Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heartbreaker today will make April much sweeter

SkinsHokieFan

If you could guarantee that a top draft picked QB is destined to be great, I understand the logic in this thread. But the league has shown that the great QBs come from various positions in the draft.

What position was Rodgers drafted in? Did the packers have to suck to get a great QB? Brees? Brady? Big Ben was out of the top 5? You're telling me the chances of finding the franchise guy increases THAT dramatically by moving from the 8th-10th pick to the 2nd/3rd that it justifies stooping to the level of wanting to lose. Sorry but that just isn't in my DNA

Its a rivalry blown out of proportion Dallas owns the skins. I hate the vagiants worse but having to listen to the announcers <edited to comply with rules--member gets 2 week B2A ban> sucks. The main thing that I saw today was Desuckalo "flaming toast" Hall get burned again. If the skins win another game this year I will be shocked

I can't believe I'm getting on the Suck for Luck, Mail it in for Matt bandwagon, but I admit that that is where my heart is right now for better or for worse. When we lined up for the 52 yarder I said to myself "don't worry, he'll miss and this game won't hurt our draft position." It's sad because that line of thought is typical of a loser franchise, and shouldn't be typical of my Redskins. Sigh...

It would be one thing if we felt that way every year.

This year's crop of QB talent is just spectacular, and that is clearly the biggest long-term hole on this team.

With the way the NFL is run right now, Redskin fans want that sexy QB we can call our own. Sadly we really have never had a guy like that (debatable, I know), but really that's all I want. The wins will come with him.

December 2005, that's all I'll say on that.

Anyway, we better lose out and go 3-13. Going to be funny if we stumble into 6-10 or 5-11.

A (one) of many wins we needed at the end of the season to put us in a wild card spot to make the playoffs six years ago? Yeah it's meaningful to win that game to continue the win streak but its no defining win to make this rivalry something to craze over for me.

I won't lose any sleep over this. It's all about getting ourselves into prime position to pick the best possible player to quarterback this team for the future.

If you could guarantee that a top draft picked QB is destined to be great, I understand the logic in this thread. But the league has shown that the great QBs come from various positions in the draft.

What position was Rodgers drafted in? Did the packers have to suck to get a great QB? Brees? Brady? Big Ben was out of the top 5? You're telling me the chances of finding the franchise guy increases THAT dramatically by moving from the 8th-10th pick to the 2nd/3rd that it justifies stooping to the level of wanting to lose. Sorry but that just isn't in my DNA

No no no. All I want is the Redskins to be in a position to get the guy they want. If they see someone who might fall to late 1st round, at least we can trade down and get picks. But if the guy they want is going to go in the top 3 picks, I want us to be able to not sell the farm to get him.

I completely agree that great QB can come from all spots in the draft, but I just want us to be in a place where we have as many options as possible. With the 2nd pick we have every single option one could want (minus luck, but with 2nd we have the most firepower to get him if we so choose), so that's what I want.

---------- Post added November-20th-2011 at 05:24 PM ----------

Same hear. Suck for Luck Barkley crap I'm not feeling it. This losing is unbearable and obscene.

The night is darkest just before the dawn.

In this league you have to reallly suck to get a great QB (barring a huge slide by Rodgers, a breakout by Brees, or a total fluke by Brady). It is simply our turn to do just that.

i never WANT to lose, but i expect us to, so i dont feel bad when we do.

I am honestly pissed right now, as I said, I DVR'd it and just concluded 10-15 minutes ago. I'll be much better by tonight, whereas years ago, A loss would have stung until at least Wednesday and a loss to Dallas would have hurt for weeks as Cowboy fan friends would have rubbed it in. They don't even do that anymore as they know I'm pretty much apathetic now, but yeah, it hurts right now.

When we were down 10-0 and it looked like Dallas recovered a fumble and they were about to go up 17-0 I was ready to mail it in right there, but as the breaks started to happen, and Rex started playing like a QB, I started feeling the win inside me. I just wish we didn't have to lose in heartbreaking fashion, however it's nice to see that our offense can be motivated to play despite falling behind early and not being very strong personel-wise. This tells me our coaching staff could do some nice things with better players. In the end, the fan in you feels the instinct to cheer on a win.

