Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This is a Psychological Nightmare for Right Minded Redskins Fans This Week

kleese

To me, this is one of those games that seriously tests the coaching staff. They need to field a focused group that isn't worried about last year or anyone being "due" or anything except playing the game. With two weeks to prepare, if they can do it this is the time to prove that.

There is simply no way that Philly can be completely focused, the media attention on their expectations and the disastrous results so far will be lurking in their heads, but I do anticipate a certain measure of "These guys? We can absolutely smoke THESE guys!" in the beginning. I will settle for a scoreless first quarter even, because that works in our favor, let those doubts bubble n brew.

Both teams have their flaws and weaknesses, but I see us going in with one thing that they cannot have, we are playing w/ house money like you noted, a loss for us and no one is shocked, it doesn't derail our season, while a loss for Philly is a dagger in the heart. Let's see what a home crowd with their first taste of genuine success in a long time can do for the team's psychology. An early pick or big sack by the D and they could catch fire and burn the Eagles to the ground.

If there's a psychological nightmare here it is theirs, that's the way I'm lookin' at it until proven otherwise.

I don't see how we can lose this game. It should be an absolute blow out too and I'll be disappointed if it's close.

We are crushing QBs and they not only can't seem to stop that from happening, but their POS QB is god awful under pressure, so we should be able to capitalize on that.

We are running the ball very well and they can't stop the run to save their lives, let alone their season.

But mostly, they have it coming. They are playing with no heart, they know their season is all but over before it even started and this will be the final nail in their coffin and they know it. We all remember their ass beating they handed us last year and so does our team. They're suppose to be the cream of the crop in the division this year and even some Redskin fans still worry about them.

We will crush the Eagles and I have no doubt in my mind. This will be a humiliating loss for them too and the tide will turn in our favor after this week.

Gibbs' first run was amazing. A true leader of men and a great person was in charge. I never thought it would end.

I watched the team in between Gibbs' two runs and it was full of false hope. Every year I would look at our acquisitions and declare that we would be great now. We always failed.

Gibbs came back, and I thought that meant we would be World Champions again, but that didn't work out. I was happy to be competitive again, and loved the playoff runs.

That Zorn thing though, that kinda broke me. I turned on the TV on Sunday with only one hope, please don't embarrass me. I just wanted to see professional football and they didn't provide it. I had little hope of winning, after his 6-2 start collapsed that first year. Eventually I realized we couldn't win with that FO, so I just wanted to be proud of my team for something. For me that was the nightmare.

The Nightmare ended the day Vinny was fired. Bruce Allen is my hero.

Mike Shanahan has me believing anything is possible. I'm not worried about being embarrassed anymore, that seems to be behind us now. I guess Philly could still put up 59 on us, but I doubt it.

I'm having fun this season, win or lose. I believe we have the right formula to build a contender, even though I don't think we're ready for the Superbowl yet. I love seeing our defense lead the way, and I hope they can become dominant.

If they loose I will be overly emotional about it and probably write crappy things on here. Its what I do. I want them to win so bad it hurts, like all Skins fans.

Thats the beauty of a message board, it helps vent out the bad emotions from a heartbreaking loss - people should realize that.

That said, I think they are going to beat that crap Philly team.

The main thing I worry about is a regression next year - not the D, I think they will only get better with a few small tweaks... its the QB position... they need a young gun and that means 2012 is for learning and maybe even 2013 too. Maybe 2 more years of blah offense... oh man!

And on a personal note...I will be attending only my fourth ever game in DC on Sunday...last time I was there I watched the misery unfold at the infamous Rams game in 2008.

:doh: Unfortunately, that was the last game I attended as well.

I don't know how I should feel right now. We are in first, but in a way, I am just waiting for that drop that we always seem to have. Then again, this time feels different for some reason.

A win against Philly will go a long way in determining how I should feel.

But I think where people are wrong though is saying Philly has looked like a bad team. IMO, they have looked inconsistent. Their defense, yes I will concede has looked bad, but their offense is a mixed bad. The turnovers are undeniable, but they are still putting up a lot of points considering how many turnovers they get. Their offense is explosive.

I don't think you can ever expect to get 3-4 turnovers. Most games 1-2 turnovers WILL be the difference, but the Eagles offense has enough talent on it that they are still overcoming turnovers and putting up a lot of points in a hurry.

Like I said before, this is not a Rams team we are playing where we can go up 17-0 and then sort of sleep walk the rest of the game, relying on the defense to close the door late in the 4th quarter.

If Rex has a game against the Eagles like he had against the Rams...we could be toast.

Too many of our fanbase is making this game about the Eagles and what they think of them. To me I think we should be more focused on what the Redskins need to come out and do. The Redskins need this game to be the first one all season where all the yardage racked up on offense turns into points on the scoreboard, not mishandled field goal snaps, or a red zone turnover.

:doh: Unfortunately, that was the last game I attended as well.

I don't know how I should feel right now. We are in first, but in a way, I am just waiting for that drop that we always seem to have. Then again, this time feels different for some reason.

