Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Romney/Ryan Lose 2012 Election Thread

@DCGoldPants

No. Everyone (or at least most) are partisan, so EVERYONE is to blame.

---------- Post added January-11th-2012 at 10:08 PM ----------

And Ive voted for Bill Nelson among others in FL.

McCain was the same guy, the difference is when he became the opposition, he became the enemy. So the few things that people on the left liked him for took a backseat to the core of his platform.

You know, it's one thing to admit you are biased and have a skewed worldview, but that ought to coincide with acknowledging that judgments of others' perspectives may also be skewed. And it's another thing to imply you are taking the responsibility when you are mostly just blaming everyone else.

Question for moderate Democrats.

If the "conservative" wing of the GOP hates Romney with the passion that they apparently hate him with, why dont you support him?

Is the far right of the GOP wrong about his Conservative credentials?

You're right ... if I had to pick among the Republican candidates, I'd probably choose Romney (except maybe Huntsman). At least his past has shown, he is willing to compromise.

Bujt I'm not going to support a GOP canidate because the "center" in American politics is "center right" almost anywhere else. I'm not sure if that view makes me a "moderate" or not, but thats the way I see it.

I'm betting Romney would support something like SOPA, which is a total travesty.

So Republicans/conservatives, should Romney should release his tax returns??

Why won’t Romney release his tax returns?

As Mitt Romney edges closer to the Republican presidential nomination, the imperative grows for the former Massachusetts governor to release his income tax returns and disclose the identities of the fundraising bundlers who have brought in millions for his campaign. Mr. Romney’s determined lack of transparency on these two fronts — the candidate and his campaign have said he has no plans to release either — represents a striking and disturbing departure from the past practice of presidential candidates of both parties.

Asking candidates to make their tax returns public is undoubtedly an invasion of privacy. But it is one that comes with the territory of a presidential campaign. Such disclosure is not required by law but, as with the voluntary release of tax filings by the president and vice president, it has become routine, if at times grudging and belated

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/why-wont-romney-show-his-money-trail/2012/01/11/gIQAcSZ5qP_story.html?hpid=z2

I think that most Dems dislike Romney simply because he has an R in front of his name. Claiming he is a phony is a way of justifying their own partisanship.

At the same time, you wont find many GOPers who will honestly tell you they dont like O because of the D in front of his name. And Im certain you would here some of them tell you the "reason" is really because he's a phony.

McCain was every Democrats hero until he became the nominee.

Pointing out with kindness: The hard part about reading a heavy partisan's take on D vs. R is that it inevitably amounts to nothing more than "MY party's hatred for THEIR side is righteous and THEIR party's hatred for MY side is mere partisan contrivance."

And they only dig in deeper with every subsequent attempt.

If the quoted accounts above truly reflect what you're seeing and hearing, then you must be traveling in some awfully small, confined social circles.

a interesting perspective

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/287707/battle-bain-capital-michael-walsh

Why Romney's vulnerable

But the public — after decades of enduring pixel-pushing Masters of the Universe, corporate crooks engaged in liar’s poker as they loot the suckers, convicted felons who try to manipulate the American political system, and other assorted enemies of the people — is rightfully suspicious of men who make millions off the lives and fortunes of others and then act as if they’ve accomplished something unique and original.

And that’s why Mitt’s vulnerable — and why a knee-jerk defense of “capitalism” as if it’s synonymous either with finance or “creative destruction” is so dangerously tone deaf heading into this crucial election. For it doesn’t matter that the Obama administration is practically a revolving door of Wall Street hacks. It doesn’t matter that President Goldman Sachs himself is a magnificent hypocrite on the subject, denouncing the “one percent” while he takes $4 million vacations and parties with Johnny Depp.

What matters is that the Democrat-Media Complex continues to push the meme that Republicans are the friends of and apologists for corporate hijinks. And that Romney, fairly or unfairly, is going to get tarred for the sins of others. Which he why he needs to hear this now, from our side, before he blithely wanders into the Axelrod meat grinder.

Yes. If for no other reason than it gives the appearance of impropriety.

He should release them in grand fashion in a presser and then ask Obama to release things that he hasnt yet (and no, im not talking about his birth certificate).

Yes. If for no other reason than it gives the appearance of impropriety.

He should release them in grand fashion in a presser and then ask Obama to release things that he hasnt yet (and no, im not talking about his birth certificate).

Obama released tax returns going back to I think 2000 as a candidate so to what are you referring?

Obama released tax returns going back to I think 2000 as a candidate so to what are you referring?

College transcripts and papers. Articles etc from Law Review.

People want Romney to release his tax returns because they think their will be things therein they can beat him up with. Other people believe the same thing about these records of Obama's.

Good for the goose.......

People want Romney to release his tax returns because they think their will be things therein they can beat him up with. Other people believe the same thing about these records of Obama's.

You are comparing apples to oranges and I'm sure you know that. If Romney releases his college transcripts and all his papers, etc, than he can ask Obama to release his transcripts.

McCain was every Democrats hero until he became the nominee.

This is a clever argument, but it is not accurate.

Prior to 2008, I admired John McCain for his integrity and his service to the country, but I never would have voted for him for President because he had a multi-decade record of being one of the most conservative members of the Senate.

