Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The need for a new Radio announce team

urblessed00

Sam was in rare form once again. After Helu was stopped in the backfield Sam said "that's the best pursuit I've seen from this defense all year." Sonny says "Sam...the Redskins are on offense."

I heard that too. His reaction was something like "Oh... well you got me there!"

I thought it was kind of sad because he's just getting old. Those of us lucky enough to get old aren't going to exempt from the effects of old age.

Frank Herzog had a nice run but it was time for him to go. How many players did he incorrectly name toward the end of his career? "caught by #86, no.... make that #88" Plus, he was infamous for not finishing lunch at halftime and started announcing the 3rd quarter with food in his mouth, sounding like he was ready to launch a huge burp at anytime. I met the guy a couple of times and he seemed very pompous.

As for Sam, now that I read this thread, it does make sense that something is going on with him. Getting old sux.

i left todays game with 7 minutes left in the 4th and listened to the rest of the game in the car. i find larry to be good the other to really dont add anything to me. its nowhere near a good broadcast kinda like are offense.

You certainly dont listen to Sonny/Sam for the "good broadcasting".. lol It's either out of nestalgia, to get a laugh, or due to not having a tv to look at..

I wouldnt know. I stopped listening ever since that POS Larry Michael came aboard.

YES!!! Finally, someone who agrees with me! Get that clown Larry Michael outta there and you'll be doing something. Ever since Snyder canned Herzog for Michael, I can't watch or listen to Larry Michael. All he is, is a mouthpiece for Snyder. Never criticizes the organization, never any objectivity; everything is always SUNSHINE in Resdkin-Land!

Who makes the decision to keep Sam Huff on the air?

Because if he isn't going to relieve Sam of his duties, then someone needs to relieve him of his.

I have heard from someone very familiar with Snyder's business operations that everyone associated with ESPN980 does a collective facepalm everytime Sam opens his mouth. But Snyder makes the call, and he wants him there no matter how ridiculous he sounds on the air.

Frank Herzog had a nice run but it was time for him to go. How many players did he incorrectly name toward the end of his career? "caught by #86, no.... make that #88" Plus, he was infamous for not finishing lunch at halftime and started announcing the 3rd quarter with food in his mouth, sounding like he was ready to launch a huge burp at anytime. I met the guy a couple of times and he seemed very pompous.

As for Sam, now that I read this thread, it does make sense that something is going on with him. Getting old sux.

I met him once - at Orioles Spring Training 1991 - and he was a total sweetheart. Took a picture with me and everything.

Don't see what somebody's personality has to do with their announcing anyway. Sam Huff is probably a wonderful old man but it's time for him to retire. During the Panthers game he said..."And a first down...by the...uh...blue team..."

A few games ago (I don't remember which one), I had to listen to the first quarter in my car. There was a particular moment that I remember when Sam said, "And here comes the punt team!"

The next play was going to be on second down.

YES!!! Finally, someone who agrees with me! Get that clown Larry Michael outta there and you'll be doing something. Ever since Snyder canned Herzog for Michael, I can't watch or listen to Larry Michael. All he is, is a mouthpiece for Snyder. Never criticizes the organization, never any objectivity; everything is always SUNSHINE in Resdkin-Land!

i notice this on the redskins nation show.. the guy is obviously told to never talk bad about the team. as for sam, dude is completely lost i dunno how he even gets to the stadium

I live just north of Baltimore, and if the game isn't on TV, I have a hard time getting it on the radio...but yesterday I was traveling from Frederick back home to baltimore during the game. The radio crew sounds on and tired. There's no energy in the booth. Half the time i wonder what in the world is going on since none of the guys in the booth seem to be able to relay it. Listen to another teams radio play by play. It's far better than this.

its embarrassing for the team, for the fans, for sam himself, and yet they continue to trot him out there.

its like vinny cerrato. everybody except the people in charge realize how awful it is and refuse to make changes.

Add Larry Michaels to this quote, and it says it all.

Archived