A win against Philly will go a long way in determining how I should feel.

That was my last game as well... 3rd or 4th (can't remember...too many bud lights :ols:) and very long and Bulger gets a heavy blitz and the play developed right in front of me... I forget that DBs name that got turned around on that play... I was sick! That was Haslett's first game coaching the Rams... Hopefully he feels a victory this week! Hail!

To quote Lou Holtz, we have guys that "want to win, but don't know how." Yeah, we're 3 and 1, but it's a hideous 3-1 and I think we've all learned that it's not how the Redskins start, but how they finish. I don't think this team is "there" yet, especially in the quarterback position. The direction in which we're heading, though, is a good one. We have a solid backfield, a couple of great TE, an offensive line that's on its way to becoming respectable and a damn fine front seven as well as one of the hardest hitting safeties in the league.

Our time has not come, and I think we'll see our place at the top of the NFC East vanish as the season wears on; but I won't be discouraged. We are on our way. The Redskins, as well as the other teams in my dear city, will be great and they will be great soon.

---------- Post added October-11th-2011 at 02:36 PM ----------

9-7 could win the division this year. 10-6 is more likely but every team has their flaw.

Hey, it worked it '99. Let's see if it can work again. :D

I agree with the OP, in that my preseason outlook was the same: just show slow, steady progress, and keep in mind that this is still a transition year and that we're a young team.

3-1 has changed all that, combined with Philly's disarray and the fact that we have a chance to take a solid lead over the rest of the NFC East.

One thing I will say, as you look around the NFL and see offenses scoring mountains of points and huge 4th quarter comebacks that make it look like the arena league, I am so, so glad that we decided to make the painful switch to a 3-4. It meant that we had an awful defense last year (30th in the NFL) and had to make a lot of roster moves, but it's already paying dividends and it's a better defense in this modern, QB-friendly era.

I'm already a mess inside... here's a little nugget I posted on another forum (a technically dead forum that I can/do rant on with impunity) but since the OP and some others seem like they feel as I do, I'll let it rip:

Want vs Need

Need: I should just be content to get a win vs Philly this Sunday. No revenge, no retribution, no trash talk from the players. Just go out there and take care of business, and if we only win by 2 points, we still WIN.

Want: Last year's Monday Night Beatdown wounded me in a way that no game in memory ever has. I was only 8 or so when we got waxed in SB XVIII, so honestly in 2 days it was like it never really happened. The game the Patriots thrashed us during Gibbs 2.0 was pretty ****ty, but it wasn't totally unexpected.

That goddamn MNF game last year hurt me psycologically. We could have been in decent shape if we'd won it, and it looked like there was going to be some healing between McNabb and Coach and that everything was going to be ok. And next thing you know we're 28 down within a matter of minutes and it just got worse from there.

We had a bit of a rally going into halftime, and I thought : Well there have been mega miracle comebacks on MNF before (Jets-Dolphins 2000), and we ARE at home... So against better judgement I stayed at the bar to watch the 2nd half and did my best to ignore the catcalls from the other patrons (Nampa Idaho has an UNBELIEVABLE number of 'Boys fans)

Well we all know what happened... Philly/ Vick just kept rolling, and Fat Albert just straight up QUIT!

And the team pretty much never recovered for that game or the rest of the season really.

So despite what we NEED, part of me WANTs more then a win.... I want those cheesesteak gnoshing Eagles not only beaten but SHAMED, GODDAMMIT! I want to see Vick despondent on the sideline with a towell on his head. I want DeSean Jackson whiffing on catches because he's SCARED. I want Ashomugowhatevah to fake an injury because he's getting burned so bad. And I want Andy Reid JOBLESS by Tuesday!

To hell with all of them!.

That was my last game as well... 3rd or 4th (can't remember...too many bud lights :ols:) and very long and Bulger gets a heavy blitz and the play developed right in front of me... I forget that DBs name that got turned around on that play... I was sick! That was Haslett's first game coaching the Rams... Hopefully he feels a victory this week! Hail!

Marc Bulger. Donnie Avery. 3rd and 13. Leigh Torrance.

Torrance is now and forever in the Romeo Bandison category...

Marc Bulger. Donnie Avery. 3rd and 13. Leigh Torrance.

Torrance is now and forever in the Romeo Bandison category...

Thanks... that was it... Donnie Avery was the wideout. The Rams also got the 15 yard personal foul that backed them up but still hit the game winner... BTW... Good Post

I'm with you, Ed. My formitive fan years consisted of Norv Turner, Richie Pettibone, and Steve Spurrier. Things havent really gotten much better. I feel like I'm due for some consistency with this franchise! Yes, I feel like we're on the right track. I too have been trying to keep a level head, but it's hard not to think about what this team could do if our defense continues to perform at this level...

The memory of last years MNF game still lingers and I hope the Skins come out firing on both sides. The Eagles will probably try to go deep early to Jackson again just to to spark themselves as well as to test the defense. I hope the Skins stay focused because they know what this game means for them and for the Eagles.

