Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Hall says Redskins should cut him following loss to Cowboys

IrepDC

If it is Jim Haslett putting him 10 yards off the ball like that, I would suggest Hall just outright disobey coach and go shove Dez a couple times for crying out loud.

I agree, it's an 'easy call' that he won't stop the 3rd and long, but not because I think he's some bum. Rather because you can just see it. There is not one single player on the planet whos going to stick to Dez Bryant or really any other receiver for 7 seconds without holding on to them. Dez was running routes like he was in practice, for ****S SAKE disrupt their offense/timing/routes a little, god damn.

As 'noble' as DHall sounds with his comment, I don't like it. It's just a stupid, unprofessional thing to say.

Not really interested in either of those options. I want to foster an environment of competition and growth... No sacred cows. If Laron had a track record that suggested he had earned franchise player status, I'd be OK with it, but six years into his career we still talk about him more in terms of potential than production. Time to move on.

We franchised 'Los. Granted, he had played solid-ish for us, but Landry's played solid-ish for us too. You lock up Landry for a season, thanks to Eric Weddle he can't really complain too much about the pay he'd be getting, and you give him one more chance. Unless Gomes plays really well at safety while Landry's out or something. As far as I can tell, there's not a great class of safeties coming out in the draft. Even in the name of rebuilding, do you open yet another hole by letting Landry going? (I'm not trying to sound like a Landry homer or anything, he hasn't made the same kind of plays he did a season ago).

Also, if you franchise Landry and he decides to be a douche and sit out camp or something, you can turn it around and flip him for a draft pick, either in this years draft or next years draft. If Gomes beats him out and camp and there's a team that needs a safety, you can still trade him.

As for D-Hall, still thinks if he's willing to restructure then he's worth keeping. Then you can have him with the same deal; either perform, or you're gone, unless you believe Barnes and Thompson or maybe Phillip Buchanon can step into that role. For all intents and purposes, if we go QB in the draft, we're not going to be able to get an elite corner.

Hall is a good player. You get good plays and you get bad plays. He certainly is not the worst cb in the league but the Skins used to have an excellent cover corner in Rogers who would mask some of his inability and now that he is constantly covering the teams best receiver its a mis-match.

He won't be cut because the Skins don't have anyone behind him that's any better, but the Skins need a top cover corner so he can roam around and make plays in zone coverage.

...Does anyone else realize that he had good coverage on Dez initially on the slat, and then Romo sits to pee rolled out of the pocket and Dez flowed with him. D-Hall tripped. It happens.

We constantly sit on our high horse and talk about how we want people who care about our football team and care about winning and losing. With D-Hall, it's "EFF D-HALL, HE'S A CANCER, HE'S A POISON, HE'S GOT A BIG MOUTH, HE ALWAYS GIVES UP BIG PLAYS!" blah blah blah blah blah.

The guy just said he should get cut, acknowledged he gets overpaid, took full responsibility for the loss even though it wasn't really his fault, and basically bared his soul for the media and the fanbase...and we talk about what a cancer and a jerk he is.

This, once again, is why we can't have nice things.

What are you talking about. He fell down because he turned his back to the receiver, he does it all the time and gets himself out of position. He is not a good CB and he runs his mouth way too much for how he plays. He is cancer and a jerk, who isn't as good as he thinks he is. Just because he chose today to acknowledge it does it change the fact. If they could cut him today the Redskins should do it.

Wow, people here are incredibly harsh, Dhall is what he is, he is a ball hawk who likes to play loose on his man, there are worse corners than him, and there are better corners than him. That 3rd and 15 was more (ironically) due to lack of pressure, Romo sits to pee had all day to throw and even Revis, Aso, or Champ would eventually falter when dealing with dez bryant for more than 5 seconds. I am not in love with DHall and am pretty dissapointed with his play thus far but you guys overblow the trash talking WAY too much. Now Landry I love, he is a true game changer and I can't see why there are multiple crusades for our star player's heads because they aren't perfect. Of course im talking about Orakpo, Landry, and Hall since they all seem to have a agenda against them, and Rak and Landry don't deserve it. Just think back and remember how much DHall can change games, I would restructure his contract and put him as a number 2 or as depth or something.

