Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Anyone ever wear 21 again?

Daaskins

I may sound crazy but i feel no on should where 21 again. with anniversary just passing and all it made me think.

Why not just retire the number?

Who will have the balls to request 21?

Hopefully no one in my generation. ( i am only 19)

Thoughts on this?

Should stay retired forever.

I said the same thing on another thread Sunday. I dont wanna see anyone else wearing #21. Time is a healer, but for the foreseeable future it's definitely a no from me... It's not like we have a player even half worthy of Sean's legacy anyway. The Skins dont officially retire numbers but its a brave man who wants to come and take it... Atogwe used to wear it for the rams but refused to take it again here...

I think that it should be held out of circulation until someone very special comes along that is well deserving of wearing that number but retiring it isn't in the discussion. I love the way Sean Taylor played but he wasn't around long enough to make enough of an impact on the sport to warrant it. He never got to achieve what he could have so don't retire the jersey but be very selective of who is the next one to wear it.

First off the Redskins do not retire numbers. There is only one officially retired number (33) and I am sorry but that is the way it should be. The Redskins do have unofficially retired numbers (7, 9, 28, 42, 43, 44, 49, 65, 70, and of course 81) which are numbers they just do not hand out any more (with very few exceptions). Obviously 21 has not been given out since Taylor's death and that is the right thing to do. However, there are players that have made much more significant contributions to the Redskins (and the NFL in general) whose numbers are still handed out (55 and 71 come to mind). You can not un/officially retire everyone's number. I have a great amount of respect for Taylor but retiring numbers officially (or unofficially) is supposed to be for players who made long-lasting significant contributions to the team; Taylor was a very good player . . . he might have even turned out to be a great player -- but was he one of the 12 best or most significant players in franchise history? I am sure I will draw a lot of ire for saying this (especially from younger fans) but not handing out his number for 5 or 10 years is the right thing to do; however, permanently retiring it in my mind is not the right thing to do. Honor him in the ring of fame (or whatever it is call now-a-days) that is fine but mentioning him in the same breath as players such as Riggins, Huff, Monk, Baugh, Charley Taylor etc is just not right. It was a tragedy that he was killed in the prime of his life while defending his wife and child but jerseys should be retired for years of significant accomplishments on the field.

and NO not this IMO.

Why not? It's been four years. He was a great football player, and I don't want to sound unsensitive (he was my favorite player too)... but anyone saying that Sean Taylor was their hero or if they are still effected by his death four years later on a personal level, when they didn't know him personally, is just trying to get attention and should try harder to live their lives.

Why not? It's been four years. He was a great football player, and I don't want to sound unsensitive (he was my favorite player too)... but anyone saying that Sean Taylor was their hero or if they are still effected by his death four years later on a personal level, when they didn't know him personally, is just trying to get attention.

I understand your point of view, but I disagree. It was a tragic death of a young man and that should be respected forever more.

Thoughts on this?

We only have one officially retired jersey and it will likely stay that way for the foreseeable future. Someone may wear 21 again someday but that's probably a ways off and will only occur under special circumstances (among which might be the death of Dan Snyder). As it is, your thread is about 4 years too late.

Why not? It's been four years. He was a great football player, and I don't want to sound unsensitive (he was my favorite player too)... but anyone saying that Sean Taylor was their hero or if they are still effected by his death four years later on a personal level, when they didn't know him personally, is just trying to get attention and should try harder to live their lives.

By that measure, no jersey is worth retiring. Especially not Sammy Baugh's. I mean, damn... it's been damn near 60 years! We should have been over him at least half a century ago.

If you get a very special player, particularly at that position, and he earns the number, sure.

As of now, I don't think anyone should wear it. Just a matter of respecting him. He wasn't here long, but you could make a damn good case that he was the best player on our football team during that period. His impact was short-lived, but it WAS an impact. So if there's a guy that comes along and does incredibly wel, and the team wants to give him 21, let 'emn have it. But I think you have to earn it, just like I'd expect people have to earn the numbers 33, 9, 7, 44, 81, et all.

By that measure, no jersey is worth retiring. Especially not Sammy Baugh's. I mean, damn... it's been damn near 60 years! We should have been over him at least half a century ago.

Sammy Baugh is arguably one of the greatest players in the history of the NFL. He won championships for this franchise... Sean Taylor (again, treading lightly here) was a great player, could've been one of the best ever, and his life ended horribly and pre-maturely, but he didn't do nearly as much for this franchise as Sammy Baugh did.

