Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Worst QB decison of 2011

Burgold

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I first voted for the Colts for not only passing on a viable QB in the draft, but also believing Kerry Collins had ANYTHING left in the tank. Collins was Gabbert-bad until he got IR'd.

Which brings me to the Jaguars, who I originally should have voted for. Draft Gabbert, cut Garrard, start McCown, bench McCown, and then start Gabbert for the remainder of the season. I'm not calling Gabbert a bust, be he obviously isn't ready yet, and the Jaguars should have known that instead of putting him out there against the firing squad on an abyssmal Jacksonville team.

1. Oakland. They gave up 2 firsts.

2. Kolb. Skelton has played better in alot of their fans opinion.

3. Jaguars. They reached for a Qb named Blaine.

4. Vikings. Ponder is serviceable but not a 12th overall type of guy.

5. Redskins- have done nothing

The best moves were made by Colts for not panicking and now they can get Luck. The Panthers took Cam when all the fools were talking foolishness. The Titans taking Locker under our noses and Philadelphia suckering another team for picks and a player.

Actually, you could look at it as the Skins made the best move by not making the mistakes others did. We didn't punt two firsts for Palmer, we didn't waste more picks on another Philly loser, we didn't waste a first on a guy like Gabbert and we didn't waste a lot of money on a guy like Hassleback who gets hurt throwing a pass without being hit. Looking LONG TERM like Shanny is, we will get our guy.

I went with ARZ for all the talk and value they invested in Kolb.....they got ZERO in return.

I agree completely and have to say that I saw it coming. It's just another example of the Reid machine making a quarterback look better than he is. It's an amazing system.

The Colts.

How long has Curtis Painter been there?

They had such little trust in him they went out and tried to bring in Kerry Collins and had him starting a week after arrival.. to predicable results. They waited til the absolute last possible moment to react to the possibility of Manning missing significant time. And they reacted like panicked stooges. Everyone seemed to know there was no way he was playing this year... except them.

Then they did go with Painter and found out they were right in that he should have never been made the starter, but the fact they had him as their backup shows that they really just completely ignored the possibility that Manning would ever not be there.

They went from a Super Bowl contender to an absolute joke because they totally failed in having any QB depth that is even comptetent enough to warrant them not hitting the panic button instantly and signing Collins.

the message they sent their team was loud and clear, and they've paid for their folly all season.. not only in their record, but in that their front office has been shown to be a complete failure.

~Bang

The Colts.

How long has Curtis Painter been there?

They had such little trust in him they went out and tried to bring in Kerry Collins and had him starting a week after arrival.. to predicable results. They waited til the absolute last possible moment to react to the possibility of Manning missing significant time. And they reacted like panicked stooges. Everyone seemed to know there was no way he was playing this year... except them.

Then they did go with Painter and found out they were right in that he should have never been made the starter, but the fact they had him as their backup shows that they really just completely ignored the possibility that Manning would ever not be there.

They went from a Super Bowl contender to an absolute joke because they totally failed in having any QB depth that is even comptetent enough to warrant them not hitting the panic button instantly and signing Collins.

the message they sent their team was loud and clear, and they've paid for their folly all season.. not only in their record, but in that their front office has been shown to be a complete failure.

~Bang

I agree that they made huge mistakes; for my money they should have never cut Orlovsky in preseason. However, wouldn't you say that it's a worse mistake to miss on your starter than your backup? I understand that Manning's injury was well-known so they should have handled it with the care that a starter typically requires, but the Kolb trade hurts the Cards for more than this year. Plus, and I know it sounds crazy (I really do), but if Caldwell doesn't get fired I could see some merit to the "Amazing Tanking Colts" theory. They may or may not need Luck, but one thing is absolutely certain: that pick is incredibly valuable this year and you can throw away the pick value chart.

On a different point, I don't really understand why the Vikings are on the list at all. The Vikings did exactly what many other teams do, which is to find a veteran who is relatively familiar with the system and let him play until it makes more sense to start the rookie.

The Raiders made a decision that was both unwise short-term and extremely damaging long-term with that Palmer move, so they run away with this one. If you wanted to include the draft, I'd say that the Jaguars ****ed up pretty badly too. Gabbert looks terrible but what's even worse is releasing Gerrard right before the start of the season and throwing Gabbert, perhaps the least NFL-ready QB in that entire draft, straight into the fire.

I agree that they made huge mistakes; for my money they should have never cut Orlovsky in preseason. However, wouldn't you say that it's a worse mistake to miss on your starter than your backup? I understand that Manning's injury was well-known so they should have handled it with the care that a starter typically requires, but the Kolb trade hurts the Cards for more than this year. Plus, and I know it sounds crazy (I really do), but if Caldwell doesn't get fired I could see some merit to the "Amazing Tanking Colts" theory. They may or may not need Luck, but one thing is absolutely certain: that pick is incredibly valuable this year and you can throw away the pick value chart.

On a different point, I don't really understand why the Vikings are on the list at all. The Vikings did exactly what many other teams do, which is to find a veteran who is relatively familiar with the system and let him play until it makes more sense to start the rookie.

I think it's a huge problem to miss on your starter. No doubt. But it happens way more often than not because it's almost always an all or nothing shot on a team that is in desperate need.

With the Colts, they had the luxury of Manning to have time to find a guy they would at least trust to play even ONE game before panicking and making the stupid signing of Collins.

The fact they did cut Orlovsky (and the fact he's played relatively well in his shot now) is more indication that they treated the whole thing with a careless attitude of believing Peyton would never go down.

AND, one could even make a case that the fact that his absence has caused SUCH a turnaround in the performance and record of the entire team also shows that Jim Caldwell maybe doesn't know what he's doing, if indeed he had to do much at all up til now.

