Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Whatever happened to Chris Nield?

Burgold

And who is the "top flight" NT that has made the Steelers 3-4 so "dominant?"

Borderline Hall of Famer Casey Hampton.

He's declined this year and suddenly teams can run on them.

I've never figured out if Casey Hampton has the worst job in football or the best job in football. His goal on every play is basically to pick up the guard and center and push them six inches in the direction of the running back. That's all he has to do and he has to do 35 times a game.

I actually know a guy in Houston who is buddies with Casey Hampton. Apparently, he likes to spend his off-seasons at Morton's, where he eats 3 or 4 steak sandwiches in a sitting.

Here is a Wikipedia summary of his career:

5× Pro Bowl selection (2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009)

2× Super Bowl champion (XL, XLIII)

Co-Pittsburgh Steelers Team MVP (2005)

Pittsburgh Steelers All-Time Team

That last one is pretty impressive considering it's for the 33 best players in that team's history - which is a pretty good history.

I found it concerning we had so much problems getting to Romo sits to pee though. We need to be able to get through lines better and quicker.

I don't know, 4 sacks is pretty solid. I think the problem (and a big reason Orakpo has struggled getting NFC East sacks) is Romo sits to pee's elusiveness. Sacks on him seem to occur when the whole pocket collapses, not just one guy getting around the edge.

Great tackle/sack by Fletcher... Has will be showing that in the meetings saying "see kids, this is how it's done".

---------- Post added November-22nd-2011 at 09:54 AM ----------

By the way' date=' I would like to pass a rule that the only people who can call anyone "Kid" are 80 year olds and Harrison Ford.[/quote']

Nope. If they're significantly younger than me AND new to the league, then they're a kid.

We've lost our youth kid, at least let us have this one little thing. ;)

I don't know, 4 sacks is pretty solid. I think the problem (and a big reason Orakpo has struggled getting NFC East sacks) is Romo sits to pee's elusiveness. Sacks on him seem to occur when the whole pocket collapses, not just one guy getting around the edge.

Great tackle/sack by Fletcher... Has will be showing that in the meetings saying "see kids, this is how it's done".

---------- Post added November-22nd-2011 at 09:54 AM ----------

Nope. If they're significantly younger than me AND new to the league, then they're a kid.

We've lost our youth kid, at least let us have this one little thing. ;)

Ok so we are the Top team in the NFL with 31 sacks (tied with NYG and MIN) that is an average of 3.1 sacks per game. So 4 sacks is pretty good. The NFL record is 72 by the '85 bears and they averaged 4.5/game. So i say we got to him pretty decently.

Bad teams suffer when injuries occur, Good teams over come injuries. Look at Green Bay last year, 15 guys on IR and they win the Super Bowl.

Then look at a team like Indianapolis, one injury and they are suddenly the worst team in the league (after being a regular SB contender year in and year out).

I'm not saying that we were a good team to begin with but injuries to our key starters have put us further in the hole.

Then look at a team like Indianapolis, one injury and they are suddenly the worst team in the league (after being a regular SB contender year in and year out).

I'm not saying that we were a good team to begin with but injuries to our key starters have put us further in the hole.

True. But I think those key injuries have made very clear that we just aren't a good team yet. I also think that they have helped us to see where we most need to improve.

2 things:

First, Nield is a NT, they don't get alot of sacks. In fact he is tied for the lead in the NFL for sacks amongst NTs(2.0) with Cofield, Raji and a few others.

Second, he is a rotational player. Cofield is our starter, so the Skins have produced 4.0 sacks from the NT position, more than any team in the league.

Think about something else for a moment. Nield's a rookie, Kerrigan's a rookie. Add in several new vets and the team will need time to gel. That our pass rush is this good says something. Now, we need a CB and a future replacement ILB for Fletcher, but it's hardly a disaster.

With the exception of giving up too many long running plays, I think our D has been pretty good this year. Need more depth, obviously, and need to keep the Safeties on the field, but the D is not this team's problem.

