Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heartbreaker today will make April much sweeter

SkinsHokieFan

If you could guarantee that a top draft picked QB is destined to be great, I understand the logic in this thread. But the league has shown that the great QBs come from various positions in the draft.

What position was Rodgers drafted in? Did the packers have to suck to get a great QB? Brees? Brady? Big Ben was out of the top 5? You're telling me the chances of finding the franchise guy increases THAT dramatically by moving from the 8th-10th pick to the 2nd/3rd that it justifies stooping to the level of wanting to lose. Sorry but that just isn't in my DNA

I'll guarantee that a top-five pick has a much better chance of being "that guy" than other picks. Off the top of my head:

1) Sammy Baugh

2) Joe Namath

3) Len Dawson

4) Bob Griese

5) Bradshaw

6) McMahon

7) Plunkett

8) Aikman

9) Elway

10) Manning

11) Manning

I didn't even list how many Super Bowls these guys won, and I didn't go through each Super Bowl or players who at least got to Super Bowls, unlike what we've done for the past 20 years.

I also didn't list the players in other positions in the top five of the first or the ones in the top five of each consecutive round.

I also didn't list the picks that we could use to trade down and scoop up any other player that you can name. A higher draft choice ALWAYS puts you in a better position for the future than a meaningless win.

There are other benefits to losing today. Although you won't find many who can see them on this message board:

1. Not just hopefully the 2nd pick of the first round, but the second pick of every round.

2. If we finish last in the division again, we get an easier schedule.

Why anyone would be against that makes absolutely no sense. Some of these posts are what you would expect to see on a Cleveland Browns site. Not on one of a supposedly "intelligent" fan site.

I want it all. Every game. But after the Bills fiasco I realized the season was over. I particularly wanted a win against the turds and I would have been a bit happy with that. Because I know this season is a total loss. I don't give a wet fart about draft position. Again I want it all in general.

so draft position doesnt matter to you? you dont want access to the best talent coming out of college for a team in 100% complete rebuild mode? youd rather have us win 6-7 games, draft at #12 and miss out on potential franchise changing players? look at the lions. they scored 49 points today. they have stafford, megatron, and suh. all were picks #1, #2, and #2. they got these franchise changing players by sucking. badly.

ill take sucking badly to get players like that.

personally i hate the eagles a lot more, but thats me.

That's the way I feel too. Since last year at FedEx Field I've hated them far more than I've ever hated the Cowboys.

I'm as positive a guy as anyone here, and you're damn right I wanted the win. But here's what more important; we lost, but our guys could've easily folded after Romo sits to pee's first touchdown. Here's what I want from the rest of the season; I want these guys to keep fighting. Despite all the adversity, despite all the injuries, despite EVERYTHING, even if we lose, I want it to look like we've got some frakking fight in us. What I saw when John Beck was under center was a team that had completely lost all it's confidence. These last couple games, the energy has been back, and the effort has been better.

All I want is the effort right now. All I want is that when the team is down, we keep fighting. That even when we're losing, we're not rolling over for anybody.

If we lose, at least we get primo draft position. If we win, I still feel like we'll get whoever it is we want somehow.

But right now, it's about the fight. They fought. They lost. Gotta believe we're working towards something.

There are other benefits to losing today. Although you won't find many who can see them on this message board:

1. Not just hopefully the 2nd pick of the first round, but the second pick of every round.

Why anyone would be against that makes absolutely no sense. Some of these posts are what you would expect to see on a Cleveland Browns site. Not on one of a supposedly "intelligent" fan site.

i also wouldnt mind 3-13 because it might shut up some of our dumber fans who every year tell me we're going 11-5. itd be really nice for once to see some skins fans live in reality where they understand this is a process (just like what the nats and caps have gone through) and dont expect us to go 11-5 every year.

losing is ok people. taking a few steps backwards to take a big leap forward is perfectly acceptable.

doesn't mean anything to this team when you can only win at most 1 game in your own division...when that happens you're already at best 1-5 if not 0-6add to that we have a easy schedule this season with a veteran QB, what makes you think a rookie QB could/would be better?......Panthers have what 2 wins, Dolphins have what 3? wow other then the Giants and Cowboys all the teams we've played are 500 or worse....

So its ok for us to root for the team to lose pretty much not giving the team any effort but when a player doesn't give it his all we persecute them that sounds logical and fair.

if you are honestly rooting for us to lose go root for a winning team. You don't need a top 4 pick in the draft to get a great qb most of the recent ones have come picks 10-20 and there have been a ton of qbs taken early that were hyped up and ended up being busts. Russell Young Leinart to name a few

Dude, don't try to play in my league when it comes to being a fan. Questioning it just makes you look like a jackass.

