Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFCE Blog - ESPN: Cooley Makes Sense... Let's be patient!

Tiberius TDA

SSM, I feel like we should make a macro with all of that, so those of us trying to discuss real football can just press a button and have it all appear for all the screaming memes that will need it..

The bit about the 49ers build is spot ON, and so is the rest of the post.

Considering I expect the 9ers to run us over on Sunday, I also fully expect this board to be overrun with "Why can't we be as successful as the 49ers!" whines.

I'm just going to copy your post into a word file and keep it til next week, when it will be needed a few dozen times.

~Bang

One of the major problems with our defense is our offense has gotten so anemic it can't keep our defense off the field. During our first 3 wins' date=' we had times of possession of 32 minutes, 35 minutes, and 38 minutes. Our losses are 25, 24, 21 and 28 (that weird, fluky game against Dallas). Had our offense been able to move the ball, and keep our defense off the field, we would do much better.

Example, see second half of Eagles game. Our offense moved the ball better than the first half, our defense improved. The injuries on offense definitely hampered our defense.[/quote']

Yeah, but our defense have been getting exposed "early" in games before stamina plays a factor.

If you don't say this, you get what Indianapolis has this year, with no Peyton Manning return to save us.

They weren't just talking this team up. They were saying "this is a different Redskins" "this team is special" We're gonna win the division" "we're going to the SB" and since we got rid of the cancers (Haynesworth, Rogers) things would be different.

Things don't look that much different to me.

Yeah, but our defense have been getting exposed "early" in games before stamina plays a factor.

So in other words, you still want to appear clueless.

Giving up a few points or a drive early is hardly being 'exposed'... unless the opponenrt ends up with over 30 points. (The Panthers are the only team who put up more points than we SHOULD be able to overcome with a competent offense. To be a consistently competitive team, you should score at least 24 per game.)

The defense has to keep the game manageable. The offense has to score points, especially when the defense gives them field position and turnovers, which they've done in all but the Carolina and Dallas games.

This week we got a fumble in the red zone, and went directly backwards, got a FG blocked and not only came away with nothing, but gave the Bills field position around the 50.)

Again, you can read here and learn, or keep covering your eyes and ignoring what is written and yelling the same old nonsense.

Maybe you and Herb Mul-Key there can start the "We done been tired of being patients" club.

~Bang

SSM, I feel like we should make a macro with all of that, so those of us trying to discuss real football can just press a button and have it all appear for all the screaming memes that will need it..

Considering I expect the 9ers to run us over on Sunday, I also fully expect this board to be overrun with "Why can't we be as successful as the 49ers!" whines.

I'm just going to copy your post into a word file and keep it til next week, when it will be needed a few dozen times.

~Bang

I would also say Singletary while not a great head coach instilled some great stuff into that team...Harbaugh came into a good situation unlike Shanny.

Aren't you guys bummed at all about how terrible we looked the last 3 weeks? and Cooley trying to tell us to be patient?...hell man I just want to look somewhat respectable...NOW...Buffalo and Philly were embarrassing...

I wish I could have the faith and patience you have...I just find myself so skeptical and in a show it and prove it mood w this team...no patience...

Hopefully we can play well this weekend w who we have ready to go...I am thinking we get blown out...

~Bang

TK knows one of my best buds, 49er Phil, who has been an SF fan for 45 years. He lurks here to read and has been laughing his ass off at how he sees so many of our posters "analyzing" SF's success. He's been going through more than 5 years of "rebuilding" in absolute misery (especially anguishing over taking Smith until this year), and stating (as I also know) that it's how absolute suck-ass that division is that has helped SF as much as anything. He also says he thought SFgate or whatever his team's fan site is was the only one that had so many retarded posters. :ols:

Cooley's 100% on-point. Fans of this team are exactly the same as the owner they say they hate. Completely petulant and harebrained, there's no patience.

I agree 100%. Look at some of the posts on here after a game. Look at some of the posts on here during FA. for all the things we bash Snyder for, we preach doing those things on here. Can't have it both ways

Yes. We were a 6-10 team last year. That wasn't going to magically change in a couple months.

Even that doesn't tell the whole story.

We were a 6-10 season last year that started the season actually trying for a quick fix. Only AFTER last year's start did they realize they needed to really start gutting the team that was here.

