Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bad Penalty Calls

Champskins

I know there have been threads about this in the past but I hate to bring up old 'Bumps' so I thought I'd start a new one. Penalties are penalties due to the fact that a player/coach/trainer sticking his foot out, have done something illegal in the game of play. When does a standard get set? When can we have ol' Mike Periera (Head Officiating guru) call down to the refs and rebuttal a penalty that was most certainly not the right call? After watching the Bengals/Brown's highlights (See Below) and watching the 'Jerome Simpson flop" I have to wonder if there is even a point to made about these crazy penalty calls.

It is ruining the game of football! There have been some good, clean shots on WR's and QB's that are called 95% of the time... How in the hell is player X or play Y defenseless, cus I'm pretty sure he was holding on to the damn ball!?

When is it O.K. to start fining the Zebra's for bad play calls instead of focusing on the "illegal" hits from our favorite playmakers who then lose their focus for the remainder of games and become demotivated? I understand that some are uncalled for when a player looks to have directly targeted/lead with their head instead of proper technique, but some (the majority) of these calls are outrageous and it needs to be addressed.

THIS ISN'T FLAG FOOTBALL! If I wanted to watch soft tackles and enjoy it... id watch the Lingerie Football League, FIX IT!

See "Jerome Simpson flop" from this past Sunday - this needs to be addressed!

P.S. - That Jerome Simpson flop has made me laugh my butt off about 15 times now!

Even the hit on Nicks last night from the Saints safety was totally legal but it got called... SMH!

Wow, just wow. There needs to be some sort of discipline for that referee. Absolutely atrocious call

gotta admit that its pretty damn funny though :ols:

but if I were a Browns fan, especially after losing the game and that play may have caused them the turnover... id be writing Goodell

I must admit, the reffing has been absolutely abysmal this season, and its not just unsportsmanlike calls or unnecessary roughness calls, its stupid bull**** flags like pass interference, or really really really bad holding calls taht are BARELY holding, **** that happens on every single play, yet they are being called almost every single play this season

Fire the refs or get someone to take them out

What makes it even worse is that the ref was looking down and couldnt have seen the contact yet he still threw a flag. The ref should be fined for making a call that he couldnt see.

It's just a poster example of a good point that needs to be brought up in league discussions. These zebras are throwing flags for the heck of it... it really takes the morale right out of a team if they are holding a team or driving down the field and then a miscue like this comes about and kills it

I would love for every coach to get three challenges per game just for ref goofs. Some are honest, but some are outrageous. The PI call on Wilson could very well have won the game for the Seahawks last week. If the camera has a better angle than the ref why should a bad call (or even a terrible non-call) stand.

I must admit, the reffing has been absolutely abysmal this season, and its not just unsportsmanlike calls or unnecessary roughness calls, its stupid bull**** flags like pass interference, or really really really bad holding calls taht are BARELY holding, **** that happens on every single play, yet they are being called almost every single play this season

Fire the refs or get someone to take them out

I've seen about a million calls on Rak every game that get missed... i know its beating a dead horse to talk about but those are right out in the open and obvious. Maybe Rak should start swan diving backwards everytime and the Ref's make suddenly lose their blindness

I would love for every coach to get three challenges per game just for ref goofs. Some are honest, but some are outrageous. The PI call on Wilson could very well have won the game for the Seahawks last week. If the camera has a better angle than the ref why should a bad call (or even a terrible non-call) stand.

I agree with Instant replay for calls that should not be, but not the other way around. You could probably find a penalty on every single play if you looked hard enough.

To me, this is the result of Goodell's NFL. They've added more and more things for the refs to look at, they're paranoid about letting big hits go unpunished and everything is centered around discipline, discipline, discipline. They're so caught up in penalizing hits and calling all sorts of personal fouls for after the whistle acitivty calling the game itself has gotten completely lost in the shuffle. The officiating league wide this year is as bad as I've ever seen. It's been downright awful and inexcusable this year.

I agree with Instant replay for calls that should not be, but not the other way around. You could probably find a penalty on every single play if you looked hard enough.

You're probably right... I wouldn't mind challenges though... it's a toughie because the ones that should be challenged like PI are probably the ones they'd call "judgement" calls and not allow you to, but some of those misses are outrageous. Ought to be some kind of fix when the camera's eye catches a really impactful call or non call that's been miscalled.

No matter how much we all complain about the rules it is clear that the rules only apply to certain players, teams and organizations. It seems the refs are not calling the penalties equally for each team. Everyone can say that the penalties even themselves out in the end. Of course they do because the stats show that but what they don't show is when they are called. A good example would be a holding penalty would be called against the offense during a drive that might tie the game which stops the drive. The team ends up punting then the other team goes down and scores. A 10 to 14 point swing. Then when the other team has the game in hand then there are penalties called at the end to make up for those other calls. Whether they are the right call or not they are still not the same. No one can tell me that certain teams are given more leeway than others when it comes to penalties. Until a referee comes out and "drops a dime" on the referees it will continue to be that way. Why do you think that New England, Dallas, Pittsburg and a few other teams are always winning? No team has perfect blocking but the poor officiating can make them look that way.

You're underestimaing the speed of the game. It's easy for you, sitting on your couch and getting to see multiple replays, to make the correct call.

That is why the call should NOT be made unless it is deemed intentional. There are way too many calls made where the defender's momentum is involved and the ball carrier/receiver/QB lowers their head or changes their position at the last second.

These instances should be considered incidental and should not be called. It is taking way too much of the aggressive play out of the game. This is the main attraction to watching NFL football in the first place afterall.

Also there are way too many calls out of the corner of the ref's eye where he sees a player go down and just assumes their must be a penalty without actually seeing one.

Edit: A perfect example was the PI against Wilson. The ref could tell there was contact, but he was not in position to see that the receiver was the one actually making contact and not the defender. Hence the wrong call.

You're underestimaing the speed of the game. It's easy for you, sitting on your couch and getting to see multiple replays, to make the correct call.

Maybe they should chillout on throwing the flag to quick then.

I think all helmet to helmet hits should be fined, but don't let them have an impact on the game.

so 6 challenges in total for each coach?

What makes it even worse is that the ref was looking down and couldnt have seen the contact yet he still threw a flag. The ref should be fined for making a call that he couldnt see.

It even looks to me when he throws it that he looks very confused as to what to do.

After all these years and all their success,, the fact that they STILL use part time officials is a mystery I'll never understand.

Hire full time refs. School them. Coach them.

~Bang

Archived