---------- Post added January-12th-2012 at 11:54 AM ----------

It's fascinating how conservative memes slip into the conversation. Kilmer is repeating the line that Obama has been more secretive about his personal papers than other Presidents, that there must be "something to hide" and suggesting that Romney call him out on it.

Please tell me, which other Presidents or candidates have EVER released their "college papers." They don't even release their college transcripts - in the past, when those have come out, they generally have been leaked by third parties. There are no hidden articles for Law Review - when you are elected President of a Law Review, you spend all your time monitoring and editing all of the articles everyone else writes.

Obama has been just as open about his past as everyone else. The fact that conservatives say, over and over, that he is hiding something is part of the annoying conservative echo chamber effect, nothing more.

"Once I get control of America I will carefully review our assets and liabilities. I will sell off the assets to private companies and / or foreign countries for a tidy profit. I will create some subsidiary countries by removing some states from the union and then moving our liabilities to those subsidiary countries and then selling those countries at a loss, but recovering the loss on our tax filings. Then I will fire all government workers and hire half of them back as contract hires so we don't need to pay them any healthcare or overtime. Trust in me, America. I will make America work like a modern corporation. I know what it takes."

Stole this, but I find it rather humorous.

This is a clever argument, but it is not accurate.

Prior to 2008, I admired John McCain for his integrity and his service to the country, but I never would have voted for him for President because he had a multi-decade record of being one of the most conservative members of the Senate.

---------- Post added January-12th-2012 at 11:54 AM ----------

It's fascinating how conservative memes slip into the conversation. Kilmer is repeating the line that Obama has been more secretive about his personal papers than other Presidents, that there must be "something to hide" and suggesting that Romney call him out on it.

Please tell me, which other Presidents or candidates have EVER released their "college papers." They don't even release their college transcripts - in the past, when those have come out, they generally have been leaked by third parties. There are no hidden articles for Law Review - when you are elected President of a Law Review, you spend all your time monitoring and editing all of the articles everyone else writes.

Obama has been just as open about his past as everyone else. The fact that conservatives say, over and over, that he is hiding something is part of the annoying conservative echo chamber effect, nothing more.

No no no P. YOU are now slipping in a meme (love that btw). Romney would fit your exact definition of "as everyone else" at this point in a campaign.

I dont think Obama is hiding anything, nor do I think Romney is. But I think both sides think they can find something damaging if given unfettered access. And they KNOW that asking :what is he hiding" over and over can be just as damaging.

Again, good for the goose....

---------- Post added January-12th-2012 at 03:10 PM ----------

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/12/obama-campaign-pounces-on-matt-romney-joke-as-evidence-father-pandering-to-dead-ender-fringe-extremists/

Neither President Obama nor Mitt Romney has released college grades. Then-Senator Obama released his tax returns mid-way through the Democratic primary process, in March 2008; Romney has refused to do so.

At this point in the 08 race, Obama hadnt released his tax returns.

No no no P. YOU are now slipping in a meme (love that btw). Romney would fit your exact definition of "as everyone else" at this point in a campaign.

I dont think Obama is hiding anything, nor do I think Romney is. But I think both sides think they can find something damaging if given unfettered access. And they KNOW that asking :what is he hiding" over and over can be just as damaging.

Again, good for the goose....

Of course everyone wants something to pounce on. But you were changing the parameters to include (for Obama only) such matters as "college papers." I see that demand everyday on Free Republic, and it's just a dumb meme that draws from the same well that the birthers drink from.

No Presidential candidate has ever been asked to divulge his or her Sociology 101 essay on Emil Durkheim and Max Weber.

Of course everyone wants something to pounce on. But you were changing the parameters to include (for Obama only) such matters as "college papers." I see that demand everyday on Free Republic, and it's just a dumb meme that draws from the same well that the birthers drink from.

No Presidential candidate has ever been asked to divulge his or her Sociology 101 essay on Emil Durkheim and Max Weber.

And at this point in 08 Obama hadnt released his Tax returns either. So those asking Mitt to do so are changing the parameters as well.

FTR, I dont care about Obamas transcripts etc. Im pointing out that the people asking to see them are doing so for the same reasons the people are asking for Mitts tax returns.

And at this point in 08 Obama hadnt released his Tax returns either. So those asking Mitt to do so are changing the parameters as well.

FTR, I dont care about Obamas transcripts etc. Im pointing out that the people asking to see them are doing so for the same reasons the people are asking for Mitts tax returns.

Well, if that's the case, your point got lost back there for a bit. It happens. :whoknows:

I agree with this more narrow point.

Then-Senator Obama released his tax returns mid-way through the Democratic primary process, in March 2008; Romney has refused to do so.

At this point in the 08 race, Obama hadnt released his tax returns.

So if Romney doesn't release his tax returns by March you will start calling for him to do so?

So if Romney doesn't release his tax returns by March you will start calling for him to do so?

Will I? No because I care as much about his as I cared about Obamas.

I think he SHOULD do it now just to take knife away from his enemies.

Until March though, will you condemn those who are calling for it?

Curious about one thing. Romney ran for President last time,and was the front runner for a while. Did he ever release his tax returns back then, or (even more importantly) a list of donation bundlers?

I thought the whole reason he isn't doing it is because he has money and business interests offshore to avoid paying taxes on it?

Not true? Doesn't matter now......it sounds like it is.

Archived