Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rams with the 1st pick in 2012 draft

Mania

If the season ended now, the Rams would have the 1st overall selection in April's draft. The thing is, they are reportedly willing to trade the pick for draft choices. The first overall selection is very expensive. If Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan wanted to trade up, what do they give up to get a deal done? I can see them sending their 1st and 2nd round selections in 2012, along with a 1st and 2nd in 2013, and maybe a 3rd rounder in 2014 in exchange for the 1st overall pick in this coming draft. But I can also see the Redskins getting some draft choices in the mid to late rounds in this year's draft in the deal.

I like both Luck and RG3. It wouldn't matter to me if they chose either QB with the 1st overall pick.

Gonna be a very expensive pick, prolly one of the most expensive we've ever seen. I just really doubt we'll be making that trade.

As bad as I'd like to have a franchise QB, I just don't know if it would really be all that smart to pay that kinda price, but who knows. I just hope Shanny finds a guy other than RG3 or Luck that he really really likes because it's looking like we won't have a real shot at either one..unfortunately.

Bat, it would obviously be ideal if there was an unheralded QB in this draft that Shanahan had his eye on. Can you imagine if we actually got a top-10 talent at another position with our pick and then added a franchise QB later in the draft (as well as filled other holes with the rest of our draft)?

Realistically though, I do not believe even losing 3 years of first round picks is devastating IF Luck or Griffin is your stud QB for 15 years. I understand anyone can bust, but the upside might be worth it. Grabbing someone who can lead your offense for a decade or longer buys you so much time and makes the first couple years relatively immaterial if you are short a few picks.

Bat, it would obviously be ideal if there was an unheralded QB in this draft that Shanahan had his eye on. Can you imagine if we actually got a top-10 talent at another position with our pick and then added a franchise QB later in the draft (as well as filled other holes with the rest of our draft)?

Realistically though, I do not believe even losing 3 years of first round picks is devastating IF Luck or Griffin is your stud QB for 15 years. I understand anyone can bust, but the upside might be worth it. Grabbing someone who can lead your offense for a decade or longer buys you so much time and makes the first couple years relatively immaterial if you are short a few picks.

We've given up so much over the last decade to find a QB (via FA, veteran trade, drafting second-tier QB prospects) to no avail, so might as well do it right this time and land a blue-chip prospect. Then, we won't need to worry about drafting a QB for 12-15 years.

We've given up so much over the last decade to find a QB (via FA, veteran trade, drafting second-tier QB prospects) to no avail, so might as well do it right this time and land a blue-chip prospect. Then, we won't need to worry about drafting a QB for 12-15 years.

i agree completely we have done our fair share of trading picks and MS does a wonderful job grabbing guys in the later rounds so Im not worried. As well if the Rams do have the first overall pick the asking price goes down considerably compared to the Colts. They just can't have both and taking a cap hit on Bradford of that magnitude would be illogical. just my two cents

I mean.. I don't like giving up that much, but if we do then we do. I'll support whatever move he makes.

I am beyond READY to have a franchise QB, I guess I'm just jaded by the last decade+ of bad football decisions. I definitely understand the point you're trying to make..I jusy hate the sound of giving up that many first round picks. Even if we don't use those picks, they are much more valuable thatn they used to be. I do think Shanny knows he has to make something happen, going into year 3..it's time to make his mark and get this thing in gear. I love the drama leading up to the draft because you just never know what the heck is gonna happen.!

i agree completely we have done our fair share of trading picks and MS does a wonderful job grabbing guys in the later rounds so Im not worried. As well if the Rams do have the first overall pick the asking price goes down considerably compared to the Colts. They just can't have both and taking a cap hit on Bradford of that magnitude would be illogical. just my two cents

One thing people continuously overlook is the draft we had this past year. It's almost unheard of to have 12 picks, all currently with the team, and to have 7 or 8 out of the 12 become significant contributors without even counting how good Jenkins looked before his injury. We made a LOT of strides this offseason with getting younger, moreso than a normal offseason with 6 or 7 picks would have netted. We have wiggle room to move up and lose some picks in the next year or two if it means we can finally have our solution under center.

