Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Barkley or Jones? You decide...

RakAttack

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Matt Barkley is going to be the best USC QB in the NFL...better then Palmer, way better then Sanchez and do I even have to mention Todd Marinovich?...hands down Robert Griffin III will be nothing more then a Vince Young.....Barkley is a true pocket passer and has been successful all 3 yrs in a Pro-Style Offense...Barkley is my choice and Pray and Hope he stays in Bungundy and Gold for alot longer then just in college

Not a throw the kid can't make..

I am tired of these Athletes that can throw the ball. All the way back to Randall cunningham they have proven they can't do it and just continually fake out teams that draft them. I don't want it. RG3 may be smart, I don't know. But he is a shorter than ideal, skinny athletic QB who will get hurt every week like Vick, imho.

---------- Post added November-20th-2011 at 07:07 PM ----------

Has nothing about his skin color. He isnt a QB in my opinion. He is a short, scrawny athlete who can play college football. He is an Athlete who can throw the ball and all the way back to Randaall Cunningham those players have disappointed.

Give me a QB who hasn't played QB for 3 years and won solely on athleticism.

To call Robert Griffin III just another athlete quarterback does him a great disservice, and yet again, there's really no comparison with what he's doing now and what Vick and VY did in college.

1.) Michael Vick only had two years of college ball before he came out. How the Falcons had the balls to draft him out of Virginia Tech with only two years of experience is BEYOND ME. But Vick never passed for over 2,000 yards in either of those two seasons. He only threw for 20 touchdowns in two years.

Then you look at VY's stats, and you see that HE didn't pass for over 2,000 yards his first two seasons. Dude had 18 touchdowns and 18 interceptions in two seasons. He blew up for 3,036 yards and 26 touchdowns in his junior season, but even so, he didn't have the best track record.

By comparison, Robert Griffin has thrown for 2091 yards and 15 touchdowns in his first season starting, 3,501 yards yards and 22 touchdowns in his third season starting (got injured in season 2), and has thrown for 3,572 yards and 33 touchdowns this season.

And that attitude those two guys had far outweighed any potential talent they may have had.

You have a guy in RGIII who's a four year starter (even though he got hurt in year two), is a world class athlete no doubt, but also has excelled in academics. He's a pass first quarterback, whereas those two guys relied on their legs far more. His completion percentage has consistently gone up every year he's played. He's a good kid with a great head on his shoulders, he's humble, devoted to his religion, great family, smart as hell...

He, in essence, is everything guys like Randal Cunningham, Vince Young, Donovan McNabb and Michael Vick WEREN'T coming out of college. When you're that gifted athletically, you can allow those natural God given gifts to warp you and give you a tremendously big ego (see another great athlete who, despite his great numbers, never COMPLETELY lived to his potential in Randy Moss). That hasn't happened with RGIII.

RGIII is a PASSING quarterback who is able to run, not a running quarterback who just so happens to throw.

And he ain't scrawny neither.

How exactly is Jones a sorry QB?

I know that from the outside, watching ESPN highlights and seein his stats one may be inclined to think he's a good prospect. However, I watch him in person on a weekly basis and the truth is, he's not very accurate. On top of that if he gets pressured he can't hang in and make the throw. Additionally, late in games he seems to get flustered and overthrow people. Which is funny when you consider how people who don't watch him every week will say he has "great accuracy." Granted, every now and then he'll have a decent game. And then other games he looks like a totally different person. To me all that says is that he is consistently inconsistent. He's the Tony Romo sits to pee of the college game. That's really all that can be said.

I seldom watch college football and have to depend on someone else, but I will say if you have the ESPN Insider that the top 5 QB's are rated in this order with following ranking on a 100 point scale. The next number shows their relative ranking within the top 100 draftees.

1. 99, 1 Luck
  2. 95, 4 Jones
  3. 91, 18 Barkley
  4. 85, 42 Tannehill
  5. 83, 53 Griffin III

Take it for what its worth, but the the love on this board for RG3 desn't match up with Scouts, Inc, ratings.

