Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

yahoo: are member of congress paid enough?

grego

In order to fix that you have to fix how campaigns are funded...that's why the poor and middle class don't sit in those seats.

They really don't want that kind of democracy,would be fun to see in action though

Stever Jobs doesn't care about the money. But upper middle class people do. Many could not afford to be a Congressman.

If you want to have a lot more Rod Blagojevich's in office, trying to sell appointments and judgeships - just keep salaries low. That's what you'll get. Millionaires and Blagos.

I disagree with the idea that paying people more makes them less likely to act on greed. If you want to fight corruption take down the curtains and unlock the doors. Congress is full of secret meetings, hard to follow money trails, and recently we've even seen politicians avoiding the law by using separate email servers.

What a hassle. For $174k? No thank you.

However, being a congressman probably sets you up for life in terms of speaking, consulting and such so you probably 'make it up on the back end'.

Senate? Sure. Congress, not so much. Not unless you were a long-term power player.

---------- Post added August-30th-2011 at 11:00 AM ----------

I disagree with the idea that paying people more makes them less likely to act on greed. If you want to fight corruption take down the curtains and unlock the doors. Congress is full of secret meetings, hard to follow money trails, and recently we've even seen politicians avoiding the law by using separate email servers.

I agree with those things too. They aren't mutually exclusive.

I think they should be paid more. First, it's a tremendously important job. Second, it would broaden the pool of candidates. Third, it would reduces the incentive for graft. Fourth, they need to maintain two homes, one in DC and one in their home district.

Complaining about congressional salaries is one of the sillier things that populists do, IMO.

I guess I'm an apostate on this issue but I agree with Predicto on this one.

1. An idiot; or

2. A guy who has calculated that his constituency likes the BS "dadgummit, I'm-a just as much a regular ol' truck drivin', dip-spittin' idle shmuck as any of all y'all, it's jessthat I'm a-servin' and a-sufferin' in that thar' Congress up thar in Fat Cat Waashuntiyin.DC" act.

Of course, the two aren't mutually exclusive. But there's no reason why #2 has to mean #1 too. The guy could just be an intelligent dirtball.

The government sucks and I hate it, vote for me to run the government!!!

Hardly instills confidence in me as a voter, but I assume his constituents are not the sharpest tools around considering this clown is already in office.

Who cares? Congressman is not an average job.

The average CEO makes over 10 million a year. :whoknows:

How much does the average congressman make? (total,not salary)

we do spend about 1.5 M on each congresscritter a yr(staff,office,travel)

I could support a housing project for them

How much does the average congressman make? (total,not salary)

we do spend about 1.5 M on each congresscritter a yr(staff,office,travel)

I could support a housing project for them

You don't think a congressman should have a staff or an office?

Who cares? Congressman is not an average job.

The average CEO makes over 10 million a year. :whoknows:

Agreed...I find it odd that someone who has a relatively insignificant impact on the American people compared to a Congressman can make more than they do. Again, I'd like to see how their perks are quantified. If their total compensation is $500K or something, then I'll back off. But, as it stands now, I think $175K is pretty low for the level of responsibility.

My point was that these guys are living pretty good compared to the average american. Too much complaining.

And my point is that they are not the average American, nor should they be paid like one.

Look, the average American drives a bus, or sells insurance, or stocks shelves at Walmart. Nothing wrong with any of that, but I think my Congressman has more responsibility and hopefully has better qualifications, and should be paid accordingly.

You don't think a congressman should have a staff or an office?

Depends....I don't like some of them very much.

Here I am trying to be reasonable and go along with a raise and provide housing options and this is the thanks I get? :finger:

I don't think a lot of them should have the job period

Good gosh no, they don't need more money. Literally nothing comes out of their pockets in terms of incidental expenses. If someone wants me to bicker on Capitol Hill and go on the trail to kiss babies and hug fat girls during election season, I'd gladly do the job. It ticks me off that this guy would even bring up the amount of hours he works. I'm sorry, but first-class flights and fundraisers/benefits where you eat good food, drink expensive champagne, and hobnob with socialites does not count as work.

Furthermore, Congress is in session for only about half of the year. Please, I'll gladly endure this type of grueling work.

In order to fix that you have to fix how campaigns are funded...that's why the poor and middle class don't sit in those seats.

Absolutely agree with this comment. I can think of a couple people on this board alone that could give several elected officials a run for their money in an intellectual battle of wits. I feel it would take a second for a citizen who knows their stuff to get into congress and get up-to-speed enough on what public doesn't know to make an impact at their elected position, but it can be done.

The problem is the amount of campaign money involved. It's almost like if you don't know the right people or completely sellout, you won't be able to raise enough money to compete with the Romney's or Obama's. There's a couple different ways around it that I've been thinking of (just throwing it out there):

1. Make it law that only citizens with a social security number that can be verified can make campaign contributions. This could help nix that whole "corporations are citizens too" crap we keep hearing. Make it mandatory that this list be available to the public and let federal and state law enforcement ENFORCE this.

