Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Via Twitter: Shanahan has evaluated 10 to 15 college QBs this season

Califan007 The Constipated

Who will be the next head coach at Penn ST.  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next head coach at Penn ST.

• Tom Bradley
    • Eric Mangini
    • Mike Munchak
    • Al Golden
    • Chris Petersen
    • Pat Fitzgerald
    • Rich Rodriguez
    • Ron English
    • Jim Grobe (Wake Head Coach)
    • David Cutcliffe (Duke Head Coach)
    • Brian Norwood (If RG III Leaves)
    • Tom Clements
    • Bo Pelin
    • Tony Dungy
    • Other Please Explain

No way I see any trade up costing anything like what is being talked about. We have the Colts & Rams wanting out of the heat. I'd say you end up with a few GM's on a teleconf' agreeing who's trading with who long before the draft. Bottom line' date=' they want to trade down, no point ****ting in your own nest too much. I smell collusion in the air.[/quote']

Something along the lines of 4 picks will do it. The funny thing is the 2nd round pick this season will be the delima. We want to keep that one.

Something along the lines of 4 picks will do it. The funny thing is the 2nd round pick this season will be the delima. We want to keep that one.

Not suprised, Skins traded back 3 times in 2011 with a 2nd rounder. You could almost trade away our 3rd & our two 4ths instead, then get them back via trades with our retained 2nd.

Lol, I pmed you that same thing a day or two ago. Great minds or great sources think alike. Lol

Lol nothing different then i have been saying for months. Chris Mortenson also has been on the " people in the colts organization want a new coach and qb " run latley as well. I think its odvious they dont want one so the decision is out of their hands since a luck/manning together in indy is unlikley. Any info about skins wanting to target Barkley is complete BS and its been Rg3 & luck. In the race with Barkley at the time a clear 3rd choice.

Shanny talking about the draft yesterday

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast

Greg Martin of Freehold, N.J., says he's on board with Shanahan's change of philosophy and believes it has paid dividends. Greg wanted to know if this year's Redskins draft strategy would be similar to last year's, when Washington traded down and amassed more picks, or if they'd consider trading "multiple current or future picks for one player, QB or otherwise."

MS: You just never know. If anybody says they know the draft ... It takes one person before you, one person after you... You never know what somebody wants to get a deal done. I don't know [if I can trade up] because I really don't know what the value is. I mean, are you looking at three No. 1s? Three No. 2s? And who's the guy? Is it the first pick? Is it the second or third? How bad does that team want to move out of there? You just don't know.

I followed up with a question about the reports and speculation that it could take three No. 1 picks to trade up to the No. 1 spot and take Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck and asked if he considered that realistic or sensible. He responded with a comparison to the 2002 deal in which the Oakland Raiders got two first-round picks, two second-round picks and cash from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in exchange for head coach Jon Gruden.

MS: I told Jon, 'No offense, but you're not worth that much! And don't go to the place where they're giving up the two No. 1s for you.' I mean, it just handcuffs you.

Finally, I asked if he thought his team was close enough to contending that he could afford to give away a big trove of draft picks for one player he really wanted.

MS: No. In fact that's why, when we went from 10 to 16 [in last year's draft] and we were able to get that extra second-rounder from Jacksonville, we were able to parlay that where we got [Leonard] Hankerson, we got [Roy] Helu and we got [DeJon] Gomes. So by going from 10 to 16, not only did we get Jarvis Jenkins, but we were able to get those three players. And those are three starters for us.

Much more to come, as I said, in the coming days. But hopefully this is good stuff for you guys to chew on for a bit. Thanks for your help with the interview.

Lol nothing different then i have been saying for months. Chris Mortenson also has been on the " people in the colts organization want a new coach and qb " run latley as well. I think its odvious they dont want one so the decision is out of their hands since a luck/manning together in indy is unlikley. Any info about skins wanting to target Barkley is complete BS and its been Rg3 & luck. In the race with Barkley at the time a clear 3rd choice.

They are a 10 win team with Manning as QB. They just don't need another QB right now.

They are a 10 win team with Manning as QB. They just don't need another QB right now.

I do not disagree with that but our opinion does not matter. The colts as a organization w

Ere pretty much a laughing stock minus days with Unitas and a few good seasons with J.Haurbaugh at qb. Looking at their situation if they believe Andrew Luck will be that good then i can understand why they would take him and deal with the short term backlash for a percieved long term soulution at QB. A small market team like the colts cant afford to not take luck and stay with Manning because potential franchise guys dont come around all the time and rarely when you need them most.

Shanny talking about the draft yesterday

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast

Actually liked his answer to the first question in that piece:

Kent Senter of Falls Church, Va., wanted to know why Shanahan has been preaching that the Redskins' rebuilding project must take time while a coach like Jim Harbaugh can come in and turn the San Francisco 49ers around in one year.

