Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Andrew Luck unimpressed by fans hoping losses lead to drafting him

Folk are reluctant to say it for fear of having their fanhood questioned in some holier-than-thou B/S way; but I'd happily lose the next 12 straight if 3-13 would get us the top slot. This developing young team, with a QB of the calibre of an Andrew Luck to lead them and one or two other pieces would be devastating.

Hail.

I think you misinterpret it, people are stunned to silence at the utter stupidity of that plan, not reluctant to speak.

I think you misinterpret it, people are stunned to silence at the utter stupidity of that plan, not reluctant to speak.

Upon reflection I see your point.

Finishing 6-10 to around .500 has served this franchise SO well the last two decades.that I can't believe I thought the same again wouldn't be better than a home run hitter under center.

My bad. Now I have seen the error of my ways I retract my post you quoted.

Hail.

Because laying down and not competing in order to get one player, regardless of how good he may be, is about as dishonorable as one can get in an organized sport.

I understand pulling the starters and playing young guys at the back end of a lost season (like, if you're 1-7 and obviously out of it) but you do not explicitly say that you are tanking.

Upon reflection I see your point.

Finishing 6-10 to around .500 has served this franchise SO well the last two decades.that I can't believe I thought the same again wouldn't be better than a home run hitter under center.

My bad. Now I have seen the error of my ways I retract my post you quoted.

Hail.

:ols: you so funny!

C'mon GHH, we all know how much you invested in this scheme prior to the season but seriously, how can you convince yourself that taking a dive is not a negative thing that will have implications down the road?

:ols: you so funny!

C'mon GHH, we all know how much you invested in this scheme prior to the season but seriously, how can you convince yourself that taking a dive is not a negative thing that will have implications down the road?

No more negative implications than finishing around .500 and being stuck in the same cycle of everything good we have falling apart due to the mediocrity under center.

Hail.

Interesting comment by the lad. If he was saying what "he's supposed to say",then he wouldn't have just called a segment of fans "stupid." That's a no no. :nono: What he probably should have said,and he'll learn this fast in pros, should have been something a little more diplomatic.

"Yes I have heard of that,(little smile for the camera). While I appreciate those fans believing that I would be capable enough to come in and turn around their favorite team,I also keep in mind that it's a team sport. I would be honored to be a part of any team that believes in me enough to draft me so that I may them,especially my future teammates,win games."

Or something along those lines. He's young yet and speaking rather bluntly as young athletes can do. I believe he meant what he said.

serious question:

Was the hype for Peyton this big?(since he's the biggest prospect since peyton etc) Technologically you would have to say no. .

Not at all, because the huge question was whether to draft Manning or Ryan Leaf.

There is no question in this draft.

And as it turned out, there was no doubt about it.. but for a while after the draft the talk was whether or not they had made the right choice.

In fact, the last time i recall a QB being the consensus number one was.. David Carr?

~Bang

Here's to hoping that Luck pulls an Elway or a Eli Manning and refuses to play for a team sucky enough to get Lucky :silly:

Who? The Colts? Because it looks pretty evident that they are "tanking the season" to have Luck step in as soon as Peyton retires.

Is it smart/strategic? Yes,maybe...Is it in the heart of the game? Absolutely not. But if they are indeed tanking the season to ensure being very competitive for the next 10+ years again,after Peyton, whos to say its not smart?

Thats why im in favor,and always has been,not just because of Luck, for a lottery of sorts. 8 worst teams qualify for the lotto and the rest of the teams draft per record.

No more negative implications than finishing around .500 and being stuck in the same cycle of everything good we have falling apart due to the mediocrity under center.

Hail.

Peace, we ought to be gettin' our rah-rah on for a crucial game shortly instead of rehashing this, so I surrender :pfft:

It's so over it feels like someone wanting to argue about hanging chads again

Interesting comment by the lad. If he was saying what "he's supposed to say",then he wouldn't have just called a segment of fans "stupid." That's a no no. :nono: What he probably should have said,and he'll learn this fast in pros, should have been something a little more diplomatic.

"Yes I have heard of that,(little smile for the camera). While I appreciate those fans believing that I would be capable enough to come in and turn around their favorite team,I also keep in mind that it's a team sport. I would be honored to be a part of any team that believes in me enough to draft me so that I may them,especially my future teammates,win games."

