Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Anyone ever wear 21 again?

Daaskins

It's time to move on, if someone wants to wear it, let them wear it.

I respectfully completely disagree when it comes to the topic at hand.

This isn't a retired player we're talking about here. This is one of our own that lost his life through no fault of his own; and that tragic event affected an inordinate amount of people; many, naturally, Redskins fans.

Out of respect for the man's life #21 should be our first officially retired number IMHO.

He may be gone. But from this organization, he should NEVER be forgotten.

---------- Post added November-28th-2011 at 04:44 PM ----------

Darrent Williams was tragically murdered in 2007 and Knowshon Moreno wears his number now. Eventually people just need to move on.

That's the Broncos deal .(And there's a story behind it as regards his mom agreeing and what he agreed in return.).

The Redskins are ours. And the ONLY one that concerns me.

Hail.

Why not? It's been four years. He was a great football player, and I don't want to sound unsensitive (he was my favorite player too)... but anyone saying that Sean Taylor was their hero or if they are still effected by his death four years later on a personal level, when they didn't know him personally, is just trying to get attention and should try harder to live their lives.

Honestly, don't take this the wrong way, but, who the heck are you to say how someone else should deal with this? What makes you the almighty judge of what is acceptable and what isn't?

Your opinion is that you've moved on and you're no longer affected by this. That's absolutely fine. Someone else's opinion may differ which is also fine.. trying to play judge and act as if the way you feel is the "right" way and everyone else is wrong is pretty self centered and just ignorant to sensitive matters.

We may not know him personally but we pulled for him with a lot of passion each and every Sunday since he was drafted. We watched him from his first stellar pre-season to his first start, his first INT, Fumble, TD...all with the same passion we have every Sunday when we watch the Skins. So yes, some people will carry it with them for a long time. That is their right, you or anyone else has no say over that, sorry.

I'm not really ready to see another 21 but mainly because that was the last time this franchise really had something special. If we pretty much let it go now, what's left? i don't have an issue with someone wearing it again in the future, but just not right now.

What I find annoying (and I know, it's your right to feel the way you want to) is how so many fans come in here talking about Sean Taylor like he was their brother or best friend. That is disrespectful. That also shows that the person who feels that way hasn't lived enough of their life to know that this tragedy, while horrific, is not that big of a deal in their own lives.

Notice most of the guys posting against me are under the age of 25.... I'm just saying.

HAIL!

Most people opposing your point of view are under the age of 25 because younger people have a higher tendency to idolize players. For a lot of young people, Sean Taylor is synonymous with the most successful era of Redskins football that they can remember. Sean Taylor's playstyle alone was enough to grab the attention of a generation of Redskins fans.

I know that, personally, I didn't care much for Redskins football until 2004. After I saw Sean Taylor play, I never missed another game. Despite the fact that Sean Taylor never had a chance to grow into his full potential, his death was devastating to Redskins fans who essentially grew up with him.

First off the Redskins do not retire numbers. There is only one officially retired number (33) and I am sorry but that is the way it should be. The Redskins do have unofficially retired numbers (7, 9, 28, 42, 43, 44, 49, 65, 70, and of course 81)
7 - Danny Wuerffel had JoeyTs permission to wear, but he relented to fans and wore 17

9 - Shane Matthews wore fro training camp before fan backlash forced him to change to 6

28 - VACANT

42 - VACANT

43 - VACANT

44 - VACANT

49 - VACANT

65 - VACANT

70 - VACANT

81 - VACANT

This really borders on the obsessive. Teams can honor players with Ring of Honor placards. There is no reason to retire numbers. Lets just eliminate the 40 series, since all we have left are 40, 41, 45, 46, 47, 48. We have eliminated 40% of the numbers! If a player can wear 66, 72, 71, 63, 53, 37..... anyone should be able to wear any number. The name on the back is secondary.

