Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Anyone ever wear 21 again?

Daaskins

Dion Warwick? Peter Warrick or Deion Snyderpuss, I don't give a damn, the guy died tragically, is it too much to ask to retire one number for him? I mean it is one number, and to pass it out again means what, you moved on? While to hold it back means you will never forget what he meant to the team, his family would appreciate that.

Harold McLinton played for the Redskins for 10 years, he was hit by a car,

helping someone on the side of the road and died. should we retire his number?

My opinion is that retired (officially or otherwise) numbers should be based solely on on-the-field performance and impact on the organization over an extended period of time. Taylor as a player just doesn't really fit in the conversation with the other "untouchables" that have been mentioned.

Sean was good. Hell he was my kids' favorite player. It sucked that he was murdered and it's a damn shame that such a promising career was cut short. But it is what it is. The idea that because it was the "tragic death of a young man" we need to memorialize and dwell on it till the end of days is just not reasonable. It sadly happens thousands of times every day in cities around the country. And it's a tragedy every time.

When someone mentions Sean Taylor the number 21 doesn't pop into my head. When I think of Sean I think of his drive, his passion, the energy with which he played the game. I think of his hits, I think of his flair. I think of the images of him with his little girl. I don't think of a two digit number that had no more to do with who Sean was than his shoe laces did. Let someone else have the number and let them try to be successful with it. Because of all the things that Taylor was, it sure as hell wasn't just a number and that's not how we should choose to remember him.

I'm out.

Why not? It's been four years. He was a great football player, and I don't want to sound unsensitive (he was my favorite player too)... but anyone saying that Sean Taylor was their hero or if they are still effected by his death four years later on a personal level, when they didn't know him personally, is just trying to get attention and should try harder to live their lives.

Being a proud father of a little girl born the same year and month as his little girl, Sean is somewhat of a hero for what he was doing when he was mortally wounded. Protecting his family from intruders. Perhaps you don't know what a hero is, or have an obviously different view of one(spiderman, Batman, Power Rangers...).

Sorry if all you remember was his football career, I remember the troubles he had early on and the maturation process that he was going through in front of us all here.

Being a proud father of a little girl born the same year and month as his little girl, Sean is somewhat of a hero for what he was doing when he was mortally wounded. Protecting his family from intruders. Perhaps you don't know what a hero is, or have an obviously different view of one(spiderman, Batman, Power Rangers...).

Sorry if all you remember was his football career, I remember the troubles he had early on and the maturation process that he was going through in front of us all here.

Yep, and you read the whole thread obviously... missed where it said I am an Army Ranger... and not a school house one... if you are a real sniper you'll know what that means. Now that I am done measuring myself in front of you, here's your ruler back...hope I stack up!

I know what a hero is. It's great that he did what he did for his family, that's the job of a father. As I said, fathers and husbands die each year protecting their families. They are forgotten right after a new story breaks by everyone except their families.

So, the fact that he did this for his family means that no one should ever wear 21 again?

If that's what you are saying, and that's what you believe, fine. It's a weak argument.

EDIT: And the fact that you felt the NEED to write: "Being a proud father of a little girl born the same year and month as his little girl" completely illustrates my point about how some people feel the need to latch on to a tragedy and make it a bigger deal in their own lives than it needs to be. If you are that affected by a football player dying, you must live a little bit for your own good!

Harold McLinton played for the Redskins for 10 years, he was hit by a car,

helping someone on the side of the road and died. should we retire his number?

Possibly should have, but hey that's me. He was retired for two years when it happened. He wore number 53 btw, and Bostic wore it after.

there was a thread about Harold after Sean's murder here on ES......

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?223834-Harold-McLinton

---------- Post added December-1st-2011 at 04:36 PM ----------

There are people who passionately want his number retired to honor him and then there are those who don't really care but want it to be issued just because they need an opinion on the topic.

Anyone notice the problem there?

Yes, and as I said what would it hurt to retire the number? While re-issuing the number would bring bad memories for most fans and probably his family. But you are right there are some that are just looking for a fight on that matter.