If you were told on draft day that the 7th rounder Neild would be the primary backup at NT (playing, what, 15-20 snaps a game?), and would already have 3 sacks and show some definite push on passing plays, and hold his own taking on the double-teams on most running plays, wouldn't you have been ecstatic?

To be honest, I wont ever expect much more than a decent to good rotational guy. He was the second to last pick of the draft for a reason. We still need that top flight impact NT (a la BJ Raji) to be a dominant defense.

Sorry, but Vince Wilfork is arguable one of the best NT's in the game and the Patriots defense isn't "dominant". Packers defensive success is more attributed to Clay Matthews and Charles Woodson.

Um, 5-time Pro Bowler Casey Hampton?

My point exactly. Casey Hampton has benn a solid space eater for his career, but I would never call him dominant. He has benefitted from being the guy on a great defense, hence his pro bowl selections. Not to mention that the Steelers fan base always stuffs the ballots. 11 years in the league averaging about 13 tackles a year and less than one sack a year. Oh yeah, and has caused a whopping 4 fumbles in his career.

Don't get me wrong, he's a solid player, but by NO means makes that defense. And to call him borderline Hall of Famer is ridiculous in my opinion.

My point exactly. Casey Hampton has benn a solid space eater for his career, but I would never call him dominant. He has benefitted from being the guy on a great defense, hence his pro bowl selections. Not to mention that the Steelers fan base always stuffs the ballots. 11 years in the league averaging about 13 tackles a year and less than one sack a year. Oh yeah, and has caused a whopping 4 fumbles in his career.

Don't get me wrong, he's a solid player, but by NO means makes that defense. And to call him borderline Hall of Famer is ridiculous in my opinion.

Achievement.aspx?text=Football%20Ignorance

My point exactly. Casey Hampton has benn a solid space eater for his career, but I would never call him dominant.

He's been the #1 run stuffer on the #1 run-stuffing D for the past decade.

I think the fundamental problem with this discussion is that you don't understand how the 3-4 works. It's not Casey Hampton's job to make tackles.

There was actually an interesting segment on the NFL Network last week with one of the Steelers' defensive ends. They broke down a play where he was basically unblocked and had a clear path to Andy Dalton. On that play, he turned and hit the guard who was looking for a blitzer. This allowed two linebackers to come unblocked through the hole that he abandoned. One of the reasons Haynesworth could not make it work here is because he was never going to be able to chase down QBs and RBs. If we did, it would have been bad.

Casey Hampton is basically an offensive lineman on the opposite side of the ball, except he blocks two people on every play.

Think of it this way. Every running play starts 9 on 11 because the QB and ball carrier is not blocking anyone. The offense needs to block 11 people with 9 guys. A gret nose tackle like Hampton takes out two of those blockers - making it 7 versus 10.

I found it concerning we had so much problems getting to Romo sits to pee though. We need to be able to get through lines better and quicker.

We had 4 sacks on Sunday and numerous pressures. We rank equal 2nd in the NFL in sack total on the season to date. What are looking for, the 85 Bears?

---------- Post added November-22nd-2011 at 04:56 PM ----------

Sure. He's old now. I'd just kick his cane and he'd go down like the Berlin Wall.

Sooner you than me :-)

You aren't kidding, Tris. The only way someone could possibly come to the conclusion LnL did is by looking up a Hampton's stats without having every truly watched him play :doh:

Why would you ever need to watch someone play when you can just look up stats?

I would be curious to hear who an elite NT is if not Casey Hampton.

Sorry, but Vince Wilfork is arguable one of the best NT's in the game and the Patriots defense isn't "dominant". Packers defensive success is more attributed to Clay Matthews and Charles Woodson.

A. The Packers defense is not very good.

B. I tend to think that the most over-rated position in football is a 3-4 OLB. Any decent OLB in a 3-4 should get 8 to 10 sacks a year. I tend to judge them based on how well they seal the edge and I don't think Clay Matthews is particularly good at that. If I could pick on 3-4 OLB in football, it would be Lamar Woodley, because it's next to impossible to run wide on him (and he's still a double digit sack guy).

Archived