Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Official ES Redskins vs Giants WR Discussion Thread--Moss Still Boss or Now a Loss?"

Jumbo

Not enough volunteers to do these threads this week :(

I'm writing these OPs before the game starts so my thoughts are: where will Moss figure for us next year? Who else on are squad seems more success than disappointment? Outside of Gaffney, I only see Stallworth (remember all the "you're kidding" posts on him earlier in the year?--what an indictment that's he's shining now). Look what we've come to on our WR corps--just where are we?

The team should move Moss to full-time, starting punt returner and begin to phase him out at receiver. He would be far more effective than Banks. He's still a good wide receiver but the team should start mixing in more talent. With a healthy Hankerson and an addition or two in the off-season, the passing attack could prove very potent. Looking forward to seeing that!

The team should move Moss to full-time, starting punt returner and begin to phase him out at receiver. He would be far more effective than Banks. He's still a good wide receiver but the team should start mixing in more talent. With a healthy Hankerson and an addition or two in the off-season, the passing attack could prove very potent. Looking forward to seeing that!

I don't think they should move him to punt returning, full-time. But it is about time they put him in the slot. At this point in his career, that's where he needs to be. And hopefully Hankerson will stay healthy and continue to develop. He at least has potential to one day be a true #1 WR.

You're kidding, right?

I don't mean cut him or anything. I'm just saying that he could be useful as a special teams weapon and as a threat in the receiving corp. I like Moss; I'd just like to see the team focus on working in the new talent (when it's there). A new, free-agent signing in the off-season is going to automatically limit the necessity of targeting Moss so often. But that won't diminish his value to the offense, or to the team. It'll simply make it more difficult for defensive coordinators to gameplan for the Skins offense, and I like that. He'll still be a weapon.

Santana's big plus for us is he needs the best DB to cover him, if he gets free he gets the ball, if not then someone else does, not too many teams have two #1 DB's. We need to keep him for as long as we can, As for using Santana to replace Banks i am not so sure, special teams requires good blockers and someone who can make good cuts, ie, Helu. There is a reason we still use Santana as a WR, he is good at catching he can make good YAC, he is tough and resiliant. Santana has always been loyal to the Washington Redskins I would like to think the Skins would show him some Loyalty next year, I would also like to see him be offered a job as a WR coach he has a lot of experience to pass on to the newbies as they come along

Moss's value goes beyond the stat book. Even though he isn't the burner he used to be, it seems apparent that opposing defense still feel the need to gameplan around Moss when it comes to the passing game. Whether he is the one catching balls or not, the defense is definitely accounting for where he is at all times. This means he is still viewed as a legit threat to get the ball on every play.

I want to get an opportunity to see a healthy Moss and Hankerson on the field at the same time.

I think this offence requires a true top-end wide receiver before we really find out what it can be. Using the example of Andre Johnson in Houston. You have a player that has the ability to still get catches despite spending 60 minutes being covered by two defenders. If you have talent outside of the number one guy - i'll use Gaffney as our example - then he can really have success in single coverage, due to the fact the #1 guy is drawing the attention, because he can run such good routes. Add another good receiver into the mix, and you're really going against the dearth of a defence. Defence becomes honest, #1 guy has a monster day.

If we can find that #1 guy I really think Moss and Gaffney can wreak havok with the #2 cb and nickelback. It all hinges on finding "that" guy. Fingers crossed that guy is Hankerson.

Moss would be a great #1, #2 or #3 WR next year. If you put talent around him and get him the ball 5-8 times a game he's gonna be a threat. I'd love to see a stud FA signed to go with Moss, Fred Davis (assuming he's not suspended or traded), Hankerson, Armstrong, Gaffney and Stallworth.

I also wouldn't be opposed to using one of our WR's as a 3rd down RB out of the backfield in certain situations. I'd like to see a LB try and stay with Moss or Armstrong on a 3rd and 5 situation. Minnesota is getting creative with Percy Harvin and he is really coming into his own.