---------- Post added December-26th-2011 at 10:24 PM ----------

I guess I'm just jaded by the last decade+ of bad football decisions. I definitely understand the point you're trying to make..I jusy hate the sound of giving up that many first round picks. Even if we don't use those picks, they are much more valuable thatn they used to be. I do think Shanny knows he has to make something happen, going into year 3..it's time to make his mark and get this thing in gear. I love the drama leading up to the draft because you just never know what the heck is gonna happen.!

Here's how I look at it.

Currently, we are set (at least for the near future) at LT, RB, Pass Rusher, and DL. You can add S to that mix if Landry comes back. The positions most teams tend to spend high picks on are LT, pass rushers, RB, and of course QB since those are the positions with the quickest impact and the greatest potential to change a team's fortunes quickly.

Guess what? We won't be using any of our future first rounders on ANY of those positions besides QB. If we picked a WR, CB, or MLB with the next couple first round picks, none of them combined would be able to have the same impact as a franchise QB would. That's why I'm not scared of moving a few high future picks -- the positions of need on this team are ones that can easily be filled with middle and later round picks. Given our track record in the later rounds under Shanahan so far, I'm more than willing to take that risk.

I dont want to trade up but with the rumor of Gruden/Aj smith going to the rams to team up. Article on pft i cant post it because im on my phone. I think gruden would keep bradford an look to get more picks to build his new team up with playmakers an depth. So if RG3 does come out we cld possibly go for him.

If the rams have the first overall pick the skins will have luck on our team. I guarantee It

I think that is a strong possibility. I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but our previous trade failing with the Rams, in an attempt to unload Fat Al and get the top pick to land Bradford, may actually provide extra incentive for Shanahan and Allen to give up what it takes to get the deal done this time and finally land that franchise QB.

If Griffin comes out and Minny is 2 then it's icing on the cake as we'd only need to trade to 2 in order to get a franchise QB. I think Miami is our only real competition in a trade up given other teams possibly in the hunt have a bunch of holes elsewhere and will likely be resigned to building up around their current QB who despite struggling do still have potential (namely Jax and Cle).

I dont want to trade up but with the rumor of Gruden/Aj smith going to the rams to team up. Article on pft i cant post it because im on my phone. I think gruden would keep bradford an look to get more picks to build his new team up with playmakers an depth. So if RG3 does come out we cld possibly go for him.

I hope you're right. But for some reason, I'd rather have Griffin III than Luck.

I hope you're right. But for some reason, I'd rather have Griffin III than Luck.

I'd be fine with either, for once though I'd like go have a guy that makes other teams uneasy, I wasn't sold on Cam last year but was obviously wrong, think I got caught up in all the negative spin on his "ability", the Panthers weren't fooled though, hopefully the skins can strike gold....

One thing people continuously overlook is the draft we had this past year. It's almost unheard of to have 12 picks, all currently with the team, and to have 7 or 8 out of the 12 become significant contributors without even counting how good Jenkins looked before his injury. We made a LOT of strides this offseason with getting younger, moreso than a normal offseason with 6 or 7 picks would have netted. We have wiggle room to move up and lose some picks in the next year or two if it means we can finally have our solution under center.

---------- Post added December-26th-2011 at 10:24 PM ----------

I see what you're saying but I disagree with being set at safety.. even if LL comes back, he's falling apart due to his desire to look like the incredible hulk. He's just busted IMO. I know we have to start at QB and I definitely want a REAL one, I just don't want him to end up like Bradford in St. Louis because we thought we were set around him. I trust this coaching staff tho..regardless of bad decisions, they have made a lot more good decisions. I'm excited either way

Here's how I look at it.

Currently, we are set (at least for the near future) at LT, RB, Pass Rusher, and DL. You can add S to that mix if Landry comes back. The positions most teams tend to spend high picks on are LT, pass rushers, RB, and of course QB since those are the positions with the quickest impact and the greatest potential to change a team's fortunes quickly.