Or something along those lines. He's young yet and speaking rather bluntly as young athletes can do. I believe he meant what he said.

You summed it up very well PCS. He meant what he said, and I happen to agree with him.

As far as the hype around him, I cannot remember any QB being this hyped. He has been hyped up for over 2 years! A lot of GM's saying they have never seen anything like him, etc. I do not think we have a chance at him, but I don't think that is a bad thing. I think there are other QBs in the draft that we would do well with as well.

Who? The Colts? Because it looks pretty evident that they are "tanking the season" to have Luck step in as soon as Peyton retires.

:rotflmao:

sorry,, all credibility is now gone.

NFL professionals don't tank seasons. Period.

~Bang

Unless he don't want to play for that team or fans?

Big picture vs small picture. A loss on the field vs. a win on the roster can be a good thing.

He is not the be all end all. Take a look at the Colts...the great Peyton Manning...how many super bowls?

He has the same amount as Mark Rypien, Doug Williams and Joe Theismann. No team is built around 1 player.

He is not the be all end all. Take a look at the Colts...the great Peyton Manning...how many super bowls?

He has the same amount as Mark Rypien, Doug Williams and Joe Theismann. No team is built around 1 player.

He may only have one Super Bowl ring, but how many times did the Colts win 10+ games or have a first round bye? That's the value of a franchise QB. There is no guarantee you'll win a SB but you'll have a chance every year. Now without Manning they're winless and will probably be picking in the top 3 if not #1.

It would be hard to tank. A lot of players have incentives they want to meet to get bonuses. No way you get guys to forgo money for a better draft pick. You gonna pay those players under the table? Also, lets say the coach asks a player to tank who does not want to tank, you get rid of him for not tanking the following season, how are you gonna be sure he doesn't rat you out that you asked him to play bad on purpose?

Plus, how many players on each side of the ball would have to play bad on purpose to get a loss? How convincing can they make it that it doesn't look like they aren't playing bad on purpose? How long can you hold off the fans when they start calling for the jobs of bad players?

How can you justify keeping a coach who just won only one or two games?

Now maybe at the end of the season you'll see players mailing it in. That could very well happen. I think we've seen it here with Redskins players. I don't think a team can tank a whole season, though.

Don't bother. Those were anomalies that can never happen again. #1 Draft Pick "Franchise" QB's always deliver multiple Super Bowls.

:rolleyes:

It would be hard to tank. A lot of players have incentives they want to meet to get bonuses. No way you get guys to forgo money for a better draft pick. You gonna pay those players under the table? Also, lets say the coach asks a player to tank who does not want to tank, you get rid of him for not tanking the following season, how are you gonna be sure he doesn't rat you out that you asked him to play bad on purpose?

Plus, how many players on each side of the ball would have to play bad on purpose to get a loss? How convincing can they make it that it doesn't look like they aren't playing bad on purpose? How long can you hold off the fans when they start calling for the jobs of bad players?

How can you justify keeping a coach who just won only one or two games?

Now maybe at the end of the season you'll see players mailing it in. That could very well happen. I think we've seen it here with Redskins players. I don't think a team can tank a whole season, though.

Exactly.

Plus, there is no guarantee that any player will play again next year. Injury can happen at any time. Teams can cut any player at any time for any reason. Players will not risk their careers over a draft pick for a team that they may not play for in a year.

Some guys will be there.. Freeney.. Mathis.. but would they tank? I say the answer is hell no, and not only that, but whoever suggests it to them better be wearing body armor when they do it.

~Bang

Here's to hoping that Luck pulls an Elway or a Eli Manning and refuses to play for a team sucky enough to get Lucky :silly:

Yeah wouldn't it be funny if he refuses to play in Denver with Elway pulling the strings there doing what he can to fix it so the Broncos suck by trying to trade their leading WR B Lloyd?

:ols:

Yeah, I'd say you're right,, and the idiot Irsay would probably get behind it.

but the players.. pro players don't lose on purpose.

~Bang

Of course, but it seems like they are holding out Peyton Manning. I understand he has a neck injury, but towards the beginning of the season he was going to be ready in a couple of weeks. Now he might not see the field at all? I know, I know conspiracy theory lol.

Archived