The Skins need a QB as desperately as they need OL. Whoever they pick at QB in the first round, I hope they spend the rest of the draft in 2012 and 2013 surrounding him with some weapons and getting some serious talent on the offensive line. The OL has improved over last year, but it is still seriously lacking in depth and talent at every position but left tackle.

Cutler doesn't run?

We do like to roll the QB out and there are reasons why we haven't done it as much from the limitations of the QB (Rex) and the lack of an effective running game to set-up the bootleg.

Less then 10% really? You been keeping track?

I agree with your last point though.

Cutler runs for his life. He's hardly a "scrambling or running" QB. Why don't you look the godamn stats up on our rollouts if you want to know so bad? I mean, stop taking things so literally. This is just an informal discussion. Maybe you should start your own "Redskins Up to the Minute Stats" thread so you can argue with everyone. I watch the games every week. From "my view" we run bootleg/rollouts, less than 10% of the time. But if I'm wrong, I'm sure you'll look it up to "prove me wrong." And you know what? I don't give a **** if I'm right or wrong, because it just doesn't really matter to me. I have bigger things in my life to worry about. So go ahead, look it up if it satisfies you. My point was, I don't think we need the next coming of Elway type player to run this offense.

I know that from the outside, watching ESPN highlights and seein his stats one may be inclined to think he's a good prospect. However, I watch him in person on a weekly basis and the truth is, he's not very accurate. On top of that if he gets pressured he can't hang in and make the throw. Additionally, late in games he seems to get flustered and overthrow people. Which is funny when you consider how people who don't watch him every week will say he has "great accuracy." Granted, every now and then he'll have a decent game. And then other games he looks like a totally different person. To me all that says is that he is consistently inconsistent. He's the Tony Romo sits to pee of the college game. That's really all that can be said.

Outside of his highlights, I've seen all of his throws from the Texas and Texas Tech games and he definitely didn't strike me as a sorry QB. Maybe I haven't seen enough of his bad outings but compared to the USC games that I've seen, he seems to be more accurate and decisive than Matt Barkley.

I am tired of these Athletes that can throw the ball. All the way back to Randall cunningham they have proven they can't do it and just continually fake out teams that draft them. I don't want it. RG3 may be smart, I don't know. But he is a shorter than ideal, skinny athletic QB who will get hurt every week like Vick, imho.

Robert Griffin III 6'2 220

Steve Young 6'2 215

John Elway 6'3 215

Aaron Rodgers 6'2 225

Mike Vick is 6'0 215

To call Robert Griffin III just another athlete quarterback does him a great disservice, and yet again, there's really no comparison with what he's doing now and what Vick and VY did in college.

1.) Michael Vick only had two years of college ball before he came out. How the Falcons had the balls to draft him out of Virginia Tech with only two years of experience is BEYOND ME. But Vick never passed for over 2,000 yards in either of those two seasons. He only threw for 20 touchdowns in two years.

Then you look at VY's stats, and you see that HE didn't pass for over 2,000 yards his first two seasons. Dude had 18 touchdowns and 18 interceptions in two seasons. He blew up for 3,036 yards and 26 touchdowns in his junior season, but even so, he didn't have the best track record.

By comparison, Robert Griffin has thrown for 2091 yards and 15 touchdowns in his first season starting, 3,501 yards yards and 22 touchdowns in his third season starting (got injured in season 2), and has thrown for 3,572 yards and 33 touchdowns this season.

And that attitude those two guys had far outweighed any potential talent they may have had.

You have a guy in RGIII who's a four year starter (even though he got hurt in year two), is a world class athlete no doubt, but also has excelled in academics. He's a pass first quarterback, whereas those two guys relied on their legs far more. His completion percentage has consistently gone up every year he's played. He's a good kid with a great head on his shoulders, he's humble, devoted to his religion, great family, smart as hell...

He, in essence, is everything guys like Randal Cunningham, Vince Young, Donovan McNabb and Michael Vick WEREN'T coming out of college. When you're that gifted athletically, you can allow those natural God given gifts to warp you and give you a tremendously big ego (see another great athlete who, despite his great numbers, never COMPLETELY lived to his potential in Randy Moss). That hasn't happened with RGIII.

RGIII is a PASSING quarterback who is able to run, not a running quarterback who just so happens to throw.

And he ain't scrawny neither.

