Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Romney/Ryan Lose 2012 Election Thread

@DCGoldPants

He's got this.

I'm thinking it's a lock he goes with someone with SOLID conservative "credentials" as his VP. I wonder who it'll be. And he's gotta be weary considering how Palin turned out in the same role.

So far I've heard people mention Newt (assuming he doesn't come in first) and Rubio as possible running mates.

But my sources on that so far are mainly limited to this site.

:)

Lol, as are mine.

I could see Rubio. I don't think conservatives really like Newt though. He's just the best non-Romney at this point, hence his recent bump.

(I gotta find another word than conservative. Using it is an insult to people like Friedman, Buckley, Reagan and Goldwater. What's a good name for people who supported Palin? Tea Partiers?)

He's got this.

I'm thinking it's a lock he goes with someone with SOLID conservative "credentials" as his VP. I wonder who it'll be. And he's gotta be weary considering how Palin turned out in the same role.

He'll likely try Rubio first. If not, he'll probably look to Bob McDonnell, governor of Virginia. A sleeper to watch for could Susana Martinez, governor of New Mexico, though I think she's a long shot.

You know, I don't know why everyone assumes Romney is a lock to beat Obama, Frankly, he seems like the candidate that Obama would find easy to destroy. Mitt's own flip flopping alone will hurt him in the fall and Obamacare aka Romneycare is a noose around his neck.

I don't see any enthusiasm for him. In the fall, he won't compell many to vote for him. Just anybody but Obama will not be enough. All you need to do to prevent Obama from enacting crazy legislation is give the Republicans complete control of both the House and Senate. Then we can have 2 to 4 more years of nothing.

Do people like McDonnell that much? I know he's not hated or anything, but I don't hear much about him period. Nothing like the love that Mark Warner got.

I suppose Romney could ask Warner to be his vp...I think that would make for some interesting explanations afterwards though.

:pfft:

You know, I don't know why everyone assumes Romney is a lock to beat Obama, Frankly, he seems like the candidate that Obama would find easy to destroy. Mitt's own flip flopping alone will hurt him in the fall and Obamacare aka Romneycare is a noose around his neck.

I don't see any enthusiasm for him. In the fall, he won't compell many to vote for him. Just anybody but Obama will not be enough. All you need to do to prevent Obama from enacting crazy legislation is give the Republicans complete control of both the House and Senate. Then we can have 2 to 4 more years of nothing.

Who the hell is assuming that Mitt is a lock to beat Obama? I haven't seen a single person here post that, nor have I seen it anywhere else.

I suppose Romney could ask Warner to be his vp...I think that would make for some interesting explanations afterwards though.

:pfft:

Lol, I'm just comparing Virginia governors.

Who the hell is assuming that Mitt is a lock to beat Obama? I haven't seen a single person here post that, nor have I seen it anywhere else.

Lol, I'm just comparing Virginia governors.

Oh, I should've clarified. I didn't mean most of the posters here. The Conventional Wisdom among some of the Republican establishment is that Romney is the best guy to beat Obama and many feel he is a lock.

I actually think Romney is probably one of the weakest to go up against Obama.

---------- Post added November-22nd-2011 at 02:39 AM ----------

Romney must be stopped. The Republicans must be stopped in 2012 at the presidential level and at the House. They don't deserve the presidency.

Obama needs to go but there is no option unless some independent candidate like Ron Paul or even Donald Trump were to run.

Do people like McDonnell that much? I know he's not hated or anything, but I don't hear much about him period. Nothing like the love that Mark Warner got.

His approval ratings are right in line with Warner. I don't think there is a great deal of passion over McDonnell, but his approval rating is high. The difference between Warner and McDonnell is that Warner inherited a mess from Jim Gilmore, while McDonnell inherited a relatively stable situation from Tim Kaine.

What's happened is that the Virginia Senate blocked many of the controversial bills passed by the Republican House from reaching McDonnell's desk, so he didn't have to sign any controversial laws. So McDonnell has been able to project a moderate image. He's a very conservative guy, but he's not a fire breather.

---------- Post added November-22nd-2011 at 06:55 AM ----------

Oh, I should've clarified. I didn't mean most of the posters here. The Conventional Wisdom among some of the Republican establishment is that Romney is the best guy to beat Obama and many feel he is a lock.

I actually think Romney is probably one of the weakest to go up against Obama.

There are conservatives that think anybody is a lock against Obama.

But those that think he's the most electable are right if you just compare him to the current field of candidates.

The theory is a sound one: conservatives will be fired up to vote out Obama that they will settle to vote for Romney because they have no other choice, while independents may not feel as threatened by a President Romney like they would be with somebody like Rick Perry or Herman Cain. The hope for Romney is that they look past his flip flops and lack of a core, and focus more on the competent business guy.

You seem to be in the group of conservatives that can't stand a guy like Romney, but unfortunately for you, most conservatives seem like they can tolerate him. They may not be fired up about him, and there will be some who stay home or vote third party, but most see him as somebody they could at least vote for over Obama. At least this is what polling is telling us.

