Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Am I a homer, or could a loss in that game be a good thing?

cweed15

Normally I would never say this because I never want the skins to lose, but I feel like this could be good for our boys in the long run. After all, it is preseason so it will not count against our record (better to experience it now before week 1 against the giants). What I mean is that it could be a bit humbling for them to experience this loss after crushing through two top league teams in the first two games. To me, this game didn't really even feel like a loss because of how well our first team played. I could honestly see a drastic difference in team charisma when clemens came in the game. I'm not sure if that is because he doesn't know the offense as well or if he just sucks, but either way I was still impressed by our team overall. If it wasn't for a stupid penalty, the momentum would have never shifted the ravens way in the first place. Our offense started out a little slow, but then picked it up. I thought we did a great job getting the ball into the endzone (something we've struggled with for a long time) this week and managed to put a lot of points on the board against a good team. I don't think our team goes back to Washington feeling bad about the loss; hopefully it just gives them extra motivation to roll into the last preseason game and the beginning of the season with a head full of steam. I'm feeling good about these guys this year, but maybe I am just a homer..

Does a team actually feel bad about a loss in pre-season regardless? Or conversely get real excited over a win?

Pre-season is what it is, and all a team should be concerned about is Week 1. You obviously don't want to stink the joint up in exhibition games and risk knocking confidence before the real stuff; but I honestly think it matters little so long as your up and fully focused on the first regular season game.

It's natural as fans, but WAY too much get's read into meaningless exhibition games from all angles; when in truth it all matters little. Being ready for the opening kick Week 1 is ALL that ultimately matters.

Hail.

Not sure how this loss will dent the confidence of our final 53. When those guys were playing we handled both sides of the ball. Same as they did the previous two games only this time the Ravens were obviously interested.

The part of the game the Ravens won is the preseason bit that doesn't count this year.

What I remember from the glory years is that Gibbs would win the first half and then often lose the second. What matters is that the guys you depend on look sharp and gain cohesion. The preseason has calmed my fears. I don't know that we'll be world beaters, but I think we could very well have a fun season.

I was actually hoping we lose the Tampa game too. I want this team to taste defeat and learn to absolutely hate the feeling.
Does a team actually feel bad about a loss in pre-season regardless? Or conversely get real excited over a win?

Pre-season is what it is, and all a team should be concerned about is Week 1. You obviously don't want to stink the joint up in exhibition games and risk knocking confidence before the real stuff; but I honestly think it matters little so long as your up and fully focused on the first regular season game.

It's natural as fans, but WAY too much get's read into meaningless exhibition games from all angles; when in truth it all matters little. Being ready for the opening kick Week 1 is ALL that ultimately matters.

Hail.

Did both of you read the Redskins players reaction after the game in the locker room interview or on twitter? They actually feel very down after the game. These guys DO care about PS games. So are the Ravens. Any players tell you otherwise is full of chits!!!

Did both of you read the Redskins players reaction after the game in the locker room interview or on twitter? They actually feel very down after the game. These guys DO care about PS games. So are the Ravens. Any players tell you otherwise is full of chits!!!

Well they've honestly no need to, irrespective of how well the game went for us outside of the final score.

I get the competitive spirit of an athlete, but as these games are the very antipathies of regular season competitiveness, there's really no need to be down after a loss. It all matters not a jot compared to Week 1 when the serious business starts.

Hail.

Taking a loss is good because it shows us that we are not invincible, or not as good as we thought we were, even though it was our 2nd or 3rd team that lost it.

I remember in Zorns first year, we looked pretty good our first two preseason games, then we got blown out by a team by 50 and Jason taylor got injured. Reality check, we were not that good. I dont want this team to get too high on themselves and not perform, even though i am 100% sure that Shanahan knows how to handle this situation better than Zorn

Are you kidding? Of course the Skins can feel down after a preseason loss. Did you see the Ravens players' over reaction to winning one? It was like they hadn't owned us in the last few meeting or something and that was the monkey off their backs. It unquestionably goes both ways.

No. Losing in preseason doesn't mean much. Neither does winning. It's evaluation that matters. Technique matters. Effort matters.

Family Matters, dark matter, Mad Hatter, cake batter... Sorry. Got distracted for a second there.

KDawg is right. Playing and executing well are all that really matter in the preseason.

Family Matters, dark matter, Mad Hatter, cake batter... Sorry. Got distracted for a second there.

KDawg is right. Playing and executing well are all that really matter in the preseason.

ahahhaaa, that's funny stuff. But yeah KDawg is right, preseason is for lining up and running plays with the right people in the right places and seeing how they handle that.

"You play to win the game!"

* Even though evaluation and practice is more important in the preseason.

So true.

Teams like New England, Pittsburgh, Baltimore play to win no matter what. We saw that against the Ravens the other night and it's why they have owned us for years. You can evaluate your talent being robots or you can evaluate your talent winning football games. You learn to win by winning.

We need to develop an attitude about Baltimore because they came here with a jihad against us right away and have made us look silly for a loooong time. I was personally insulted the other night when I went to bed after having that game stolen from us because I knew with 3 minutes left that Baltimore had the heart to punk us.

I love where Shanahan is taking this team but I also want our front office, coaching staff, and players to take up some local pride and get in this beltway battle. Shameful the way we amicably let them roll us repeatedly. They hate us.

Archived