Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Proper etiquette when visiting Fed Ex Field

Burgold

I'll try one last time (cause honestly I don't care that much, but I do think it's disrespectful)

Fans of two or more teams go to a stadium. The National Anthem is played. That's not about the Redskins or the Eagles. It's not about the O's or the Caps. It's about all of us. It's a moment of unity before the competition to salute the flag and country.

Making the Star Spangled Banner an ode to the O's or any other group is in poor taste because the song is not about any team, but about all of us. It's bigger than the team or Maryland loyalty or anything of that ilk.

After the anthem, we return to our friendly or bitter rivalries, but during the showing of the colors and the singing of that song we are meant to be one.

I'll yell, "O," all I want at Fedex. It is just natural and shows Orioles Pride.

Well, at least you're honest that you are expressing your "Orioles Pride".

At a football game.

A sport that the Orioles don't play.

At least it beats the other excuse: "I'm an idiot, and I'm going to FOREVER be an idiot. Because, damn it, no one is going to tell me what to do!"

I guess that one is more Idiot Pride than Orioles Pride.

agree with burgold.

what i dont get is the people that say 'this is the way it is, why complain about it'?

how silly. if everyone took that advice, nothing would ever change.

nothing worse than someone being annoyed about someone being annoyed.

---------- Post added October-12th-2011 at 08:48 PM ----------

Well, at least you're honest that you are expressing your "Orioles Pride".

At a football game.

A sport that the Orioles don't play.

At least it beats the other excuse: "I'm an idiot, and I'm going to FOREVER be an idiot. Because, damn it, no one is going to tell me what to do!"

I guess that one is more Idiot Pride than Orioles Pride.

man, i hate to say this, but i think its partly a generational (age) thing. not the saying of "o" but the defense of it. much like the defense of public cursing (or lack thereof). i try to remember i did some really dumb things when i was young.

the arrogance and carelessness of young people as you get older is really frustrating.

agree with burgold.

what i dont get is the people that say 'this is the way it is, why complain about it'?

how silly. if everyone took that advice, nothing would ever change.

nothing worse than someone being annoyed about someone being annoyed.

---------- Post added October-12th-2011 at 08:48 PM ----------

man, i hate to say this, but i think its partly a generational (age) thing. not the saying of "o" but the defense of it. much like the defense of public cursing (or lack thereof). i try to remember i did some really dumb things when i was young.

the arrogance and carelessness of young people as you get older is really frustrating.

The same defense is used by all the other generation of O's fans that I know. And what is the defense of public cursing? Freedom of Speech? It's a little overdramatic to compare cursing in public such as saying it around children to saying a letter during the SSB. One is incredibly disrespectful, while the other is up for debate.

To that sincere fan who said he was looking for tips.

1. Get to the game early... There are some great traditions that start an hour before kickoff (marching band, Redskinettes, etc.) catch it. The pomp is cool and if it's your first game you really should be a part of all of it.

2. Go to a tailgate before that. There's something amazing about the brotherhood and goofing around an meeting the psuedonymous friends, allies, and even some of the dastardly folks you've been reading. More, it's just fun to drink, chat, eat. The food is often better at the Tailgates than in the stadium, but don't be a mooch, bring something or ask how you can contribute.

3. Be loud on defense and respectful on offense.

4. If you have to go to the bathroom you've drunk too much beer. Slow down. More importnantly, time your exits to take place during the huddles or commercial breaks. Remember, the average football play lasts less then eight seconds, but the huddle lasts forty. You don't have to block anyone's vision or enjoyment of the game.

5. As was said, know the words to and sing "Hail to the Redskins"

6. You paid a bunch for that seat and are entitled to boo, cheer, razz. Make yourself heard. Some say you shouldn't boo your own team. I don't like to, but if it's in the moment and it's heartfelt there's nothing wrong with it.

7. On the other hand, everyone else paid a bunch of money for their seats. Don't be a jerk or an *******. Don't get violent or abusive.

8. Cause false start and delay of game penalties for the enemy.

9. If you're smart... carpool or better yet take Metro... if you have to drive add two hours mentally to your drive time.... and really, you should only drive if you are planning to bring major stuff for the tailgate or have a disability.

