Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I need to vent (London Fletcher)

adam@section118

Today's top story...people make mistakes. It happens, get over it.

Yes, come to a venting thread to say that. Makes perfect sense.

Anyway, the call was awful. I want a higher draft pick, but it still infuriated me. The worst part is that they called it against the classiest guy in the league, and that just makes him look like crap. The way that the refs were waving them off while they were discussing how nice Brady's ass looks in his uniform was even worse. You don't do that to Fletcher.

The Carter call was nowhere near as bad. It was low, it was late, and it's a penalty.

Well, the call on Carter was equally bad. I tend to think these things shake out. But both calls were wrong, and the league is pussifying the sport.

This call is a result of the injury to Tommy Boy's knee. When he went down for the season, the league started a rule that said QB's could not be hit below the waist. Ever. Automatic 15-yard penalty.

Today's top story...people make mistakes. It happens, get over it.

I sincerely apologize for creating a thread where I indicated I wanted to vent about a terrible call (and terrible officiating).

There were no other threads about anything else, so in hindsight you are right, I should have posted yet another thread about how crazy our players are or how we should cut Hall at the end of the season.

In the future I will run all threads by you to make sure my thread is a suitable topic...............

Its a venting threads, it happens, get over it.

I said a while back that I want the NFL to give the coaches two additional flags each game that are designed to specifically challenge attrocious calls. Refs are human. Why not get it right. If a camera has a better view than the ref and the call was wrong why not have the opportunity to correct it. One thing I always hate is when the refs huddle and they show the replay which clearly show that it was a bad call... none of the refs seem to ever look at the evidence, but go with their first call regardless. More flags need to be picked up.... and more actually need to be thrown.

It's terrible how we never see a hold against the guy Orakpo is lined up against. It's gotten so bad that we don't even complain about it anymore... and these aren't ticky tacky holds like the one called against Hurt, but out and out wrestling moves and choke-outs.

I said a while back that I want the NFL to give the coaches two additional flags each game that are designed to specifically challenge attrocious calls. Refs are human. Why not get it right. If a camera has a better view than the ref and the call was wrong why not have the opportunity to correct it. One thing I always hate is when the refs huddle and they show the replay which clearly show that it was a bad call... none of the refs seem to ever look at the evidence, but go with their first call regardless. More flags need to be picked up.... and more actually need to be thrown.

It's terrible how we never see a hold against the guy Orakpo is lined up against. It's gotten so bad that we don't even complain about it anymore... and these aren't ticky tacky holds like the one called against Hurt, but out and out wrestling moves and choke-outs.

I agree with adding a flag maybe to check PI of PF calls but Shanny would be out of flags after the 1st quarter with the holding calls.

My fear with allowing calls to be challenged is the game being slowed down too much.

IMO, I would like to see one flag per half, and you can only challege a call that was made, not one that was not. Or something along those lines.

I also hate when the refs refuse to use the video to overturn a terrible call. Who knows, maybe they cannot (I have never been through a NFL ref seminar, though it seems neither have many of them) but if we have the capability do so, why not use it?

---------- Post added December-13th-2011 at 07:25 AM ----------

Well, that's why I would make it a limited number... they'd have to be used judiciously. It is ridiculous how often we get reffed (and I'm sure most other teams say the same), why not use all the tools at hand to make sure you get it right.

I do not think we (the Redskins) get hosed more then other teams, but yes, I do think there should be a system to help out with bad calls.

No system will ever be perfect, but IMO calls like that against Fletcher are inexcusable, esp. after the refs huddle up. I mean what do they talk about, which Bang cartoon to watch at halftime? Which pizza they want to order from papa johns?

I sincerely apologize for creating a thread where I indicated I wanted to vent about a terrible call (and terrible officiating).

There were no other threads about anything else, so in hindsight you are right, I should have posted yet another thread about how crazy our players are or how we should cut Hall at the end of the season.

In the future I will run all threads by you to make sure my thread is a suitable topic...............

Its a venting threads, it happens, get over it.

We have had bad calls go our way too. I don't think I have ever seen a thread about a ref ****ing up in our favor. I agree it was a bad call and it needs to be kept in perspective. Some calls go our way and some don't. Getting stressed over something like this is pretty pointless. I am as much a fan as anybody but I also know that refs have a split second to make a call and we have the advantage of seeing the replay over and over. The NFL is doing what it can to put refs in a position to be able to make good calls and correct bad ones. **** is still going to happen either way. I don't feel bad at all for my original post in this thread.

