL ready today.

That isn't a huge negative or anything, I just think we will have to be more patient with him. I also think, if you want your QB, and you believe Tannenhill is the guy, then pick him. I would imagine that Shanahan has grown tired of having garbage at QB for the last 2 years and is ready to go get his guy, whatever it takes.

I can say, I wouldn't be upset with the pick. I don't necessarily love it, but I wouldn't be put out by it either. I think he's got as much potential as anyone, and we obviously haven't seen his ceiling since he's only played QB for a short time.

Not a big deal! Most good coaches, and Front Offices do this on a regular basis.

Question is who are the QBs he is evaluating.

At present, my gut feeling tells me that if Luck is not in play we may have our eye on Tennehill.

I watched Tannenhill today, not my first game seeing him, and he looks fantastic in some points, and shaky in others.

Same here. My issue with Tannehill right now is he doesn't seem for the most part to be a game breaking QB like an RG 3 and Luck. When I watch him, I don't get the vibe that this dude is scary good when he gets on a roll like i do with the other 2 QBs. I wonder about his decision making, he can throw his share of picks. He had one in this game and could have easily had another. But he has a strong arm and can run. I am sort of neutral on Tannehill, but if Shanny likes him I am on board.

Same here. My issue with Tannehill right now is he doesn't seem for the most part to be a game breaking QB like an RG 3 and Luck. When I watch him, I don't get the vibe that this dude is scary good when he gets on a roll like i do with the other 2 QBs. I wonder about his decision making, he can throw his share of picks. He had one in this game and could have easily had another. But he has a strong arm and can run. I am sort of neutral on Tannehill, but if Shanny likes him I am on board.

He has much less experience at the QB position. I wouldn't judge him based on how he looks right now, as he is more of a project. He has the tools and the raw talent IMO.

Well of course Luck would be in the mix. But, obviously, price will be too high. But it's completely reasonable that Griffin isn't on the radar. May not be the right fit.

Well, I'd disagree with you on Griff, but we won't know until draft day. I would say that judging by Kyle's comments recently about QB's that Griff would be fine. You'd be really dumb to look at him and think we can't make him work for our offense. He's got rare talent.

Well of course Luck would be in the mix. But, obviously, price will be too high. But it's completely reasonable that Griffin isn't on the radar. May not be the right fit.

Alot of analysts have rated him the #1 QB in the draft over Luck.

Tannehill's game yesterday was the perfect example of why he was supposed to be a 2nd rounder. He has flashes of huge potential but periodically makes poor decisions (who does this sound like....FUUUU...).

I think a lot of the problems stem from a lack of experience, but Tannehill shouldn't be anything higher than a late 1st rounder. Of course, the problem is, he is quite possibly the #3 QB in the draft, and therefore will almost certainly be drafted really high.

Ugh, this year had such promise for us getting our QB of the future through the draft, but then Jones had to stink up the joint so bad that he probably goes back, and Barkley decided to get homesick and move everyone up a peg. Only way this could get worse is if RGIII decides to not declare (knock on wood).

sorry but this is absolute bs. You may have someone you talk with and they may be a janitor but all this talk is false. skins have had it 1.Rg3 2. Luck for weeks now..

sorry but this is absolute bs. You may have someone you talk with and they may be a janitor but all this talk is false. skins have had it 1.Rg3 2. Luck for weeks now..

Wow, that's surprising that RG3 is higher. Not that I expected Luck to be leaps and bounds ahead of RG3, but I thought it was 1a. Luck and 1b. RG3

Not that I'm complaining either though

They are a 10 win team with Manning as QB. They just don't need another QB right now.

They were a ten win team two years ago. When guys like Manning, Wayne, Saturday, Clark, Freeney, and Mathis were two years younger. Those guys as a whole aren't as good as they were (assuming all of them even come back). The Colts have a lack of young talent (their last 4 or so drafts have been awful). And two years ago they weren't a Super Bowl contender, just a playoff team. If you bring Manning back with the current squad, it's maybe a playoff team (and partly because that division is terrible). But championship window has closed. Maybe they can bring in enough guys to re-open that window, but it's not easy. Particularly with how bad some of their drafts have gone.

So its either a choice between betting on long odds for a very short window, or building a possible nother 10-15 year window. I don't know what they will do. But it's not an easy decision either way.

He has much less experience at the QB position. I wouldn't judge him based on how he looks right now, as he is more of a project. He has the tools and the raw talent IMO.

I agree. The fact that he's only had a short time as a QB can be a really really good thing, or a really really bad thing. But, he's done pretty remarkable for only being a QB for a year or two. Wonder what he would have looked like as a 4 year starter at QB.

The thing that does worry me (on the really really bad side) is that if he's having trouble not throwing INTs (even though I think his accuracy has been pretty outstanding) is when the windows get smaller, how will that affect his confidence? It may not bother him and he'll adapt, just like he has done it in college so fast, or he could crumble. If he adapts, this guy COULD be scary good. If he crumbles, we're pretty much ******. :ols:

They were a ten win team two years ago. When guys like Manning, Wayne, Saturday, Clark, Freeney, and Mathis were two years younger. Those guys as a whole aren't as good as they were (assuming all of them even come back). The Colts have a lack of young talent (their last 4 or so drafts have been awful). And two years ago they weren't a Super Bowl contender, just a playoff team. If you bring Manning back with the current squad, it's maybe a playoff team (and partly because that division is terrible). But championship window has closed. Maybe they can bring in enough guys to re-open that window, but it's not easy. Particularly with how bad some of their drafts have gone.

So its either a choice between betting on long odds for a very short window, or building a possible nother 10-15 year window. I don't know what they will do. But it's not an easy decision either way.

2 years ago they lost in the SB so they was the very definition of SB contender.

jennings is out today and the kid is still doin his thing, so im not sure what your getting at. We do not need flash, this guy is a guy that brings a huge work ethic and is very solid. he would save us from drafting a qb and we could build more to this through draft that way.

---------- Post added January-1st-2012 at 03:58 PM ----------

he is a free agent after this yr, we could get him by means of free agency. Hes gonna be heavily persued

LL everyone is talking about moving up to the #2 spot to grab RG3, but is it unrealistic to think we could move up to the Colts spot at #1? That way we wouldn't have to risk the Colts taking RG3 or another team offering the Rams more and moving up to #2.

Also, let's say the Colts take RG3 and we move up to #2. Luck isn't such a bad consolation prize. Would you be happy with that? I know the Skins have it 1.RG2 and 2. Luck, but how big is the gap?

LL everyone is talking about moving up to the #2 spot to grab RG3, but is it unrealistic to think we could move up to the Colts spot at #1? That way we wouldn't have to risk the Colts taking RG3 or another team offering the Rams more and moving up to #2.

Also, let's say the Colts take RG3 and we move up to #2. Luck isn't such a bad consolation prize. Would you be happy with that? I know the Skins have it 1.RG2 and 2. Luck, but how big is the gap?

I think rg2 is a little past his prime bro.Luck is not a bad second option but u would be dissapointed in missing RG3.

I think rg2 is a little past his prime bro.Luck is not a bad second option but u would be dissapointed in missing RG3.

lol i hear rg2 still has some legs on him. yeah i agree, it would definitely be disappointing to miss out on rg3. so why not move up to the first pick?

Archived