2. Seriously lower the amount of money a campaign can raise overall. A lot of money goes to tv ads (mostly negative), so if campaings can't afford to buy timeslot after timeslot after timeslot, the average citizen who doesn't have the same money connections can realistically compete.

3. Allocate the proper resources to help weed out corruption in the government. We all know its happening, but I feel if enough people get arrested and enough seats open up, an ordinary citizen may look at the situation and say "hey, I might be able to make a difference now that the government is getting serious for a change". I mean look at Obama now. Good intentions and all, but he can't get anything done that requires congress' approval.

At the end of the day, it's not just needing somebody to step up as a citizen and run. This will require the American people to demand the conditions for one of their own to realistically get elected and voting out/not voting in (for lack of a better term) jackasses like Bachman into office.

And as for the notion that elected officials are underpaid, I can understand the argument that public sector is underpaid compared to private sector. But I denounce the notion that only successful millionaires and billions can run our country. That's the recipe for disaster that we're forced to deal with already ( a government run by millionaires and billionaires making life easier for themselves and their millionaire and billionaire friends while making more money in the process).

Average politician is making money outside checks signed by the government anyway, so if six-figures isn't enough to compete with a CEOs salary (which is already crazy and another debate), six-figures is more then enough for me or the other 99% of this country.

But that's just my opinion...

They come to work on Tuesday and Leave on Thursday most weeks.

They take off the month of August, October, November, December.

They get a pension after 5 years? for life?

They got 93k to fix up their office in 2008 during the beginning of the worst economy every.. helps with their staff also.

They get any television show they wish anytime they wish, they can hire famility into just about any job they wish.

they got it bad.

Good gosh no, they don't need more money. Literally nothing comes out of their pockets in terms of incidental expenses. If someone wants me to bicker on Capitol Hill and go on the trail to kiss babies and hug fat girls during election season, I'd gladly do the job. It ticks me off that this guy would even bring up the amount of hours he works. I'm sorry, but first-class flights and fundraisers/benefits where you eat good food, drink expensive champagne, and hobnob with socialites does not count as work.

Furthermore, Congress is in session for only about half of the year. Please, I'll gladly endure this type of grueling work.

They come to work on Tuesday and Leave on Thursday most weeks.

They take off the month of August, October, November, December.

This is laughably wrong. They work harder than heck. Seriously, you guys may think they do a lousy job and spend too much time fundraising, but the fact is, the job is hard and that "time off" is totally full of other stuff they have to do.

This is laughably wrong. They work harder than heck. Seriously, you guys may think they do a lousy job and spend too much time fundraising, but the fact is, the job is hard and that "time off" is totally full of other stuff they have to do.

Would you care to enlighten us on any news piece or documentary that can show us how hard Congressmen have it? I haven't seen you provide one shred of evidence to back up the point you're making. I understand that people with such responsibility should make an above-average salary, but, A) our legislative branch doesn't generate profits for shareholders like CEOs do, so it's pointless to compare their salaries, and B) it's not as if some grievous error on Congress's part can't be undone by repealing a law or writing into existence a new law that nullifies an old one.

Here's what we know and/or what has been substantiated in this thread:

FACT: Congressmen and women are only in session for approximately half of the year.

FACT: During their full coverage of the legislative session, C-SPAN shows us that most Congresspeople don't even show up for the whole session (they're too busy getting drunk at The Caucus Room...their getting drunk isn't fact, it's just conjecture on my part, although it's definitely not a far-fetched idea to think that they actually do this).

FACT: Besides getting a way above-average salary, Congressional veterans get a pension and premium healthcare at a STEEP discount. Furthermore, as I said before, they don't have to worry about incidental costs. Do you know how valuable a pension and elderly healthcare are? When you account for them, a Congressional salary is more realistically around $300K-$350K per year.

A 2008 calendar distributed to congressional offices Monday shows the House holding five-day weeks only three times next year, exposing Democrats to charges that they are backing away from a pledge to work harder than Republicans did when they ruled the House.

In the proposed 2008 schedule, the House will meet 248 days in the 110th Congress, compared with 211 days in the last Republican-led Congress, according to figures maintained by the majority leader’s office

So your saying those that have their aids read the bill or just not bother?

the ones that refused to do town meetings when things were hot?

The ones that took off 90 days during the beginning of the worst recession ever?

And i'm wrong?

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2006/12/07/9034/kingston-congress/

Rep. Jack Kingston (R-GA) is upset that the new leadership of the 110th Congress plans to work five days a week. From today’s Washington Post:

“Keeping us up here eats away at families,” said Rep. Jack Kingston (R-Ga.), who typically flies home on Thursdays and returns to Washington on Tuesdays. “Marriages suffer. The Democrats could care less about families — that’s what this says.”

Congress has tried it Kingston’s way and it didn’t work. The 109th Congress — which has “been in session for a grand total of 103 days this year” — “failed to enact a host of once top-priority legislation on issues such as overhauling Social Security, immigration and lobbying laws.” Congress even failed its basic responsibility of providing a budget for the government, completing “just two of the 11 fiscal 2006 appropriation bills.”

***** sounds to me that he wants to be with the wife and kids for 4 days of the week and work 3? while not doing jack******

Archived