Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The need for a new Radio announce team

urblessed00

Larry...play by play....not bad...he does his job and keeps things moving along. His biased opinions not withstanding (when Zorn was 6-2 he asked the question, "Doesn't this and the great draft validate Vinny Cerrato?" :puke:) ...I got nothing really against him. As someone who used to work in the media...he does more right than wrong in the booth so I can deal with him.

(BTW if I ever find it on Youtube I'll post it...Frank Herzog during a live remote from Skins Park just blasted Spurrier. I think that did him in. Spurrier was asked about what was wrong with the team and he said, "You all see it, you know, write about it!"

Herzog; Here's what I see an offense that cannot produce anything, an O-Line that cannot block, a Defense that is at the bottom of every category in the league and horrible special teams.)

Sonny still sharp as they come but hearing him with someone other than Sam...just would feel wrong. Sam...it's like watching Namath in Rams Uniform, Unitas as a Charger or Dorsett as a Bronco...their best days were behind them...and sadly so is Sam's in the booth.

Right after that they had to explain that FedEx has a grass field, not artificial turf. It's just sad to hear, really.

It is definitely sad to hear, but between telling Doc Walker that he played guard and the field being artificial turf it was pure comic relief. I was laughing pretty good when I was listening to it. Poor Sonny and Larry. But they seem to have patience and are probably winking at each other with a big smile on their faces when he loses his way. I do think it can be a distraction from being able to follow the game correctly, but I would just say to ignore anything that Sam says and listen to Larry's play by play and Sonny's color commentary and open your ears to Sam if you want a laugh or two if we are not doing too good so you can take your mind off the the bad play we just had.

This is from the WaPo from last year.

Sam Huff and the overtime rules

Sam Huff's place in this town's sports history is secure. He's a legend in multiple fields. He's as comfortable on Sunday afternoons as apple crisp and Wade Phillips screwing something up. That said, Huff could maybe use a primer on the NFL's overtime rules. Highlights from Sunday's broadcast.

Before the coin toss, Larry Michael explains that overtime is sudden death.

Michael: Of course there's new overtime rules in the playoffs, but not during the regular season, so the winner of this coin toss is obviously going to have the first possession and the first chance to score.

Huff: I thought everybody had one chance.

Michael: That's gonna be the case in the playoffs. Rule change for the NFL this year.

After the coin toss, Michael asks Huff about the defense taking the field.

Huff: Well, they'll be on the field first, but they're kicking the ball. You're not gonna score when you're kicking the ball....Let me say this, you don't want to try an onsides kick here, do you?

Michael: No, I would not do that.

Huff: You've got to kick it as hard as you can.

Later....

Huff: This is sudden death, isn't it?

Michael: It sure is.

As Graham Gano prepares for his first crack at that 52-yard field goal, Sam chimes in.

Huff: If he doesn't make it, is the game called, or do you go into another overtime?

Sonny Jurgensen: Houston would take over where he kicks it from, Sam.

Huff: Oh man, whooo, I think I'd punt it.

Jurgensen: Ohhh, now you'd punt it.

Huff: Well, I don't know all these rules. You do.

Gano makes it, but was iced, and then misses it.

Huff [incredulous]: Double overtime?

Michael: Nope.

Jurgensen: No no no, overtime continues.

Huff: It does?

Jurgensen: Nobody's scored yet!

Huff: I know, but you might have double overtime if it keeps going like this.

Jurgensen: You've got seven minutes to go.

Huff: What John? [Listens to producer.] Well, I've been advised if they run out of time and they haven't scored, it's over.

Hilarious, I wish I heard that, I love sam

Yeah I ran out to the store at halftime and listened to the beginning of the third quarter and they really have gotten worse. It's sad because I grew up listening to Sonny Sam and Frank. Hell I used to mute the tv and listen to the radio broadcast instead unless it was a Monday or Sunday night game.

Thing is though, the broadcast has been on the decline for a few years now. I think Snyder probably knows this and wants to make a change, but he took a major pr hit when he canned Frank(which was just a stupid, stupid move) and I have a feeling he thinks the same will happen if they fired Sam. Sonny is still good and Larry is Larry. He is what he is, which is insufferable. But poor Sam is just not all there anymore which sucks. It's time for him to hang it up. But I'm ok with letting him go out on his own terms when he wants to just out of respect.

Sonny and Sam never got paid like today's players. They can really benefit from the income i imagine. Bring in a new voice or two and phase them out slowly and with some dignity. I don't mind Sam, he makes me laugh when things are not so good, which was much during the last few years.

I was driving to Baltimore during the game and listened to the last 10 mins of pregame and the 1st quarter before I lost the signal. I thought Sam sounded pretty good during the time I was listening. I was rather surprised as I have seen many of the Sam Huff is senile posts on this board and paid extra attention to what he was saying. Anyways, I don't know if he stayed sharp the rest of the game.

As for Larry, I miss Frank Herzog as much as anybody else (I even cut "Touchdown! Washington Redskins!" into ESPN 2K5 for what the game says when you score a TD) but Larry showed a lot of kindness after a coworker and good friend of mine was killed in an accident in July 2010. I sent an email to Redskins Nation on a Monday to see if they could send an autographed picture or something to his young son. Larry read my letter on the air on Tuesday, emailed me on Wednesday, and by Saturday I had a wad of VIP passes for training camp for the son's family/friends and a few for me and my nephews. We had a great day at training camp. Bruce Allen's assistant took the son on the practice field after practice and he got to meet several players, get autographs and pics with them. We also got a tour of the upstairs to Redskins Park where we met Sonny. He signed some autographs for us and we have a pic of the son with Sonny. We also got to go into the studio where they film Redskins Nation. A few from our group sat in Larry's chair and said his signature "Buckle Up! It's time for Redskins Nation!". I tried to get the son to do it, but he was too shy.

