Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Anyone ever wear 21 again?

Daaskins

I understand your point of view, but I disagree. It was a tragic death of a young man and that should be respected forever more.

You're basically saying he was only a football player. The tragedy isn't his lost football career, it's the family he was taken from.

Let someone wear #21 if they want, it's not like they are saying I'm the next Sean Taylor.

Again, this is one of those issues where neither side will see the view of the other. I look at Sean Taylor as a football player, as I didn't know him personally. I am an Army Ranger, so a football player isn't going to be my hero. Any of you who say Sean Taylor is your hero, and you aren't named Jackie Garcia, need to adjust your site picture. It's admirable what he did, and it could be an example of what to do to protect your families, but there are guys who die protecting their families every day.... do we put a wall up in communities for that? No. They are often forgotten by all except their families. But he was a Redskin.

That said, I loved Sean as a player. But his jersey shouldn't be retired.

Help me understand how someone else wearing 21 will make you forget Sean Taylor? I have yet to see a good argument.

Just so you know, you are the only person who has used the word hero in this thread. Furthermore, no one has said that they would forget Sean if someone else adorned his jersey. You are quite literally arguing with nobody.

What ST accomplished on the field was not worthy of having his number retired. It wasn't a matter of not being good enough, it was a matter of not doing it for long enough. He may have been headed towards best safety of all time, but we only saw the beginning of that career's ascension, and we don't know how it would have turned out.

So, in order to justify retiring his jersey #, it has to be argued that STs career meant something more than what he actually accomplished on the field. Which isn't hard to do. But I turn to a particular, clear example of a time when someone in sports was honored with a jersey retiring that was in excess of what he accomplished on the field. Jackie Robinson had his jersey retired throughout all of major league baseball. He is the only player so honored; He was not the greatest baseball player of all time. Robinson was great, but Willie Mays was better, as were many other baseball players throughout it's history. However his career meant more than what he what he accomplished on the field, because he broke the color barrier, and it at socially significant time. What Sean Taylor's career meant doesn't compare to this. So, no, I don't think his number should be retired. However, I do think if anyone came in and requested 21 right now, that guy would be a dick.

Also, I bet if we retired 21, Deion Sanders would try and claim it was for him.

P.S. How are 2 career long Redskins, Russ Grimm and Chris Hanburger, in the NFL HOF, but not on the Redskins unofficially retired jersey number list? You can give out 7, 65 and 70 for all I care, but 68 and 55 should off the table.

Edit: After doing a little research, I suppose the argument I just made about Grimm and Hanburger also applies to Cliff Battles and Turk Edwards.

I may sound crazy but i feel no on should where 21 again. with anniversary just passing and all it made me think.

Why not just retire the number?

Who will have the balls to request 21?

Hopefully no one in my generation. ( i am only 19)

Thoughts on this?

I say yes. And it should happen now. 21 should never be retired. He's not in the HOF. He's not close to being one of the all time great Redskin players. Why wouldn't it be?

---------- Post added November-30th-2011 at 03:10 AM ----------

It's time to move on, if someone wants to wear it, let them wear it.

Exactly.

---------- Post added November-30th-2011 at 03:20 AM ----------

21/28/81/33/44 are untouchables and shouldnt be worn again
Sorry, but Taylor's name doesn't belong in the same sentence with those other guys.

I say yes. And it should happen now. 21 should never be retired. He's not in the HOF. He's not close to being one of the all time great Redskin players. Why wouldn't it be?

---------- Post added November-30th-2011 at 03:10 AM ----------

Exactly.

i think it's telling that people don't want to wear it. this generation of players studied his tape. he was HOF talent in the making, he was dynamic and a fan and player favorite for a generation, but really he was (besides maybe the arrival of joe gibbs again) the coolest player to root for when we were in a dark era. i remember when i went to the hall of fame, the face of the franchise when i first walked in was sean taylor. he was the player of this generation, whether through his tragic death or sparks of true glorious highlights.

having said that, when the time is right, the time will be right... could be never, could just be the next generation of players and fans.

The longer the wait to issue that number again, the bigger the elephant in the room gets. They should issue the number next season, even if it's to camp fodder with no shot at making the active roster. Taylor's on field exploits do not deserve the number being retired (especially since one of his seasons he was wearing 36...a better number btw for a saftey). Certainly not more than 72 for Diron Talbert or Dexter, 65 for Dave Butz, 71 for Charles Mann. How about arguably the greatest safety of all time? Ken Houston. 27 is still being issued.

