Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Players With Trade Value

method man

You only trade tops guys when you are ready to really blow up the whole team and start over, with the idea that you will stink for a few years while you draft and bring in younger players.

I realize the Skins want to rebuild, but I don't think trading Gaffney, Orakpo, or anyone else for that matter is a good idea, unless it's a 2nd tier player like Jarmon was, or Haynesworth.

If the Skins get rid of their best players, without current replacements, fans will miss getting 5 wins per year :ols:

Jabar Gaffney - I really am hoping he can break 1,000 yards this season so we can market him as a "1,000 yard receiver," which means "starting receiver." He is signed for one more year to a reasonable $3M. Gaffney would be valuable to the Rams, because Gaffney provides another starting receiver opposite Lloyd and the Rams would not be forced to take Blackmon.

DeAngelo Hall - He was resigned to a big deal a couple seasons ago and he has looked average at best this season. I think it is pretty apparent that Josh Wilson is a better cover corner at this point. Furthermore, he has said and done some things that indicate instability to other teams.

Gaffney to the Rams makes perfect sense to me. I think he has excellent trade value with them. If it means we retain a mid round pick by trading him, I'm all for it. And I'd add that I'm a fan of his & think his trade to us has been great..but we have bigger needs. Bottom line is, we should have a 1000 yard TE next year, we have a viable threat from RB in the passing game now, plus we have Moss & Hank who should be pencilled in as starters. Adding a third WR to that group shouldn't be too difficult. Plus, Gaffney is Rex's go-to guy, which helps his production, imo. I'm hopeful Rex ain't throwing the ball next year. So, I think Gaffney is expendable in such a trade.

If the Rams are also thin at CB, I'd even float the idea of shipping out Hall if it helped the trade & saved us a future high draft pick. I'm not sure that is really viable though.

How come whenever a player starts doing well we instantly want to trade him for a 4th round pick in 2014? I have no idea why people slam Orakpo so much wishing he was traded, we draft a stud pass rusher who is about to 3 peat pro bowl appearances, fans will be calling for Kerrigans head after the rookie hype is done because its never enough sacks.

Why trade for a player, who has a 1,000 yard receiving season first year here, and we think about trading him for garbage? Landry flashes how elite he can be for us and he gets injured and we want to trade him? Or Trent playing well but he smoked weed so we should deal him for a 2nd round pick in his 2nd year here.

I don't really advocate any of our star players moving to be honest, we should let them actually pan out for us before we cast them off for compensatory picks.

Boo-ya! In my opinion we have zero trade-bait, and the only place you will read silly **** like moving Orakpo and Gaffney is on this message board. Sometimes I get worried that Orakpo might see these ES boards and feel unappreciated-- I hope that's not the case because I feel like he LOVES football and will take London's place as the defensive leader in a few years.

To use a digging analogy, if you have a hole in your yard, you don't fill it in by digging a second hole in your yard and using that dirt for the first hole.

You may have filled in the first hole, but now you have another hole. You've accomplished nothing.

The same with team building. You don't strengthen one position on your team (be it a player position or a draft position) by significantly weakening another position. You aren't accomplishing anything but trading one issue for another.

Trading Orakpo might net the team something positive, but it will also weaken that area he plays and that will suddenly be a problem.

We don't want to start chasing our tails like that (to use a cat analogy :) ).

I fully endorse these analogies.

Get off the website Vinny!! Geez, this is horrible. Last year it was, lets trade half our players to get draft picks. The Skins traded two players and got two better players in Gaffney and Hightower. The key in continuity, which the Skins have not had any of prior to Shannahan. Why trade away what good you have going for you when your trying to build Continuity and leadership in the locker room. This post is idiotic because the Skins did well in the draft and kept some key players (although the 4 year injury bug were have had doesnt seem to go away). These players are vital to building a strong winning team year in and year out. If I see another, we need to trade everyone we have post, Im going to scream. I can definetly tell some of you have never played football ever. This is rediculous to think they would ever trade those players. FA and the Draft resulted in alot of really good, young players. This is the direction the team should continue on.

I laugh at people thinking Gaffney has trade value. He has played admirably for us and is around 80 yards away from a 1000 yard season. However, he is also 31. You find me a team that is willing to trade more than a 5th rounder for an average #2 31 year old WR. Just be realistic here.

Landry has some trade value, but likely no more than a 3rd. If we were to be able to trade him, then that is the route we should go, may as well cut losses but try to get something for him.

If the right offer came for Hall, trade him too. However, as many are saying a similar argument, we really don't have anyone who can step in otherwise. I am liking Wilson more, but 2-3 good games does not negate an overall terrible season by him.

Otherwise, there is no one else worth trading. You'd get maybe a 5th or 6th rounder for Cooley. Well, find me any TE that can be drafted outside of the 1st who will give us Cooley like production (and knows our blocking schemes as well). He will likely restructure his contract to stay here as the 2nd TE, and with Davis finally realizing his potential, I think we finally have what they envisioned back in 2008 (though with Davis as #1 instead of Cooley now).

I think people just need to get off this trade for Luck idea and lets do something similar to what we did last draft, draft players who may contribute in their first season and who are turning into solid depth or more (Hankerson, Paul, Gomes, Jenkins, Thompson, White, Royster). How about lets also draft some positions of bigger need (o-line, new MLB to replace Fletcher eventually, CB).