So that means 6-10 was them "trying" and this is the year where they're embarking on an admitted rebuild effort.

http://www.realredskins.com/rich-tandlers-real-redsk/2011/03/will-shanahan-rebuild-the-right-way.html

As Tandler says there, the direct Shanahan quote doesn't start well but it does end well:

"We need some more depth. We need to improve a lot of different areas. What you want to do is win consistently. You don’t want to win just one year. You’ve got to build a foundation. You’ve got to get some depth at a lot of different positions. If you want to stay at the top, you’ve got to do things the right way, and we’re going to do things the right way."

This is not a 1-year fix, and regardless of what people said publicly this season, I think our coaches did know that. I am disappointed in the defense's performance the past couple of weeks, but I think overall the defense will be "ok" at least. It's the offense that needs (and I think will get) the most attention this offseason.

Drive summary of our defenses first drives of the last three games.

Vs. Eagles

(15:00) 7-M.Vick pass incomplete deep left to 10-D.Jackson.

2-10-PHI 20

(14:54) (Shotgun) PENALTY on PHI-79-T.Herremans, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at PHI 20 - No Play.

2-15-PHI 15

(14:54) (Shotgun) 25-L.McCoy left tackle to PHI 15 for no gain (96-B.Cofield).

3-15-PHI 15

(14:14) (Shotgun) 7-M.Vick pass incomplete short middle to 87-B.Celek.

4-15-PHI 15

(14:07) 8-C.Henry punts 46 yards to WAS 39, Center-46-J.Dorenbos. 16-B.Banks to WAS 41 for 2 yards (56-A.Jordan). PENALTY on PHI-82-C.Harbor, Face Mask (15 Yards), 15 yards, enforced at WAS 41.

vs. Carolina

(15:00) 34-D.Williams left guard to CAR 21 for 1 yard (98-B.Orakpo).

2-9-CAR 21

(14:22) (Shotgun) 1-C.Newton pass incomplete short left to 89-S.Smith.

3-9-CAR 21

(14:18) (Shotgun) 1-C.Newton scrambles right end to CAR 46 for 25 yards (37-R.Doughty).

1-10-CAR 46

(14:18) PENALTY on CAR-1-C.Newton, Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced at CAR 46 - No Play.

1-15-CAR 41

(13:20) 1-C.Newton pass short right to 17-L.Naanee to CAR 48 for 7 yards (23-D.Hall).

2-8-CAR 48

(12:41) 1-C.Newton pass short left to 45-J.Felton to WAS 35 for 17 yards (26-J.Wilson).

1-10-WAS 35

(11:56) (Shotgun) 1-C.Newton pass short right to 80-J.Shockey to WAS 26 for 9 yards (59-L.Fletcher).

2-1-WAS 26

(11:19) 45-J.Felton up the middle to WAS 22 for 4 yards (52-R.McIntosh).

1-10-WAS 22

(10:34) 34-D.Williams left end to WAS 20 for 2 yards (30-L.Landry). Direct snap to 34-Williams, Deangelo

2-8-WAS 20

(10:10) (Shotgun) 28-J.Stewart left guard to WAS 6 for 14 yards (37-R.Doughty).

1-6-WAS 6

(9:33) 1-C.Newton up the middle to WAS 2 for 4 yards (94-A.Carriker).

2-2-WAS 2

(8:57) (Shotgun) PENALTY on CAR-88-G.Olsen, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at WAS 2 - No Play.

2-7-WAS 7

(8:38) (Shotgun) 1-C.Newton right tackle to WAS 8 for -1 yards (30-L.Landry).

3-8-WAS 8

(8:05) (Shotgun) 1-C.Newton scrambles right end to WAS 2 for 6 yards (59-L.Fletcher).

4-2-WAS 2

(7:34) 10-O.Mare 20 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-44-J.Jansen, Holder-7-J.Baker.

vs. Bills

1-10-BUF 19

(13:36) 22-F.Jackson up the middle to BUF 17 for -2 yards (91-R.Kerrigan).

2-12-BUF 17

(13:02) (Shotgun) 14-R.Fitzpatrick pass incomplete short right to 28-C.Spiller. Underthrown, receiver at BUF 14.