Shanahan: We had dealt a lot through free agency and not the draft. San Francisco did a great job through the draft, they did a great job with their organization. If you take a look at the players that they have playing for them over the last three or four years, take a look at their draft choices and the free agents that they did acquire, they had some pretty good picks. Here, they'd traded away a lot of the draft choices. I think everybody knows that -- the history of the Redskins and draft choices. But we talked about, when I came here, that with the salary cap you've got to build through the draft. You just can't keep on signing high-priced free agents, because there's no way you can develop the depth. And so we had to change philosophies and we've done that and hopefully it pays dividends.

In other words: We are doing the opposite of what that doofus Vinny did............

I do not disagree with that but our opinion does not matter. The colts as a organization w

Ere pretty much a laughing stock minus days with Unitas and a few good seasons with J.Haurbaugh at qb. Looking at their situation if they believe Andrew Luck will be that good then i can understand why they would take him and deal with the short term backlash for a percieved long term soulution at QB. A small market team like the colts cant afford to not take luck and stay with Manning because potential franchise guys dont come around all the time and rarely when you need them most.

A good example of this would be the Packers with Favre, and not when they drafted Rodgers, but before that. They really held on to their Franchise QB for a while before drafting Rodgers way past Favre's prime. Luck is relatively unknown and its the general consensus that a healthy Manning will physically be able to make all his throws for another 4 years at least. If they draft Luck they are putting Manning in the hole due to not drafting depth and the Luck in the hole with such a bad team.

Manning and Luck cannot be on the same team, it won't work financially without them being hamstrung in the cap thus hurting their roster. Too keep Manning and Luck is to pretty much set the team back in an effort to have a 100+ million dollar mentor Luck.

Lastly, there is no way Peyton Manning will not be in a Colts uniform next year. He sells Jerseys, and for a team like the colts thats pretty big. Everyone knows who Peyton Manning is and they buy tickets just to see him play. Even if Luck becomes a good NFL qb, (like an Eli Manning type) he wont get the exposure that Manning did. If they were to draft a QB it would have to be later in the draft, where the price tag isnt too big and the expectations are a few years away.

I agree with you Tsoe that the Colts would be better served drafting a QB later on. Say for example they do trade down out of likely the 2nd pick, the Colts would get a bevy of draft picks, meaning they could target Tannehill later in the draft, or they'd have ammo to get a franchise QB next draft if they need one.

I agree with Lavarleap's reasoning though that the Colts may feel that Luck is their best chance to get a franchise B replacement, and Polian has shown that w/o Manning he isn't that great at drafting talent, so he may get desperate for another Manning to ease his woes.

It would still be a risk taking Luck because it would alienate Peyton to a degree, which isn't wise for a small market team that owes it's popularity to Manning. The Colts would lose a significant part of their fanbase in Indy potentially, or at least disenfranchise them, and would definitely lose the large TN following they have solely because Manning is on their team.

Is Indy definately set for the number 1 or 2 pick? If they win and the Rams and Vikings lose could they bump up to number three?

Also don't just assume a trade will happen if you offer the right deal. Just as important is who's at what spot? If a team loves a guy at the 2 or 3 spot and figure he'd be gone if they traded to six or seven they probably wouldn't make the deal no matter what you offered.

Is Indy definately set for the number 1 or 2 pick? If they win and the Rams and Vikings lose could they bump up to number three?

Also don't just assume a trade will happen if you offer the right deal. Just as important is who's at what spot? If a team loves a guy at the 2 or 3 spot and figure he'd be gone if they traded to six or seven they probably wouldn't make the deal no matter what you offered.

The Colts am pretty sure gets the tie breaker against the Vikings and won't pick lower than #2.

Yep. It's Indy and St. Louis in the 1-2 competition. Vikings outed themselves when they beat us last week.

Agreed that it's who's trading the picks too. However, given that we're a lock for a top 10 pick, both the Rams and Colts would do right with our picks. It's almost a sure thing that both will want to build around their current quarterbacks (and the Colts will probably draft a QB to sit and learn under Manning in the first or second). The picks we offer can let them do just that. Rams could do wonders with two or three extra picks this year in helping Bradford out.

I just want one of the bigger guys that has a strong arm and smart with the football, whoever that is WITHOUT saccrificing picks.

Also agree with some on here suggesting we take a second QB to absorb the playbook while our stud and Rex take the lumps. All the position tiers within the team need a steady pipeline of youth learning.

I think the biggest positive is Kyle admitting we need a QB. No more love for 'his boy' Rex.

Oh, we're keeping Rex. He's going to be the backup if we draft Luck or RG3 (and training the third stringer to become the second stringer in a year or two), or the starter for the first part of the season if we draft a "second tier" Quarterback (Tannehill, Weeden, Cousins).

Archived