Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hank's injury the same one that ended Bo's career

pram11

What I'm saying is we shouldn't all just assume it's cut and dry just because Shanny said 4 months. This is not a common injury. It's not like an ACL where tens and thousands have have been repaired and the surgery/recovery is a routine thing in athletes. Hank's injury is not that simple.

I'm actually scared to have Ryan Kerrigan on the field during the remainder of the season. The way this season is going the Redskins might as well take Orakpo out of the rest of the games too. Everyone is getting hurt and I'm scared for the future of all our players!

Seriously man. We lose our 2nd and 3rd round picks to serious, season-ending injuries. Jenkins looked like our best defensive lineman and Hank looked like he may be our best offensive play-maker by season's end. Hard to rebuild when you lose your top draft picks and best young talent.

What I'm saying is we shouldn't all just assume it's cut and dry just because Shanny said 4 months. This is not a common injury. It's not like an ACL where tens and thousands have have been repaired and the surgery/recovery is a routine thing in athletes. Hank's injury is not that simple.

OK, so it's the same thing that ended Jackson's career 20 years ago.

Are there any examples of current or recent players who've had their careers ended by this injury? Any examples of current/recent players who've come back from it and thrived?

This thread is like setting fire to a guy after he's been given the Immortals giant wooden hammer treatment. If you haven't seen that movie and don't know what I'm talking about, and you're MALE ... consider yourself lucky.

For those don't actually want to take time to read that posted medical article;

Subluxation is the partial or full dislocation of the hip joint, where the joint returns to position after dislocating on it's own. It's pretty rare.

AVN is a condition where blood flow becomes restricted to the area after subluxation occurs.

AVN is a very serious condition which causes bone death and will require a full hip replacement.

They studied 10 players that had a hip subluxation.

2 of the 10 developed AVN overtime after the injury occurred. They are not really sure why and that is the point of the study.

Early detection seems to be key as it's hard to diagnose that a subluxation did in fact occur. It's good news that Hank was on crutches the same day, as that is what they recommend as soon as possible, to remove all weight from the hip.

The subluxation btw, can only be detected by MRI or a angled Xray.

About 6 weeks from now, they'll do another MRI and look for any early onset of AVN. We'll all just have to cross our fingers that he doesn't develope AVN.

No AVN, Hank should be back next year and doing fine. If he developes AVN, it would potentially end his career.

Subluxation is the partial or full dislocation of the hip joint, where the joint returns to position after dislocating on it's own. It's pretty rare.

AVN is a condition where blood flow becomes restricted to the area after subluxation occurs.

AVN is a very serious condition which causes bone death and will require a full hip replacement.

2 of the 10 developed AVN overtime after the injury occurred. They are not really sure why and that is the point of the study.

Early detection seems to be key as it's hard to diagnose that a subluxation did in fact occur. It's good news that Hank was on crutches the same day, as that is what they recommend as soon as possible, to remove all weight from the hip.

About 6 weeks from now, they'll do another MRI and look for any early onset of AVN. We'll all just have to cross our fingers that he doesn't develope AVN.

No AVN, Hank should be back next year and doing fine. If he developes AVN, it would potentially end his career.

Thank you, Gary, for Googling and writing about this before I got a chance to do it, :-)

And there I was watching yesterday's game thinking to myself at least I could enjoy watching the emergence of Leonard Hankerson in the second half of the season. Now that's been taken away! Can we have even ONE DAMN positive thing to hang our hat on this season??!!!!????? This has got to be the most frustrating season I've ever watched. It's like a bad joke!

I agree man, this season is the pits. The only positive thing I can think of is watching Kerrigan play. In general, watching this team play is brutal and it feels more like an obligation than a pleasure. The only good thing about this team is the lack of horrendous contracts that plagued the previous regime.

The problem is that you're drumming up the worst-case scenario in the same manner that 24-hour news networks do. It's not a terribly honest portrayal of what's going on and causes people to worry about things they shouldn't have to.

And there I was watching yesterday's game thinking to myself at least I could enjoy watching the emergence of Leonard Hankerson in the second half of the season. Now that's been taken away! Can we have even ONE DAMN positive thing to hang our hat on this season??!!!!????? This has got to be the most frustrating season I've ever watched. It's like a bad joke!

We 3 positives. Cooley is now the best TE in franchise history. Gano has the longest FG in franchise history. and Roy Helu set the franchise record for receptions in a game being thrown to by legendary QB John Beck.

---------- Post added November-14th-2011 at 04:53 PM ----------

Hip subluxations aren't that rare, especially coupled with a labral tear. When working in physical therapy, I seemed to constantly have at least 1 person with that exact injury coming for treatment at a time (in 2 years time). Only 1 person did not recover fully and that was an 86 year old man.

The problem is that you're drumming up the worst-case scenario in the same manner that 24-hour news networks do. It's not a terribly honest portrayal of what's going on and causes people to worry about things they shouldn't have to.

Uh no, what I'm doing is being realistic and saying that it's not a cut and dry injury/recovery like an ACL, and that the 4 month recovery time should be looked at with skepticism. It is an uncommon injury with facts stating a full recovery is hardly guaranteed. Anyone choosing to ignore those realities has blunders on.

Uh no, what I'm doing is being realistic and saying that it's not a cut and dry injury/recovery like an ACL, and that the 4 month recovery time should be looked at with skepticism. It is an uncommon injury with facts stating a full recovery is hardly guaranteed. Anyone choosing to ignore those realities has blunders on.

*cough*

Hip subluxations aren't that rare, especially coupled with a labral tear. When working in physical therapy, I seemed to constantly have at least 1 person with that exact injury coming for treatment at a time (in 2 years time). Only 1 person did not recover fully and that was an 86 year old man.

This season ******* sucks.

We stink, our players heads are falling off, and we won't even get the consolation prize of Andrew Luck.

Honestly, stuff like this makes me hate being a Skins fan. (not that I could change it even if I wanted to) This is ****.

*cough*

well to be fair.. the duke medical article was focusing specifically on athletes... noting it was uncommon in football.

also noting that 2 of 10 were not able to return to a competitive level and eventually required full hip replacments because of AVN.

i'm sure the severity of the injury can be more dramatic when it is sustained during pro football, as compared to someone tripping over something and sustaining it.

If you want to make people aware that there's a roughly 25% chance that Hankerson has complications that are fairly serious, that's fine. Comparing his injury to Bo's is a little over the top when you consider the difference in time frame and the fact that Hankerson has not yet proven to be in the 25% (and his odds of avoiding calamity are likely better than that given the early diagnosis). The fact that you offered virtually no substance in your first post and thought this merited its own thread when it could easily have gone into an existing one is just icing on the cake (and is where the 24-hour news network comment really comes into play).

If you want to make people aware that there's a roughly 25% chance that Hankerson has complications that are fairly serious, that's fine. Comparing his injury to Bo's is a little over the top when you consider the difference in time frame and the fact that Hankerson has not yet proven to be in the 25% (and his odds of avoiding calamity are likely better than that given the early diagnosis). The fact that you offered virtually no substance in your first post and thought this merited its own thread when it could easily have gone into an existing one is just icing on the cake (and is where the 24-hour news network comment really comes into play).

How is the comparison to Bo over the top when, if you read the article I posted, clearly stated that 2 of the ten "more recent" athletes in the study never returned to their competitive level and eventually needed new hips. The "merit' of the facts is as clear as the day is long.

Archived