Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This is why I've started to hate the NFL...bogus unnecessary roughness call

dockeryfan

Unnecessary roughness? This is perfect defense. Doesn't lead with his head, arrives just after he catches the ball, and dislodges it. I mean WTF? Is this two hand touch? If you can't make contact beyond 5 yards, and you can't hit the receiver after he catches it, why have defense at all.

fhpGQxMzRRY

Here's the thing, while I agree that it shouldn't be a penalty, it was the correct call.

h) If a receiver has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself, a defensive player is prohibited from launching (springing forward and upward) into him in a way that causes the defensive player’s helmet, facemask, shoulder, or forearm to forcibly strike the receiver’s head or neck area—even if the initial contact of the defender’s helmet, facemask, shoulder, or forearm is lower than the receiver’s neck.

Here's the thing, while I agree that it shouldn't be a penalty, it was the correct call.

h) If a receiver has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself, a defensive player is prohibited from launching (springing forward and upward) into him in a way that causes the defensive player’s helmet, facemask, shoulder, or forearm to forcibly strike the receiver’s head or neck area—even if the initial contact of the defender’s helmet, facemask, shoulder, or forearm is lower than the receiver’s neck.

It doesn't look like he ever touched the guy's helmet. I think you may be confused by that last part, but it says "initial contact" meaning that the defender would still need to hit the guy's helmet some time during the tackle for the rule to apply.

It doesn't look like he ever touched the guy's helmet. I think you may be confused by that last part, but it says "initial contact" meaning that the defender would still need to hit the guy's helmet some time during the tackle for the rule to apply.

Video quality isn't the greatest, but he definitely hits the guy's facemask with his shoulder. The question is was it because the helmet was already shifting forward from being lose or not. Either way you can't fault a ref for calling that watching it live at full speed without any sort of instant replay like you're watching it. It's easy to see why they called it.

2qs2iwk.jpg

It would be easier to tell with a good quality video and a better angle, but again....the ref calling it live has none of that.

He easily could have went a bit lower and had the same result of jarring the ball lose and avoided the penalty, it's just how you have to learn to play with the rules they have today.

---------- Post added September-2nd-2011 at 10:48 PM ----------

Here is a bit better video (still from camera recording a tv) but you can put it up in 1080p and fullscreen and see what you think. Keep in mind the ref doesn't get to watch a replay or maybe have just the perfect angle. I'm 99.999% the league would confirm this call as being by the book.

Again, I agree that I don't believe this should be a penalty, just saying they have to call it as it states the rule in the book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG5YnQ9LDUw

The fact it is the right call frankly makes it worse...not on the part of the Refs, but on the league. Its getting a bit insane and I fully don't buy that its in the name of "safety". Its in the name of higher scores, bigger passes, and protection and propping up of their "faces" of the league IE QB's.

I saw that play as it happened, and I knew there'd be a penalty simply because it was a hard hit. It's a BS rule and call IMO. I get trying to protect these guys, but at some point you have to let them lay the wood. Excellent play by the defender to jar the ball loose, he got penalized for solid play by the No Fun League.

I can't wait utnil Goodell steps down as commissioner. Hopefully it's sooner than later.

If the NFL is truly concerned about player safety how about making all the players CORRECTLY wear the safety equipment at all times. For instance you can't properly wear a helmet with all that hair bunched up in the helmet make all players wear short haircuts in the name of safety, but of course the players would complain about that. No more earrings of facial piercings either. If you want to get serious about safety then be real about it, not disguising scoring increases as the name of safety.

Are receivers allowed to break tackles? What happens when a WR lowers his head and there's contact?

The *right* thing to do would be do away with this new unnecessary stupid rule. Just enforce the helmet to helmet hits more strictly, with existing rules.

With the existing rule, the only *fair* thing to do is is make receivers and defenders play "touch football" rules.... :doh:

Video quality isn't the greatest, but he definitely hits the guy's facemask with his shoulder. The question is was it because the helmet was already shifting forward from being lose or not. Either way you can't fault a ref for calling that watching it live at full speed without any sort of instant replay like you're watching it. It's easy to see why they called it.

It would be easier to tell with a good quality video and a better angle, but again....the ref calling it live has none of that.

He easily could have went a bit lower and had the same result of jarring the ball lose and avoided the penalty, it's just how you have to learn to play with the rules they have today.

---------- Post added September-2nd-2011 at 10:48 PM ----------

Here is a bit better video (still from camera recording a tv) but you can put it up in 1080p and fullscreen and see what you think. Keep in mind the ref doesn't get to watch a replay or maybe have just the perfect angle. I'm 99.999% the league would confirm this call as being by the book.

Again, I agree that I don't believe this should be a penalty, just saying they have to call it as it states the rule in the book.

I still don't see it, but I'm also not one of those people that think the referees have an easy job and shouldn't ever make mistakes. The only contact I saw was the result of the helmet already coming off. Seems like it might not have been put on correctly, or maybe all that hair makes it a little looser than it should be.

I still don't see it, but I'm also not one of those people that think the referees have an easy job and shouldn't ever make mistakes. The only contact I saw was the result of the helmet already coming off. Seems like it might not have been put on correctly, or maybe all that hair makes it a little looser than it should be.

Yeah, I'm not sure if it just wasn't a result of the helmet coming off his head and moving forward into the should either. I've heard people mention over the past couple years that they think long hair prevents the helmet from fitting correctly.

Archived