RG3 is a great guy. Probably a great teammate and everything. However, I don't want a guy who has played 5 years of QB. I want a guy who has played QB since he was 5 yrs old. And he is scrawny. He will go nowhere in the NFL.

---------- Post added November-20th-2011 at 10:00 PM ----------

You're a madman. Did you watch his performance last night? You need to be quiet.

Vince Young's performance in the National Championship against USC was great as well. Pass and Pass. You are not good enough to tell me to be quiet.

---------- Post added November-20th-2011 at 10:01 PM ----------

Just so you know, Matt Barkley and Robert Griffen III are 6-2 / 220

Yup. Matt Barkley isn't 6'2" and RG# isnt 220. They are both undersized and I want neither.

---------- Post added November-20th-2011 at 10:03 PM ----------

Ignorant opinions should always be challenged.

Then challenge them with substance...Unless you are ignorant enough to think his post was an example of substance.

RG3 is a great guy. Probably a great teammate and everything. However, I don't want a guy who has played 5 years of QB. I want a guy who has played QB since he was 5 yrs old. And he is scrawny. He will go nowhere in the NFL.

---------- Post added November-20th-2011 at 10:00 PM ----------

Vince Young's performance in the National Championship against USC was great as well. Pass and Pass. You are not good enough to tell me to be quiet.

---------- Post added November-20th-2011 at 10:01 PM ----------

I bet you thought Cam Newton would be a bust in the NFL too huh? Who knew you were able to see into the future since clearly by your word RGIII will go nowhere in the league. lmao you're a funny guy.

lol 5 years old. Please get over to peewee football and report back on the passing game you see there. Youth football doesn't really get a passing game until later and many highschool teams looks like they've adapted their offense for Tim Tebow. :)

Griffin attended Copperas Cove High School, where he was a three-sport star in basketball, football, and track. He started at quarterback for two seasons. During his junior season, he passed for 2,001 yards and 25 touchdowns with two interceptions, while compiling 876 rushing yards for 8 touchdowns. He received first-team All-District 16-4A honors after the season. As a senior, he recorded 1,285 rushing yards, posting 24 touchdowns, and also passed 1,356 yards for 16 touchdowns with seven interceptions. In his senior season Copperas Cove finished with a record of 13–2, and lost in the championship game of the 2007 Class 4A Division I state playoffs. Over the two seasons, he rushed for a total of 2,161 yards and 32 touchdowns, while passing for 3,357 yards and 41 touchdowns with nine interceptions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Griffin_III

He didn't stumble onto QB in college...

I bet you thought Cam Newton would be a bust in the NFL too huh? Who knew you were able to see into the future since clearly by your word RGIII will go nowhere in the league. lmao you're a funny guy.

Yes I thought Cam would be a bust in the league, like a lot of people. But to be fair, I bet people will figure Newton out. But I also though Campbell was bad, McNabb was bad, VY was bad, Jamarcus Russel was bad, Claussen was bad so I am doing pretty well. L. Jones and Barkley > RG3

Yes I thought Cam would be a bust in the league, like a lot of people. But to be fair, I bet people will figure Newton out. But I also though Campbell was bad, McNabb was bad, VY was bad, Jamarcus Russel was bad, Claussen was bad so I am doing pretty well. L. Jones and Barkley > RG3

You think they'll figure Cam out? What exactly is there to figure out? He can make all the throws, can scramble and is a great athlete. Cam has all the tools to be a top 5 QB in this league for 10+ years. And so does RGIII. McNabb was bad? Here yeah, but he was a top 5 qb for most all of his years in Philly.

lol 5 years old. Please get over to peewee football and report back on the passing game you see there. Youth football doesn't really get a passing game until later and many highschool teams looks like they've adapted their offense for Tim Tebow. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Griffin_III

He didn't stumble onto QB in college...

Sorry, you need to read Outliers. The hours put in as a young kid running a position makes a huge difference.

5 years as a QB = a 2nd round pick. Not a top 5 overall. Gimme a Manning who has played football since 5th grade. Or a brady who idolized Montana as a kid.

We better not draft this guy with a top ten pick.

