Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The need for a new Radio announce team

urblessed00

I didn't see a thread for this...and I'm hoping this is the right forum..............but the announce team really needs to be changed. This neeeeeds to be the last year of this current incarnation. I love Sonny...but I'm sure he's going to be tied to the hip of Sam. .................Sam Huff has got to go. I used to always listen to the radio broadcasts when I was in my car. I also, would sometimes turn the tv down and watch the game and listen to the game on the radio (before the sound got out of sync between the two). Frank Herzog and Sonny were great. I could tolerate Sam Huff. But now, .......it will happen to us all if we are so blessed, but he has been senile for about the last 10 years ...and I'm being generous. It's painful now. I normally am home for the games...but I was actually out on Sunday before the Cardinals game. I thought...you know what, I'm actually going to listen to the game today until I get home. I'll only miss the first 15 minutes of the game anyway. ...........I couldn't even make it out of pre-game. Larry Michael and Sonny had to explain to Huff that Doc Walker played Tight-end. Huff had Doc playing guard in his mind (this came up because they mentioned it was Jeff Bostic's birthday). Come on mannn...we gotta do better than this. I know there is never an easy way to do this...but this radio team needs to be scrapped. It's sad....but true. It's time. It's past time..but it's definitely time.

This is from the WaPo from last year.

Sam Huff and the overtime rules

Sam Huff's place in this town's sports history is secure. He's a legend in multiple fields. He's as comfortable on Sunday afternoons as apple crisp and Wade Phillips screwing something up. That said, Huff could maybe use a primer on the NFL's overtime rules. Highlights from Sunday's broadcast.

Before the coin toss, Larry Michael explains that overtime is sudden death.

Michael: Of course there's new overtime rules in the playoffs, but not during the regular season, so the winner of this coin toss is obviously going to have the first possession and the first chance to score.

Huff: I thought everybody had one chance.

Michael: That's gonna be the case in the playoffs. Rule change for the NFL this year.

After the coin toss, Michael asks Huff about the defense taking the field.

Huff: Well, they'll be on the field first, but they're kicking the ball. You're not gonna score when you're kicking the ball....Let me say this, you don't want to try an onsides kick here, do you?

Michael: No, I would not do that.

Huff: You've got to kick it as hard as you can.

Later....

Huff: This is sudden death, isn't it?

Michael: It sure is.

As Graham Gano prepares for his first crack at that 52-yard field goal, Sam chimes in.

Huff: If he doesn't make it, is the game called, or do you go into another overtime?

Sonny Jurgensen: Houston would take over where he kicks it from, Sam.

Huff: Oh man, whooo, I think I'd punt it.

Jurgensen: Ohhh, now you'd punt it.

Huff: Well, I don't know all these rules. You do.

Gano makes it, but was iced, and then misses it.

Huff [incredulous]: Double overtime?

Michael: Nope.

Jurgensen: No no no, overtime continues.

Huff: It does?

Jurgensen: Nobody's scored yet!

Huff: I know, but you might have double overtime if it keeps going like this.

Jurgensen: You've got seven minutes to go.

Huff: What John? [Listens to producer.] Well, I've been advised if they run out of time and they haven't scored, it's over.

listened last sunday and man..it was sad.

I used to think ppl were exaggerating about Sam but no.They had to tell him that Kyle called the plays for 10 minutes straight and seemed to babble like that casual fan who knows nothing about football.

It needs to stop but how would you do that to a legend?

oh and Sonny is still sharp as a tack

I'd be fine with Sonny doing some post game interviews and maybe some other stuff. But 100% of the booth and Redskins Nation needs to be turned over.

Poor Sam just has the dwindles

Sonny actually is fine but wouldn't fit in with a new younger booth.

Larry is Larry. Our Baghdad Bob of Washington D.C.. Well, he did say he'd take Jason Campbell over Peyton Manning because Manning was due for injury......like 4-5 years ago. Maybe he was talking about 2011. I've been vocal about how little cred Larry has. From claiming the media were Dallas spies to calling Redskins fans "Haters" because they weren't buying the Vinny bull****. This guy needs to not be employed by the Redskins anymore. They can afford somebody much better.