Obama Campaign Blasts Romney's First TV Ad As 'Deceitful'

WASHINGTON -- Mitt Romney's first TV ad of the 2012 presidential campaign sparked immediate denunciations Monday night from President Obama's reelection campaign, which complained that the ad was "a deceitful and dishonest attack."

The 60-second Romney ad quoted Obama as saying, "If we keep talking about the economy, we're going to lose."

It sounds like Obama is talking about his own chances in 2012. But it's actually a clip of Obama mocking his 2008 opponent, Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz), for not wanting to talk about the economy in the final stretch of that election. McCain's response to the collapse of the financial sector in the fall of 2008 is widely cited as a contributing factor to his loss.

The full Obama quote, included in a Romney press release as part of an Oct. 16, 2008 speech at a Londonderry, N.H., campaign stop, was this: "Senator McCain's campaign actually said, and I quote, 'If we keep talking about the economy, we're going to lose.'"

The fast-moving ad does situate Obama's comment in 2008 by beginning with the statement on screen: "On Oct. 16, 2008, Barack Obama visited New Hampshire."

Obama's reelection campaign spokesman Ben Labolt called the Romney ad "a deceitful and dishonest attack."

More from the link.

Stupid Obama should now use Romney's use of Obama's use of McCain's words against him in a new ad...but make it seem like that's was Romney is saying. DUH!

I know politicians will say just about anything to win, but it seems like Romney is taking it to a whole new level. If anyone supports him here, I would like to know how you actually trust what he says.

I don't get this ad, but I trust him not to **** up the country as much as most the others would. lol

I don't think he's an idiot and he doesn't seem crazy.

---------- Post added November-22nd-2011 at 01:22 PM ----------

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/11/22/romney-names-possible-running-mate/

Romney names possible running mate

For the first time, GOP presidential front-runner Mitt Romney dropped a name for a possible running mate should he secure his party's nomination.

"There are probably 15 names of people, including (New Hampshire Sen.) Kelly Ayotte," Romney said in an interview on Fox News Monday night. "I mean, there are terrific Republicans in the Senate, in the House, in governors' offices."

The first-term senator was elected in 2010 with 60% of the vote and is seen as a strong conservative on issues of finance and defense. A former state attorney general, Ayotte voted against the debt deal hammered out in Congress this summer.

Asked who she thinks Romney should consider for vice president, Ayotte pointed to names already floating around in GOP circles: Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, House Budget Chairman Paul Ryan and Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell.

She also pointed to Gov. Susana Martinez of New Mexico as a strong candidate.

I don't get this ad, but I trust him not to **** up the country as much as most the others would. lol

I don't think he's an idiot and he doesn't seem crazy.

That really made me laugh. Romney's new campaign slogan: I won't **** up the country as much as the others would

I thought a chief complaint by Republicans was that Obama didn't have enough experience to be POTUS. How do Rubio, McDonnell and Martinez have enough experience to run the country. I mean, the primary job of the VP is to be ready at a moments notice.

Someone else mentioned it, but I'm also a believer that the whomever is the VP selection won't change the outcome of the race.

Someone else mentioned it, but I'm also a believer that the whomever is the VP selection won't change the outcome of the race.

Yeah, it used to be that a VP was picked, based on what kind of votes he would deliver.

LBJ got picked because the Democrats needed somebody who could get Texas, and the south in general, to vote for a Catholic Harvard guy from Boston.

But now days, I think the electorate has gotten wiser (at least, in this one, tiny, narrow, area), and they've realized that, unless you're gambling on a Presidential death, the VP contributes absolutely nothing to a ticket. And, therefore, the VP doesn't deliver any votes.

His approval ratings are right in line with Warner. I don't think there is a great deal of passion over McDonnell, but his approval rating is high. The difference between Warner and McDonnell is that Warner inherited a mess from Jim Gilmore, while McDonnell inherited a relatively stable situation from Tim Kaine.

What's happened is that the Virginia Senate blocked many of the controversial bills passed by the Republican House from reaching McDonnell's desk, so he didn't have to sign any controversial laws. So McDonnell has been able to project a moderate image. He's a very conservative guy, but he's not a fire breather.

---------- Post added November-22nd-2011 at 06:55 AM ----------

There are conservatives that think anybody is a lock against Obama.

But those that think he's the most electable are right if you just compare him to the current field of candidates.

The theory is a sound one: conservatives will be fired up to vote out Obama that they will settle to vote for Romney because they have no other choice, while independents may not feel as threatened by a President Romney like they would be with somebody like Rick Perry or Herman Cain. The hope for Romney is that they look past his flip flops and lack of a core, and focus more on the competent business guy.

You seem to be in the group of conservatives that can't stand a guy like Romney, but unfortunately for you, most conservatives seem like they can tolerate him. They may not be fired up about him, and there will be some who stay home or vote third party, but most see him as somebody they could at least vote for over Obama. At least this is what polling is telling us.

I'm not a conservative nor am I a liberal.

Romney is an empty suit with slick hair. He's a used car salesman who will do and say anything to get elected. The guy has no spine and Obama's team will destroy him by just playing his own words against him.

Archived