3-12-BUF 17

(12:56) (Shotgun) 14-R.Fitzpatrick pass short left to 13-St.Johnson to BUF 27 for 10 yards (26-J.Wilson). Caught in flat at BUF 27.

4-2-BUF 27

(12:18) 8-B.Moorman punts 45 yards to WAS 28, Center-65-G.Sanborn. 16-B.Banks to WAS 39 for 11 yards (51-C.White).

Our defense does it job in each of these cases; forces the opposing team to punt, or forcing them to kick a field goal

Then our offense comes out and does this.

vs. Philly

(13:55) 8-R.Grossman pass short left to 83-F.Davis to PHI 32 for 12 yards (29-N.Allen).

1-10-PHI 32

(13:19) 46-R.Torain right end to PHI 28 for 4 yards (59-B.Rolle; 42-K.Coleman). PENALTY on WAS-71-T.Williams, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at PHI 32 - No Play.

1-20-PHI 42

(12:57) 46-R.Torain left tackle to PHI 38 for 4 yards (42-K.Coleman; 59-B.Rolle).

2-16-PHI 38

(12:16) (Shotgun) 8-R.Grossman pass incomplete short left to 46-R.Torain.

3-16-PHI 38

(12:09) (Shotgun) 8-R.Grossman pass deep middle intended for 83-F.Davis INTERCEPTED by 42-K.Coleman [91-T.Laws] at PHI 3. 42-K.Coleman to PHI 3 for no gain (83-F.Davis). WAS-78-K.Lichtensteiger was injured during the play. His return is Questionable. PENALTY on WAS-71-T.Williams, Unnecessary Roughness, 15 yards, enforced at PHI 3. 78- Right Knee Injury

vs. Carolina

1-10-WAS 20

(7:31) (Shotgun) 12-J.Beck pass short left to 89-S.Moss to WAS 21 for 1 yard (50-J.Anderson).

2-9-WAS 21

(6:55) 25-T.Hightower right end to WAS 31 for 10 yards (53-J.Phillips).

1-10-WAS 31

(6:24) 12-J.Beck pass short middle to 89-S.Moss to WAS 47 for 16 yards (50-J.Anderson).

1-10-WAS 47

(5:41) 25-T.Hightower right end to CAR 47 for 6 yards (55-D.Connor).

2-4-CAR 47

(5:34) 25-T.Hightower left guard to CAR 40 for 7 yards (50-J.Anderson).

1-10-CAR 40

(4:57) 12-J.Beck pass incomplete deep middle to 83-F.Davis (50-J.Anderson).

2-10-CAR 40

(4:57) PENALTY on WAS-83-F.Davis, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at CAR 40 - No Play.

2-15-CAR 45

(4:53) (Shotgun) 12-J.Beck pass incomplete short right to 25-T.Hightower (93-A.Applewhite).

3-15-CAR 45

(4:49) (Shotgun) 12-J.Beck sacked at WAS 48 for -7 yards (93-A.Applewhite). FUMBLES (93-A.Applewhite), RECOVERED by CAR-97-T.McClain at WAS 48. 97-T.McClain to WAS 48 for no gain (58-E.Cook).

vs. Bills

1-10-WAS 39

(12:08) 46-R.Torain left guard to WAS 41 for 2 yards (92-A.Carrington; 99-M.Dareus).

2-8-WAS 41

(11:34) 46-R.Torain left tackle to WAS 43 for 2 yards (37-G.Wilson).

3-6-WAS 43

(10:56) 12-J.Beck pass short middle to 18-T.Austin to WAS 48 for 5 yards (21-L.McKelvin). Caught at WAS 48, crossing from right.

4-1-WAS 48

(10:11) 6-S.Rocca punts 32 yards to BUF 20, Center-57-N.Sundberg, fair catch by 28-C.Spiller.

Two turnovers and a three and out. Not a good way to start a game, it effectively kills your momentum, and gives the opposite team PLENTY of ammo to drive it down the field. And when our defense has caused turnovers that given us prime opportunity in the red zone in 2 of the last 3 games, both times we walked out of there with zero points to show for it.

That deflates a defense, trying to do IT'S job, while the offense can't do anything to help them.

