Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Favorite Arizona (Phoenix) Cardinals moment

superozman

As I read the title of the Cardinal's cheerleader thread, I thought originally it would be just about a favorite Redskins vs. Cardinals moment. To my delight, I got to look at some cheerleaders!

But I started thinking, and while I was still in high school when the Cards moved to the NFC West, this ex division rival is one where I don't have too many memorable moments for me. I was hoping to read some of the moments I wasn't lucky enough to see!

And since I live in Philly, and with the Redskins/Cards matchups not getting much National TV time, I didn't see many games between the two.

So my favorite moment, or game, was the Antonio Brown Return game in the 5 and 0 or we don't go 2005 season. Him blowing the kiss as he was flying towards the end zone, saving Mark Brunell's 122 yd/3 interception poor performance, was my favorite moment.

Not really a WOW moment, but cool none-the-less.

i remember a game where brad edwards had 3 INT's in one game, returning one for a TD if i recall correctly. trying to remember the name of the arizona QB......

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199211290was.htm

here it is. 1992. 41-3 beatdown. timm rosenbach was the name of the QB

IIRC the Redskins had suffered a few tough losses in the preceding weeks so Gibbs decided to let them run up the score a bit to build the team's morale a bit. Joe Bugel didn't care for it and refused to shake Gibbs' hand after the game.

I liked Champ Bailey's coming out party in '99 with multiple interceptions at Phoenix in a game we won easily. Also blew them out at FedEx later that year, and I think Champ had an INT in that game.

The previous year the game at FedEx was one of the more exciting ones in the stadium's history. The Skins were down 31-6 and got booed off the field at halftime but mounted a wild comeback; however, we still lost 45-42.

Funny how Bruce Allen still refers to them as the "St. Louis" Cardinals!

September 15, 1991. The Redskins hosted the 2-0 Cardinals at RFK and had to listen to a pretty confident opponent all week. The Skins won 34-0 to notch their second consecutive home shutout to start the season on the way to a 14-2 Super Bowl season.

The plays I remember the most are a Ricky Sanders reverse for a TD and a Wilbur Marshall pick-6 (during which he made a Cardinal fall down with a fake lateral).

DARN YOU TD_w!

Why does '91 have to be your all time favorite season too? Just as I go looking for the video below, you beat me to it with your post.

7:34-10:11 is that early Cardinals route. We also shutout the Eagles two weeks later for three straight home shutout's.

*Resists urge to eulogize about that all time great team, or else we'll be here all day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liUzpluE08Q

You know what, let's take this beyond the Cards and let everyone relive that glorious, glorious season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akBIC06AF5w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj569_WWYv4&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WOcX2pP4NI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdkm4MUPdqM

Hail.

September 15, 1991. The Redskins hosted the 2-0 Cardinals at RFK and had to listen to a pretty confident opponent all week. The Skins won 34-0 to notch their second consecutive home shutout to start the season on the way to a 14-2 Super Bowl season.

The plays I remember the most are a Ricky Sanders reverse for a TD and a Wilbur Marshall pick-6 (during which he made a Cardinal fall down with a fake lateral).

YES!! That fake lateral faked out the cameraman too!!

1. Frerotte to Westbrook to win in OT in the first game at JKC. Derek Smiths strip of (I think) McElroy to set up that play was beautiful.

2. Antonio Brown's return and CP hanging onto Sellers's coattails in 2005.

Ack - and I know this is about favorites, but my most vivid memory is the Esiason game.

1976, Monday night, raining like hell. One of those nasty friggin November nights and days in Washington. Cold and raw and rainy all day,, downpours during the game. The field was a total mess, the game was sloppy as hell.

The Cardinals were good and we were tied for second in the division.

After a rotten game in which we held on to a tenuous 3 point lead, Eddie Brown returned a punt 71 yards through a swamp and scored the touchdown tht gave us a win.

I was 13, and it was the first time i was allowed to stay up and watch an entire MNF game on a school night.

~Bang

1976, Monday night, raining like hell. One of those nasty friggin November nights and days in Washington. Cold and raw and rainy all day,, downpours during the game. The field was a total mess, the game was sloppy as hell.

Yeah Bang, I remember that one quite well. It was actually late October, and I had just moved from the DC area to the enemy territory of the NJ suburbs of Philly. That day was my first day of school up there, and one of my classmates (5th grade) was actually a Redskins fan.

The Skins also beat the Cardinals later that season in St Louis, which helped in getting a playoff spot (both teams were 10-4, and we got the wild card by the sweep). Also helped avenge which was probably the worst Skins-Cardinals moment for longtime Skins fans from the previous season, when a last second Jim Hart pass was ruled complete for a TD (to Mel Grey??), allowing the Cards to tie the game and eventually win in OT. There was no way the pass was complete, as Grey was hit by Pat Fischer when the ball arrived and it came loose.

After a rotten game in which we held on to a tenuous 3 point lead, Eddie Brown returned a punt 71 yards through a swamp and scored the touchdown tht gave us a win.

I was 13, and it was the first time i was allowed to stay up and watch an entire MNF game on a school night.

~Bang

I think that was the second MNF game my parents ever let stay up for.

