Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heartbreaker today will make April much sweeter

SkinsHokieFan

The two best quarterbacks in the NFL right now were not drafted in the top 10, top 15, or top 20. You made a list of great QBs who got picked in the top 3, but someone could easily make a list of guys who weren't who have had great success in the league. We're not getting Luck, and in my eyes there is no clear next best between Barkley, RG3, and Jones. There aren't a lot of teams that are looking for franchise signal callers. I really don't think the difference of 4-12 and 3-13 would be the difference in us not getting "our guy". It probably would have moved us one pick, but that might be to the Panthers or Vikings who aren't looking for QBs. I agree the premium on Dallas games sometimes gets to be ridiculous, but it's always an important game because it's in the division. So what if neither team is relevant? The game is ALWAYS relevant because we can either help our playoff hopes, hurt theirs, or if we both suck, then we're still beating a rival. Every division game can matter. I can understand apathy, but happiness about a loss to Dallas? GTFO

Don't worry, Panthers aren't going QB, Vikings probably aren't. That's the key.

Put yourselves in their shoes. If Barkey lets say or Griffin is hyped as the 2nd best player in the draft, why not trade the pick? wouldn't you lets say force the Redskins and dolphins to bit against each other? Teams trade up, especially for Qbs, it will be even easier now to get teams to trade thanks to the new rookie wage scale.

Also i don't know where this preconceived notion that having a higher pick is a lock for getting great players if your scouting department does their job correctly you should be able to draft solid guys throughout the entire draft.

We don't do that we traded back 100 times this last draft and passed on many players who could have helped us. Like taking Roy Helu over Demarco Murray i was screaming for murray in the 3rd round. I did like some of shannys moves like trading out of 10 was cool because gabbert was hyped up way to much anyone can sling the ball around in the spread

So by being at 10, we were able to trade down to 16 because Jacksonville isn't as smart as you are (no joke, too many fell for Gabbert's BS), which let us get Kerrigan and Jenkins, as opposed to just Kerrigan. It also let us trade our other second for more picks, and more picks, which netted us Hankerson, Paul, Helu, and Neild.

Amazing what draft position can do. :)

you people in this thread are smoking crack.

lose for a higher draft pick is pathetic. youre all hung up on a top 3 pick like its gonna be the magic fix... newsflash, its not. This team needs quality o-o-o-linemen, and in quantity... that is all.

Are the better linemen usually in the top of a round or bottom? Is it easier to get multiple picks by having a lower pick or a higher one? Are better players usually picked higher or lower? Can one win significantly change your draft position affecting all of the aforementioned?

so draft position doesnt matter to you? you dont want access to the best talent coming out of college for a team in 100% complete rebuild mode? youd rather have us win 6-7 games, draft at #12 and miss out on potential franchise changing players? look at the lions. they scored 49 points today. they have stafford, megatron, and suh. all were picks #1, #2, and #2. they got these franchise changing players by sucking. badly.

ill take sucking badly to get players like that.

As posted I dont like losing. Not like this. Not a season like this. Not be happy and looking forward to having our team lose Sunday after Sunday. For the sake of a draft? Ryan Leaf comes to mind. Same with Akili Smith. Hell look at Chris Samuels at our second pick. Then Arrington with the third. They were decent players but it diidnt make basic difference did it? Yeah Cam seems to be an exeption for now give you that man. Be cool to get either Barkley or Griffen If he comes out. Hell how about our offensive line? Shore that up man , put total emphasis on that like we've done on defense these past seasons.

You wont hear the players say this in mixed company. Suck for the draft? Naw not feeling that.

Hey, I got emotionally invested in this game also when it looked like we had a chance to win it.

The sugar rush of winning today would have been fun. Cowboy fans quiet, the Redskins at 4-5, a win over those bums.

But, and you'll realize this in April, its better this way today. Getting that number 2 overall pick is the most important thing this franchise can do.

The team is playing hard, not giving up, keeps fighting. Right now the best is not good enough because of a lack of talent.

We need a high draft pick. We need a franchise changer. Winning today may have cost us that

HTTR

lose for a higher draft pick is pathetic. youre all hung up on a top 3 pick like its gonna be the magic fix... newsflash, its not. This team needs quality o-o-o-linemen, and in quantity... that is all.

You either get a potentially great player with your pick or some idiot(like Atlanta) offers you everything plus the kitchen sink in picks for your high pick.

A high pick in every round that turns into a good QB and a bunch of Olinemen??

Yeah, that's just awful...........

