Review Cuts: Wide Receivers

hunterx

1. Moss

2. Gaffney

3. AA

4. Austin

5. Hank

6. Banks

If we can use Banks as that odd 3rd QB spot, then Stallworth will get the nod as the 6th. I'm hoping that's the case, I've always loved Donte (I'm a die-hard UT Vol fan), but Austin has earned it this preseason and Hank wouldn't clear waivers. After tonight, there's no way Banks doesn't make the team as well. Regardless, I hope we somehow find a spot for Donte, but wouldn't be completely shocked if it doesn't work out that way.

that's just stupid to say one of the most reliable players in the NFL has "had issues". moss is as reliable as anyone in the nfl in terms of injury -- more reliable than most. what are you even talking about?

Hes had 4 seasons where hes at least missed a game or two. Just saying that the odds are that either this season or next, hes likely to miss a game or two. I don't get how thats stupid? Then again I guess going by past facts is somehow stupid.

Not many players play all 16 games anyway...

Well of course, I never said it as a knock on Moss in the first place, just that injuries happen and thats why you keep guys on the PS, to give them shots when someone gets hurt. How people got all offended at the statement, I have no idea.

Well of course, I never said it as a knock on Moss in the first place, just that injuries happen and thats why you keep guys on the PS, to give them shots when someone gets hurt. How people got all offended at the statement, I have no idea.

When you bring someone up from the practice squad, I believe you have to keep them on the roster for the rest of the season and release another player. I could be wrong, though.

Also, i'm not offended by anything. Just making a general statement. :)

When you bring someone up from the practice squad, I believe you have to keep them on the roster for the rest of the season and release another player. I could be wrong, though.

Well yeah I wasn't referring to you being offended, but a few other posters were acting as if me mentioning Moss has indeed missed a game or two in a few of his seasons that somehow thats stupid.

But I mean sometimes guys can get activated from the practice squad onto the active roster if a guy goes down, but I could be wrong.

Donte needs to make the team. He's been consistent in all 4 PS games and TC. If Moss or Gafney goes down, Donte can fill that hole. He ran great routes and caught most of the balls thrown to him. If this is truly based on performance, then he deserves a spot. I like all our WR. Wish we can PS Hankerson. Very tough for the coaches tomorrow.

My set:

Moss

Gaffney

Armstrong

Austin

Hankerson

Paul

Banks

Banks plays return man pretty much strictly.

In my world, that means we keep 6 receivers and 4 ST players.

For those in favor of keeping Stallworth, ask yourself,

1. Would you have kept Stallworth before his performance tonight?

2. Shouldn't a seasoned veteran perform well above his competition when he's largely playing against 2nd-3rd-4th stringers?

It's great that Stallworth showed up tonight, but by and large, he should have.

He's playing against far inferior talent.

If released, I think Stallworth will be picked up.

I also Think Paul will be picked up.

Only one has potential future upside for our team.

Anyways, that's what I think.

Fair enough. I would assess Austin/Stallworth in the same way. However, he is clutch, we have a PS for "developing" players and don't overlook a critical team component, Special Teams play. Stallworth is a really good Special Teamer.

As is Paul's. Its one of his strengths coming out of Nebraska. And I agree we have a PS for developing people...unfortunately its also there for other teams to scavenge from. I wouldn't complain if we kept Stallworth, I just see a bigger upside in a long term plan keeping Paul and since I don't see us going all the way this year I think planning long term is better

Just 3 weeks just like when you sign a guy off someone else's PS. However, to demote them again, you'd have to take them through waivers.

FYI - ESPN just had the Banks punt return as the #2 top play.

I saw that. :) It was tight.

Someone mentioned that Paul was running right along with him and I agree. Dude is fast. Paul that is. Banks may have been decelerating but Paul nonetheless caught up like it was nothing.

My set:

Moss

Gaffney

Armstrong

Austin

Hankerson

Paul

Banks

Banks plays return man pretty much strictly.

