Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Unbelievable sound in Seattle

Redskins Ruckus

It has been documented that they pump in noise, but I've actually heard them do it at FedEx too (not for a few years though). Actually, I think what they may do is have mics set up, and they leave them on (and turn them up) while the visitors have the ball...so it's technically not pumping in artifical noise, rather just amplifying the noise the actual crowd is making. Could be a loophole in the rule...

And as for the overhang thing, yes that stadium was designed for that, but there are plenty of open air stadiums without an overhang that get deafeningly loud, especially some of the huge college stadiums. And as others have said, there have been a few big games that FedEx have been extremely loud...people fawn over RFK like it was this awesome, magical place, but it was a dump...the TEAM is what was magical and if the Redskins were to perform at or near that level again, FedEx would be just as loud or louder.

It has been documented that they pump in noise' date=' but I've actually heard them do it at FedEx too (not for a few years though). Actually, I think what they may do is have mics set up, and they leave them on (and turn them up) while the visitors have the ball...so it's technically not pumping in artifical noise, rather just amplifying the noise the actual crowd is making. Could be a loophole in the rule...

And as for the overhang thing, yes that stadium was designed for that, but there are plenty of open air stadiums without an overhang that get deafeningly loud, especially some of the huge college stadiums. And as others have said, there have been a few big games that FedEx have been extremely loud...people fawn over RFK like it was this awesome, magical place, but it was a dump...the TEAM is what was magical and if the Redskins were to perform at or near that level again, FedEx would be just as loud or louder.[/quote']

When I think of deafening loud and open air stadium I think of Arrowhead. For note I don't think we could get to that level. The Redskins Cowboys game that we won last season was loud as hell and I still don't think we got near Arrowhead level.

Never been to a game there, but I've read that the stadium is positioned such that the home team is largely sheltered from the weather while the visitors get the brunt of it. The stadium is the same on both sides, so in theory its equally fair, but due to the prevailing winds the tendency is that the visitors get hit with the cold wind, rain and sleet while home bench is comparatively dry. And because the home team doesn't need to erect shelters for themselves there's little the visitor can do but grin and bear it. Can anybody who goes to games there confirm or refute that?

---------- Post added November-29th-2011 at 05:20 PM ----------

Yes it's that loud there. But the best sound was about 8 of us Skins fans singing "Hail to the Redskins" as the thousands of silent masses left the stadium before the game ended.
:ols: That, and the deafening silence when Gaffney cupped his ear as the crowd began to realize it was all crumbling away.

Seattle has suites at field level behind their endzones. That means a lighter concentration of people behind the endzones than most other venues.

Nowhere in the NFL will you find more humanity per square inch than at Lambeau. Despite the people packed in shoulder to shoulder, Lambeau isn't as loud as the upper deck in Seattle.

One end zone is aluminum bleacher seating for the purpose of making more noise it even says so in the article I posted earlier. Here's a seating Diagram of Qwest field. It looks like one end zon may have Suites above the lower level seating the other end zone looks to have none.There are suites in the corner of the end zones at club level.

http://www.gotickets.com/venues/wa/qwest_field.php

The thing is when we talk about the CenturyLink and Arrowheads of the world what we're not realizing is we could easily be one of the loudest stadiums. True Fedex Field is not ideally built for noise nor was it intended to be it seems. Nothing we can do about that physically unless we stick a overhand on the place. Centurylink has a bouncing roof and a entire stadium is built to reflect noise. It gives Seahawk fans the advantage of not necessarily killing themselves screaming all the time and yet the place can still remain loud. Then you have Arrowhead which is open just like Fedex Field(maybe even more so) but its loud as hell because its like a college atmosphere. Its a different type of crowd. This isn't knocking Redskins fans but rather explaining the difference. Chiefs have been just as bad as us and yet they keep attendance high just like us. Not to mention Arrowhead is lot less corporate than Fedex Field. Anyone who was at the Skin- Cboys game last season when we won on the holding call will tell you it was loud as hell. However, anyone who saw the MNF Chief-Chargers game will tell you it was ****ing psycho at Arrowhead.

Went to the playoff game in 2006 in Seattle. That was one very noisy place. Go figure. I also remember being at the Dallas game in December earlier that season when the Skins hung 35 on the Boys. My ears were ringing for a day after that game.

LJS, it was loud. The only thing I can compare it against is FedEx field. I have no clue what all the conspiracy theories are out there. I just know it was loud. Anyways, it was a great game to watch. I didn't fly out there specifically for the 'Skins. I have family out there and it was a holiday weekend. Two birds, one stone.

Compared to the playoff game jan of 2008 and other regular season games I've been to, not nearly as loud. Pockets of loudness yea, like I said- when they scored or got an INT. but it was pretty tame compared to the playoff game, or one of their division rivals.

As far as The fans, I didn't have any problems this yr, and noticed a lot of empty seats, and a lot of Redskins fans.

Archived