Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Via Twitter: Shanahan has evaluated 10 to 15 college QBs this season

Califan007 The Constipated

Who will be the next head coach at Penn ST.  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next head coach at Penn ST.

• Tom Bradley
    • Eric Mangini
    • Mike Munchak
    • Al Golden
    • Chris Petersen
    • Pat Fitzgerald
    • Rich Rodriguez
    • Ron English
    • Jim Grobe (Wake Head Coach)
    • David Cutcliffe (Duke Head Coach)
    • Brian Norwood (If RG III Leaves)
    • Tom Clements
    • Bo Pelin
    • Tony Dungy
    • Other Please Explain

All that's nice, but he's whiffed miserably on the last three veterans (McNabb, Grossman, Beck). And he expressed his desire to draft Beck cuz he thought Beck was a pretty good QB coming out of BYU. He's QB record is spotty in total.

In that case he also "expressed his desire" to draft Romo sits to pee as well...so I think overall the scales still tip favorably for Shanahan.

I hate losing to the Eagles, but it might be our best shot at RGlll and the 4th overall pick.

Specially after Howard Balzer via Twitter: 1st overall pick could cost 6 1st picks

That's ridiculous...

Could we spread that over multiply teams? Nationals 2012 and 2013, Wizards 2013, Capitals 2012, Skins 2012 and 2013. XD

Even if it would happen then one player has a huge probleme...and that is Luck. How much pressure to preform can you handel, if you don't win a Super Bowl within 3 years people might already call you a bust for that amount of value. Anything less then a Hall of Fame career would dissapoint me then.

Tannehill

I would love us to get Luck or RGIII but if the price to trade up is too high I would be pleased to take Tannehill maybe even with the bonus of trading back a bit and picking up another 2nd round pick. Along with this we say signPeyton Manning if the Colts release him or another free agent QB like Flynn as a placeholder if Manning is not cut loose as I do think Tannehill will need some time to develop and learn the offense.

My fear is this team settles for a quarterback. Everyone knows the team needs one. And I'm glad the team did not reach last year for a guy like Gabbert or Ponder once Newton and Locker were off the board. Either Gabbert or Ponder can still turn out to be a decent QB, but I highly doubt either ever turn out to be a franchise QB. And this team has already done decent with Jason Campbell (Yes, he was decent). And you really don't win with just decent.

The list for 2012 goes Luck, Griffin, Barkley (not necessarily in that order). With Barkley gone, that limits the options. I know Griffin has not officially declared either, but I'd be shocked if he came back. But as the draft sits, it seems likely both are done before the Redskins pick (unless the team trades). In that scenario, the team is looking at guys like Landry Jones (if he comes out) or Tannehill. And I fear those are just more Gabberts and Ponders.

Look, I'm not expert. No one can accurately predict every QBs career. Even high picks are risky. But I fear this team will pick a QB no matter what (how long will Shanahan just throw away seasons with Grossman/Beck?). And as the draft position worsens and QBs stay in school, that just increases the chance for a reach. And a repeat of Patrick Ramsey or Jason Campbell (or worse). And that just sets the franchise back even more. I would love a good young QB in DC. Just make sure its the right QB.

I hope the scouts find someone they love and can draft. And don't just draft a decent guy because they feel they have too...

Tannehill

As always, thanks for the insight LL56. It is great getting any tidbits from the insiders and I appreciate it.

Tannehill had a great year and seems like the prototypical QB. However, are there any concerns that he has only started at QB for about one and a half years? I like that he was a WR and his mobility could help him out in the NFL. Is he a one year wonder or is this the beginning of a great QB career?

Thanks again and Hail!

FWIW, talked to someone last night who has ties to the organization. He said that Skins most likely not going QB in round 1 now. Said Skins wanted Barkley, but he's staying in school.

Of course that could be wrong or could change, but I don't think he was BSing me.

Out of Barkley Luck and Griff we were only targeting Barkley? C'mon.

FWIW, talked to someone last night who has ties to the organization. He said that Skins most likely not going QB in round 1 now. Said Skins wanted Barkley, but he's staying in school.

Of course that could be wrong or could change, but I don't think he was BSing me.