I think the people who make the decisions rode on Manning's coattails so long they believed the ride would last forever.

Nevermind the neck surgery. He's a 13 year vet. When were they going to start looking for a successor? It seems they haven't even bothered to think about it.

The whole debacle is a pretty strong damnation of the Colts decision makers.

And i agree with the Vikings point. Maybe because they bought into McNabb, but they made their draft pick last year and he's getting his time. (and on an entirely off point.. How the hell did London Fletcher not get a 15 yard personal foul for that shot that put Ponder out? Holy smokes, he pummelled him square in the face. I was amazed there was no flag, and even more amazed when they showed it in slow-mo and you could see the impact on his helmet.)

~Bang

I said Minny. I know the saying is three strikes you're out, but maybe after two teams decided he wasn't a starting NFL QB you take the hint. Oh, wait... you mean the Shanahans weren't wrong for benching him?

Others are equally foolish though.

This is why I chose Minny as well. Taking McNabb was a horrible decision and proved to be the biggest blunder this year.

Arizona... They give up draft picks and sign Kolb to a huge contract for little return...

At least the Eagles got some wins from Michael Vick.

Minnesota had a veteran QB, a rookie first round QB, and another backup QB who has produced since last season.

Redskins were going into the season with one really crappy QB and one QB who has produced as soon as last season but has regressed....

Colts said "screw it".

With the Cards, at least Kolb strings together a decent performance every now and then, and with a season to improve that o-line and maybe get SOMEONE on that offense besides Larry Fitzgerald and Beanie Wells, they'll be fine. At least in the NFC West.

With the Vikings, yeah, they missed on McNabb, badly. But they had a first round draft pick and a very talented second year player BEHIND him. At the very least, the Vikings can chalk things up to a rebuilding season, and again, they can improve.

With the Redskins...we all pretty much thought thi sseason was going to suck, regardless of it we picked up a quarterback or not. Who knows where we'd be if Rex hadn't gotten pnemonia. In a weird way, getting sick is the best thing that happened to Rex, as we realized Beck was garbage, and he lost some weight.

The Colts have no excuses. Anyone who has ever seen Curtis Painter "play" knows he sucks. Curtis Painter (with some help from Jim Caldwell) helped the Colts lose the perfect season. At least Aaron Rodgers can look back and say "you know what, I helped lose us the perfect season". Peyton didn't even have a shot at it with Curtis Painter out there.

And then you bring in a retired Kerry Collins...I mean, this isn't getting a relatively young and healthy Carson Palmer off his couch. They bought in KERRY COLLINS, and then made him the starter because they knew Painter couldn't play. And if you watched preseason, Orlovsky wasn't spot on, but he STILL looked better than Painter. They acted like complete idiots not just this season, but BEFORE this season. How do you have a team that's capable of making a Super Bowl every year and make that kind of frak up, where you have NO back-up quarterback? They would've been better off resigning Hunter "The Punter" Smith and making HIM quarterback over Painter.

The Colts never even fathomed that Peyton Manning could get hurt, and that lack of foresight trumps everything else every team has done. This isn't us giving Rex a shot after he had a decent end of the season last year, or the Bears rolling with Caleb Hanie after he played damn well in the NFC Championship game. Everyone knew Painter couldn't friggin' play. And they rolled with him and then panicked and the bought in Collins and then had start him anyway.

Idiots. The whole lot of them.

I'm going to say Colts. They have zero excuse. He's been a back up for years now and he they never prepared him. What's the 2nd most important position on your football team? back up QB.

That being said, I say Shanny rolls out the #12 car (is that Beck's number?) for the last game. If your rep is on the line why not give him a full week to prepare and put up or shut up?

Colts. They had an injury to one of the best QBs in the league. I don't see why they are even on the list most back ups can't lead a team and this is twice as true for a team lacking a running game or dominant defense. They made bad decisions in their other areas over the years that combined to make their situation this year.

Vikings. What was the horrible decision here? Mcnabb was purely a place holder for their drafted QB. He was less of a problem then the Vikings suddenly insane bad defense. They didn't give up much for Mcnabb. Had they traded a lot for him it would be a different story.

Eagles. They overpaid for Vick certainly but weve seen Mcnabb and Kolb fail so they ended up with by far the best choice available to them.

Redkins. Entering a season with the turnover machine and the Beck was bad. The latest bad move in a string of bad moves at the position. Unlike last year however it cost the team nothing moving forward.

Cardinals. This is the worst move IMO. They traded a ton for a QB that has turned out to be terrible so far. Including a proven good corner in that trade made it borderline criminal.

Colts didn't pan out, but you can't fault them for going with a tenured back-up. Cards have done ok with Kolb, but does seem a bad decision, but only season 1.

Cards have done ok with Skelton. Kolb has done absolutely nothing for them, they gave up way too much for an unproven QB because of a handful of games he played. In my opinion, Arizona is the winner(loser) of this battle.

So hard to choose, hmmmm, which one? I ultimate chose the Eagles because of Vick's contract plus the added Dream Team factor. But it was a very hard choice. I mean, watching the Colt's preseasons over the years and their backup was so bad, why didn't the Colt's prepare more if Manning had gotten hurt, even in previous years?

Really, it could have been any of those teams on the list.

Don't know how anyone can say anything but our Redskins.

Rex Grossman is a known commodity. And for whatever reason, they wanted to start him. And then, because he goes and does what he's done his whole career, he gets benched for John Beck. Who doesn't know the playbook and hasn't played in YEARS.

The Cards I get. Kolb has talent and abilty and was unknown.

The Colts had no choice. They built a team around him. If he isn't there, the team isn't there.

Archived