During the week after we had gone to training camp word (and pics) spread through our office about the great day we had. I recieved several emails/IMs from coworkers thanking me, but I gotta give the credit to Larry.

No fond memory is greater etched into my mind than the Frank Herzog signature exclamation "Touchdown!!.........Washington Redskins!"
How about..."He's gone...he's gone!" Apparrently Frank was a jerk, or so I have read, but his voice and his signature touchdown call is certainly engraved forever in Redskins history. I wish Larry Michael could come up with something better than him sounding out of breath when he yells..."Touchdown Santana Moss, touchdown Redskins" I think we had a thread a few years back suggesting new touchdown calls for him.

You should feel sorry for those of us who do not have any choice but to listen to them. Sometimes when Sam is at his most exassperrating I have to go find the radio station for the team we are playing. How bad is that? Having to listen to the opposition's announcers?!

Sam Huff is finished! He was talking about a possible incomplete pass on Jabar Gaffney's game-sealing TD reception against the G-men in Week 1. Huff claimed (paraphrased), "Gaffney spiked the ball too soon and that the play might be reviewed for an incomplete pass." He repeated it like two or three times.

He isn't considered clueless because he thought a ball spiked too soon could be an incomplete pass, as that is possible. He's finished because anyone in their right mind could clearly see Gaffney had clear possession of the ball long before he spiked it.

I'd be fine with Sonny doing some post game interviews and maybe some other stuff. But 100% of the booth and Redskins Nation needs to be turned over.

Poor Sam just has the dwindles

Sonny actually is fine but wouldn't fit in with a new younger booth.

Larry is Larry. Our Baghdad Bob of Washington D.C.. Well, he did say he'd take Jason Campbell over Peyton Manning because Manning was due for injury......like 4-5 years ago. Maybe he was talking about 2011. I've been vocal about how little cred Larry has. From claiming the media were Dallas spies to calling Redskins fans "Haters" because they weren't buying the Vinny bull****. This guy needs to not be employed by the Redskins anymore. They can afford somebody much better.

I'd like to hear a nice two-man booth. Get me a solid play by play guy and then try out former players for the color guy. Not Doc Walker though. Honestly, I was listening to Rypien on 980 last week to promote those solar panels and talk a little NFL. The guy is well spoken, understands the little details you don't notice in a game, and I think would be a darkhorse candidate for something like that.

No Darrell Green, I've seen him speak. It was not pretty

No Dexter...he's funny...but come on.

No Riggo for obvious reasons

Oh, and adding Smoot to the comcast team is genius. I'd love to see him on a Redskins Nation type show with a host that people respect over Larry.

Andrew Saciliano or James Brown doing play by play and Joey T, Charles Mann or someone else from the 80's doing color. We've needed to move up a generation for years now.

I thought Doc did a pretty good job the one game he did color in the preseason. I think he'd be a good radio color commentator. He has experience, he does color for ACC college football.

I'm fine with Larry as the play by play guy. Yeah he's a bit of a homer but have you heard other team's radio guys? They're massive homers. It comes with the territory.

I agree that Sam is done, but Sonny is still very sharp. That said, as much as I love those guys, they are getting a bit old for those roles and it's been 31 years, so it may be time to move on to a younger broadcast team. Yes Frank was great, but he's been gone so people need to get over it...plus he's not getting any younger either. The team itself is finally making moves to respect the memories and traditions while moving forward with the hope of creating some new ones, so it makes sense for the radio broadcast team to do the same type of thing.

Larry isn't going anywhere, like him or not, and it seems like the Skins are setting it up for a Larry, Joey T, & Doc broadcast team, whenever they do make the switch (unless Joe thinks he's too big for radio). I'd be cool with that...and I'm sure they'd still find a way to keep Sonny involved.

They are terriable to listen to and make me not want to listen

That you, Chuck? ;)

---------- Post added September-22nd-2011 at 06:35 PM ----------

Joey T. works for NFL Network so I don't think he'd leave that for a radio gig.

He's doing preseason games for the Skins. I think he could find the time on Sunday.

Yeah as much as I hate it because Sam is one of my favorite all time Redskins players and one of my favorite voices to hear on Sunday afternoon it's just not the same as it used to be. I really don't have an issue with Larry as a PbP guy. He gives a good accurate description and really gets into the game, gives you that impression that he's just as excited we just scored as you are. Sonny is still incredibly sharp. I would just rather see Sam have a smaller role, in all honesty I don't even think the team needs an overhaul. Just Larry and Sonny would be fine with me.

I find them quite entertaining with the playful banter between Sonny & Sam (offense vs. defense). I don't care if they don't know the rules of the game or who used to play what position. As long as Larry give accurate color commentary to let me know what's going I'm happy with the trio.

• 1 month later...
Sam was in rare form once again. After Helu was stopped in the backfield Sam said "that's the best pursuit I've seen from this defense all year." Sonny says "Sam...the Redskins are on offense."

Didn't he also yell about how crackback blocks shouldn't be illegal because it's the best play in football to make a crackback block?

you guys should have heard the reaction Larry got at halftime when introducing Chris Hanburger. "Larry, you suck" wasn't that hard to hear. Once Chris started talking, the folks shut you.

But if anybody wants to fool themselves into thinking that Larry Michael isn't generally disliked. PM me right away. I have some nice ocean front property in Colorado for sale.

Skins need to revamp the whole presentation on radio and the HD screen.

100% new crew for the booth. Let Sammy do the post game interviews or something. Larry and Sam should be let go.

The "Its Game Time" video before the game is cheesy and weak.......except this whole looking up to every team that comes to play here with the "Beat "city name here"" nonsense.

Archived