Guess what? We won't be using any of our future first rounders on ANY of those positions besides QB. If we picked a WR, CB, or MLB with the next couple first round picks, none of them combined would be able to have the same impact as a franchise QB would. That's why I'm not scared of moving a few high future picks -- the positions of need on this team are ones that can easily be filled with middle and later round picks. Given our track record in the later rounds under Shanahan so far, I'm more than willing to take that risk.

If the season ended now, the Rams would have the 1st overall selection in April's draft. The thing is, they are reportedly willing to trade the pick for draft choices. The first overall selection is very expensive. If Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan wanted to trade up, what do they give up to get a deal done? I can see them sending their 1st and 2nd round selections in 2012, along with a 1st and 2nd in 2013, and maybe a 3rd rounder in 2014 in exchange for the 1st overall pick in this coming draft. But I can also see the Redskins getting some draft choices in the mid to late rounds in this year's draft in the deal.

I like both Luck and RG3. It wouldn't matter to me if they chose either QB with the 1st overall pick.

Is there any way to project who gets the top pick if both lose on Sunday now?

I think we're in MUCH better shape all around than the Rams were when the drafted Bradford/where they are now. MUCH better. I think we have 2 or 3 more wins with a better QB, if not more.

I know we would. If it weren't for a few terrible kicks this year we would have 2-3 more wins. I dont think we are there yet but we are pretty close. We are not 10-12 players away.....IMO we are 3-4 players away but the biggest one is by far QB.

---------- Post added December-28th-2011 at 07:21 AM ----------

I almost would rather throw in 2013's 2nd rounder. I really dont want to lose this years 2nd....but if it mean getting Luck then i would say we dont have a choice.

That wouldn't be a good trade to me. If the Rams are willing to just give up on their "quarterback of the future" immediately, that makes me think there's something wrong with him.

Or wrong with them.

For the umpteenth time, aside from any football considerations, Bradford's contract and it's cap implications make it a practical impossibility for the Rams to trade him.

---------- Post added December-28th-2011 at 09:07 AM ----------

I almost would rather throw in 2013's 2nd rounder. I really dont want to lose this years 2nd....but if it mean getting Luck then i would say we dont have a choice.

I do think we will be trading up - or trying to - but to do so we are going to have to include this years 2nd round pick in any deal. The team we are dealing with are going to want that extra high pick this year and in any case I think we would need to include next years first round pick as well as this years second and the swap of our first with theirs.

Bradford's contract and it's cap implications make it a practical impossibility for the Rams to trade him. .

Yeah, Jay Glazer said so last Sunday, he talked to his source with the Rams, and they are keeping Bradford but trading the pick if they land the #1. That seemed very specific. It makes total sense to me. If they are sold on Bradford as a franchise QB. They have already invested 2 years in him. He needs playmakers and a better O line. You use those picks that they get for Luck to do just that and they get the best of both worlds.

I do think we will be trading up - or trying to - but to do so we are going to have to include this years 2nd round pick in any deal. The team we are dealing with are going to want that extra high pick this year and in any case I think we would need to include next years first round pick as well as this years second and the swap of our first with theirs.

Agree no doubt we'd have to add our 2nd rounder this year, maybe a third too. Gil Brandt, on NFL radio, who seems sold on Luck, talked about the price being perhaps 3 first rounders and 3 2nd rounders. I don't see how we'd beat the Browns though if they want the pick. If I were the Rams I'd be intrigued by getting two #1 picks now, and one #1 next year, versus three #1's spread out over three years.

I don't see how we'd beat the Browns though if they want the pick. If I were the Rams I'd be intrigued by getting two #1 picks now, and one #1 next year, versus three #1's spread out over three years.

On point, IF Cleveland decides to move up. The Rams would also still be able to pickup that impact OT or WR with Cleveland's #4 pick.

We really need RGiii to declare to spread those possible move-up teams across 2 QB's and not just Luck.

I think we take Bradford & Peyton this year, whatever it takes, and then draft Barkley and RG III (if he doesn't come out this year) and use the old guys to bring the two younguns along as our stater and b/u and just carry all four for a few years. And then we trade the old guys for Jet Li & Wolverine.

I think Wolverine would look great at MLB even if he is a little short, I'm just not sure what Jet Li provides that we don't already have in Brandon Banks.

Archived