Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ghost Chili (bhut jolokia)

superozman

So, I got suckered in. I have a ghost chili pepper - and only one recipe. I was curious on who has a ghost chili pepper recipe, who has eaten ghost chili foods before, or any other thoughts out there.

My recipe is a beer/cheese dip. Boil beer, add 8 oz cubed cream cheese, 2 cubs shredded cheddar, 1 tbsp flour, and minced ghost chili.

I'm not eating it raw, eating the whole thing, or taking a bite out of. I just want to say I did it. So with that - who has eaten/tried/tasted/etc. this ridiculously insanely hot pepper...and what happened?????

All I know is that it is used by the Indian army in the form of a smoke grenade to flush out terrorists. Good luck eating something prepared with it. :ols:

Sadly...i have read that. An Indian lady friend at work is one of 3 trying the dip/sauce with me on friday...We are nuts I think

Have plenty of milk on hand! Oh wait you're a Flyers fan thats right...forget the milk LOL .....Seriously it will burn for up to an hour, even if drinking milk..and you may become short of breath!..I dont see how cooking it in ANYTHING will make it less hot..go watch YT vids of people eating them :ols:

i diced a ghost chili up before and sprinkled it over a slice of pizza. lets just say, the burn of it coming out the other end is almost as bad as it going in. haha, but seroiusly, it burned for about 45 min. i mean, my lips even went numb. good luck to ya.

I had a small piece of one about two months ago. Of the five guys that tried it, only one pussed out and spit it out. I did treat it with respect, I did not let it touch my lips, and I thoroughly washed my hands after I handled it to avoid inadvertently getting it in my eyes of nose. It was very hot, but I expected more after hearing all of the hoopla. Burned for about ten minutes and then it was over. I did not experience the dreaded "ring of fire" when I visited the toilet either. The guy that spit it out had was also the last one to try it and had to be talked into it. Upon putting his piece into his mouth, he said "Oh, it's not that b.." and then he started franticly spitting on the floor. He made no effort to hit the trashcan that was maybe three feet away. It was pretty funny. I would definitely try one again, and hopefully find one that was a little fresher, the one I had was starting to dry out.

I had a small piece of one about two months ago. Of the five guys that tried it, only one pussed out and spit it out. I did treat it with respect, I did not let it touch my lips, and I thoroughly washed my hands after I handled it to avoid inadvertently getting it in my eyes of nose. It was very hot, but I expected more after hearing all of the hoopla. Burned for about ten minutes and then it was over. I did not experience the dreaded "ring of fire" when I visited the toilet either. The guy that spit it out had was also the last one to try it and had to be talked into it. Upon putting his piece into his mouth, he said "Oh, it's not that b.." and then he started franticly spitting on the floor. He made no effort to hit the trashcan that was maybe three feet away. It was pretty funny. I would definitely try one again, and hopefully find one that was a little fresher, the one I had was starting to dry out.

Do you guys have to buy them online? or is there a grocery store that has them? The hottest peppers I can find are the habaneros.

Nothing personal, but I never understood why I should eat something that physically hurts me. Just to day I did?

I don't mind a little heat in my food in the right doses. But I've eaten hot chili-laced food (though not ghost chilis), and when the intense heat starts, the rest of the meal is pretty much ruined... You're physically uncomfortable, and the Scoville units have so blasted your palate that you can't taste other flavors. You spend the rest of the meal either trying to put out the fire with bread, rice, or milk, or fighting through the burn by eating more while not tasting a thing. What's the point?

I don't mind a little heat in my food in the right doses. But I've eaten hot chili-laced food (though not ghost chilis), and when the intense heat starts, the rest of the meal is pretty much ruined... You're physically uncomfortable, and the Scoville units have so blasted your palate that you can't taste other flavors. You spend the rest of the meal either trying to put out the fire with bread, rice, or milk, or fighting through the burn by eating more while not tasting a thing. What's the point?

I'm with you. I like spicy food. I like to add crushed red pepper, spicy bbq sauce, sriracha, etc. to make things more spicy. But I don't see the point of food that's SO spicy, all you taste is spice. I want spice to supplement and enhance flavor, not to overwhelm it and become the only flavor.

The key is whether your piece had a bunch of seeds or no.... the seeds and the ribs of the chili are typically where the most heat resides.

OP - where did you get the chili? I'd love to get one myself.

