Redskins sign RB Stafon Johnson to practice squad

Height: 5-11 Weight: 222 Age: 23

Born: 2/6/1988 Compton , CA

College: USC

Experience: 2nd season

High School: Dorsey HS [Los Angeles, CA]

You may remember him from his weight room accident at USC

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4512778

please click on link for full article...

Johnson suffers extensive neck injuries

LOS ANGELES -- Southern California tailback Stafon Johnson is unlikely to play again this season after a falling weight bar crushed his neck and larynx.

The senior who scored the No. 7 Trojans' go-ahead touchdown against Ohio State two weeks ago was bench-pressing when the bar slipped from his right hand and fell onto his throat.

A few months ago, Jeremiah Masoli was a Heisman Trophy candidate and the quarterback of a national title contender. But he blew it. Times two, writes ESPN.com's Ted Miller. Blog

Johnson was in critical but stable condition late Monday night after more than seven hours of surgery, said Katreena Salgado, a spokeswoman for California Hospital Medical Center.

He was treated for crushing injuries to his neck as well as severe injuries to his larynx, said the hospital's trauma medical director, Dr. Gudata Hinika. Stan Johnson, the player's father, told ESPN's Shelley Smith that his son needed a tracheotomy to enable him to breathe.

According to the Los Angeles Times, a source close to the family said surgeons worked to realign Johnson's larynx in hopes he will be able to use his voice.

I am shocked that Pete Carrol didn't sign him at any point since he left USC, especially with such a bare cupboard minus Lynch. To be honest, the dude was a best at USC and his story is remarkable. I was rooting for him to make a comeback and would love for him to someday have a role with my team. Good luck Stafon! HTTR!

How many active running back are we going to carry next year? 3....

It's getting hard to get excited about RBs playing for Shanahan, you could be gone as quick as you came. Torain looked like he was going to be good after last year. Gone.

I'm starting to think Hightower is going to be a similar story next year.

We'll see what Johnson has in preseason, if he makes it that far.

I'd take it as a sign we're relatively happy with Hightower, Helu and Royster, and we're not going to draft another RB. The issue we have with our RBs is durability. Before the season began there was a question whether Hightower could take a bigger workload, and he got worn down and then injured. Helu started to get a lot of carries, then he got worn down and injured too. Having another back waiting in the wings seems prudent.

Archived