Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OL Discussion

ExtremeSkins Staff

Heres a realistic assessment of our OL needs for next year IMO

LT - Williams is not going anywhere

LG - With KL coming off an injury, we SHOULD be looking for a new starter

C - I suspect you will see Monty back in his nautral position next year

RG - Chester is not going anywhere. We gave him a pretty large contract last year, and he's still pretty young.

RT - This could go either way. We just gave him a large extension BUT Brown is older and been terrible, do they cut their losses and paythe dead cap space?

Lichensteiger should be a backup G/C, and he would be a pretty good one.

Cook should be a backup G/C

Locklear should be a backup OT, but with competition in pre-season

I will have to admit that Brown has been bad..:( But oh well. It would have been nice if EVERY SINGLE addition to the team was great. With the exception of Brown and Donovan, I can't think of any that are big misses. So there you go. (Beck/Grossman don't count because they didn't cost anything unless you were a big fan of Doug Dutch)

Shanny should use Sellers as a fullback instead of only use him for special teams. Why not put him closer to the line and let him help the o-line block better on running plays? We have nothing to lose by letting him play out this season then if you want to part ways with him in the off-season that is the coach's choice. How effective was our running game today? I missed the game while traveling down route 1 in Northern CA near Monterey.

Honestly Beck is only partially responsible for this mess. The offensive line looks truly pathetic. Almost as bad as it's been in the past 5 years.

Really? I think they are completely responsible. They were able to rush three guy's continually into our backfield. I think if I calculated correctly Beck had 2.35 seconds to make his progressions. Because they were able to rush only three guys to put Beck on his ass a total of 9+ times they were able to drop guy's back in coverage therefore making it impossible for Beck to have open receivers.

---------- Post added October-30th-2011 at 08:45 PM ----------

I hope Shanny realizes how bad he messed up when he overlooked the line this past offseason. I cant put much of this game on Beck. Four man rush totally whipped our line today. Offensive is a good description

Completely agree. What always makes me laugh is how most fans keeping moaning for a franchise QB, and forget that when the Skin's did have their greatness, they had the Hogs. Your O line makes or breaks you running game, your receiving game, so ultimately your QB play.

I mean the Skins won SB with different QB's, They did this because they had the Hogs. John Riggins was great because of the Hogs.

The offensive line is anemic. Buffalo Bills defensive linemen, linebackers, and safeties had one huge sack party today. Awful. Pitiful. Disgraceful. I haven't seen such poor play from the O-line in a long time. I know we are hurting, but come on. Regardless where a player is on the depth chart, he's still a professional. They looked like amateurs out there today.

So... the Skins get a couple of O-linemen hurt, and the offense utterly evaporates. Who could have seen that coming?

That's right: every Redskin fan on the planet.

As we speak, Bruce Allen should be making this solemn vow: "I, Bruce, will ensure that next year's team includes no fewer than 8 guys who can start on the OL. Three tackles, three guards, two centers."

This is more important than a franchise QB. No passer can survive behind the current collection of burgandy-and-gold turnstiles.

Fix the OL. Play Beck. Or Grossman. Or a project QB. Or put Terrence Austin in the Wildcat for a year. But fix the flipping OL.

guys, don't worry. We'll pick someone up in the draft, right? Oh wait.... The draft isn't good for OL, at least according to our front office. It good for the other 31 NFL teams, but because we run the zone blocking scheme we're ok with the trash of other teams. How's that working out? And we also don't need to worry about depth either.

Even though our O-Line is questionable, Beck didnt get rid of the ball. He waits to long

at times, you are correct. i wouldnt put a number on it, but there were a few times he held it. there were also, i think, more times where he got killed without having a chance.

we allowed 9 sacks. and we couldnt run the ball. there is no mystery as to what the problem was.

at times, you are correct. i wouldnt put a number on it, but there were a few times he held it. there were also, i think, more times where he got killed without having a chance.

we allowed 9 sacks. and we couldnt run the ball. there is no mystery as to what the problem was.

From what I saw today, Im surprised they didnt put Grossman in after Halftime. Its not just OL its WR's as well.

I want a legit "pro bowl" QB to build around. Theres no chance this team can come from behind. Our QB's are a joke, we knew this and wish we werent in the position we are now with our record. Oh well

Moving Montgomery from Center to guard was a mistake. The real problem is with cook. He is the one making the protection calls and routinely screws it up.

That being said, this is what happens when you keep 8 wr's and only 2 back up lineman. Artis Hicks would look real good right now.

Didn't get to see the game. Is this accurate?

Yup I specifically watched #76 on numerous plays. Just about every time he was creating a nice hole for Jackson to run through, or playing pretty good pass pro on Bowen. Good game outta Rinehart today, although I admit I haven't been paying too much attention to him throughout the season. I also wouldn't be surprised if he had his best game just because he's playing us, seems like a common theme the past couple of years, lol.

The line is awful. Montgomery needs to go back to center and we need to give somebody else a shot at guard. We weakened another spot my bringing in Cook. It also is nonsensical to keep brown at RT when he's a natural LT and play Locklear at LT when he's a natural RT. Real intelligence in play here.

Can we please reconstruct our line to be more like the Great Wall of China? It's pathetic seeing how many defenders penetrate our protecting line that. All we did this offseason was bring in one mediocre-to-above average left guard to be a starter. We also slacked when signing quality depth and brought it journeymen and players who lost a step.

This should be Shanahan's first priority next offseason.

Brown is horrible We sign Brown for 4.5m a year.Ravens sign Bryant McKinnie 3.5m a year

Next year 2 starters that will be FA

Kory Lichtensteiger (WAS) - OG

Will Montgomery (WAS) - OG

Leaves us Chester, brown and WIlliams. That means we have to draft/sign 4 OL next year as Chester is not starting material and Brown and Locklear are not NFL backup quality

The injury to Lichtensteiger may be a good thing for us as far as financial concerns go for the resigning... But then we're getting an injured LG back in the lineup, and ACLs aren't something that guys bounce right back from.

We need a LG, C, RG, RT/LT. Why the slash? Because if we could get a good LT, we can move Trent to the right side and solidify the line further. Either or works for me. But, essentially, we need an entire line minus Trent Williams... Montgomery is a good C if we can resign him for a reasonable sum, although an upgrade wouldn't be bad, I think it's the second to last spot we need an upgrade in.

Furthermore, I don't like Monty playing LG for us. If he's going to be our center going forward, he needs to play center and someone else needs to play LG. That leads me to believe he may not be in the plans to resign.

The injury to Lichtensteiger may be a good thing for us as far as financial concerns go for the resigning... But then we're getting an injured LG back in the lineup, and ACLs aren't something that guys bounce right back from.

We need a LG, C, RG, RT/LT. Why the slash? Because if we could get a good LT, we can move Trent to the right side and solidify the line further. Either or works for me. But, essentially, we need an entire line minus Trent Williams... Montgomery is a good C if we can resign him for a reasonable sum, although an upgrade wouldn't be bad, I think it's the second to last spot we need an upgrade in.

Furthermore, I don't like Monty playing LG for us. If he's going to be our center going forward, he needs to play center and someone else needs to play LG. That leads me to believe he may not be in the plans to resign.

I agree with you, but I personally think Willie Smith is someone that hopefully is closely looked at soon. I think he offers a solution.

Do you think Brown can play RG Dawg?

Archived