Again, I must ask, since the Dallas game, when the hell has DeAngelo Hall said? Did he say anything this week? The previous weeks? Am I missing something?
Well, apparently you are missing when Hall is on the field running his mouth in one breath and in the next he is getting toasted. Why is he down there jawing at the guy who is torching him? Why is he down there going back and fourth with a offensive lineman every week? Even if Hall believes that he had a bad game or that he is playing bad in general, keep it to yourself and try to play better. But Hall is a attention whore. It's all about Hall. Period.

Everyone is going to have different opinions on this, and obviously you are defending Hall. But, the bottomline is that you never see this type of thing happening with players like Fletcher, Orakpo or Kerrigan.

I just think Hall should shut up and play football.

What are you talking about. He fell down because he turned his back to the receiver, he does it all the time and gets himself out of position.

It was a speed turn. Many DBs use the technique to defend post corners. I believe he fell because Bryant broke the route off flat instead of going to the corner.

Ever since he was in Atlanta I watched Hall get burned repeatedly on 3rd downs and in big moments in a game. He is a zone corner, and an average one at that. Lots of people talk about his big play ability. It has been 10 games and Hall has 1 interception, 1 fumble forced. I can count two plays we can easily remember in which he basically lost the game by getting burned on 3rd down by Dez Bryant.

The guy is a zone corner, he isn't physical, and his big attraction used to be his speed which isn't where it once was. Often when a corner lacks interceptions people pretend like they have such low numbers because QB's are afraid of throwing at them. That isn't the case with Hall, he allows passes to be completed in front of him all day long without doing anything about it. I hear about how oh he's always breaking on the ball, etc. Really? I haven't seen him do that this year or all the much since he got here.

If I ran the team I would have cut or traded him in the offseason. I know that our other CB's aren't special but I honestly don't think it would be 500 times worse if we had Barnes starting.

It was a speed turn. Many DBs use the technique to defend post corners. I believe he fell because Bryant broke the route off flat instead of going to the corner.

That's what I see. Redskins show cover 0, but bailed out of it. D-Hall's over top of of Dez, OJ Atogwe's underneath him on the slant (probably a hot route given the look we were showing), and Dez is covered. Pass rush misses Romo sits to pee, Romo sits to pee scrambles left, Dez breaks off his route, D-Hall tries to recovers and trips. First down.

Hall may not be forcing many this year, but he has that same playing style as all of those guys. He jumps routes, he goes to strip the ball, he has that killer instinct. That's the only way you're going to win as a DB in this pass happy rules league. I'm not ready to give up on Hall.

The reason Hall has had a down year in the eyes of fans is because he hasn't been jumping routes. His so-called killer instinct has been somewhat muted and without it he is a very mediocre player.

If it is Jim Haslett putting him 10 yards off the ball like that, I would suggest Hall just outright disobey coach and go shove Dez a couple times for crying out loud.

That is a terrible suggestion unless you want to see Hall absolutely torched by Bryant.

Initially I was prepared to argue with you guys on the fact that "he's old and we need to get younger" I know Hall's been around for a while, but I know he came into the league relatively young. That being said,he just turned 28....the problem with Hall isn't his mouth...it's just the fact that he can't play in man coverage. He's great in zone coverage, because he's really aggressive. We knew all that when we signed him. I would suggest we restructure his contract like someone mention, but now I'm wondering if we could trade him for something next year; it'd be worth it for a 3rd. Personally I think we did the right thing getting rid of Carlos Rogers, but isn't it funny that he's got 5 ints this year after years of dropping 6-7 a year?