As for a recipe, I have a good one I use with hot peppers from my garden.

Take about a pound of boneless country-style pork ribs, trim off the big pieces of fat and connective tissue, then cut into pieces about the size of your finger. In a frying pan, saute onion and 2-8 hot green peppers (depends on intensity you want; I use jalapeno and serrano and usually go with about 4). In a small dutch oven or casserole, sear the rib meat and remove. Some will stick to the bottom. When the veg is soft, put a spoonful of it in the Dutch Oven and stir for a few seconds. Add some liquid (water or beer) to just barely cover the veg, then stir and scrape up the stuff on the bottom of the pot. Then add the ribs, cover with the rest of the veg, add one habanero with two slits in its side, and a big sprig of sage and cover the pot. Put in a 350 degree oven for about 1.5 - 2hours. When you take it out, the meat should be ultra tender. Take out the sage and habanero if you want, then serve.

I'd bet you could substitute the ghost chili for the habanero in this one.

I find that by slitting a habanero and putting in a stew like this, it gives the dish both heat and flavor. The difference is that the heat is not concentrated in certain areas - it's infused into the broth and circulates all over. It's also a bit milder this way, and that lets the flavor of the chili come out.

I wonder what the ghost chili's flavor is like (aside from HOT)?

Do you guys have to buy them online? or is there a grocery store that has them? The hottest peppers I can find are the habaneros.

My brother-in-law knows a guy that has a plant. He says that the guy bought the plant online.

The key is whether your piece had a bunch of seeds or no.... the seeds and the ribs of the chili are typically where the most heat resides.

Yeah, I made sure that my piece had NO seeds on it...I'm adventurous but not crazy! :pfft:

Reminds me of this joke. An oldie but a goodie......

Frank: "Recently, I was honored to be selected as a judge at a chili cooking contest. The original person called in sick at the last moment and I happened to be standing there at the judge's table asking for directions to the Coors Light truck, when the call came in. I was assured by the other two judges (native Texans) that the chili wouldn't be all that spicy and, besides, they told me I could have free beer during the tasting, so I accepted." Here are the scorecards from the advent:

(Frank Judge #3)

Chili # 1 Eddie's Maniac Monster Chili...

Judge # 1 --! A little too heavy on the tomato. Amusing kick.

Judge # 2 -- Nice, smooth tomato flavor. Very mild.

Judge # 3 -- (Frank) What the hell is this stuff?! You could remove dried paint from your driveway. Took me two beers to put out the flames. I hope that's the worst one. These Texans are crazy!

Chili # 2 Austin's Afterburner Chili...

Judge # 1 -- Smoky, with a hint of pork. Slight jalapeno tang.

Judge # 2 -- Exciting BBQ flavor; needs more peppers to be taken seriously.

Judge # 3 -- Keep this out of the reach of children. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave off two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich maneuver. They had to rush in more beer when they saw the look on my face.

Chili # 3 Ronny's Famous Burn Down the Barn Chili...

Judge # 1 -- Excellent firehouse chili. Great kick. Needs more beans.

Judge # 2 -- A beanless chili, a bit salty, good use of peppers.

Judge # 3 -- Call the EPA. I've located a uranium spill. My nose feels like I have been snorting Drano. Everyone knows the routine by now.

Get me more beer before I ignite. Barmaid pounded me on the back, now my backbone is in the front part of my chest. I'm getting pie-eyed from all of the beer...

Chili # 4 Dave's Black Magic...

Judge # 1 -- Black bean chili with almost no spice. Disappointing.

Judge # 2 -- Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish, or other mild foods; not much of a chili.

Judge # 3 -- I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was unable to taste it. Is it possible to burn out taste buds? Sally, the barmaid, was standing behind me with fresh refills. That 300-lb. woman is starting to look HOT...just like this nuclear waste I'm eating! Is chili an aphrodisiac?

Chili # 5 Lisa's Legal Lip Remover...

Judge # 1 -- Meaty, strong chili. Cayenne peppers freshly ground, adding considerable kick. Very impressive.

Judge # 2 -- Chili using shredded beef, could use more tomato. Must admit the cayenne ! peppers make a strong statement.