I think it should be worn again. We have the Ring of Fame to honor our great players, we don't need to have numbers out of circulation too because eventually you will run out of them. Many players wore 21 before Sean did, and I feel that they should just be numbers and not belong to a single player. This same kind of issue is coming up in NASCAR with Austin Dillon taking the 3 up to the Nationwide series, but I believe Dale Earnhardt Jr. said it best, "The number is more of a bank that you just deposit history into."

I think its funny when people say he wasnt here long enough to have this honor or even be praised. Forget about football for a second. What he did in those moments before he was shot is worth more than what he or anybody has ever done on a football field. Protecting his daughter and fiancee from the intruders is worth any amount praise from anybody. Dude when out protecting his family. I think its safe to say those two girls' lives are worth more than any of our three Lombarde trophies.

Then you add the fact that hes one of the best football players to ever play for us, Id say its more than enough to retire the number.

Someone should wear the number. its not like he was the first and only one to wear it. MJ was 23 in chicago and therefore no one should wear it. it was a unique number that no one wore before.

It's like you overdosed on dumbass pills and washed it down with idiot juice.

I mean, really? That's your argument? It's irrelevant that he's not the first, and your Jordan comment is factually inaccurate and took two seconds for Google to load that you are WAY off.

To do that in this thread, after being here for five years, is just stupid, man.

I've said it a million times, 21 should never be worn again.

Agreed. I don't are how any years it's been.

Yes, we need to move on. But retiring #21 isn't asking a lot. The player that wore that number was MURDERED. The organization should honor him forever.

Nobody should EVER wear 21 again.

I mean, really? That's your argument? It's irrelevant that he's not the first, and your Jordan comment is factually inaccurate and took two seconds for Google to load that you are WAY off.

To do that in this thread, after being here for five years, is just stupid, man.

there are other ways to show respect to sean taylor than to not use his number. 21 isn't even his original number.

there are other ways to show respect to sean taylor than to not use his number. 21 isn't even his original number.

It's what you do in sports; it's universal. You pointed out that it spans the entire sports spectrum to show respect.

Who cares that his number changed? He played as 21 for the majority of his career.

Which number will the Lakers retire for Kobe?

It's what you do in sports; it's universal. You pointed out that it spans the entire sports spectrum to show respect.

Who cares that his number changed? He played as 21 for the majority of his career.

Which number will the Lakers retire for Kobe?

who knows. kobe will pretty much both of his numbers an equal time if we plays another few years.

Again, this is one of those issues where neither side will see the view of the other. I look at Sean Taylor as a football player, as I didn't know him personally. I am an Army Ranger, so a football player isn't going to be my hero. Any of you who say Sean Taylor is your hero, and you aren't named Jackie Garcia, need to adjust your site picture. It's admirable what he did, and it could be an example of what to do to protect your families, but there are guys who die protecting their families every day.... do we put a wall up in communities for that? No. They are often forgotten by all except their families. But he was a Redskin.

That said, I loved Sean as a player. But his jersey shouldn't be retired.

Help me understand how someone else wearing 21 will make you forget Sean Taylor? I have yet to see a good argument.

it's an opinion..... not everyone is going to agree on this, soo why don't we all agree to disagree and move on to the next topic

it's an opinion..... not everyone is going to agree on this, soo why don't we all agree to disagree and move on to the next topic

What he said was that we should do what happened with Jordan, and his version of what happened, well, didn't happen.

I'm out. I fell for the trap, and that was stupid.

Unofficially retire #21.

I've seen two players have the same exact number in preseason then pick #21, so at least the players feel that way right now, so I have to respect that. It's easier to just forget the number is available then try to press to move on. And I'm definitely not down with the "wait till someone is deserving" should get it. Who the hell is to make that decision???

Edit: Only redskins number retired is #33, Sammy Baugh. Everyone else, Riggins, Monk, Sonny, Darrell Green, all are UNofficially retired. Leave the damn number alone.

Archived