What do most of the best defenses in the league have in common? They rarely pay a lot of money for corners (Revis being the exception). The Steelers and Ravens never have shut down corners. What those top defenses do always have is studs up the middle (DT/NG, MLB and FS). Not sure what any of that has to with this thread, other than Hall being a very highly paid cornerback, but it seemed somewhat relevant,

Why? We need to know why. On third and long especially, this defense has sucked. We need to know why. Hall isn't the cause, he's just a symptom of it.

Individual talent. The secondary doesn't make big plays. Blame everyone but the players. At the end of the day, the talent isn't there. That's the cause, symptom, and disease.

We get torn up on third and long because the defense doesn't create the same pressure on 3 and long as it does in the first two downs or on third and short. I couldn't tell you why that was. After all, we're giving up the fewest first downs in the NFC. Maybe the blitz come slower, maybe teams max protect on those downs and force us to cover for longer.

It's just weird.

Dhall may be playing poorly but does not need to be cut. I would not consider the 3rd and 15 today his fault entirely. Orakpo tried his speed rush and took himself out of the play, also breaking contain (He does this regularly) He allowed Tony Romo sits to pee to step up to the space he vacated, giving him, time and made the throw an easy one. Ask any corner to defend an NFL receiver that long and they will all get beat, enless its Revis. If you look at the Robinson touchdown its the same thing. Orakpo takes himself out of the play, Romo sits to pee rolls to his left and finds Robinson in the endzone.

Hall is a good player. You get good plays and you get bad plays. He certainly is not the worst cb in the league but the Skins used to have an excellent cover corner in Rogers who would mask some of his inability and now that he is constantly covering the teams best receiver its a mis-match.

He won't be cut because the Skins don't have anyone behind him that's any better, but the Skins need a top cover corner so he can roam around and make plays in zone coverage.

Bingo ILL. I actually though Hall had an ok game today. Stupid of Haslett to ask him to cover Dez on that last play 1 on 1.

So you would all rather have Westbrooke playing instead?

This thread wouldn't be bad at all if most of the same exact people here wouldn't be praising his name on his next 4 INT game.

And let me get this straight, a lot of you are pissed that Hall was talking **** to the COWBOYS!? How many of you talk **** to/about the Cowboys? Do you not think that his **** talking was punished badly enough by not backing it up in front of a live crowd and TV audience?

I have a hard time dealing with Hall's inconsistencies, but i have a much harder time dealing with Redskins fans inconsistencies.

I don't hate Hall, and I don't necessarily think he should be cut, but he really needs to step up his play for the rest of the season. I applaud him for being critical of his own performance today. I wish he'd use this as a lesson and start concentrating more on his play than his trash talking. I wonder if guys like Fletcher or Orakpo have ever said anything to him about it.

As for the comments about him being a "cancer" in the locker room, can anyone provide examples of his bad behavior behind the scenes? Because I'm not sure I've ever heard anything about it other than heresay.

Don't cut him. I respect him for thinking honest about his performance, wish others would step forward and speak how they feel about their performance. He had numerous good plays/coverage, but most people refuse to look at the game savers he's made in his career, and point out the errors he has made. Hall isn't the source of the problem, it's everywhere on this team.

Bingo ILL. I actually though Hall had an ok game today. Stupid of Haslett to ask him to cover Dez on that last play 1 on 1.

+1

We get torn up on third and long because the defense doesn't create the same pressure on 3 and long as it does in the first two downs or on third and short.

I was thinking about this today, our defense is nasty on 1st and 2nd down then pretty much goes into a protect scheme on 3rd down and we give up long plays, I am not sure if this is a Haslett issue or not but as DC it needs to be addressed, we dont have the personel to play without a pass rush, if Haslett could find his sack again after the cover zero in the first dallas game we would be in a better position.

We obviously need to get more talent in the secondary and on the Dline but Hall is a Redskin and should be here at least until his contract ends, at least he plays with emotion and wants to be here for the rebuilding, he just needs time to cool off.

Archived