Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are we on a collision course for a Super Bowl rematch?

hail2skins

Halfway through the season and I can't help but think that, barring a big QB injury, we're going to see the same two teams in Indy in February that we saw in Dallas (Arlington) a year earlier.

Is there anyone in the NFC who is going to touch Green Bay? I can see the Packers losing this week to a Chargers team that should be pissed (if not shellshocked). And the Turkey Day game against Detroit will be interesting. But come playoff time, who is going to beat this team? Maybe Brees and the Saints, but they have been far too inconsistent.

In the AFC, if Pittsburgh gets HFA, its pretty tough to beat them at Heinz. The Chargers always wilt and the Ravens and Jets don't have QBs I trust. I'm not sure if Buffalo, Houston, or Cincy are there yet. Despite last week, the one guy I think could go into Pitt and get a win is Brady.

But right now, it looks like the first SB rematch since, what.........Dallas-Buffalo?

It's starting to look like it, because I don't see anyone beating the Packers. I don't trust the Ravens/Patriots, at all, and I don't think anyone else in that conference is a SB caliber team.

If both teams make the SB, I'd expect the same results pretty much. The Packers receivers are just too talented from 1-5/6. That's just too much to handle.

Still favouring a NE/ Green Bay shoot-out next February.

Hail.

If the Patriots can figure out how to play a complete football game without the defense stinking it up, or the offense struggling on 3rd down, I will go back to the Patriots. They have some issues though, we'll see how they do in the back half of the season.

Well, wait until December 11th, when the Patriots roll into town. Whatever problems they are having, they'll solve them against the Redskins and roll to play the Packers in the SB. Can't run, play the Skins. Can't pass, play the Skins. Can't stop the run, play the Skins. Can't stop the pass, play the Skins.

Well, wait until December 11th, when the Patriots roll into town. Whatever problems they are having, they'll solve them against the Redskins and roll to play the Packers in the SB. Can't run, play the Skins. Can't pass, play the Skins. Can't stop the run, play the Skins. Can't stop the pass, play the Skins.

I agree

:(

I'm not 100% sold on a rematch.

The Steelers have only beaten two teams with winning records the 4-3 Titans and the 5-2 Patriots. Neither of which run the ball very well. Their two losses came to teams that ran them over. 170 yards on the ground by the Ravens and 180 yards for the Texans.

The Packers on the other hand look unstoppable but I think the Eagles match up extremely well with them. If the Eagles can right their ship they could easily be the biggest threat to the Packers in the NFC post season.

Then you also have the 49ers. I don't know if they are for real or not but any team that can play defense and run the ball is has a chance to slow down a great QB. Couple that with the fact that this "running team" averages 26.7 points per game.

One potential problem I see with the Packers is that HFA may actually hurt them in the playoffs. Their passing game is incredible, but weather can be the great equalizer. And weather is likely to be a factor in Green Bay. Their lack of a running game could hurt them if they have to plan 2 home playoff games. IIRC, they didn't have any bad weather in last years postseason (the played outside in Philly and Chicago). Of course right now I don't see a team in the NFC that could challenge them, but a team with a great running game & run D may give them a problem in the post season.

Still favouring a NE/ Green Bay shoot-out next February.

Hail.

New England's defense is so so so awful.

---------- Post added November-2nd-2011 at 03:54 PM ----------

Then you also have the 49ers. I don't know if they are for real or not but any team that can play defense and run the ball is has a chance to slow down a great QB. Couple that with the fact that this "running team" averages 26.7 points per game.

Do you really want to bet on Alex Smith leading a team into Green Bay in the post-season?

---------- Post added November-2nd-2011 at 03:55 PM ----------

The Steelers are probably the most complete team in the AFC if they are healthy. I simply do not trust Joe Flacco at all in the post-season and I trust Roethlisberger completely in January. The problem for the Steelers is their health. They have no linebackers right now and their offensive line is still shaky.

One potential problem I see with the Packers is that HFA may actually hurt them in the playoffs. Their passing game is incredible, but weather can be the great equalizer. And weather is likely to be a factor in Green Bay. Their lack of a running game could hurt them if they have to plan 2 home playoff games. IIRC, they didn't have any bad weather in last years postseason (the played outside in Philly and Chicago). Of course right now I don't see a team in the NFC that could challenge them, but a team with a great running game & run D may give them a problem in the post season.

not everyday that someone says cold weather will be a detriment to Green Bay.

last year my predictions were PACKERS vs RAVENS... This year it was PACKERS vs PATRIOTS. i think the patriots are bound to make the superbowl again, its been like 6 years

Since '07, I've picked them every year, and every time they futz it up. I picked them again this year, but as of right now, I have my doubts.

The Patriots used to be a team that everyone was afraid of. They played tough, cerebral, blue collar defense. Now they are soft as ****. They have officially become a finesse team.

---------- Post added November-2nd-2011 at 09:15 PM ----------

And I really think the weather stuff is overblown. Jim Kelly/John Elway, Favre, etc all put up numbers in places where the temps started to get really low in the last half of the season. Heavy rain/wind are the only things that can really bog an offense down. The Packers are going to go on a campaign in January. If they each can be more consistent, only Philly/New Orleans stand a chance.

Archived