Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I need to vent (London Fletcher)

adam@section118

Mods, I hope you do not mind me starting a new thread on this, but I am still hot from that BS call on Sunday on Fletch.

Seriously, why does the NFL not go to a two hand touch league. Why do we have four refs on the field if they ALL miss a basic call like a blow to the head. I mean what, are we supposed to lick the opposing players butts clean before we gently place them on the ground while complimenting their gorgeous jerseys.

I have not found many articles about the call, but this article and video about sum up how I feel:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/980130-london-fletcher-was-given-the-worst-penalty-of-the-season-why-its-means-more

An easy solution is to make the refs full-time employees, subject to punishments and fines for bad calls, much like MLB umpires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv1f37dVNZ8

Ridiculous call.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/santana-moss-we-got-to-play-against-the-team-and-the-refs/2011/12/11/gIQAQ9o9nO_story.html

Moss venting: "We got to play against the team and the refs."

Brady even admitted on WEEI this morning that it was a clean hit. I dunno. It seems like the NFL is sacrificing the integrity of the league in order to keep it's star players free from injury.

EDIT: Although, Brady can say what he wants to. He'll never complain about those calls.

Kinda like the NBA?

The Moss play is at least borderline.

I am the last one to cry about officials (I hate hearing people use the refs as an excuse but that call on Fletcher was one of the worst calls I have seen in quite some time.

Of course Brady can say all he wants after the fact, he played up that penalty and got a free 15 yards. Cannot knock him for it, though, as I would hope a Redskins players would try to do the same. Just sad that with all the zebras out there a call can be blown that badly.

Really makes me wish you could challenge one officials call throughout a game

A QB can't get hit if he's sliding feet first period. The reason why the call on London was bogus was because Brady didn't begin his slide until the hit was inevitable.

The announcer said it perfectly during the game:

"Tom Brady gave himself up too late. Once he saw Fletcher about to hit him, he realized it was too late"

Well, the call on Carter was equally bad. I tend to think these things shake out. But both calls were wrong, and the league is pussifying the sport.

It was more understandable though. It was a late, low hit. Think about what happened to Carson Palmer when Kemo Von Olhoffen hit him in the playoffs.

Honestly the fans are half to blame for the change in the NFL. We want more offense and the ratings increase with more offense so they protect the QBs. I honestly liked the NFL a lot better before all these rule changes. However on the Moss call i thought it was a good call. Just because it is 5 yards does not mean you can can extend your arms, if that were so then teams would just send TE's wide and have them over power cornerbacks every time they were on the one or two yard line.

But finally the call on Fletcher was awful. I thought the refs this week in total were awful. Carter call was awful. There were some awful calls in the late games too.

That's the first time I've seen the Moss replay and now I'm pissed. I can't believe CBS didn't show a replay of that. And how is it pass interference if the ball wasn't in the air? From a defensive perspective, it's illegal contact if the ball hasn't been thrown.

As for the Fletcher hit, really bad call. I was prepared for the refs to say he hit him on the slide, which I could at least understand more than the forearm to the head which never happened. I hope all those guys get black marks for that in their game report.

That's the first time I've seen the Moss replay and now I'm pissed. I can't believe CBS didn't show a replay of that. And how is it pass interference if the ball wasn't in the air? From a defensive perspective, it's illegal contact if the ball hasn't been thrown.

As for the Fletcher hit, really bad call. I was prepared for the refs to say he hit him on the slide, which I could at least understand more than the forearm to the head which never happened. I hope all those guys get black marks for that in their game report.

I agree that call was incredibly bad, both were. I can't really blame the fletcher call on the loss of a game, It was 2nd down and without the call it would have been a 3rd and 2, but the Moss call that was ridiculous. I thought we were playing at home??? Aren't the questionable calls/terrible calls supposed to go the other way. This is yet another reason why I hate Brady, and his whiny, prissy self. when it's all said and done though it was a very entertaining game, much more so than I expected.

Kinda like the NBA?

The NBA has integrity in officiating? I would disagree entirely. The ignored claims of official tampering and the open secret stars don't get held to the same set of rules on the court. I like the NBA but the part time officials in the NFL try to be fair IMO and I can't say that for the NBA.

Bottom line. The NFL has gone "Hollywood" and the Quarterbacks are the "Movie Stars" of the league. They are the reason casual fans who don't know the difference between offense and defense watch football games. The public eats up the news on their "stars," their model girlfriends, the tabloid fodder. The game is different now. Personally, I love watching a bruising running back pound the defense into mush. I like watching the lines beat each other up. I like jarring hits on ball carriers. Ironically, all things the Redskins used to do really well. Now, all the NFL wants is "highlight" videos. Yeah, it's a thing of beauty when a QB connects for an 80 yard touchdown bomb, but that's not all football is about. For me a defensive battle is just as entertaining.

An easy solution is to make the refs full-time employees, subject to punishments and fines for bad calls, much like MLB umpires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv1f37dVNZ8

Ridiculous call.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/santana-moss-we-got-to-play-against-the-team-and-the-refs/2011/12/11/gIQAQ9o9nO_story.html

Moss venting: "We got to play against the team and the refs."

It was a terrible call. Brady started his slide a little too late. Should never have been a flag. However, Moss needs to shut the hell up. If his ass could hold onto the ****ing ball, we might have won the damn game. So tired of his butter fingers. He's easily one of the most overrated players we've ever had.

First time I've seen a good replay of the Moss call since CBS didn't show it, and I agree with others that it was a terrible call which cost us a chance to tie the game or possibly go ahead with a 2pt conversion (from an article, Shanny hinted at the possibility). Most other referees don't make that call. Contact was within 5 yards, and I've seen plenty of TDs like that where a WR breaks free of contact for a TD. Plus, Edelmann was the one who put hs arms out and intitated contact first, but because Moss sent him back a bit, he gets flagged. Terrible call of many that game, for both sides. I agree that referees need to be held accountable for doing poor jobs. Good refs, like Carey, should be commended often.

Archived