I'll stop with this:

I think that you put it brilliantly: "Football fans want their teams to do well, not to lose." I want our team to do well. For a long time. Not for a game that won't mean squat to anyone in the long run. Quick, without looking, who won our first meeting against Dallas in 1995? 1996? 1975? Oh, you can't name it? Because it doesn't matter. Getting a higher draft pick gets you a better player more than a lower draft pick. Better players get you more wins. That's all that matters in the long run.

And ill stop here the team really sucks already its more then likely we will be seeing a top 3 pick at this rate but rooting for loses to move from the 3rd to 2nd pick is rubbish. If your team sucks they suck they will get the draft pick they earned there is absolutely no need to be happy about a loss even if it will help in the draft. Like we suck a win would be nice especially against the media's wife the Dallas Cowboys

"yeah, rex and beck just need more time. bring back the hogs!"

- drunk redskins fan circa 1987

How is a higher pick going to derail that?

Because of the rule. What rule? You know, the rule where beating Dallas will make the future better for us.

---------- Post added November-20th-2011 at 05:54 PM ----------

You guys who think that april is gonna be So sweet... I mean what the hell are you expecting ? A miracle ?

Picking 5 th or whatever isn't gonna suddenly make this a good team.

I wish wed have won today.

Question: Does having a higher draft pick help us more in the future than a lower one? Is it worth Leaf as opposed to Manning?

You guys who think that april is gonna be So sweet... I mean what the hell are you expecting ? A miracle ?

You really just don't understand how bare the cupboard is, especially on offense, do you?

yeah, getting a potential franchise changing QB wont help anything. or adding some good olineman wont either. or drafting or signing a big WR wont help at all.

getting a franchise QB WILL suddenly fix a lot of this teams problems.

I've seen too many times where the Skins win a few games towards the end of the season to put themselves out of position for a game changing franchise QB. This has to be the year they go out and get one or nothing will change. If it means losing out even to the Cowboys? So be it. I don't want short term success that really is meaningless in the grand scheme of things that sacrifices the chance at changing this culture of losing into a winning one.

Seriously...it's such a crappy situation for all of us fans...we want to win every game, none of us ever REALLY want to lose,but at the same time, we can get a top quarterback that we desperately need if we lose out...I couldn't even cheer today because I couldn't decide what root for...us beating Dallas and hurting our chances of getting a qb for the long run, or beating the s*** out of a team I absolutely hate.it sucks cuz we all want to see this team dominate...but sadly...I really think losing and getting a top 3 being Barkley or RG 3 is the best rout...but man, watching a loss like today still sucks

So by being at 10, we were able to trade down to 16 because Jacksonville isn't as smart as you are (no joke, too many fell for Gabbert's BS), which let us get Kerrigan and Jenkins, as opposed to just Kerrigan. It also let us trade our other second for more picks, and more picks, which netted us Hankerson, Paul, Helu, and Neild.

Amazing what draft position can do. :)

You sir are now on the list of few redskins fans that opinions mean anything to me i agree with you on almost everything but rooting for the loss im 20 years old and all i know is losing and all i want is winning. The idea of me being ok with a loss is sickening i want us to win every ****ing game but we have about 7-8 real pro athletes on our squad so its a given that we will be god awful im still not ok with it though.

Seriously. Honestly. Wholeheartedly. Absolutely.

This time next year I'll be back to wanting Dallas blood. But in this extra special draft year, the Redskins and their future are FAR bigger than that.

Hail.

With that said......Rick Mirer was drafted 2nd overall. With our luck we get another Shuler, Leaf, or Mirer. :doh:

Because of the rule. What rule? You know, the rule where beating Dallas will make the future better for us.

---------- Post added November-20th-2011 at 05:54 PM ----------

Question: Does having a higher draft pick help us more in the future than a lower one? Is it worth Leaf as opposed to Manning?

Yeah. I guess we've been there and done that with the franchise Qb thing? I guess we are crazy to beat that drum? even Vinny for all his wisdom in an interview this year said what did him in and does most people in is you need a big time Qb to win in this league, he didn't pull it off and that's why he said he's on the radio now. Now we know there are multiple reasons for why Vinny was canned but still interesting to hear it from him.

Do we need other players? of course. but its not rocket science to realize that the hardest position to find is a franchise QB versus lets say a top rate O lineman. And yeah we can do both. It's not one and done in the draft.

Seriously. Honestly. Wholeheartedly. Absolutely.

This time next year I'll be back to wanting Dallas blood. But in this extra special draft year, the Redskins and their future are FAR bigger than that.

Hail.

Why? We're not winning the Super Bowl next year. Wouldn't it make sense to root for 0-16 next year and get even more picks? The lose for better picks logic would still seem to apply.

Archived