Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Unbelievable sound in Seattle

Redskins Ruckus

It is exactly the kind of stadium I want Danny to build next time....but he won't.

---------- Post added November-28th-2011 at 09:02 PM ----------

I've said it before: that disgusting hole of a city does not deserve an NFL franchise. Removing the Sonics was a good start.

It's one of the best cities in the country. What do you hate about Seattle? Not much to hate about the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

When Paul Allen had the new stadium built he wanted to have the same noise level from the Old King Dome.

They say that the overhang that covers the fans in the upper level is to keep them dry when it rains (which it does a lot of in Seattle during football season) but it is really to amplify the crowd noise.

I like Seattle. My brother 2 cousins and an aunt and uncle live(ed) there. Been to the town quite a bit. My Bro lived on Whidby Is. But, maybe it's just because there's green there instead of this brown dry wind blown moonscape called Wyoming.

Try living there year round it totally sucks, I have and was so glad to get the hell out of that town.

Stadium was designed like soccer stadiums in Europe with roofing over the spectators. The result is the sound staying inside rather than floating up, essentially.

Weren't those hybrid stadiums of the 1960s and 1970s the same way?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZOIQ0BkP_mxH6SxVDEW1O4fbL7cgkZug2XjSaFYbxG18m2Y2nfg

See, look how RFK's roof kind of starts arching at the top instead of going straight up.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZOIQ0BkP_mxH6SxVDEW1O4fbL7cgkZug2XjSaFYbxG18m2Y2nfg

See, look how RFK's roof kind of starts arching at the top instead of going straight up.

Sorta, but take a look at any English soccer stadium and see how the roof is more similar to the style in Seattle. The design at RFK definitely helped though.

The stadium was not that loud yesterday, I've been to several games there, and its been much louder. The only time it even got loud was their score, the blocked kicks and a couple 3rd downs. Otherwise, I thought it was really tame.

The fans were fine, nothing crazy- just the standard boos. There was a lot of B&G in the stadium. I just watched the game on DVR, and saw even more than I realized being there. We had over 30 people at the Fox Sports bar Sat night, and a few of us went to the Fairmont and met some players. It rained and rained during the tailgate, but we had a decent turn out, and some stragglers came by who didn't even know about it, but saw us. I'll post a thread tomorrow w some pics.

My brother and I were parked by the Starbucks corporate office/garage. While TGing with some Hawks folks he knew we caught the customary boos and jeers, but nothing uncool.

Walking to Krispy Kreme, to use the head, some old guys calls out "Whaddya call the Redskins @ the SuperBowl???...Spectators!" My brother deadpans "That's funny I thought it was 3 time Champions..." Epic.

Walking to CenturyLink...

Locals even more vocal now. Most is still in the good natured realm, but a couple of no classers. The worse was when someone called out a slur about my mother (who's barely a year in the grave), but when it's a 50-2 (at least) ratio all you can do is point a finger and say "way to keep it classy..."

Once out of the alleyway and near the stadium, I start seeing a surprising amount of Redskins fans. It was pretty cool to be able to join into a random HTTR with people you've never met in a hostile environment. I might have even walked by some of the ESers. I was the late 30's guy with long brown hair, glasses, Burgundy Skins, beanie, white Portis jersey, and a clear rain poncho. I remember seeing a guy in a Skins luchador(sp?)

mask which was pretty cool.

At the game...

I dunno about any piped in noise, but it was PLENTY loud where I was sitting. At the stadium, people were pretty pleasant. The stadium is pretty sweet, well designed, and a great expirience though I didn't buy any beer or food there. I was shocked to see the fans starting to exit en masse when we took the lead as Seattle had time to come back...but the y didn't HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!

Leaving the game...