No offense Buggs, but I really doubt we have no interest in Luck or RG3. Sounds like either shadow games or your source was just talking to talk.

No offense Buggs, but I really doubt we have no interest in Luck or RG3. Sounds like either shadow games or your source was just talking to talk.

I think what he was saying is that if barkley had come out we would have give for him. With three top ten qbs out there the price for one drops if you need to move up. With two out there the prices goes way up.

That being said, if st Louis gets the #1 pick and RGIII comes out we are going to see some interesting things.

Manning in Washington with tannenhill drafted is still very much in play.

Manning in Washington makes zero sense to me. It's the same desperate move that got Brunell and McNabb here. A once good player added to a mediocre team to hope it makes the playoffs once or twice before it all falls apart.

I'll grant you Manning is way better than either Brunell or McNabb, although health is a bigger question. But this team is not the 2009 Vikings. Its not a QB away from the Super Bowl. Strides have been made, but there's still a lot of problems out there, post notably at OL and WR

I know a person who knows RG3's fiance very well.....RG3 is really struggling with his decision to turn pro. He loves college life, wants to finish his educational goals. But after watching last night's Alamo Bowl, and knowing his star receiver and running back are leaving and that horrid offensive line of his, I would hope he realizes it is time to turn pro. He has already graduated with his BS. He wants to finish his Masters and get a law degree. He can do that in his off season. He has been engaged over a year; time to make the little lady happy with a new home in NOVA; and time to make life comfortable for his parents. He's won the Heisman and has nothing left to prove on the college football field..

Being in the nations capital should be very appealing to him with his law aspirations. Of course this would be after winning multiple superbowls and becoming one of this town's great sports legends. Bit of a stretch at this point but one can hope.

Manning in Washington makes zero sense to me. It's the same desperate move that got Brunell and McNabb here. A once good player added to a mediocre team to hope it makes the playoffs once or twice before it all falls apart.

I'll grant you Manning is way better than either Brunell or McNabb, although health is a bigger question. But this team is not the 2009 Vikings. Its not a QB away from the Super Bowl. Strides have been made, but there's still a lot of problems out there, post notably at OL and WR

IF he is a free agent and you can draft a qb of the future to learn behind him for three years, what is the downside?

Tannehill has looked good today and his receivers have dropped a number of passes.

Exactly. He should be 21/24 instead of 17/24. He had one drive where his receivers dropped 3 straight passes leading to a 3 and out. Considering that, he's looking darn good. He might just earn a 1st round pick from some team yet (possibly us, but hopefully not without trading down).

i know its early but at this point where is tannehill projected to go.

He started the season as a probable 2nd rounder, but had moved up into the late 1st/early 2nd. Now he's probably a lock for the 1st round thanks to Barkley returning, and if Jones doesn't declare, he could potentially go in the 1st half of the 1st round. Think Ponder.

He started the season as a probable 2nd rounder, but had moved up into the late 1st/early 2nd. Now he's probably a lock for the 1st round thanks to Barkley returning, and if Jones doesn't declare, he could potentially go in the 1st half of the 1st round. Think Ponder.

id be happy with us trading back in the first round maybe even twice and snagging this kid.

He seems to have a lot of potential.

great spiral and velocity on his throws.

IF he is a free agent and you can draft a qb of the future to learn behind him for three years, what is the downside?

Manning would eat up a huge amount of cap space that we could use to grab pretty much all the top FAs we want. Basically, if we go after Manning, it's either him, or the rest of FA, but we can't have both. I can't see Shanahan doing that.

And even if he could still get solid FAs and Manning, he probably avoids that after the McNabb debacle. Once bitten twice shy, and rightfully so.

And even still, this is assuming Manning is perfectly healthy, AND is easily capable of picking up a new system after being in the same one for 10+ years.

Basically, there's a lot of hurdles for it to work. And all the while, the same argument could be made to the Colts for keeping Manning. Re-sign him, trade down and grab a developmental guy. I'd say there's a 2% Manning is our QB next year.

With Miami behind us in order I dont think we can afford to consider trading back and still grabbing Tannehill....I say trade up for Luck or Griffin but if the cost is just too steap, we need to pounce on our guy when we pick.... Who thought Ponder and Locker would go as high as they did last year? Tannehill will be the same...

Archived