And on a personal note...I will be attending only my fourth ever game in DC on Sunday...last time I was there I watched the misery unfold at the infamous Rams game in 2008. I was also at the game in Dallas this year...and our losses there in 2009 and 2007. Am I not due?

It appears you are a jinx. I say sell your tickets for the sake of our team and fans!!! :)

So...every game you have attended they have lost? Any way you can find a way to not go on Sunday?

Nope, I've seen some wins. Here is my personal history, although I doubt anyone cares:

1987: My first ever skins game...on MNF in Dallas...the infamous "scab" game...I didn't care at the time...was 10 years old and just loving every minute of that win

1991: Again, MNF in Dallas; 33-31 win...fantastic game. Lohmiller was the difference; first time I realized how good those Cowboys would eventually be

1993: Petitbone's lone year...late season win at Tampa...one of only four for us that year. Still young enough that even a meaningless win against a terrible team was fun; Reggie Brooks long TD run

1994: My only trip to RFK...got drubbed by the eventual champion 49ers...great to be in that place...got to "meet" John Madden as he got off the Cruiser. Crowd was dull that day..no energy...furthered my theory that RFK had little to do with our advantage..it was the team

1995: Crushing loss in OT at the Vet in Philly. This one really, really stung. Thought we had it there for a minute...The Vet was as advertised...but I sported my skins colors proudly

2002: Thanksgiving Day loss at Dallas. I will spare you the details, but my actions after this game (my wife was with me) have gone down in family lore. I got in a LOT of trouble for that :)

2004: Late season win at Candlestick on a Saturday afternoon. Two poor teams; SF is an amazing city though

2005: Loss at Arrowhead in KC. Great game, great atmosphere. We really played well that done. Cartwright had a very, very costly fumble. Desperation pass at end fell short

2005: Win at the dome in St. Louis. I had lost my motivation heading into this one on the heels of our losses to Oakland and San Diego...I figured we were toast. So, I was kind of "eh" about this win, but it turned out to be the first of the "five in a row or we don't go"

2006: Win at Houston. The game where Brunell set the completion record. Kind of a boring game, lifeless stadium.

2007: 34-3 win at FedEx over Lions. Taylor and Sellers both had moments in that game that live on in many people's sigs here on ES.

2007: 17-14 loss at Green Bay. Lambeau was wonderful; everyone needs to do that at least once before they die. Really outplayed the Pack, but Moss's fumble on a reverse shifted the entire game. Disappointing loss. ST was unreal that day; one of his last games

2007: Blondie's tailgate in Dallas... an incredible time pre-game. Game was back and forth and one of the better entries in the rivalry over the past two decades or so. Of course, we lose at the end...

2008: Great win at the Linc in Philly....got down 14-0 and battled back...one of Campbell's best games as a Redskin. Linc is a nice stadium; fans much more subdued than at the Vet

2008: Rams game in DC

2009: Horribly ugly loss in Dallas when Suisham missed the FG that would have iced it for us

2010: This year at Dallas

So, I'm 8-9 overall, on a three game losing streak; and we've lost 5 of the last 6 I've attended.

The turnovers are undeniable, but they are still putting up a lot of points considering how many turnovers they get. Their offense is explosive.

I don't think you can ever expect to get 3-4 turnovers. Most games 1-2 turnovers WILL be the difference, but the Eagles offense has enough talent on it that they are still overcoming turnovers and putting up a lot of points in a hurry.

Also, SO many of Philly's turnovers this year have been extremely flukey. Yes, you "make your own luck" and all that, but honestly, it's not like Vick is making boneheaded throws. They're getting a lot of bad breaks and crazy bounces go the other way. That's why I'm so nervous about them: eventually, they'll catch a break and start improving. Fingers crossed that it doesn't happen this week. It would be unbelievably awesome to see the Skins ahead by a healthy margin late in the 4th quarter, Vick on the sidelines with his head in his hands, Reid looking nervous, and FedEx serenading the Eagles with "hey, heyyyy, goodbye" chants. Dream scenario.

The question this week seems pretty simple to me...no doubt if the Eagles keep crapping themselves and have every bounce go the other way, we are good enough to take advantage and win...maybe handily.

But what happens if the Eagles play well? Not flawlessly like they did last year, but just well. Let's say so far they've brought their "C" game...what happens if they bring their "A-" game? Are we good enough to win if both teams play well?

I'm right there with you. 7-9 was better than I thought we could do, but suddenly, damnit, I have hope.

And I HATE the Eagles.

So, here are my reasons to be optimistic:

1. We have beaten Vick up in the past, and he has not returned to his Monday Night Massacre form since...well...since the MNM.

2. We can run the ball against them effectively. Everyone else has, and I think we're a little better than most.

3. Rex generally plays better against zone-based D's from what I've seen.

Really, though, Rex shouldn't need to throw more than 20 times. It should be a steady diet of Torain, Helu, and Hightower all night if we are to increase our chances of winning.

HTTR.

Archived