I'd like to hear a nice two-man booth. Get me a solid play by play guy and then try out former players for the color guy. Not Doc Walker though. Honestly, I was listening to Rypien on 980 last week to promote those solar panels and talk a little NFL. The guy is well spoken, understands the little details you don't notice in a game, and I think would be a darkhorse candidate for something like that.

No Darrell Green, I've seen him speak. It was not pretty

No Dexter...he's funny...but come on.

No Riggo for obvious reasons

Oh, and adding Smoot to the comcast team is genius. I'd love to see him on a Redskins Nation type show with a host that people respect over Larry.

I interact with these guys.

Each time I run in to Sam it's a guess as to whether it's the first time we've met or not. Every once in a while he is on his game. In San Diego with Murf and I was one of those times. He was engaging, funny, excited, amazing to talk to. We thought he was having a moment when he asked if Murf had ever been in Vietnam and Murf is like 30. Great funny story on that one. He is struggling with his issues for sure.

Sonny is an amazing human being. Remarkably smart and insightful. He knows football in ways none of us have the depth to grasp. It is so natural to him. The things he sees and understands. And there are things he says which no one will ever hear and can not be repeated but are pure gold.

Larry is often misunderstood here. No doubt he's a corporate guy reading the copy handed to him. He's a trained broadcast professional and though he is very close with Sonny and Sam -- i.e. they hang out and do more together than Frank ever did -- he has a hard time getting people to understand the close relationship he has with them likely due to his delivery or whatever. But, I have found Larry to be THIS site's greatest supporter. He's very fond of the fan base in general and does care about the job he does and the people who hear him. He's down to earth. He prefers to hang out with the little folks who carry the boom mic on the sideline, or fans like Rick, Murf or I than to suit up and sit around the marketing table in Dan Snyder's sphere of friends.

I can say if any of you actually got to know him, you'd find him to be among the best people you'd know.

It's a shame some hate him so much, because he's such a great human being.

I interact with these guys.

Each time I run in to Sam it's a guess as to whether it's the first time we've met or not. Every once in a while he is on his game. In San Diego with Murf and I was one of those times. He was engaging, funny, excited, amazing to talk to. We thought he was having a moment when he asked if Murf had ever been in Vietnam and Murf is like 30. Great funny story on that one. He is struggling with his issues for sure.

Sonny is an amazing human being. Remarkably smart and insightful. He knows football in ways none of us have the depth to grasp. It is so natural to him. The things he sees and understands. And there are things he says which no one will ever hear and can not be repeated but are pure gold.

Larry is often misunderstood here. No doubt he's a corporate guy reading the copy handed to him. He's a trained broadcast professional and though he is very close with Sonny and Sam -- i.e. they hang out and do more together than Frank ever did -- he has a hard time getting people to understand the close relationship he has with them likely due to his delivery or whatever. But, I have found Larry to be THIS site's greatest supporter. He's very fond of the fan base in general and does care about the job he does and the people who hear him. He's down to earth. He prefers to hang out with the little folks who carry the boom mic on the sideline, or fans like Rick, Murf or I than to suit up and sit around the marketing table in Dan Snyder's sphere of friends.

I can say if any of you actually got to know him, you'd find him to be among the best people you'd know.

Larry developed his rep as a jackass when he called fans "haters" for critiquing the 'skins when it was justified. Not exactly professional.

aybe he is a decent guy in person, but the majority of 'skins fans will never meet him in person so they judge him based on his media personality.

Larry developed his rep as a jackass when he called fans "haters" for critiquing the 'skins when it was justified. Not exactly professional.

Larry's rep goes way back to Westwood One and well before "did he? / didn't he?" Herzog stuff.

If you have Sirius/XM, do yourself a favor and flip around to listen to a few games this weekend. You don't need a be a character like Myron Cope to be a memorable announcer. But I expect more than a few will notice the "quality" of the broadcasts over what we get here in D.C.

Larry Michael is an intolerable windbag and Huff is clearly senile....yeah, I'd say it's time for a change. Sonny's still on point, though.