I want our players to play hard, always. That's what real football players do. When you don't play hard, even for just a play, then you wasted that play. I don't care who you are, and neither do the coaches in Canton.

Also, you might want to look at the list I provided. You might recognize a name or two.

Personally, I'm tired of going into every game,whether it be Dallas or somebody else, hoping a praying that they make a mistake or that the refs help us with a call or two...in order to have a chance to win.

Give me the highest pick in every round we have so that we can infuse this roster with more talent. I want to have enough talent so we can win despite bad calls, despite the other team.

I'd like to have a Redskins team that forces opponents into mistakes and not the other way around.

Don't understand why some here would let an inconsequential game, in the middle of a lost season, get in the way of that goal?

Let's get enough talent, under center and across the roster, that has Cowboys fans saying: "Well, we've lost our last ten meetings with them..."

Wouldn't that be better than slogging through another 5-11 season?

Maybe Shanahan was thinking the same thing. Wasn't it interesting that he called the timeout when the clock was about to expire right before Romo sits to pee tried to call timeout on the FG in OT. If Shanahan didn't do that, there would have been a penalty on the play making the attempt more difficult.

I think your reading into it a little too much. I dont think Shanny is trying to loose on purpose.

Personally, I'm tired of going into every game,whether it be Dallas or somebody else, hoping a praying that they make a mistake or that the refs help us with a call or two...in order to have a chance to win.

Give me the highest pick in every round we have so that we can infuse this roster with more talent. I want to have enough talent so we can win despite bad calls, despite the other team.

I'd like to have a Redskins team that forces opponents into mistakes and not the other way around.

Don't understand why some here would let an inconsequential game, in the middle of a lost season, get in the way of that goal?

Let's get enough talent, under center and across the roster, that has Cowboys fans saying: "Well, we've lost our last ten meetings with them..."

Wouldn't that be better than slogging through another 5-11 season?

You mean you don't want a blown call or missed field goal or mistake by another team to be what gives us a victory?!?!?!?! You want us to consistently win convincingly?!?!?! Turn in your fan card, punk.

Dude, don't try to play in my league when it comes to being a fan. Questioning it just makes you look like a jackass.

I want our players to play hard, always. That's what real football players do. When you don't play hard, even for just a play, then you wasted that play. I don't care who you are, and neither do the coaches in Canton.

Also, you might want to look at the list I provided. You might recognize a name or two.

dude learn to read i never questioned YOUR fanhood who am i to determine any individuals fanhood ? all i said was if you are rooting for this team to lose then go root for a team that is winning because there should never be a point in your life that you root for your team to lose you may know they will lose, but never ever wish a loss upon your alleged favorite team.

Also Football fans root for their team to do well not to lose

A franchise that is in the toilet is going to need more than a QB period. I am sure that I am not alone in thinking that there needs to be a HUGE culture change for this franchise to become relevant again and while a solid QB is a start, it's going to take alot more than that. And losing does nothing to help the culture around here no matter how much closer it gets you to drafting the QB of your dreams. Players don't like playing here, players don't want to play for franchises that tank, don't play with heart and just go out there like they don't care.

My main point in this thread has been that you shouldn't have to go out there and hope to lose in order to get a draft pick. If this team is horrible and it is, the draft position will come but you still have to start to try and change the culture around this organization THIS year with the players that are here now and will be here next year. Messages are sent by the way franchises conduct themselves and you can't take 3 steps back during the season just to take one step forward by drafting a top QB.

What position was Rodgers drafted in? Did the packers have to suck to get a great QB? Brees? Brady? Big Ben was out of the top 5? You're telling me the chances of finding the franchise guy increases THAT dramatically by moving from the 8th-10th pick to the 2nd/3rd that it justifies stooping to the level of wanting to lose. Sorry but that just isn't in my DNA

I think Rodgers dropped because no team after the 49ers really needed a QB, plus that draft class was viewed as pretty weak for QBs. I think Rodgers played for Tedford. Most Tedford QBs haven't done much in the NFL, outside of Trent Dilfer, so people didn't realize that Rodgers was going to be a stud. Big Ben fell out of the top 5 because the QB needy teams took Eli Manning and Philip Rivers, so it's not like Ben wasn't top 5 quality, it was just that he happened to fall a little bit. I saw a stat somewhere that showed 2nd round QBs don't amount to much. Brees is not the norm. Andy Dalton is playing well, but that doesn't happen often. Brady is a once in a lifetime gem. That is not the norm. We need to take one of the top 4 QBs in the next draft. If we did have an 8-8 record, we could hope that a top QB falls to us, but that is nothing to bank on. Also, we would probably have to trade away valuable picks to move up and land a top QB. It's best to secure a top 3 pick. That said, I wish we would've won today. Oh well.

