Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFCE Blog - ESPN: Cooley Makes Sense... Let's be patient!

Tiberius TDA

That's is a great first post and HELL yeah Cooley is 100% correct. Everyone has these STUPID knee jerk reactions regarding the play calling and the players never stopping to take a look at what the hell is actually going on. We really do have stupid fans I think. Take a good look at THIS post: http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?357628-HogsHaven-A-Look-at-All-9-Sacks-by-the-Bills-Against-the-Redskins

It's the execution and players. NOT the play calling. Not the coaching staff.

Have patience with this staff. If they suck at the end of the 5 year contract then I'll start to agree with the chicken littlers. Until then SHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Maybe people will listen now that Cooley said it. The only thing that concerns me is the "Kyle is mike shanahan's son" part. But while the relationship there is concerning and the playcalling has appeared to be terrible, even the biggest Kyle critic has to admit that no offensive coordinator is going to run an effective offense with who we have. You can bring in a supercomputer with complicated algorithms to make the calls and Donte Stallworth is still going to get zero separation.

He is especially right about Haslett. Find me 1. a team whose defense has not embarrassed them at least several times this year- Steelers got blown out by Bmore, Dallas just got housed, to name two of the best- and 2. a team whose defense can "dominate" when the offense stinks and ToP is lopsided for the other team. Our defense is obviously broken in some ways but it is still one of the top 10 in the NFL (subjectively). How anybody can call for Haslett to get fired after that much progress has been made is astounding.

That's been my biggest gripe about our fanbase. We complain all the time about Dan Snyder's decisions, but this board is filled with ideas that are just as bad as the ones he's made.

"Trade our next 5 drafts for Andrew Luck"

"Cut Landry midseason"

"Trade Orakpo while he still has value"

Sometimes I'm grateful that Snyder's our owner and not one of us.

I don't think too many want Shanny to be fired, but the way they've played as of late is not acceptable. You can all say "be patient" all you want, but did any of you truely expected the Skins to be this bad in year two with Shanny?

I don't think too many want Shanny to be fired, but the way they've played as of late is not acceptable. You can all say "be patient" all you want, but did any of you truely expected the Skins to be this bad in year two with Shanny?

With the amount of injuries on the entire offensive side of the football, it is certainly expected.

"Acceptable" is a useless description. Do you think the players are satisfied? Do you think any of them accept this? Do you think they aren't trying?

this is the thing about football that guys like you seem to have a hard time grasping.

A football season is a fluid situation. Things happen that SHOULD temper or bolster expectation.

Injuries most specifically are one of the largest factors that determine a team's fate that they have no control over.

The Redskins are a young football team with many large holes that can only be filled with another offseason's worth of work, and maybe even another one after that.

You take a young team like this and pound it with injuries and you BETTER change your expectation. You take away an entire side of the OL and open two suspect (to be kind) QBs to relentless pressure, and you better know why it's happening, and factor it to your expectation. (And clue - it's not because those backup OL guys aren't trying.)

Or just continue to sound clueless.

~Bang

I predicted in the 6-10 or 7-9 range, we look like we're closer to 6 wins as opposed to 7. I knew that if injuries started to mount up we had the potential to look as bad as we did Sunday.

Nice to hear him say something of value and truth. Nice article but alot of us are patient. I don't come here much anymore because of all the PS3 GM's on the board that know more than any pro football coach. I said before the season we are a 8-8 team. So no panic here. Next year more quality drafted players and a few more FA's and we are that much better again. I think the GM did a good job in the off season and have no issues with the owner. The only time I hear about him is from people on the board, other than that, we haven't seen Synder much this year, just the way it should be. Hopefully by 2013 we can be legitmate contenders for the playoffs.

With the amount of injuries on the entire offensive side of the football, it is certainly expected.

"Acceptable" is a useless description. Do you think the players are satisfied? Do you think any of them accept this? Do you think they aren't trying?

this is the thing about football that guys like you seem to have a hard time grasping.

A football season is a fluid situation. Things happen that SHOULD temper or bolster expectation.

Injuries most specifically are one of the largest factors that determine a team's fate that they have no control over.

The Redskins are a young football team with many large holes that can only be filled with another offseason's worth of work, and maybe even another one after that.

You take a young team like this and pound it with injuries and you BETTER change your expectation. You take away an entire side of the OL and open two suspect (to be kind) QBs to relentless pressure, and you better know why it's happening, and factor it to your expectation. (And clue - it's not because those backup OL guys aren't trying.)

Or just continue to sound clueless.

~Bang

I wish that I could carry this post around my neck all day.

Cooley's 100% on-point. Fans of this team are exactly the same as the owner they say they hate. Completely petulant and harebrained, there's no patience.

The best thing we can do since we claim to be the most DIE HARD and loyal fans in the NFL is to be patient and support this team at the home games by going home with a broken voice box the eight Sundays (or Monday) we play at Fed Ex. I really do believe this team will find a way and a couple more drafts will make a huge difference for the years to come. HAIL!!

I didn't expect much more than this.

Anyone who did, didn't understand the gravity of the situation. Our team was/is depleted. It will take time.

Patience is the key.

Fans have to remember that Shanahan has really only had one FULL offseason to work with this team. We really can't count this offseason because of how the lockout messed things up. Particularly for what is a fairly young team like the Redskins have.

It is going to take time.

True, although I would expect even an injured team to not get goose-egged, especially against a team with a not-so-great defense like Buffalo.

But speaking of defense, I think that might be the larger concern. Not really many injuries on that side and we are getting owned. And its not all because the offense doesn't stay on the field. The Panthers and Bills were mashing our D pretty much from the get-go.

True, although I would expect even an injured team to not get goose-egged, especially against a team with a not-so-great defense like Buffalo.

But speaking of defense, I think that might be the larger concern. Not really many injuries on that side and we are getting owned. And its not all because the offense doesn't stay on the field. The Panthers and Bills were mashing our D pretty much from the get-go.

Keep in mind though the time lost with the lockout when Haslett was continuing to try and implement his version of the 3-4.

Not to mention guys like Atogwe, who the Redskins signed before the lockout, but never really got to work with his new teammates or his coaches until practically the last minute.

I think we have a lot of good pieces over there, but it is still coming together.

Very good post in the comments section of the page:

"if you've never lived in the d.c. area, let me say it's a very cynical place. every writer, news caster and local personality has it in spades. not just sports people either. but there are a ton of options around these parts when it comes to sports radio and television as well as a plethora of mildly to very talented writers. and even when they are writing/reporting/talking about positive things in a positive way, you can still see the sarcasm and ambivalence underneath it all. not one of them can hardly wait to explode all over the negatives and be the first or hundredth to say "i told you so" or "this is terrible just as i thought". and they love to whip up the fan base into a lather. it's this grotesque thing that feeds on itself and invites the truly stupid to call into radio shows and say things like "we need to fire the coach" and "why haven't we brought jamarcus russell in for a tryout?". i swear to god i heard that one yesterday.

thing is, this is why the rest of us were defending cooley so hard. because the intent of his statements were molded into something different than what they were intended and all he was doing was being himself. the same dude who said something you were able to mold to your satisfaction this time. to those of us who love the guy, he's just doing what he always does. says what he thinks to be true and doesn't give a damn who likes it or not."

Sorry for the lack of punctuation and capitalization, just cut and paste...

Archived