Try to stay happy, you will live longer.

We have had bad calls go our way too. I don't think I have ever seen a thread about a ref ****ing up in our favor. I agree it was a bad call and it needs to be kept in perspective. Some calls go our way and some don't. Getting stressed over something like this is pretty pointless. I am as much a fan as anybody but I also know that refs have a split second to make a call and we have the advantage of seeing the replay over and over. The NFL is doing what it can to put refs in a position to be able to make good calls and correct bad ones. **** is still going to happen either way. I don't feel bad at all for my original post in this thread.

Try to stay happy, you will live longer.

I have never started threads (I do not start many here) about us getting a bad call, but I comment plenty when I think we catch a break. Hell, I have no problem admitting that call on Carter was BS. I know why they called it (esp after all the knee injuries the last few yaers on QB's) but I can admit when we get a break.

The point, however, is this was a terrible call where the refs huddled up, and STILL blew the call.

I am not getting stressed, I am venting about a terrible call. What is wrong with venting about something that is jacked up?

Congrats on not feeling bad for your original. I do not feel bad for my response, even after reviewing my post ;) Perhaps the refs can start reviewing some of their terrible calls, even if it mean our team loses a call or two

I am plenty happy, thank you

The greatest proof that the officiating system is screwed up is this years "every scoring play is reviewable" rule. If it looks like a player gets in but it wasn't called a touchdown a coach has to use a challenge. If it is called a touchdown but it looks like they didn't get in it is reviewable by the rule and a coach doesn't have to use a challenge. How stupid is that?

Could Shanny have challenged the "personal foul" against Fletcher?

Penaltys are not reviewable

---------- Post added December-13th-2011 at 08:53 AM ----------

The greatest proof that the officiating system is screwed up is this years "every scoring play is reviewable" rule. If it looks like a player gets in but it wasn't called a touchdown a coach has to use a challenge. If it is called a touchdown but it looks like they didn't get in it is reviewable by the rule and a coach doesn't have to use a challenge. How stupid is that?

Stop with that whole "logic" thing!

The hit on Brady by Fletcher was a very bad call because there was no helmet to helmet contact and he was in the middle of the action when Brady decided to go down. I thought Fletcher was going to turn into the exorcist and spin his head around when they called that. He was livid and had never seen him get so mad in a game.But one thing I do agree is that they do need to have dedicated NFL referees that are employed by the NFL and not some corporate exec that gets paid off by guys like Jerry Jones and Robert Kraft. Their teams are the biggest beneficiaries of the calls. I know, people will say their isn't a conspiracy going on and that it would take too many people to cover it up etc.. But watch the games and see when and where they call penalties throughout the games. They call penalties to help the elite teams when they need to keep the drive alive and then they even out the calls when it doesn't matter just so it appears to even themselves out in the game. But one day here soon it will come out just like it did with SpyGate or with the NBA referees did a few years back.

I thought Fletcher was going to get an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty when he got in the ref's face. He was lucky in that regard.

I'm willing to bet his reputation as a class act got him some leeway there.

Here's what kills me about it:

• Fletch knew TB was starting the slide too late
  • He probably also knew that he had to avoid helmet-to-helmet and it would be tough given the angle
  • He still managed to make the hit, which was a great play and required a lot of precision on his part
  • Then he gets flagged - and I'm pretty sure the ref wanted to call him for hitting a sliding QB, but then one of the other refs said he wasn't sliding, so he changed the call to helmet-to-helmet; I don't know if that's true but that's what it seemed like to me - just a way to save face and not have to admit he was wrong

Then he gets flagged - and I'm pretty sure the ref wanted to call hinm for hitting a sliding QB, but then one of the other refs said he wasn't sliding, so he changed the call to helmet-to-helmet; I don't know if that's true but that's what it seemed like to me - just a way to save face and not have to admit he was wrong

I don't think it's that complicated. I think they just stupidly got the call wrong. They can confer and pick up their flags after they've thrown them if they need to.

What pissed me off, and it seems like I am the only one that I know that noticed this. Is the next play Brady took off running again. Gomes was coming up to hit him, Brady leaned back like he was going to slide, Gomes let up, and Brady ran to the left and Gomes had to reach out and grab Brady by the shoestrings.

If a QB gives any indication that they are going to slide, that is where they shoudl be down. If not, Qbs could do this all day long.

Also, I am pretty positive that the Fletcher penalty was for a forearm to the head, which did not happen, not for hitting a sliding QB.

Archived