Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Cooley emerge against the Cowboys?

mojo

If Rex can SAFELY get out of the pocket then he will have a very good night.

Cowboys defensive line is very fast, but a misdirection play here and there will put a stop to that.

Besides, I'm more concerned with Reed being flat-footed in the secondary; he's gotta start reading responsibilities better or it will be a long night...

I agree.

IMO, the best man should be on the field. At this point, I feel as though Davis is the far superior player. It's no knock on Cooley, but the reality of the situation. Personally, I think that this is Cooley's last year in B&G. If it is, he's had a GREAT run. I hope that Davis can continue to do well and make the most of this opportunity. He's earned it.

That's what folk are missing by a Country mile.

To quote another darn good poster from earlier today, it's not so much a passing of the torch, as Davis has grabbed the torch with both hands via his play. Cooley still has real worth to this ball club on the field. He'll play his part this year as he always has. Just we have two of them now instead of one.

Hail.

It still amazes me that in this penultimate team sport we root for the success of individual players over others. I blame fantasy football. If Davis has a MONSTER GAME catching passes, Cooley can have a MONSTER GAME protecting the quarterback. If this team is changing its mentality from a collection of individuals into a group running a system, the fans need to do the same thing. Both those guys were kept for a reason, and they'll fill their roles appropriately. Cooley doesn't need Freddy to take a back seat to do well or do what he needs for the team.

First of all I think Cooley is far from 100% - he does not seem to be running well and its a pretty good bet he is still having knee issues. He was never the fastest TE in the league and now he is even a step slower. He can still find a soft spot in a zone as well as anyone in the NFL and has a safe pare of hands and is a big target for a QB. I think has the year goes on if he can get healthy you will see him get more involved in the passing game.

Davis however has emerged as a totally different kind of TE than Cooley. he is more the TE/WR type that an Antonio Gates is (I'm not saying he is as good as Gates just the same type of TE). He has the athletic ability to stretch a defense and presents a match up nightmare for a defense. Do you play him as a TE and match up a linebacker of safety or do you play him as a WR and match up with a DB. The other option is what the Cardinals and Giants choose which was not to cover him at all - I dont think that option will be used much the rest of our schedule.

I think Davis is now the defacto number one TE in our offense and will be the guy on the field in most passing situations. Cooley will get his snaps and targets but more as an outlet guy or on designed play fakes or waggle type plays. I think what we have seen so far from Davis will be his norm not a two game blip and we need to start thinking about extending him and locking him up for the long term.

I don't see Cooley being truly 100% and having an impact until we play the Eagles after the bye. He should have a monster game there, especially with the LB's Philly is fielding this season.

i agree. mark it down, my early and bold prediction is that cooley goes to work on the eagles.

when it became clear that gonzalez vs. linebackers was a mismatch, the eagles used nhamdi to cover tony gonzalez. i expect the same coverage on davis. that will leave gaffney and moss to be covered by cromartie and samuel. that still leaves cooley to expose the linebackers and secondary, and he should be healthy and in sync by then.

It still amazes me that in this penultimate team sport we root for the success of individual players over others. I blame fantasy football. If Davis has a MONSTER GAME catching passes, Cooley can have a MONSTER GAME protecting the quarterback. If this team is changing its mentality from a collection of individuals into a group running a system, the fans need to do the same thing. Both those guys were kept for a reason, and they'll fill their roles appropriately. Cooley doesn't need Freddy to take a back seat to do well or do what he needs for the team.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Why can't we as fans root for both to do well FOR THE TEAM. Cooley is banged up right now, but he's trying to contribute. Davis is carrying the load right now and I'm just glad we have the depth when alot of people wanted to trade Cooley. You are right, the fans need to root for the team. Forget about individuals. I don't care if Gano catches a TD pass. As long as we score and win. Win, win, win. That's all that matters. Great Post!!!

The culture is changing at Redskins Park and if that means Cooley passing the torch? I'm fine with that because Davis isn't a flash in the pan. He is now offiically a bigger threat than Cooley.

Whatever helps us get the W's. Period.

Some of you need to get with the program and start pulling for the "team" instead of focusing so much on the individual.

I'm not sold on the idea that it has to be either Cooley or Davis, with the lesser option being traded. Utilizing both of them is going to create some great mismatches, and whether Cooley is #1 and Davis #2 or vice versa, I love seeing the 2 TE sets and think that can be a huge advantage when ran properly. Davis has played awesome the first 2 games, and if he keeps this up, certainly may deserve the #1 targets, but I'm not ready to put 47 on the trading block just yet. I'd still like to think hes not yet 100% (because he has looked a step or 2 slow so far..)

Interesting, Cooley is a smart guy and very good teammate. He knows what Davis is capable of, and knows he's not fully healthy. Makes me think he'd be willing to stick around in the city he loves playing 2nd fiddle to Davis, if he never re-takes his job:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/quick-hits-chris-cooley-suggested-feeding-fred-davis-the-ball/2011/09/19/gIQAgBLtfK_blog.html

[shanahan] said Cooley told coaches during the game to feed fellow tight end Fred Davis the ball.

Archived