---------- Post added November-20th-2011 at 10:30 PM ----------

You think they'll figure Cam out? What exactly is there to figure out? He can make all the throws, can scramble and is a great athlete. Cam has all the tools to be a top 5 QB in this league for 10+ years. And so does RGIII. McNabb was bad? Here yeah, but he was a top 5 qb for most all of his years in Philly.

Cam will not win crap. If he does, I will post that I was wrong and you were right. He'll be a Donovan McNabb if he's lucky- throwing up as he chokes it all away.

...Tom Brady didn't start playing football seriously until he was in high school. He spent most of his childhood playing baseball...

...John Beck played football all his life...

...Your argument sucks, hitmandm.

Fine. Can't go on forever with you. RG3 will be a decent QB that will take the team that drafts him nowhere near a SB. Weve seen this story a dozen times in the NFL. He is nothing like the Mannings, the Bradys, the Rotheleisburgers, the Rogers who win SBs, or the Rivers or Matty Ices that have a chance. He is of the mold of Vick, VY, Randall Cunnimgham and the other "just not good enough QBs" that have been suckering teams into thinking that an Athlete that can throw a football really can lead a team to a SB. Learn from it.

Gimme Landry Jones or Matt Barkley any day in the NFL.

Fine. Can't go on forever with you. RG3 will be a decent QB that will take the team that drafts him nowhere near a SB. Weve seen this story a dozen times in the NFL. He is nothing like the Mannings, the Bradys, the Rotheleisburgers, the Rogers who win SBs, or the Rivers or Matty Ices that have a chance. He is of the mold of Vick, VY, Randall Cunnimgham and the other "just not good enough QBs" that have been suckering teams into thinking that an Athlete that can throw a football really can lead a team to a SB. Learn from it.

Gimme Landry Jones or Matt Barkley any day in the NFL.

He actually plays exactly like Rodgers in Green Bay if you watch him. He uses his athleticism to slide around in the pocket, eyes down field, he loves to go deep and has great deep accuracy, and if no passes are open, he gets what he can on the ground. Why doesn't Rodgers get categorized as an athlete? He scrambles a LOT.To answer my own question, it's because he is pass first. That's the same as RGIII. Seriously, if you watch you'll see my comparison stands up.

for all the RGIII fans, would everyone agree he got some pretty bad happy feet last night against oklahoma? dont get me wrong, hes got a rifle, he seems like a smart kid and he can throw, but the happy feet really discouraged me. i know people dont wanna say hes a scrambler (and thats fine) but i think he had like 20 times where he left the pocket? i personally do not want a QB like that, and he seemed to want to bail a lot more than a QB should.

flame away (seems his supporters are like die hard about not criticizing him) but what i saw last night was a QB that ran an option offense extremely well thats way more gifted than the defenses he faces that bailed way too many times out of that pocket for my liking. in his defense, that last throw he made was straight awesome, so clearly hes got the arm and the accuracy seems there. the bailing, i was not a fan.

for all the RGIII fans, would everyone agree he got some pretty bad happy feet last night against oklahoma? dont get me wrong, hes got a rifle, he seems like a smart kid and he can throw, but the happy feet really discouraged me. i know people dont wanna say hes a scrambler (and thats fine) but i think he had like 20 times where he left the pocket? i personally do not want a QB like that, and he seemed to want to bail a lot more than a QB should.

flame away (seems his supporters are like die hard about not criticizing him) but what i saw last night was a QB that ran an option offense extremely well thats way more gifted than the defenses he faces that bailed way too many times out of that pocket for my liking. in his defense, that last throw he made was straight awesome, so clearly hes got the arm and the accuracy seems there. the bailing, i was not a fan.

Did he "bail" or did he slide around the pocket to by time? No different than I see Rodgers do, or Cutler do, or Romo sits to pee do to us today. It's not like he just took off and ran; he was looking to throw. All 3 of those QBs do the same thing often to make up for poor OL play which Baylor has a lot of. Would you consider those QBs to have happy feet?

I am not sure why every black QB gets compared to black QBs and contrasted with white ones. What about guys like Steve Young, John Elway, and Aaron Rodgers? They were pretty great athletes who did a so-so job of leading their teams to SB victories.

Archived