In my world, that means we keep 6 receivers and 4 ST players.

For those in favor of keeping Stallworth, ask yourself,

1. Would you have kept Stallworth before his performance tonight?

2. Shouldn't a seasoned veteran perform well above his competition when he's largely playing against 2nd-3rd-4th stringers?

It's great that Stallworth showed up tonight, but by and large, he should have.

He's playing against far inferior talent.

If released, I think Stallworth will be picked up.

I also Think Paul will be picked up.

Only one has potential future upside for our team.

Anyways, that's what I think.

What do you mean only tonight? Have u even watched the first three? He also played with our 3rd and 4th stringers. I said last week to keep him. Once again, this is all based on performance for me. No bias.

IMO 6 WR : Banks as KR/PR

I think at this point in time Moss Gaffney Armstrong and Austin are locks...

Hankerson makes it due to him being a 3rd rounder...

Paul vs Stallworth

Both plays ST... however Paul can be a returner as well...(both Hankerson and Paul are good at blocking down field)

I simply do not understand all the Stallworth hate.

He's old. There's good depth at the position and its time to stop pretending we're going to the playoffs this year and start developing young talent we drafted.

What do you mean only tonight? Have u even watched the first three? He also played with our 3rd and 4th stringers. I said last week to keep him. Once again, this is all based on performance for me. No bias.

I've seen every play, every game. What exactly has he done that's so thrilling in any game? Does his play to now really warrant taking the spot of a young potentially solid player? The guys heading to the wrong side of 30 and keeping him means someone else who could develop into a nice player and stay with the team for several years gets the axe. To me, keeping Stallworth over a Niles Paul or Terrence Austin is counterintuitive to building a young competitive roster for the future. We have plenty of old WR's already starting for this team.

Paul seems to have made the most of every opportunity he has had. Heck, on Banks' TD return tonight did you see Paul catching up to him with ease? Watch the highlight on NFL.com if you don't have Preseason Live. Look at the beginning of the return when Banks is in full speed a good 8-10 yards ahead of a (standing still facing the other way) Niles Paul. Then fast-forward to when Banks crosses the Buccs 40 yardline and you see Paul has caught up. He has got to be top 5 on the team in terms of speed.

Perceptions are funny. Other than that first preseason game, I thought Hankerson was picking it up and Paul was disappearing. QB play was poor yesterday, but Paul didn't shine.

I would like to think we had a good draft in which I believe we did, but how good relies on these WR's we drafted? If we think they are going to be good starters in the near future then we have to find a way to keep them, Stallworth has been an underachiever his whole career, gone! I am not a big Gaffney fan either, I like Austin more than Gaffney right now, Gaffney is to me nothing more than a stop gap receiver, I would dump him before I would allow any of the rookie WRs to become vulnerable for another team to snatch up, I think we will be better with Gaffney right now, but I don't think he's remotely a difference maker and worthy of a roster spot only to lose a potential young starter in whom all of which look far more explosive than anything Gaffney has brought to the table. We are IMO torn between experience and potential right now and I don't see the experience putting us into the Super Bowl this season which makes me believe we should commit to the future potential if we come to that crossroad.

I think we keep

Moss, Gaffney, Armstrong, Stallworth, Hank, Austin.

Banks as PR, and Paul to PS.

I think the fact that just about every bootleg we run with a single WR seems to always be Stallworth shows me he's not going anywhere. He has the speed and when hes going deep teams will roll the FS that way. That should open up a lot of room for Moss and Gaff.

Im in the keep Stallworth camp. The guy is a solid posession receiver and he is fast. He has worked hard for every ball this preseason and he isnt THAT old. If we get 3 years out of him, he will be well worth the roster spot. I would like to see him rotate in as the 3rd receiver and will definitely be critical if we have any injuries at receiver. He has shown he will work hard on special teams as well. I think the game yesterday just solidified us keeping him. I would keep Moss, Gaffney, Armstrong, Hankerson, Austin, Stallworth and Banks as the ST player.

Archived