10. Don't complain about the money. You know where you are. All venues, amusement parks, etc. charge too much. It's a part of the experience. If you choose to buy a twelve dollar burger and a fifty dollar can of diet sprite enjoy it. Don't whine that they're ripping you off. You're in charge of your pockets.

I'll try one last time (cause honestly I don't care that much, but I do think it's disrespectful)

Fans of two or more teams go to a stadium. The National Anthem is played. That's not about the Redskins or the Eagles. It's not about the O's or the Caps. It's about all of us. It's a moment of unity before the competition to salute the flag and country.

Making the Star Spangled Banner an ode to the O's or any other group is in poor taste because the song is not about any team, but about all of us. It's bigger than the team or Maryland loyalty or anything of that ilk.

After the anthem, we return to our friendly or bitter rivalries, but during the showing of the colors and the singing of that song we are meant to be one.

Amen, Burgold! You'll have three-plus hours to yell and scream. It's not hard to just be quiet for two minutes to remember those who died before us to make this country great.

---------- Post added October-13th-2011 at 01:37 PM ----------

Ill yell O all I want... If anything its singing along with the anthem and being proud...=

It's disrespectful to the singer and protocol dictates that you sing along "quietly and respectfully." Yelling "Oh!" makes you look like an idiot.

I'm not going to wade through all 8 pages. But don't stand in front of a fellow fan when a play is going on. Wait 'til the play is over before you exit the row and when coming back keep your eye on the game and kneel down when a play is on. It shows you have respect for the game, your fellow fans and you've been to a pro football game before. (You might have to remind a vendor or two of this too.)

For God's sake don't scream and cheer when the Redskins are in the red zone trying to score. (It's OK right after the play has ended but shut it as soon as the team gets back to the huddle.)

Agree with Burgold about the high fiving anyone with Skins gear on and razzing anyone with the opposing team's colors on.

Be nice to the people that work there. Don't leave the game early if you can help it and try to be back in your seat when the 3rd quarter starts.

Hail!

5. As was said, know the words to and sing "Hail to the Redskins"

They started playing the recorded version over the PA in the Pittsburgh pre-season game after the first score. The rest of the game they would let the band play. More people seem to sing during the recorded version, or at least attempt it. My brother-in-law has been going with me since last season, and he's almost got it down.

When I was a growing up in Sterling, VA, we learned the pledge of allegience on the first day of kindergarten, and no ****, the second day we all learned hail to the Redskins. It would be awesome if we could all sing this, and show the young kids on the squad how it's done here.

Great point, Burgold.

I'm starting to think my father and I are the only people from the DC Area that actually waited for a baseball team to come to Washington.

Was totally worth it. Never gave a damn for anything to do with the O's or anything else Baltimore sports. Keep that "O" crap in the 410. FedEx maybe in Maryland but it's in our side of the yard and you know it.

Also, I second the sentiment about learning the words to Hail to the Redskins. There's a video on youtube from '91 when we beat the Lions to go to the Super Bowl and you could hear everyone at RFK singing. Sends shivers down my spine every time I hear it. Shame I wasn't at the stadium for that game. :(

You and the others that carry on this "tradition" should stay home until the Orioles are playing again then you can wander your happy asses up to Baltimore and yell "O" until your eyes bleed. We've had this discusssion a number of times

and it always ends the same, those of us that do not yell "O" think that those of you do are freakin' morons and vice versa.

There's no happy ending here, unless of course you'd like to start singing "Hail to the Redskins" or light a red light and sound the goal horn when the Orioles score a run.

Oh, I got it, why don't we start doing this tomahawk chop thing when we are on defense, that's somebody else's tradition too, right?

or how about we just hoot and holler the whole time the anthem is being sung, that belongs to someone else too, right?

or maybe the Redskins can come running onto the field while Enter Sandman is blaring over the PA?

Wow, this tradition thing can be fun! Who knew?!?

and for the record: The Ravens fans do it at Mullet & Trailer stadium. Not only that but they do it louder and prouder than people at FedEx. Which I still find to be a dumb tradition and they can actually see Camden Yards.

Really? What are you 12?

you know why O is still in fashion, their team in nonexistent, its the only thing to get people to remember them lol

Lol, I thought about joking about the state of the Orioles but I felt it'd be too mean and sort of irrelevant but what the hell.

However, we all must thank Baltimore for keeping the Red Sox out of the postseason.

But 4real dawg, keep dat up in da 410.

Archived