Let it go NC man.

The 'turn in your fan card/ your not a proper fan etc ad nauseam' B/S honestly isn't worth you lowering yourself by giving it any credence. Give it the respect it deserves: NONE at all.

Hail.

last time i mailed in my fan card vinny got fired.

if only i could mail my fan card in every week, something good might happen. lol

Maybe Shanahan was thinking the same thing. Wasn't it interesting that he called the timeout when the clock was about to expire right before Romo sits to pee tried to call timeout on the FG in OT. If Shanahan didn't do that, there would have been a penalty on the play making the attempt more difficult.

They talked about that right after it happened. On those plays where coaches want to "ice" the kicker they tell the ref that they're going to, that way the ref calls it at the last second. That's what happened there... Ref was instructed to call it at the last second, ref called it at the last second. Shanahan couldn't have known that there was a possible delay of game.

so draft position doesnt matter to you? you dont want access to the best talent coming out of college for a team in 100% complete rebuild mode? youd rather have us win 6-7 games, draft at #12 and miss out on potential franchise changing players? look at the lions. they scored 49 points today. they have stafford, megatron, and suh. all were picks #1, #2, and #2. they got these franchise changing players by sucking. badly.

ill take sucking badly to get players like that.

I am with you. For QB you got right now, Luck, R. Griffin III, L. Jones, Barkey, and maybe Tannehill --as the draft gets closer these guys tend to rise. 4 of the 5 guys are already spoken of a lot as top 10 picks, and in many cases top 5. The kicker is there is a chance at least 2 of those guys don't even declare. Then we are talking 3 QBs. IMO we can't count on the idea that we will land one of these guys if we don't pick top 5. For those talking about teams ahead of us in the draft who don't need a QB, my thought is so what -- it just sets up trades for these teams to milk their draft position so they can add picks.

Let it go NC man.

The 'turn in your fan card/ your not a proper fan etc ad nauseam' B/S honestly isn't worth you lowering yourself by giving it any credence. Give it the respect it deserves: NONE at all.

Hail.

Meh. You're right. Thanks for that.

dude learn to read i never questioned YOUR fanhood who am i to determine any individuals fanhood ? all i said was if you are rooting for this team to lose then go root for a team that is winning because there should never be a point in your life that you root for your team to lose you may know they will lose, but never ever wish a loss upon your alleged favorite team.

Also Football fans root for their team to do well not to lose

I'll stop with this:

I think that you put it brilliantly: "Football fans want their teams to do well, not to lose." I want our team to do well. For a long time. Not for a game that won't mean squat to anyone in the long run. Quick, without looking, who won our first meeting against Dallas in 1995? 1996? 1975? Oh, you can't name it? Because it doesn't matter. Getting a higher draft pick gets you a better player more than a lower draft pick. Better players get you more wins. That's all that matters in the long run.

---------- Post added November-20th-2011 at 05:47 PM ----------

Don't worry, Panthers aren't going QB, Vikings probably aren't. That's the key.

Don't take any solace in that.

They both can trade to teams who will take a quarterback. Falcons traded up to FIFTH last year to get Jones, and he's just a receiver.

Also i don't know where this preconceived notion that having a higher pick is a lock for getting great players if your scouting department does their job correctly you should be able to draft solid guys throughout the entire draft.

We don't do that we traded back 100 times this last draft and passed on many players who could have helped us. Like taking Roy Helu over Demarco Murray i was screaming for murray in the 3rd round. I did like some of shannys moves like trading out of 10 was cool because gabbert was hyped up way to much anyone can sling the ball around in the spread

its cause both teams have been irrelevant for almost 2 decades. rivalries are only fun if both teams are in it and are both really good. steelers/ravens rivalry is awesome because both teams are good, they slug it out, they hate each other.

again, its nice to beat any divisional opponent but making dallas the end all be all when our team is in shambles is pretty stupid.

the goal is to win as many games as possible, not just to beat dallas. that was cute in 1975, but dallas is no longer the powerhouse they once were.

You're defining the rivalry in terms of the NFL in general. In those terms, you're right.

But with most Redskins fans, this rivalry has little to do with how great or bad each team is when they face off. Sure, meaningful games for playoff position are always going to be more hyped, but every game, EVERY game between these two teams is important to the vast majority of Redskins fans. It comes down to bragging rights, it comes down to dealing with so many Cowboy fans in the area who love to boast, etc. Getting swept by them is always a bitter pill to swallow for most of us.

In short, this one hurt. I would've much preferred being blown out, which is what I thought would happen in the first place. This was just cruel. I'm trying to console myself with the better draft pick stuff, as I do understand that mindset. But it might take awhile.

Archived