Once we were out of the stadium it started to get sketchy. All the good naturedness in the boos and hisses were LONG GONE. All of that "Seattle Hospitality" I'd read about on this board and thought exaggerated was in full bloom. They were straight *******s. Always screaming out about how we got "lucky". Yeah right, look at the stats chump. Had it not been for Rex's and Gano's buffoonery, it would have been a blowout. Walking back through that alley in the dark through all those hostile and now very drunk Hawk fans was a little spooky, but despite all the noise and insults, nobody actually threw anything. But if it's that bad in Seattle, I don't think I'm brave enough to try Philly or Oakland...maybe Dallas, or Denver.

HAIL!

Mr. Allen later hired Mr. Poulson to construct Qwest Field in Seattle. In addition to contracting engineers to make sure that the wind and rain would disproportionately hit the visitors' sideline, Mr. Poulson placed the cheapest endzone seats (where, he says, the "crazies" sit) atop steel risers that send thundering noise to the hard surfaces on the overhangs and roof, redirecting it back to the field. The Seahawks are among the NFL's leaders in false-start penalties called against visiting teams.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB117287576650325312.html

This is part of an article I found about stadiums being built to funnel noise.

Here's another article. http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/11/noisy_qwest_field_is_exactly_t.html

I know everyone wants a "loud" stadium' date=' but - Jesus - I can't imagine sitting in that 8 times a year. It doesn't look the least bit fun. I've done the front row of a ridiculously loud concert thing before and generally started to hate it after about an hour. I completely hated it the next day when I still couldn't hear.[/quote']

Isn't it half a fan's job at the stadium to make it difficult for the opposing team?

I dream of the day the Redskins build a similarly-loud stadium, with all the acoustic effects factored into the architecture, in D.C....

Yeah, then when they build the stadium too big and half the fans are from the opposing team we'll get to hear chants of "Lets go Dallas" even louder than we did in our game a few weeks ago.

RFK was a slightly different design.

Generally speaking, Three Rivers, Riverfront, Busch, the Vet, Shea, and RFK were concrete cereal bowls. The sound just kind of bounced around echoed to the degree that conrete allows echoes.

Those stadiums were probably "louder" than modern stadiums as an accident because they didn't have any open ends. They were loud the way being yelling inside a refrigerator box is "loud." For the record, FedEx should be that loud. The Redskins just suck.

As an aside, there was no single worst place in the world to "hear" a rock concert than a multipurpose stadium in the 70s. The bands would bring these huge speakers that had 0 clarity, turn them to 11, and have them face the crowd - which was not actually facing them since the stadiums were ovals. 10 percent of the people were hit fully in the face by a loud, distorted mix of drums and guitars. 90 percent of the people got an echo of the loud, distored mix of drums and guitars bouncing off plastic seats.

RFK was a slightly different design.

Generally speaking' date=' Three Rivers, Riverfront, Busch, the Vet, Shea, and RFK were concrete cereal bowls. The sound just kind of bounced around echoed to the degree that conrete allows echoes.

Those stadiums were probably "louder" than modern stadiums as an accident because they didn't have any open ends. They were loud the way being yelling inside a refrigerator box is "loud." For the record, FedEx should be that loud. The Redskins just suck.

As an aside, there was no single worst place in the world to "hear" a rock concert than a multipurpose stadium in the 70s. The bands would bring these huge speakers that had 0 clarity, turn them to 11, and have them face the crowd - which was not actually facing them since the stadiums were ovals. 10 percent of the people were hit fully in the face by a loud, distorted mix of drums and guitars. 90 percent of the people got an echo of the loud, distored mix of drums and guitars bouncing off plastic seats.[/quote']

People didn't seem to mind HSFestival at RFK; but I can totally see why it would suck to attend a rock concert in a place like the Vet or Busch.

People didn't seem to mind HSFestival at RFK; but I can totally see why it would suck to attend a rock concert in a place like the Vet or Busch.

The sound systems that bands used improved dramatically in the mid to late 90s. It only took them 35 years to figure it out.

