Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ghost Chili (bhut jolokia)

superozman

And – THE REVIEW

So I took a small piece of the pepper, along with 2 other guys from work. Well, the guy who is Indian took a big chunk. My mouth caught FIRE instantly. It was just a burn. I couldn’t taste, just burn. It is now about 20 minutes later, and it’s still tingling, but its not as hot as it was. The guy from India asked where he can buy them, and the other guy is going to make a wing sauce to fool his friends with…he’s that guy.

The Habanero one tastes awesome (On the other half of my tongue that still has taste). But someone who isn’t a spicy eater tried the dip, and the cheese really does take some of the heat away. Her mouth is on fire, but not near as bad as me drinking milk right after the plain pepper. I enjoyed the dip as well, but the Habanero you can taste it better. The Ghost chili you just taste the heat, and then a little beer/cheese.

And – THE REVIEW

So I took a small piece of the pepper, along with 2 other guys from work. Well, the guy who is Indian took a big chunk. My mouth caught FIRE instantly. It was just a burn. I couldn’t taste, just burn. It is now about 20 minutes later, and it’s still tingling, but its not as hot as it was. The guy from India asked where he can buy them, and the other guy is going to make a wing sauce to fool his friends with…he’s that guy.

The Habanero one tastes awesome (On the other half of my tongue that still has taste). But someone who isn’t a spicy eater tried the dip, and the cheese really does take some of the heat away. Her mouth is on fire, but not near as bad as me drinking milk right after the plain pepper. I enjoyed the dip as well, but the Habanero you can taste it better. The Ghost chili you just taste the heat, and then a little beer/cheese.

This is good to know. Based on a few quick calculations I'd say these are about 5-6 times hotter (on average) than habaneros. My goal is to be able to have heat AND flavor, so I'm going to use 1/6 of one as a substitute for one habanero. Can't wait.

Does anyone know what the flavor of this pepper is actually like?

This is good to know. Based on a few quick calculations I'd say these are about 5-6 times hotter (on average) than habaneros. My goal is to be able to have heat AND flavor, so I'm going to use 1/6 of one as a substitute for one habanero. Can't wait.

Does anyone know what the flavor of this pepper is actually like?

The guy from India said it almost has a smoky flavor, but it's straight heat. Like there is a reason Adam from Man V. Food barely finished the burger.

so you had the ghost pepper raw and mixed in with the beer/cheese dip?

Yea, i had a tiny piece. Really tiny. Look at your pinky nail, maybe 1/2 - 3/4 that size and 1 seed. Straight fire.

But in the dip, it was just HOT, but had a solid taste if you like things spicy.

I only used gloves. Thats because the moment you get any of the 'oils' or part of the pepper on your hands, and then touch your face, it will burn/tingle. Which happened a little bit to me.

Only use a mask/goggles if you are paranoid - or handling a large amount.

I got mine on Friday. Yesterday I tried my first cooking with the ghost pepper, and it's not quite as hot as I thought it would be. I made a big batch of curry and used 1/4 pepper minced. Normally I'd use about 8 serranos, or maybe a habanero. So, I figured it would be safe to start with 1/4.

It had nice heat, but nothing beyond a bit of tingle. The pepper flavor was a bit smoky as mentioned earlier in the thread. Next time I'm definitely using half a pepper for this batch size (~5 quart). If that is good, I'll up it again until I find the right intensity.

I extracted the seeds and they're drying now. I'm looking forward to trying to grow some of these next year. God knows I've had great success growing jalapenos, serranos and habaneros. In fact, I've got way too many of each, so I'm going to buy some sealable pint bottles and stuff them with slices of green pepper, onion and these chilis, then top off with vinegar. We were in St. Thomas in February and bought the same thing at Gladys' Cafe for $10 - it's amazing but deadly. Why pay when you can make it yourself?

• 4 weeks later...
I extracted the seeds and they're drying now. I'm looking forward to trying to grow some of these next year.

What time of year do you plant the seeds?

BTW - Bringing the beer cheese Ghost Chili dip to the Carolina tailgate...See if I can get other fans hooked!

A little spiciness can add zest to foods, but I'll never understand people's desire to eat something so hot that it literally burns you and makes it so the eating experience is no longer enjoyable but a painful experience. If something is so toxic and caustic that it requires special handling (i.e., rubber gloves, goggles, etc.) why would I want to eat it? "Excuse me, could you please pass the lye?"

What time of year do you plant the seeds?

BTW - Bringing the beer cheese Ghost Chili dip to the Carolina tailgate...See if I can get other fans hooked!

I'm not sure. We usually get our hot peppers at the plant stage, so this will be a new experience for me. I do hope it works and that I get at least 2 plants. I want a supply of them next year so I can experiment without having to be too careful about my chili resources. :)

Archived