Edit: in regards to Art's comments about Larry, I don't doubt you for a second but as someone who considers themselves at least semi-knowledgable about football I just simply can't take the mental gymnastics required and don't possess the levels of pure solid gold optimism required to listen to him. Can't do it. I understand wanting the team to do well, I understand a slanted view because he works for the team but good God almighty he takes it too far, way too far. It makes it impossible for me to take anything he says about the team seriously and makes it very difficult for me to listen to him.

He prefers to hang out with the little folks who carry the boom mic on the sideline, or fans like Rick, Murf or I than to suit up and sit around the marketing table in Dan Snyder's sphere of friends.

I talked with him for a while at the Weston the night before the Panthers game in '09. He was super nice, down to earth and everything.

Yeah, Sam's got to stop. I can't remember exactly what he was talking about in the pregame, but he started up on how difficult it was going to be for Trent Williams to stop d-lineman X, and Sonny had to tell Sam that he had the wrong side of the line. Then Huff tried to save it by saying it was going to be a tough assignment anyhow.

Boy, that was poorly remembered. Maybe I'm getting senile too.

Anyhow, the bottom line is that Sam doesn't do his homework, or if he does, he's forgetting it, which makes him less than informative; he detracts from my understanding of the game. I know I harp too much on it, but when the Skins were playing Arizona and Kurt Warner a few years back, he didn't even know Warner's arm was hurt. It came up during Sam's pregame preview, and he had a hard time getting it into his head that Warner's arm was hurt even when folks were telling him what was going on.

I'm sure he can be on top of his game sometimes, but right now he's a distraction. He doesn't bring more life to the game, he makes it more difficult for me to picture it. For humor, fine, he and Sonny are interesting like the guys in the balcony on the Muppets, but you can't do that in the middle of a play and call it a game broadcast. He's less insightful and educational than your standard fan would be doing color. It's time for Sam to bow out.

Look, Michaels made excuses on air before game 1 for Huff before he'd even had a chance to put his foot in his mouth, saying that folks shouldn't make fun of Sam. No, Larry, your network shouldn't be putting Mr. Huff in that position for ridicule. You want to edit something interesting from Huff for pregame, fine. But live radio isn't the place for him any more.

Honestly, though I understand it'd be tough to make it happen, Sonny and Smoot would make a great offense vs. defense team. Larry's fine. I dislike that he pulled strings to get the job and is such a freakin' homer without a shred of critical perspective than his "analysis" is worthless, but strictly play-by-play, he's serviceable. Still, Huff's no Cope. There's a difference between quirky and distracting to the point of misinformation. Unfortunately, Redskins radio has the latter of those two.

The funny thing is that Frank Herzog is beloved and I've heard a number of stories that he is a horse's patoot.

I don't hate Larry. I just don't particularly like his delivery. I have the same feeling about Bob Carpenter on Nats games. It's not necessarily rational but it's true. Larry actually describes a good game though unlike some others. Johnny Holliday is regarded as a legend around these parts and he is just plain terrible.

On the flip side of the coin, we have Herzog and Jon Miller. They could read a Chinese menu and I'd find it entertaining.

This has been an ongoing issue for many years.

Ah, unfortunately Sam's time has come and gone. It reminds me of Halesy Hall, a long time broadcaster for the Minnesota Twins who was a great announcer at one time but by the early 0's had overstayed his time. I believe in looking back on it he may have had Alhemizers, before it was recognized as an ailment. Anyway, the last years of his tenure with the Twins was absolutely excruciating to listen too. I don't think Sam has Alzheimer's, but it is time for him to step away from the mike. Just sit in the booth and smile when the camera comes around.

Reminds me a bit of Frank Gifford and having to ask him to leave the booth from MNF. They found a little role for him with the sitting in the study with the fireplace and spinning yarns of historic matchups concluding with an "Are you ready" which really felt more like a grandfather asking if you if you were ready to open Christmas presents opposed to asking if you were ready for a football game. I was usually ready for a nap after that segment as I am sure he was.

Anyway, much like the glory days of yesteryear that are fond memories, so will it be when they shake up the broadcast team, which I can only assume will be after this year. Find a little something for Sam, like somebody mentioned, a preview that can be rehearsed and edited. That keeps him as a small part of the team and affords him the dignity the HOF'r deserves.

Archived