Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Whatever happened to Chris Nield?

Burgold

The rook started the season on fire and was on a pace for 32 sacks this year. Now, stone cold. It's like he's fallen off the earth. Sure, you see him holding his own in the middle and spelling Coefield, but that's not what he was drafted for. Mr. Almost Irrelevent was drafted to wreck havoc... he was the dogs of war. Lawrence Taylor, Reggie White... pfah! They had nudding on Chris Nield... and then... I mean the kid must have gotten a full head and just loafed. He showed it the first game...

CHRIS ONE GAME DOES NOT A SEASON MAKE. WE EXPECT A FIVE SACK GAME FROM YOU ASPCA!

Don't go invisible on us, man.

Here's to another pup having a solid year and finding a place on this team and in the NFL.

He's still getting snaps. I think he'll be one of those reliable guys on the D-Line for years to come. Maybe never a superstar, but a role player you can count on to do the job. I'm looking forward to a healthy Jarvis Jenkins coming back, and seeing him and Nield man the line.

I'm with ya Burgold. One very good game then the kid starts thinking he's all that. Needs to spend less time at the buffet table and more time working on his position. :mad: That he's getting in there in the rotation is outstanding considering his draft position. Good old hard working kind of a guy

He's still getting snaps. I think he'll be one of those reliable guys on the D-Line for years to come. Maybe never a superstar, but a role player you can count on to do the job. I'm looking forward to a healthy Jarvis Jenkins coming back, and seeing him and Nield man the line.

Can Jarvis Jenkins be productive after that type of injury?

Can Jarvis Jenkins be productive after that type of injury?

Looks like he is doing all he can...

[I]Posted at 12:02 PM ET, 10/22/2011

Jarvis Jenkins continues recovery from knee surgery

By Mike Jones

Injured rookie defensive end Jarvis Jenkins continues to make strides in his recovery from a season-ending ACL tear suffered during the preseason.

Jenkins, whom Washington drafted in the second round out of Clemson, suffered the injury in the third preseason game and had surgery the following week. Already, he is walking without a noticeable limp, and earlier this week, defensive coordinator Jim Haslett said Jenkins ran up a flight of stairs.

“He looks great,” Haslett said. “…If you gave Jarvis another month, he’d probably be ready to play. He works hard, he tells me everything he does … He just can’t plant and go side-to-side yet.”

Jenkins was placed on injured reserve, making him ineligible to return this season. He still attends all of his position and unit meetings just as he would if he were playing even though he isn’t required to. Haslett said he believes Jenkins will benefit next season from going the extra mile this season.

“I think he’s gaining just because he’s in the meetings, and he’s participating,” Haslett said. “Last year we had a guy that went on IR and we didn’t see him all year because he went home or whatever. Jarvis, I love the way he prepares to play the game and the way he’s done his rehab.”[/i]

By Mike Jones

Injured rookie defensive end Jarvis Jenkins continues to make strides in his recovery from a season-ending ACL tear suffered during the preseason.

Jenkins, whom Washington drafted in the second round out of Clemson, suffered the injury in the third preseason game and had surgery the following week. Already, he is walking without a noticeable limp, and earlier this week, defensive coordinator Jim Haslett said Jenkins ran up a flight of stairs.

“He looks great,” Haslett said. “…If you gave Jarvis another month, he’d probably be ready to play. He works hard, he tells me everything he does … He just can’t plant and go side-to-side yet.”

Jenkins was placed on injured reserve, making him ineligible to return this season. He still attends all of his position and unit meetings just as he would if he were playing even though he isn’t required to. Haslett said he believes Jenkins will benefit next season from going the extra mile this season.

“I think he’s gaining just because he’s in the meetings, and he’s participating,” Haslett said. “Last year we had a guy that went on IR and we didn’t see him all year because he went home or whatever. Jarvis, I love the way he prepares to play the game and the way he’s done his rehab.”[/i]

I love this!!

2 things:

First, Nield is a NT, they don't get alot of sacks. In fact he is tied for the lead in the NFL for sacks amongst NTs(2.0) with Cofield, Raji and a few others.

Second, he is a rotational player. Cofield is our starter, so the Skins have produced 4.0 sacks from the NT position, more than any team in the league.

To be honest, I wont ever expect much more than a decent to good rotational guy. He was the second to last pick of the draft for a reason. We still need that top flight impact NT (a la BJ Raji) to be a dominant defense.

And who is the "top flight" NT that has made the Steelers 3-4 so "dominant?"

Sorry, nothing personal, just see this sentiment around ES a LOT, and think it's far from the truth. LBs are the guys that make a 3-4 go. A great group of LBs with one top player on the line at end and a space eater that can hold the point of attack usually equals a dominant 3-4 defense.

And who is the "top flight" NT that has made the Steelers 3-4 so "dominant?"

Sorry, nothing personal, just see this sentiment around ES a LOT, and think it's far from the truth. LBs are the guys that make a 3-4 go. A great group of LBs with one top player on the line at end and a space eater that can hold the point of attack usually equals a dominant 3-4 defense.

Raji is so good at NT that he apparently has been moved to DE. People need to stop worrying about our front 7 and start worrying about our secondary, who can't stop giving up big plays

Chris Neild is the freaking man! I hope he's on the D-line for many years. He's already got the power and penetration, he just needs the reps and experience. He's already surpassed any draft value by a mile with his sacks alone. You have to remember this is a kid from college taking on 2-3 NFL level linemen every snap he's out there--this in his first year of competition with a shortened offseason. I'm very enthusiastic about him, and hope that he can become our top flight NT.

Um, 5-time Pro Bowler Casey Hampton?

You mean the Casey Hampton that has 16 tackles and 0 sacks? But if he isn't getting sacks he must be terrible right?

---------- Post added November-22nd-2011 at 10:04 AM ----------

I definitely remember seeing Neild collapse the pocket early in the game on Sunday. And that's great news re: Jarvis Jenkins. We've had the worst injury luck this season.

Bad teams suffer when injuries occur, Good teams over come injuries. Look at Green Bay last year, 15 guys on IR and they win the Super Bowl.

By Mike Jones

Love hearing this. And who was the reference from last year, I'm drawing a blank? The Comb, right?

Archived