Go to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame sometime. Assuming they still have it on display, there is a building-sized speaker that Neil Young used in the 70s before he sold it to Pink Floyd. I assume that the surround system in my living room can be both louder and clearer than that monstrosity. Look at it and imagine listening to a 25 minute version of Down By The River through it while sitting in a plastic seat in RFK. That was the 70s.

It's ironic that they finally figured out how to do sound on a stadium show at a time when there are no more stadium shows. Well, I'm sure Taylor Swift sounds awesome at FedEx.

---------- Post added November-29th-2011 at 01:41 PM ----------

Why buy a $100 ticket and brave Fedex traffic to sit silently in your seat?

Because I like watching sports on depressants.

The sound systems that bands used improved dramatically in the mid to late 90s. It only took them 35 years to figure it out.

Go to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame sometime. Assuming they still have it on display' date=' there is a building-sized speaker that Neil Young used in the 70s before he sold it to Pink Floyd. I assume that the surround system in my living room can be both louder and clearer than that monstrosity. Look at it and imagine listening to a 25 minute version of Down By The River through it while sitting in a plastic seat in RFK. That was the 70s.

It's ironic that they finally figured out how to do sound on a stadium show at a time when there are no more stadium shows. Well, I'm sure Taylor Swift sounds awesome at FedEx.

---------- Post added November-29th-2011 at 01:41 PM ----------

Because I like watching sports on depressants.

All I know is if I'm gonna spend 100 bucks on a ticket I'm gonna get the most out of my 100 win or lose. If I wanted to watch football sitting down all game I'd watch it on my tv (Though I'm usually not sitting then either between getting beers and such). I just wouldn't want spend a bunch of money to sit there for 4 hours quietly.

Larry Michael keeps talking about how they pipe in noise there but I don't pay much attention to him but when Doc Walker also said that it was obvious they are piping noise in, that makes me take notice.

As far as I'm concerned, it's now a myth how "great" fans are in Seattle until they can prove that they are not piping noise into that stadium. Too bad the vaunted "12th man" is a Mackie sound mixer.

exactly..wasn't it proven that the Hawks and Colts generated noise from speakers a few yrs ago?

The piped in noise from the Seahawks should be banned or replicated by other teams until it is banned. I noticed it the other week when I was watching a game of theirs so it's definitely not a one off occurrence.

I do remember the Steelers claiming that the Colts piped in crowd noise back in '05 in the old RCA Dome but to be honest I don't buy it. When I was there in '06 the noise was honestly disorienting. That place was really just an over sized basketball arena, the fans practically sat on the field and the seats went all the way to the top of the dome.

They had a show on discovery channel it might have been modern marvels that showed the building of the stadium and how it was built to funnel the noise to the field. The fans especially at the end zones are closer to the field than anyother stadium in the NFL

Seattle has suites at field level behind their endzones. That means a lighter concentration of people behind the endzones than most other venues.

Nowhere in the NFL will you find more humanity per square inch than at Lambeau. Despite the people packed in shoulder to shoulder, Lambeau isn't as loud as the upper deck in Seattle.

The 12th man there created a small earthquake last year in the playoff win against the Saints... look it up

No, that wasn't the 12th man... it was Beast Mode.... just ask Jim Mora, Jr.

---------- Post added November-29th-2011 at 03:15 PM ----------

Larry Michael keeps talking about how they pipe in noise there but I don't pay much attention to him but when Doc Walker also said that it was obvious they are piping noise in, that makes me take notice.

As far as I'm concerned, it's now a myth how "great" fans are in Seattle until they can prove that they are not piping noise into that stadium. Too bad the vaunted "12th man" is a Mackie sound mixer.

I've been there when it's full and it's hella loud. And that was for a soccer game against DC United.

Did you notice how empty that stadium was on Sunday? I'm talking real empty... they easily could've fit everyone in the lower bowl... that has to make you wonder.

Archived