What I am saying, is that the same thread gets brought up every couple of months where someone is "thinking about Sean Taylor and it made them sad," or asking the "should his jersey be officially retired" question.... and it gets so old.

What happened to the man is terrible, his jersey should not be retired because of it, though.

Redskins fans need to learn how to move on. Someone can wear his number without us forgetting about him. If his number is issued to someone, it is not going to make me forget him and I don't think it's disrespectful.

What I find annoying (and I know, it's your right to feel the way you want to) is how so many fans come in here talking about Sean Taylor like he was their brother or best friend. That is disrespectful. That also shows that the person who feels that way hasn't lived enough of their life to know that this tragedy, while horrific, is not that big of a deal in their own lives.

Notice most of the guys posting against me are under the age of 25.... I'm just saying.

HAIL!

I don't think we'll see someone wear it for as long as Snyder is the owner of the team.

I don't think it should be retired. I only think a number should be retired due to on the field play and accomplishments.

However, I have no issue with it being "unofficially" retired in that its just not worn.

Dude was great but only played 3 1/2 years on some very bad football teams and only wore the number 2 1/2 years. He was great in 2005 and a bad team in 2007 used his death to push themselves into the playoffs.. he is remembered fondly but its time to move on. He didnt win championships like so many other players... there were a few great games and a few memorable plays.... not enough to retire the number or hold it back from being worn imo.

He died tragically and its time for a young player to take the number and make it his own and live up to the standard he set.

Sammy Baugh is arguably one of the greatest players in the history of the NFL. He won championships for this franchise... Sean Taylor (again, treading lightly here) was a great player, could've been one of the best ever, and his life ended horribly and pre-maturely, but he didn't do nearly as much for this franchise as Sammy Baugh did.

All value in this world is arbitrary. There are tons of people out there who, even if they knew who Baugh was, would not regard him as a top 100 player because of their personal beliefs, experiences, and rooting interests. As (reasonably) knowledgeable Redskins fans, we'd say that we know better than that and would certainly make a strong case for him but it is absolutely not something that is set in stone. The same principle applies to just about everything, even something whose value is supposedly fixed (e.g, money - is one million dollars worth more to Bill Gates or a single mother just barely getting by working two minimum wage jobs?).

Taylor clearly didn't stand out to you and you never became particularly attached to him, for whatever reasons of your own. That's absolutely cool. Just don't expect people to share your thoughts and feelings on the subject when their experiences and values are entirely different. Personally, I was not a terribly big supporter of Gibbs in his second stint in any way, shape, or form. It seemed like a lot of guys a decade or so older than I were loyal to a fault when it came to evaluating his performance (specifically, as an offensive mind and team-builder). I also have never fully bought in to Riggins' legend as so many have. In both cases, though, I was never so dense as to fail to understand why they believed the things they believed and could respect the fact that we would never see eye-to-eye on the subject.

What I am saying, is that the same thread gets brought up every couple of months where someone is "thinking about Sean Taylor and it made them sad," or asking the "should his jersey be officially retired" question.... and it gets so old.

What I find annoying (and I know, it's your right to feel the way you want to) is how so many fans come in here talking about Sean Taylor like he was their brother or best friend. That is disrespectful. That also shows that the person who feels that way hasn't lived enough of their life to know that this tragedy, while horrific, is not that big of a deal in their own lives.

That's your personal hangup. If it really bothers you that much I suggest you take your own advice and "try harder to live [your life]".
Notice most of the guys posting against me are under the age of 25.... I'm just saying.

HAIL!

I'm fairly positive that you're not sure what you're saying, to be honest :ols:

We only have one officially retired jersey and it will likely stay that way for the foreseeable future. Someone may wear 21 again someday but that's probably a ways off and will only occur under special circumstances (among which might be the death of Dan Snyder). As it is, your thread is about 4 years too late.

Sammy Baugh is the best player we ever had. Sean Taylor was good, but only really good for maybe 3 years. Brian Orakpo already has 2 probowls, but if he retired after this year no one would remember him.

Sammy Baugh is the best player we ever had. Sean Taylor was good, but only really good for maybe 3 years. Brian Orakpo already has 2 probowls, but if he retired after this year no one would remember him.

Are you just stating random facts or was this intended to be some sort of rebuttal? If it is the latter, then you missed the point.

Archived