Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Whatever happened to Chris Nield?

Burgold

It's no secret that we have major problems with consistency on defense. One result of that is that we get a lot of sacks but don't always generate a lot of pressure.

I'm not saying we can not get better in terms of pass rush but when I look at our defense our front 7 is night and day better than last year. It's the secondary - and corners specifically which have been the weak link this year IMO.

I'd like to point out another popular misconception in this thread - BJ Raji has played DE in the Packers scheme this season. Ryan Pickett is the Green Bay NT. These are the positions they played in 2009. In 2010, Raji was the base NT and Pickett was the base DE.

Additionally, Haloti Ngata has primarily been a DE through out his career, the notable exception being 2008 when Kelly Gregg went on IR after knee surgery and Ngata slide over.

I'm not saying we can not get better in terms of pass rush but when I look at our defense our front 7 is night and day better than last year. It's the secondary - and corners specifically which have been the weak link this year IMO.

I'm not terribly fond of any part of our secondary but if I'm assigning blame it would go like this:

1. Safeties

2. LBs

3. CBs

4. DL

I'd like to point out another popular misconception in this thread - BJ Raji has played DE in the Packers scheme this season. Ryan Pickett is the Green Bay NT. These are the positions they played in 2009. In 2010, Raji was the base NT and Pickett was the base DE.

Additionally, Haloti Ngata has primarily been a DE through out his career, the notable exception being 2008 when Kelly Gregg went on IR after knee surgery and Ngata slide over.

Wilfork has also been shifted over to DE at various points in an attempt to create mismatches in the Patriots' favor. Raji played a lot of DE in 2010 with all the injuries they had, too. They had Howard Green (I never liked that we released him) in at NT latei n the season, IIRC.

I agree with you guys, I think our front 7 is much better than last year, and with Jenkins might have been really special.

If Riley can continue to progress, and we can fix our holes in the secondary, we'll have a very good defense, but I think most of us realize our O is where all the major issues are.

I will say, I liked what I saw from Neild, Riley, and Gomes on Sunday. It's good to see some of the young guys making plays when they get the chance.

I have been under the impression that we are trying to build a Steelers (or Ravens) style 3-4 where the emphasis is on building a deep and talented front 7, with CBs not necessarily being all pro guys.

In order for that to work, you need above average safety play, which we have not gotten.

We also have had consistency issues with parts of the DL and the 2nd ILB. Areas we should continue to address moving forward.

---------- Post added November-22nd-2011 at 04:35 PM ----------

Wilfork has also been shifted over to DE at various points in an attempt to create mismatches in the Patriots' favor. Raji played a lot of DE in 2010 with all the injuries they had, too. They had Howard Green (I never liked that we released him) in at NT latei n the season, IIRC.

It's also important to note that the Packers are in base 3-4 like a third of the time. Been playing a lot of 2 DL sets with a nickle back, in which Raji and Pickett have 4-3-DT-like responsibilities.

And obviously the Pats have been showing a variety of hybrid looks.

Really, the most "straight up" 3-4s today are the 49ers and Steelers.

The reason that Haynesworth was willing to go to NE is because they run more of a hybrid 3-4 than we do and allow their linemen to get up the field. It didn't work because Haynesworth is a disaster, but it was an okay idea in theory.

It's really basically about assignments for linemen. Ngata in Baltimore and Aaron Smith in Pittsburgh play the same position in the 3-4 but have different responsibilities. Haslett uses a 3-4 closer to Lebeau's than Rex Ryan's.

For lack of better description, linemen in our defense are expeceted to create a pile and then move it - either in the way of a runner or out of the way of a rusher. A perfect game by Haslett would be one where every single tackle is made by an unblocked linebacker.

Archived