Are people aware that it's possible to get a better QB going 4-12 than going 3-13? Someone mentioned it earlier, but rooting for your team to lose is bad karma. You could see how badly the players wanted it today and being happy about this is stupid as ****. Look where Aaron Rodgers was picked in the draft. Having a top 3 pick helps, but it is by no means necessary to get a franchise QB. Also, most of the teams were competing with for a top pick have already invested in a young QB (Panthers, Vikings etc.), so if we are gonna take a QB, I don't think we're gonna have a problem. I really don't care if we win another game, but today would have shut everyone up and show that the Cowboys are just getting overhyped again AND we could done solid damage to their playoff chances. I couldn't stand listening to "Moose" today, but he mentioned his experience on the 1-15 Cowboys and how much beating the Redskins that year meant. If you wanna look at this methodically as some sort of blessing in disguise, then you also have to account for the frustration and decrease in morale that will come as a result of this loss. I don't want this new group of young players to get accustomed to losing to the Cowboys. The minor effect in draft position is not worth the pain of this loss. Period. I am sick of our Superbowl coming in April every year.

put it this way, dallas can beat us twice every year as long as we're going 14-2.

this whole dallas thing clouds a lot of skins fans judgement, its truly sad. as if beating them is somehow more important the overall team itself. "i dont care if we go 2-14 as long as we beat dallas!!" does anybody realize how stupid that is?

winning is whats important. winning against one other team is nowhere near as important. is it nice when we stick it to them? of course. im sure this rivalry will pick back up when both teams get much better but since they won their last superbowl its been two overall mediocre or below average teams playing games sans a few games.

personally i hate the eagles a lot more, but thats me.

:jerk:

Uh-huh. Questioning someone's fanhood because we get a better draft position as opposed to a meaningless win that only hurts us.

You keep on trucking.

So its ok for us to root for the team to lose pretty much not giving the team any effort but when a player doesn't give it his all we persecute them that sounds logical and fair.

if you are honestly rooting for us to lose go root for a winning team. You don't need a top 4 pick in the draft to get a great qb most of the recent ones have come picks 10-20 and there have been a ton of qbs taken early that were hyped up and ended up being busts. Russell Young Leinart to name a few

Being in the top 5 draft range gives us a bigger selection of players to pick from. You are right, just because a player is picked top 5 doesn't mean he will be great. Not to mention we will be there at 35 or whatever when 1st round picks start slipping to the 2nd round and so on. It's just a better luxary to have.

This is what's wrong with our fanbase.

No, what's wrong with much of this young fan base is that they don't feel the pain when we lose to Dallas and they don't understand the exhilaration when we beat them. I understand that this win gets us closer to selecting one of these young guns in April, but we just lost in OT to Dallas. It's sad when you realize how far this franchise has fallen when fans are chastised for being angry at a Skins lose to Dallas. :(

We could have still gotten a franchise QB with a 4-12 record...., but with that said maybe RG3 is ours.

I understand that this loss helps our draft position...but if a Dallas loss doesn't sting then check your ****ing fandom at the ****ing door.

Oh and **** the Cowboys.

Consider mine checked the **** out then. After the last 5 losses there is nothing left to sting. It's groundhog day...AGAIN....going on 2 decades now (for me) and judging by your age for you too. Ill take this crappy season like I have all the rest except I know this time we will get a top qb

put it this way, dallas can beat us twice every year as long as we're going 14-2.

this whole dallas thing clouds a lot of skins fans judgement, its truly sad. as if beating them is somehow more important the overall team itself. "i dont care if we go 2-14 as long as we beat dallas!!" does anybody realize how stupid that is?

winning is whats important. winning against one other team is nowhere near as important. is it nice when we stick it to them? of course. im sure this rivalry will pick back up when both teams get much better but since they won their last superbowl its been two overall mediocre or below average teams playing games sans a few games.

excellent post and I couldn't agree anymore.....I also dislike the eagles more then the Cowboys..but I don't understand peoples logic as to "lets just beat Dallas" ...really splitting with them is fine with me....lets face it...this isn't much of a rivalry game as we'd like to believe it is...I mean Troy Aikman and Joe Buck were calling the GB vs. Bucs game...wow that's proof enough

If we're speaking in generalities, sure. But we aren't. We're talking about draft position in the 2011 draft. THIS year, in THIS specific draft, there are QB options that won't be available where Rodgers, Brees, or Brady was drafted. Its shaping up to be an incredible class.