I like Hankerson as much as anyone, but to peg him in as a #1, 2, or 3 next year is a stretch IMO. Yes the kid played well for the 1 1/2 games he played, but so has Polumbus (sp?) at RT...is everyone ready to peg him as our starting RT next year? I hope not, but thats what I am saying. Realistically, I think you open camp next year with Hankerson slotting as the 4th WR if you bring in a true #1 and HOPE that he continues his improvement and can get up the depth chart. But going into next year and saying Hankerson will be our #1 or #2 ABOVE Gaffney and Moss is absurd, especially when you take into account that Hankerson could not get on the field for the beginning of the year, then only played a couple games before he sadly got hurt. Did he show promise? Absolutely, but you cant move him past Moss and Gaffney on the depth chart based on a couple games. IMO, this is a much more realistic version of what you will see for our WR depth chart next year...

#1 - FA (Jackson or Bowe hopefully)

#2 - Moss/Gaffney (depending on whose in the slot)

#3 - Moss/Gaffney (Same as above)

#4 - Hankerson (hopefully moves up through the season)

#5 - Rookie WR/Paul/Armstrong/Austin ( I could see Shanny drafting a WR late and letting him compete with Paul/AA/Austin)

#1 - FA (Jackson or Bowe hopefully)

#2 - Moss/Gaffney (depending on whose in the slot)

#3 - Moss/Gaffney (Same as above)

#4 - Hankerson (hopefully moves up through the season)

#5 - Rookie WR/Paul/Armstrong/Austin ( I could see Shanny drafting a WR late and letting him compete with Paul/AA/Austin)

D-Jax is NOT a #1 reciever. I'd take Moss over D-Jax any day. D-Jax doesn't play as hard as Moss, Moss is a reliable reciever who can catch 90+ balls a year, and doesn't come with the baggage. NO D-JAX PLEASE.

D-Jax is NOT a #1 reciever. I'd take Moss over D-Jax any day. D-Jax doesn't play as hard as Moss, Moss is a reliable reciever who can catch 90+ balls a year, and doesn't come with the baggage. NO D-JAX PLEASE.

He's talking about Vincent Jackson.

Gaffney & Moss will be excellent vet presence next year. Hank & Paul will have a full offseason to develop and I'd expect them to be regulars next year. Armstrong is having a forgettable season and could very well be gone next year. I dont expect Donte back, and Austin is on the fence as well. It will be either Austin or Armstrong but I only see one of them making the team next year.

For next season I'd like to see a WR depth chart something like this:

1) Hank

2) Gaffney

3) Moss

4) Paul

5) Armstrong or Austin

Moss needs to be about #3 on this team at WR if were talking championships. Reggie Wayne may leave Indy, but I know one things for sure: Gaffney is NOT better then Moss, neither will he be next season. Hankerson was doing the damn thing with Moss out, but until he proves he's a #1 to me, he's no more then a #2.

Moss needs to be about #3 on this team at WR if were talking championships. Reggie Wayne may leave Indy, but I know one things for sure: Gaffney is NOT better then Moss, neither will he be next season. Hankerson was doing the damn thing with Moss out, but until he proves he's a #1 to me, he's no more then a #2.

I love me some Moss, but Gaffney is on track (barely) for a 1000 yard season. That's not too shabby.

Moss will be perfect full-time in the slot next year, with Hankerson out wide across from a probable FA acquisition, if I had to guess.

The Gaffney trade, as I keep saying, was masterful.

It was a great trade, but shouldn't he appear in your top for 3 next year?

Of course if he is supplanted by someone better that's fine by me.

I love me some Moss, but Gaffney is on track (barely) for a 1000 yard season. That's not too shabby.

Ya, not too shabby, but Moss missed 4 games as well. Both of them drop the ball way too much to be considered a number one, and while Moss is 32, Gaffney is 31. Even if you keep both of them, which I agree we should do, (with Santana coming off a 93 catch season last year), both are arguably on the downside of their respective careers.

Archived