The reason for any sentiment to "retire" the number is due to his murder. They have already erected his name in the ring of fame. They have had a 1 year memorial to Sean (and I'll wager they'll do another one next year when the 5th year anniversary of his death arrives). This is more than enough to honor the memory of Sean Taylor.

It's time to issue the number again.

You're basically saying he was only a football player. The tragedy isn't his lost football career, it's the family he was taken from.

Let someone wear #21 if they want, it's not like they are saying I'm the next Sean Taylor.

How did your surmise that?

IMO, the tragedy is against humanity itself. He should be remembered and honored as a victim of a senseless act, we Redskins fans owe him and his family that. He was stolen from all of us, family, fans, friends and even opponents. I'd say retire the number, but JMHO.

---------- Post added November-30th-2011 at 08:29 AM ----------

The longer the wait to issue that number again, the bigger the elephant in the room gets.

The reason for any sentiment to "retire" the number is due to his murder. They have already erected his name in the ring of fame. They have had a 1 year memorial to Sean (and I'll wager they'll do another one next year when the 5th year anniversary of his death arrives). This is more than enough to honor the memory of Sean Taylor.

Disagree that it is more than enough.

The number needs to be issued again. I loved the way Sean Taylor played on the field. Had he kept up the pace he played, he would have been in the HOF for sure. His life was taking away unfairly and suddenly. It hit all of us hard. The pain still is there for a lot of people.

But we need to move on. By giving the number out I think it would help the healing process come full circle. If you don't want to give it to a DB, that is cool, give it to running backs only. Whatever we do, we need to do it now.

The longer the wait to issue that number again, the bigger the elephant in the room gets. They should issue the number next season, even if it's to camp fodder with no shot at making the active roster. Taylor's on field exploits do not deserve the number being retired (especially since one of his seasons he was wearing 36...a better number btw for a saftey). Certainly not more than 72 for Diron Talbert or Dexter, 65 for Dave Butz, 71 for Charles Mann. How about arguably the greatest safety of all time? Ken Houston. 27 is still being issued.

I think the number should be allowed. But maybe a few more years need to go by. There's still too many reminders around.

Not to be insensitive, but as tends to happen when someone passes, the legend of Sean Taylor has exceeded his actual accomplishments. I've always been on the other side and in the minority on this, but I was one that thought putting him in the Ring of Honor was ridiculous.

But I totally agree, in general, this whole discussion is because he was murdered.

I really don't know how I personally feel about this. I don't have a strong opinion for or against retiring numbers. Maybe a compromise? Retire the number for a certain length of time - maybe ten years? By then, fans have moved on to cheering for a new group of Redskins, and they're not as emotionally attached to those numbers as what they would be if that player had just retired. Another idea I have is only retire numbers to players who make the Hall of Fame. I also wouldn't be upset if teams never retired numbers - but I'd say for each individual team, they could decide who was worthy enough to wear that number.

You know, I have to disagree with whoever said numbers shouldn't be retired because those players are more than just a number. Well, I agree that those players are more than just a number, however, on the field - you see #44 running through the counter-gap to pick up a first down, you see #81 making a great catch down field to set up first and goal, you see #28 intercepting the ball for a pick six. I think those numbers become as much to those players as the name on the back of the jersey. With that said, I still wouldn't be upset over new Redskins wearing those numbers, but I would make it a point to say these are very special numbers and you have to earn these numbers. You can either choose to wear #44 and honor John Riggins, or you can keep your number and make that one special for someone else down the road.

Like I said, I really don't have a strong opinion. I miss seeing a good #7 or #44 out there. Heck, I'd love to see that old single face bar helmet again.

The number needs to be issued again. I loved the way Sean Taylor played on the field. Had he kept up the pace he played, he would have been in the HOF for sure. His life was taking away unfairly and suddenly. It hit all of us hard. The pain still is there for a lot of people.

But we need to move on. By giving the number out I think it would help the healing process come full circle. If you don't want to give it to a DB, that is cool, give it to running backs only. Whatever we do, we need to do it now.

Well said. Giving the # to someone else isn't disrespecting his legacy. His legacy is proven by the simple fact that we are even having this conversation.

What happens when a Dion Sanders in his prime type player, says he will only come to the redskins if he can keep his number 21. What would you all say then?

Dion Warwick? Peter Warrick or Deion Snyderpuss, I don't give a damn, the guy died tragically, is it too much to ask to retire one number for him? I mean it is one number, and to pass it out again means what, you moved on? While to hold it back means you will never forget what he meant to the team, his family would appreciate that.

Archived