TK knows one of my best buds, 49er Phil, who has been an SF fan for 45 years. He lurks here to read and has been laughing his ass off at how he sees so many of our posters "analyzing" SF's success. He's been going through more than 5 years of "rebuilding" in absolute misery (especially anguishing over taking Smith until this year), and stating (as I also know) that it's how absolute suck-ass that division is that has helped SF as much as anything. He also says he thought SFgate or whatever his team's fan site is was the only one that had so many retarded posters. :ols:

This is only relevant if you agree that we've been going through a 20+ year rebuild. No, your friend has gone through at least 2 failed rebuilds and 1 that in less than a year is looking pretty close to completion during a period where we've seen about 5. Over the last 20+ years, we've been through at least 8. The jury is still out whether attempt 8 will work.

I agree 100%. Look at some of the posts on here after a game. Look at some of the posts on here during FA. for all the things we bash Snyder for, we preach doing those things on here. Can't have it both ways

One thing you have to understand is that fans are allowed to be impatient. Fans are fans. We don't make the decisions. It's Dan Snyder's job to show some patience. Another thing to consider is that people pay good money to see this team lose year in and year out. So excuse some fans for not being so patient. We've all been told to be patient in the pass and where did that get us?

I know just about everyone loves Cooley, but it's easy for Cooley to sit there and tell everyone to be patient. He's getting paid a kings ransom whether they win or lose or whether he plays good or don't. Fans that pay a lot of money to go to the games have EVERY right to show their displeasure with the way this team has been playing. Are fans not supposed to boo either? I believe that was brought up by some players either last year or two years ago.

I think most of us are patient to a certain degree. Most don't want to see Shanny fired or anything like that, but we do want to see some progress and right now we're not seeing it.

I would also say Singletary while not a great head coach instilled some great stuff into that team...Harbaugh came into a good situation unlike Shanny.

Aren't you guys bummed at all about how terrible we looked the last 3 weeks? and Cooley trying to tell us to be patient?...hell man I just want to look somewhat respectable...NOW...Buffalo and Philly were embarrassing...

I wish I could have the faith and patience you have...I just find myself so skeptical and in a show it and prove it mood w this team...no patience...

Hopefully we can play well this weekend w who we have ready to go...I am thinking we get blown out...

I DO wish we would have played better the last few weeks, and I never like to see a team as dismally inept as Isaw Sunday on offense. That was painful.

But not entirely unexpected. I hate to admit it on my homer board, but i bet against us in each of the last 3 games.

We're just not ready yet, and with the injuries, we're even less so.

We can say that the defense is in place, and partly it is,, we've got the personel in most positions, but it needs time to grow and develop as well.

And besides, like i pointed out in this thread last night,, when we don't get smoked in the Time of Possession, this defense makes plays. Turns and closes games. It even scores. But keep threm on the field 35 minutes and it's different. Nevermind that they're trying to chase the likes of Michael Vick, LeSean McCoy, Cam Newton and Fred Jackson around. These guys are giving everyone fits.

Skepticism is understood, but knowing where we are is also to be understood.

While we look dysfunctional, figure that we're looking dysfyunctional on offense to backups being in the game in key positions,, namely the whole left side of the line.

defensively we've made some mistakes, but again, the level of competition has been high, and they're still young players.

Some things i don't like are LaRon Landry playing back to his 2009 "WTF is he doing" level. But I think that's him, not the scheme. He needs to get his head out of his ass, rather than trying to scheme around him having his head up his ass. OJ Atogwe has missed too much time.. he needs to be in there every game.

I like how Hall and Josh Wilson have played, all things considered.. we need to generate pressure,, and against Vick and Newton you can see how that can be used against us.. and Fitzpatrick has been getting Rypien-like protection back there.

So while i would hope to overcome it, I'm not shocked we didn't.

You know, I bet if you look back far enough, I believe I posted more than a few times when we were going out to play SF at the end of Zorn's tenure.. that we should just leave him there and hire Harbaugh from Stanford and fly him back with us right then and there.

I'm afraid this weekend we're not going to look much better.

And one more thought floating around to me.. can you imagine this board over the five years or so the niners have been trying to build this team? Especially after using a first overall pick in Alex Smith and watching him stink for so long?

I wonder if we'll have patience for our next QB like that.