---------- Post added December-1st-2011 at 04:47 PM ----------

I just cant see how anyone would touch that number..... Just out of respect cmon guys seriously????
EDIT: And the fact that you felt the NEED to write: "Being a proud father of a little girl born the same year and month as his little girl" completely illustrates my point about how some people feel the need to latch on to a tragedy and make it a bigger deal in their own lives than it needs to be. If you are that affected by a football player dying, you must live a little bit for your own good!

Though I never walked a mile in your shoes I can imagine them, can you mine? can you his? Thank you for your service I appreciate it. But please remember what you are or have fought for, freedom. Freedom to express and feel freely. I think we should retire his number, many of the reasons are personal to me. But none run deeper than the fact that Sean was a Redskin through and through. He died senselessly at the hand of greed. Compassion should be our bullet to fight such senselessness. Maybe we should ask Pedro about this and let him make the decision for his family. And whatever he decides would be good by me. I would not want to have a sense that the Redskins somehow caused more pain one way or the other on this matter.

With that I am moving on, peace.

Yep, and you read the whole thread obviously... missed where it said I am an Army Ranger... and not a school house one... if you are a real sniper you'll know what that means. Now that I am done measuring myself in front of you, here's your ruler back...hope I stack up!

I know what a hero is. It's great that he did what he did for his family, that's the job of a father. As I said, fathers and husbands die each year protecting their families. They are forgotten right after a new story breaks by everyone except their families.

So, the fact that he did this for his family means that no one should ever wear 21 again?

If that's what you are saying, and that's what you believe, fine. It's a weak argument.

Meh.

Thanks for your service, my father was Army in Vietnam and my grandfather is what would be the Marines in Europe during WWII, so I do understand the sacrifice from that family's perspective.

However, you greatly minimize what he did and the impact that it had. With everything that you've done, you've never died for your family. You can beat your chest and measure whatever the hell that you want to measure, but you didn't do what that man did. Dying to protect your family can never, ever be minimized, and it's disappointing that you would cite literally nothing as a vague statistic in order to negate what all of those husbands and fathers did. Your intent or otherwise, that's a terrible thing to do.

The fact that he did this combined with what he meant to this fanbase (sans some, obviously), his team, the league while he was playing, and a multitude of other factors that cannot be conveniently isolated out of context as you're doing are reasons that 21 should just be left alone.

And please don't preach to anyone about how they should feel; I hate it when people do that. People feel the way that they feel.

So you were in the Rangers and were home schooled or whatever the hell that means, get over it. Lots of people were and actually died while performing their duties. You're not now, so stop trying to brag and pretend that you're something now that you're just not.

Sounds like a pretty awful thing to say, doesn't it? Stop doing the equivalent to those to whom Sean was that important.

i love how you are getting mad about this thread lol. its just fun to watch.

Sorry man, if that's your interpretation, then that's what you want to see. Whatever gets you off is your own business.

It would be nice, however, if you contributed to the thread with something meaningful as opposed to what you've added so far.

Sorry man, if that's your interpretation, then that's what you want to see. Whatever gets you off is your own business.

It would be nice, however, if you contributed to the thread with something meaningful as opposed to what you've added so far.

pot meets kettle. look whose talking. why do it bother you so much that people don't care if 21 is used again?

pot meets kettle. look whose talking. why do it bother you so much that people don't care if 21 is used again?

I've already given my piece. In fact, you quoted it. I'm not quite sure how you don't get it, but you didn't. Funny, though, that you proved it correct in a couple of ways.

Thanks for that.

Ever? Probably. However, the 20s, 30s, and 40s are unique numbers in that they apply to two position groups (DB/RB). I've said this before and I stand by it. 21 should not be worn by a defensive back for a long, long time. If ever. However, I wouldn't be opposed to a running back wearing 21, just like I wouldn't object to a DB wearing 44.

What I am saying, is that the same thread gets brought up every couple of months where someone is "thinking about Sean Taylor and it made them sad," or asking the "should his jersey be officially retired" question.... and it gets so old.

Says the poster who joined Extremeskins less than 6 months ago

Archived