Judge # 3 -- My ears are ringing, sweat is pouring off my forehead, and I can no longer focus my eyes. I farted and four people behind me needed paramedics. The contestant seemed offended when I told her that her chili had given me brain damage. Sally saved my tongue from bleeding by pouring beer directly on it from the pitcher. I wonder if I'm burning my lips off. It really pisses me off that the other judges asked me to stop screaming. Screw those rednecks.

Chili # 6 Pam's Very Vegetarian Variety...

Judge # 1 -- Thin, yet bold vegetarian variety chili. Good balance of spices and peppers.

Judge # 2 -- The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions, a! nd garlic. Superb.

Judge # 3 -- My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous, sulphuric flames. I pooped on myself when I farted and I'm worried it will eat through the chair! No one seems inclined to stand behind me anymore. I need to wipe my butt with a snow cone.

Chili # 7 Carla's Screaming Sensation Chili...

Judge # 1 -- A mediocre chili with too much reliance on canned peppers.

Judge # 2 -- Ho-hum; tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of chili peppers at the last moment. **I should take note that I am worried about Judge # 3. He appears to be in a bit of distress, as he is cursing uncontrollably.

Judge # 3 -- You could put a grenade in my mouth, pull the pin, and I wouldn't feel a thing. I've lost sight in one eye, and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with chili, which slid unnoticed out of my mouth. My pants are full of lava to match my shirt. At least during the autopsy, they'll know what killed me.

I've decided to stop breathing; it's too painful. Screw it; I'm not getting any oxygen anyway. If I need air, I'll just suck it in through the 4-inch hole in my stomach.

Chili # 8 Karen's Toenail Curling Chili...

Judge # 1 -- The perfect ending, this is a nice blend chili. Not too bold, but spicy enough to declare its existence.

Judge # 2 -- This final entry is a good, balanced ! chili. Neither mild, nor hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge # 3 farted, passed out, fell over, and pulled the chili pot down on top of himself.

Not sure if he's going to make it. Poor fella, wonder how he'd have reacted to really hot chili?"

Judge # 3 -- Oh God.........

I actually grew some this year from a ghost pepper I got from a friend last year. I dried it out and saved the seeds.

I am going to dry them out and crush them up into a powder and add them to the other hot peppers I've grown this year.

I did have to try one of the ghost peppers when it was ripe. My bro and I tried a very small sliver I cut from it. Good Lord that thing is insane hot. You don't even get a chance to taste it, instant hot. Unbelievable. It was actually a pretty crazy rush and I'll most likely be doing it again this weekend. I'm taking one to a cook out and my brother-in-law is pretty crazy about hot things, so I'm going to let him try it. The bad thing about it is that pepper actually smells very good, you just don't get the chance to taste it. It's like a putting a match in your mouth for 45 minutes. 3 hours later my lips were still tingling.

289000_10150750186000696_643845695_20275886_3211427_o.jpg

290452_10150760365185696_643845695_20395199_4259712_o.jpg

I cut about 1/3 of the pepper (diced it as best as i could), and added it to the recipe in the OP. Except, I created 2 batches from the original.

Boiled 12 oz beer, added heaping tblsp flour, 2 cups sharp cheddar, and 8 oz softened cream cheese.

I then put 1/3 into a separate pot, still over heat. Kept 2/3 in the main pot. In the main pot i diced up a Habanero pepper (just 1) and added it there. The second pot, i put in the Ghost chili.

I'm curious as to whether the oils seep into the beer/cheese dip and make it ridiculously hot like it seems it should, or softens the burn.

I got the chili from a guy at church who is a hot sauce/pepper fanatic. Where you would put banana peppers on a sandwich, he does Habanero.

---------- Post added September-2nd-2011 at 04:41 AM ----------

OP - where did you get the chili? I'd love to get one myself.

?

This seems like a reputable seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GHOST-CHILI-PEPPERS-Bhut-Jolokia-Hottest-10-ct-FRESH-/370539269180?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5645dc8c3c#ht_1194wt_932

Has anyone tried an additive called pure cap?

Alll I can say is, one little dab on the end of a toothpick is very hot.

500,000 scolville units :ols:

This was 10 years ago but the lady in "Peppers" hot sauce store said Pure Cap is the hottest in the world.

I think the ghost pepper can range anywhere from 750,000 to 1 million plus scoville units. It's ridiculous. Also, your clerk person may have been right to her knowledge, it was not as popular or well known ten years ago as it is now.

Archived