~Bang

I DO wish we would have played better the last few weeks, and I never like to see a team as dismally inept as Isaw Sunday on offense. That was painful.

But not entirely unexpected. I hate to admit it on my homer board, but i bet against us in each of the last 3 games.

We're just not ready yet, and with the injuries, we're even less so.

We can say that the defense is in place, and partly it is,, we've got the personel in most positions, but it needs time to grow and develop as well.

And besides, like i pointed out in this thread last night,, when we don't get smoked in the Time of Possession, this defense makes plays. Turns and closes games. It even scores. But keep threm on the field 35 minutes and it's different. Nevermind that they're trying to chase the likes of Michael Vick, LeSean McCoy, Cam Newton and Fred Davis around. These guys are giving everyone fits.

Skepticism is understood, but knowing where we are is also to be understood.

While we look dysfunctional, figure that we're looking dysfyunctional on offense to backups being in the game in key positions,, namely the whole left side of the line.

defensively we've made some mistakes, but again, the level of competition has been high, and they're still young players.

Some things i don't like are LaRon Landry playing back to his 2009 "WTF is he doing" level. But I think that's him, not the scheme. He needs to get his head out of his ass, rather than trying to scheme around him having his head up his ass. OJ Atogwe has missed too much time.. he needs to be in there every game.

I like how Hall and Josh Wilson have played, all things considered.. we need to generate pressure,, and against Vick and Newton you can see how that can be used against us.. and Fitzpatrick has been getting Rypien-like protection back there.

So while i would hope to overcome it, I'm not shocked we didn't.

You know, I bet if you look back far enough, I believe I posted more than a few times when we were going out to play SF at the end of Zorn's tenure.. that we should just leave him there and hire Harbaugh from Stanford and fly him back with us right then and there.

I'm afraid this weekend we're not going to look much better.

And one more thought floating around to me.. can you imagine this board over the five years or so the niners have been trying to build this team? Especially after using a first overall pick in Alex Smith and watching him stink for so long?

I wonder if we'll have patience for our next QB like that.

~Bang

I hear ya Bang...HTTR...

That's been my biggest gripe about our fanbase. We complain all the time about Dan Snyder's decisions, but this board is filled with ideas that are just as bad as the ones he's made.

"Trade our next 5 drafts for Andrew Luck"

"Cut Landry midseason"

"Trade Orakpo while he still has value"

Sometimes I'm grateful that Snyder's our owner and not one of us.

Well the first part about Luck is nuts. You are right about that. But from that point on we diverge. I would be thrilled to deal Landry before the end of the year because he is a FA next year, and that could get messy. I sure do not want to sign him to big contract. Maybe some team will be fooled into thinking he is more then a one HIT wonder per game, and we could actually get some draft picks for him. Definitely trade the one trick pony Orakpo. He has one move, is hardly a threat to be reckoned with. He is no Ware for sure. He is not a game changer and I think we should try to get some draft picks for him. And to add to the list let's part ways with the 30 year old Otogwe...buh bye. And Dhall. Jettison him. If we can pick up the CB Cox who we just looked at, provided he does not go to jail, I am in. Not Washington though, the Ravens reject.

I love posts like this one. I get ready to ream you a new one and then notice that you are NNT already. So this isn't the first time you have been a dumbass. Once I see the NNT, I laugh and calm down because you are who we thought you were.

I read a few of your posts...you don't impress me either...in fact 99% are telling people how stupid they are...so you must be super smart I guess...

Well the first part about Luck is nuts. You are right about that. But from that point on we diverge. I would be thrilled to deal Landry before the end of the year because he is a FA next year, and that could get messy. I sure do not want to sign him to big contract. Maybe some team will be fooled into thinking he is more then a one HIT wonder per game, and we could actually get some draft picks for him. Definitely trade the one trick pony Orakpo. He has one move, is hardly a threat to be reckoned with. He is no Ware for sure. He is not a game changer and I think we should try to get some draft picks for him. And to add to the list let's part ways with the 30 year old Otogwe...buh bye. And Dhall. Jettison him. If we can pick up the CB Cox who we just looked at, provided he does not go to jail, I am in. Not Washington though, the Ravens reject.

"Get rid of four of our starters on defense! THAT'LL FIX THE DEFENSE!"