Only redskins fans try to use current pieces that have performed in our organization and want them to trade them for crap. We need as many good football players to win multiple championships. You can't do that with just a franchise QB. Has Rivers ever won 1, Matt Ryan, Dan Marino?

I laugh at people thinking Gaffney has trade value.

Why? Maybe in an outright trade, but why would he not have value in a trade up with a team like the Rams? When the Jets traded up for Sanchez, they balanced the trade out with three players. The Rams leading WR has less than 600 yards to date this season.

. Regarding Gaffney, we are flush with depth at the WR spot so allowing him to leave would actually give Hankerson, Paul and others more PT. Stallworth, by the way, is looking like someone we should bring back next year as depth.

So let me get this straight. Trade Gaffney but keep Stallworth...? I think I understand what you are trying to say. Gaffney may actually seem valuable to someone out there. But is he worth anything more than a 5th or 6th round pick? Even if he gets to your 1000 yard mark? The answer is obviously no. Think about other top talent at the WR position and what their value.

Orakpo does indeed have value especially if he makes the Pro Bowl again this year but I don't understand trading him. The Redskins are finally starting to develop their young talent. Don't you want to keep that going? Besides the Redskins aren't draft pick starved as they have been in years past. They don't need to trade players to get more picks. They have just about all of them.

Why? Maybe in an outright trade' date=' but why would he not have value in a trade up with a team like the Rams? When the Jets traded up for Sanchez, they balanced the trade out with three players. The Rams leading WR has less than 600 yards to date this season.[/quote']

We got him for a guy who was cut not long after the trade and is now driving a UPS truck.

what's anyone else going to give us?

~Bang

Trade 101, you trade players under 2 circumstances: 1. You have an aging veteran holding a young stud back 2. You have an abundance of talent at the position and want to strengthen other areas. Washington is void of talent, across the board. They don't fit either circumstance. We must be patient and build in accordance with the long-term plan which seems to be targeting rookies that achieve higher than their draft slot indicates and FA that have produced, but have not been over-hyped.

That is on point, but if you are interested in another teams player or draft slot, you have to do what is necessary to get into that slot, such as trade draft picks and or talented players.

We got him for a guy who was cut not long after the trade and is now driving a UPS truck.

what's anyone else going to give us?

~Bang

I don't think anyone will come banging our door down for him. I just think he would be a valuable makeweight in a trade with a team like the Rams.

Why? Maybe in an outright trade' date=' but why would he not have value in a trade up with a team like the Rams? When the Jets traded up for Sanchez, they balanced the trade out with three players. The Rams leading WR has less than 600 yards to date this season.[/quote']

He may be viable bait as a package, or for a team where he has coaches and a system familiar with us...oh wait, they're all here already. Also, just because he almost has 1000 and the Rams leader has 600 doesn't necessarily lead to a conclusive statement. The Rams relied on Mike Sims-Walker and Donnie Avery at first before bringing in Lloyd. Also, lets at least give some credit to the notion that Kyle Shanahan may be a pretty solid o-coordinator, to take someone like Gaffney to become an almost 1000 yard WR. Gaffney bounced around before he came here. Any team could have taken him before the Texans. He's one of those number 2 WR types that will excel (but not dominate) in a certain system, but if they leave that system they end up bouncing around again (Brandon Stokely and Reche Caldwell come to mind).

All these allusions of using Gaffney, Cooley, Landry and what not as part of a trade package in lieu of multiple first round picks are ridiculous. Bottomline, it will take at least two 1sts, two 2ds and a 3rd to move up to #1 from #7 (And maybe a bit more). Now there are only two players on the Skins that would get us a current 1st round value, Kerrigan and Orakpo (Williams would have prior to his drug problems coming to light). A current 1st round value would eliminate the need for a current 2d and future 1st and 2d. So if you want Luck (I do) that is the price. Do you want to go picks, or players and picks, or do you want to pass on Luck?

This is the last year of Gaffney's contract and we'd be fools to resign a 32-year old WR. There are few receivers who are effective beyond that age. Thus, at this point, let's strategically dump him for value to a team desparate for WRs.

Heck, to be honest, it may be a negative to have him on the team next year, because it will limit Paul's, Austin's and other snaps, which will inhibit the growth of those who will actually contribute to the team's success down the road.

This is the last year of Gaffney's contract and we'd be fools to resign a 32-year old WR. There are few receivers who are effective beyond that age. Thus, at this point, let's strategically dump him for value to a team desparate for WRs.

Heck, to be honest, it may be a negative to have him on the team next year, because it will limit Paul's, Austin's and other snaps, which will inhibit the growth of those who will actually contribute to the team's success down the road.

I disagree completely. I don't know if you've been paying attention, but Gaffney was our BEST receiver this year. Re-sign him. It's not like he'll cost a fortune.

I don't understand why we should trade our best receiver for a 5th or 6th rounder.

I also disagree with you about the age thing. Good WRs can be productive well into their 30s. It's about 35 where you see sharp drop offs in their performance.

I consider all of the Redskins receivers expendable at this point. But Gaffney wouldn't be the first one I'd part ways with.

Archived