Not to mention you need to have a franchise capable of developing and molding these great college QBs into great NFL ones and I am not confident that the skins do at this point. At least not enough to be comfortable losing games and gaining better draft position. Because I rank the likelihood of still sucking after drafting a top QB has a higher probability than this franchise of recent years finally getting its head out of its rear. I hate losing and will hate it now just as much as I will hate it later.

Consider mine checked the **** out then. After the last 5 losses there is nothing left to sting. It's groundhog day...AGAIN....going on 2 decades now (for me) and judging by your age for you too. Ill take this crappy season like I have all the rest except I know this time we will get a top qb

4-12 is still failure and would still get a franchise QB. Sorry...the loss to the Cows is fresh and still stings.

So its ok for us to root for the team to lose pretty much not giving the team any effort but when a player doesn't give it his all we persecute them that sounds logical and fair.

if you are honestly rooting for us to lose go root for a winning team. You don't need a top 4 pick in the draft to get a great qb most of the recent ones have come picks 10-20 and there have been a ton of qbs taken early that were hyped up and ended up being busts. Russell Young Leinart to name a few

so in a lost season where we clearly cannot win, you do not want a rebuilding team to have access to the most possible talent in next years draft? at this stage of this teams rebuilding, wins are less important than the infusion of talent. and while you are correct that plenty of high QBs bust, there are TONS of them that succeed.

id like one, i know plenty of redskins fan delude themselves into thinking QBs are an afterthought because we won with weak ones 30 years ago, but anyone rational fan of the current NFL knows better than to think like this.

we need a QB. having a higher draft pick will give us the best chance of getting whoever we want. if we go 6-10 or another mediocre record, we will have to mortgage picks to get our guy, which sets us back even further if we miss.

I want it all. Every game. But after the Bills fiasco I realized the season was over. I particularly wanted a win against the turds and I would have been a bit happy with that. Because I know this season is a total loss. I don't give a wet fart about draft position. Again I want it all in general.

I am beginning to wonder how many more heartbreakingly inventive ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory the 'Skins will unveil for us this year. This is like a cruel joke that just keeps coming back on it's subject. I would much rather lose all year long in resounding, beyond a shadow of a doubt fashion, than go through these occasional flashes of inspiration, followed by that old friend hope, only to be trumped -- AGAIN -- by bitter, gut-wrenching losses.

No matter how this team scripts their fantastic failures, the end result is and I fear may always be the same: another thrashing of the former Redskins juggernaut at the hands of a formerly lesser team. Another congealed mass of shame, frustration and anger that must needs be washed down the lumps in our burning throats for the umpteenth time. Another futile attempt to sell oneself on being patient, and staying the course...when no conceivable end is in sight. No stretch of anyone's imagination can provide the light at the end of the tunnel thay we so long for. Talk all you want about rebuilding, establishing the right foundation, taking the requisite lumps while undergoing a steady process that will one day take us all the way to the Promised Land; you're fooling yourself with every word.

With every rationalization.

I know. I do it too.

But the Good Lord knows this above all: I wish there was some way, ANY way, to stop.

A-Men

excellent post and I couldn't agree anymore.....I also dislike the eagles more then the Cowboys..but I don't understand peoples logic as to "lets just beat Dallas" ...really splitting with them is fine with me....lets face it...this isn't much of a rivalry game as we'd like to believe it is...I mean Troy Aikman and Joe Buck were calling the GB vs. Bucs game...wow that's proof enough

its cause both teams have been irrelevant for almost 2 decades. rivalries are only fun if both teams are in it and are both really good. steelers/ravens rivalry is awesome because both teams are good, they slug it out, they hate each other.

again, its nice to beat any divisional opponent but making dallas the end all be all when our team is in shambles is pretty stupid.

the goal is to win as many games as possible, not just to beat dallas. that was cute in 1975, but dallas is no longer the powerhouse they once were.

Archived