Stupid.

"Get rid of four of our starters on defense! THAT'LL FIX THE DEFENSE!"

Stupid.

Look at your own quote: " I WANT WINNERS I WANT PEOPLE WHO WANT TO WIN" The only D player's that are worth their salt are Fletcher and Kerrigan. I would scrap the rest and start over. Did you see the CB 's we brought in to try out? I am not the only one who thinks are CB's blow. DHall? Please. Unfortunately we have already invested in a 30 year old FS who is a one play per game safety. Our D was overrated and has been finally exposed against mobile QB's and teams that have a decent run game. Teams have figured us out. Especially the Bill's and Panthers. Run, run, run 1st half and then start throwing darts in the second half.

You know what? There is no hope for our secondary. Scratch. Start over.

This is only relevant if you agree that we've been going through a 20+ year rebuild. No, your friend has gone through at least 2 failed rebuilds and 1 that in less than a year is looking pretty close to completion during a period where we've seen about 5. Over the last 20+ years, we've been through at least 8. The jury is still out whether attempt 8 will work.

Darth, amigo, I don't see much of worth in your framing of the matter, though I know what point you're trying to make. But it certainly is as relevant as any other point anyone's trying to make in connecting our situations to SF's as a contrast. Your opinion of what's "relevant" doesn't hold much meaning to me. His owner has been trying to rebuild a winner for a once storied franchise that has sucked for a long time more often than not, just as ours has, in much the same manner: a carousel of coaches and players via draft and trades. To restate both his and my point, the NFC west has not sucked so bad in a long time, and that's saying a lot. This has a lot to do with the door being wide open for any team that's not a complete cluster**** to look good. And we both think SF is playing pretty good for now, even given their schedule (that division's playing the NFC East isn't like taking on a bunch of world-beaters, either). My friend's response (I keep trying to get him to join) isn't one I can repeat. :pfft: :ols:

He's fairly sure the wheels will fall off even if they make the play-offs with that schedule and their current record, because he's a lot like we are---all too ready for the worst to always be the bottom line. :(

Look at your own quote: " I WANT WINNERS I WANT PEOPLE WHO WANT TO WIN" The only D player's that are worth their salt are Fletcher and Kerrigan. I would scrap the rest and start over. Did you see the CB 's we brought in to try out? I am not the only one who thinks are CB's blow. DHall? Please. Unfortunately we have already invested in a 30 year old FS who is a one play per game safety. Our D was overrated and has been finally exposed against mobile QB's and teams that have a decent run game. Teams have figured us out. Especially the Bill's and Panthers. Run, run, run 1st half and then start throwing darts in the second half.

You know what? There is no hope for our secondary. Scratch. Start over.

I stand corrected.

"REPLACE ALL OUR STARTERS! THAT'LL FIX THE DEFENSE!"

Just keep telling yourself this.

Cooley's 100% on-point. Fans of this team are exactly the same as the owner they say they hate. Completely petulant and harebrained, there's no patience.

kinda easy for him (and certain others on the team) to say things like that, why? cause they want to save their jobs and big paychecks,,,patience? think we have been very patience with these over paid under achivers..what will he be saying 3 years from now when the team still sucks? we need to be patience? all we have heard from these players for the past 7 years or so is, we"re getting better. "we left too many plays out there" , or "the other team made more plays than we did"...tired of excuses,, just play better

attn herb mul-key :) :

<edited>

We have been experiencing notable increases of violations of Rule #11 and it needs to stop. Ridiculously enough, this violation is most often done with the reply adding only one or two brief phrases, usually of the "Yeah, me too" variety.

For some time we usually just edited out the long un-needed quote and posted the rule in the offending post, giving that edit as a warning. This has been a time consuming and apparently ineffective intervention.

So here's the deal, starting with a reminder of the rule:

11. Please do not use the “Quote” feature to quote large blocks of text or pictures or imbedded videos.

If you would like to respond to the contents of a particular post, simply quote the sentence or idea that you're commenting upon, not necessarily the entire post. It wastes space on the database and unnecessarily extends and clutters threads.

Members violating this rule should expect to receive a temporary ban or any other action deemed necessary by the ES Staff, depending on a member's user note (includes all rule violations) history.

Archived