Also helped avenge which was probably the worst Skins-Cardinals moment for longtime Skins fans from the previous season, when a last second Jim Hart pass was ruled complete for a TD (to Mel Grey??), allowing the Cards to tie the game and eventually win in OT. There was no way the pass was complete, as Grey was hit by Pat Fischer when the ball arrived and it came loose.

I remember that well, and it was Mel Gray.

Here's a story i told in the "Dont sleep on the Cardinals" thread earlier in the week. Rather than re-type...

the Cardinals have been a nemesis since forever.

They've NEVER been good (except for small blips).

But they have ALWAYS given us fits, games we're supposed to win.

I grew to distrust them in the mid 70s, when on the final play of the game, Jim Hart thjrew to Mel Grey in the end zone in front of pat Fischer.. Grey had the ball in his hands, and before his second foot came down Pat RIPPED it out. There was no replay for the refs to see,, this was 1975. We could see it. there's no WAY he had the ball when he came down.

the refs huddled, and called it a TD, no time left, game over. ****s.

A few years ago I was at a signing in a VFW where Pat was.. and he and Ron McDole hadn't come out yet, so I figured to take a look in the bar. Sure enough there they were. So I grabbed my son (about 9 or so) and into the bar we went. Ron McDole was cool, signed my son's ball, slapped him five. Pat Fischer was REALLY cool, saw my son's 89 jersey and grabbed him, said he thought he was a wide receiver. He was really cool, gave Max an autograph, asked him if he ever wanted to play defense,, told him then he was allowed to really hit guys, gave him a wicked smile and a wink with that.... and then i looked at him as we were leaving and I said "Mel Grey never caught that ball!".

Well, he came alive, let me tell you. Came right down off his stool yelling and pointing "No way! No way in HELL did he catch that ball!" So I stood there in this bar with Pat Fischer for about five minutes recreating that damn play and really like joshing around with one of my friends about football. He is STILL hot over it. He was loud and proud, grabbing me and showing my son how he ripped the ball out.. it was a trip. (Meanwhile there's about 150 fans out in the main room waiting for these two to finish their drinks :ols: )

~Bang

~Me again

Awesome post GHH...I think we've discussed our mutual love for 1991 in the past!

---------- Post added September-16th-2011 at 08:05 PM ----------

Bang,

Boomer's Brady-like day was one of two losses to the Cardinals in the span of a month (give or take). Had we won either game, we'd have made the playoffs in Norv's 3rd season. Not that we really deserved to play in the playoffs, but still.

34-0

Last SB year!

28-0

One of the few games I got to see as I was away in college and this was before any options like streaming, even radio!

1982 - 28-0 : I was at that game too! I think I was in section 519. I was lucky in that I went to college in VA and got to see several gams at RFK.

Other Favs:

1976: Eddie Brown running through the muck and mud on MNF for a TD on a punt return. I was supposed to be in bed, but watched the game on a portable B/W TV in my room.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197610250was.htm

Another game in 1979 at RFK in the pouring rain, where the Skins had a 20 point 4th quarter lead and blew it. Mosely kicked a late FG to win it. I was at that game with my dad and we left early since it was raining so hard and the Skins were just killing them. I think we got home to Fairfax just as the game ended.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197911110was.htm

The game in 1984 that scruffy mentioned is by far the biggest/most important win we have had over the Cards in the modern era. The division was on the line that day...

As others have noted, throughout NFC East history, the Cards just weren't good enough to matter; we more or less dominated them and rarely played games that were particularly important or memorable. Once Gibbs retired, the tables turned a bit and we all of a sudden started losing close games to them time and again. But by that time, we stunk and it didn't matter. Aside from 1984 and a few years in the 70's, the Redskins and Cardinals rarely crossed paths when both teams were contenders.

If this thread was about painful losses against the Cards, we'd have to have a separate section titled the "Norv years"-- this is where the infamous Romeo Bandison story hatched from.

I forgot that was football....

Things I didn't remember but are astounding re-watching them (Give me a break I was 8):

1. Rypien's Confidence in the pocket

2. Rypien's gorgeous deep ball

3. The amount of LBs getting Ints

Anybody else think there are some similarities between Rypien and Grossman, specifically the I'm going deep attitude?

Yeah, like others I've had a hard time working up a healthy football hate for our departed division rivals over the years. The Esiason 500 yard passing day was the last time they even got on my nerves a little bit. Hell, back in the day I used to pull for them against NY, Philthy and Dullass.

But true to the letter of the the title of this thread, MY FAVORITE CARDINALS MOMENT is when they beat the Cow-holes in the playoffs in '97. The Cards basically ended the 'Poke's '90s run and heralded a new era of the Jerruh J's Front Office Sit-n-Spin Show. The Cards hadn't won a playoff game in 47 years or the like to that point and it was so sweet to watch the carnage wrought by such a to-date lowly franchise.

I have an entirely subjective scoreboard in mind when reckoning my luv/hate for any team not the 'Skins. Cannot hate on the Colts, Ravens or Pats forever because of their work versus NFC East rivals in such games as those known as Superbowls (and Championships in the prior era). Can't go that far where the Cards are concerned, but a special tip of the hat for '97 will be in play for a long time to come. And what if they beat us Sunday? Well, I'm not worried... cuz they won't.

velocet

Archived