Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Two things about our quarterbacks, including one point of worry on Rex.

Art

So, watching that first half, two things struck me. First, as I said after last week's game, do not be surprised to see Beck's first pass go long. Long-ish it went. Now, it was complete, but if that pass is a little more inside, it's a TD. It's possible on a route like that the pass is taught to fade out of bounds, but it was good to see the ball travel and be complete. The second was incomplete, but also deep.

I was very surprised to see Beck miss that slant as THAT is his money throw with his arm. Beck's arm is very clearly stronger than Grossman's based on last week's intermediate throws and this week's deep balls.

On Grossman, I think the job is his. I can see the interest in Beck very clearly, but I think Grossman's experience wins out in the end, and Beck takes over at some point. Here's my concern with Grossman. Almost everything he's throwing is in front of him down the middle. That drop by Moss in the end zone was a BEAUTY, and that last toss to Moss was a classic Spurrier corner, but, generally, everything is middle.

The ONE "out" he threw to Gaffney on the Baltimore time out was an arc. Teams will flood the middle zone on Rex and make him kill them outside the hashes. I don't know that he can. He does throw a very accurate ball at times. He has that special talent of being able and WILLING to fit a ball in very tight coverage, like that pass to Armstrong.

I just worry that tonight his arm seems so soft, maybe due to smaller hands and a little wetness in the atmosphere or something, that teams will not let him carve them on the inside, which he can do all day, and make him beat them on the edges, which he may not be able to do.

In all, a satisfactory first half for the team. Two penalties gave Baltimore life or this would be a whirlwind blowout.

Strangely, I dont put much stock in tonights game. They've run very little. I doubt this is a typical game plan for this season. It has the feel of a QB competition. If there's any excuse to throw the ball, they're throwing it.

I expect we'll be a little more dedicated to the run than we have been so far. 18 passing attempts, 9 rushes. That's super off balance.

On Grossman, I think the job is his. I can see the interest in Beck very clearly, but I think Grossman's experience wins out in the end

Agreed. Even if Beck comes out in the second half and plays well, Grossman has the experience. If it is otherwise a tie between the two, Grossman has the resume.

I share the worries about Grossman's arm. Consider what we have seen so far...this is a top notch NFL defense we are playing. And Grossman is making some good throws.

But, just like Grossman's resume, he will make some good throws and make some horrendous throws. Like you mentioned with the throw to Armstrong...he is a kind of QB to make those ballsy throws. Sometimes they work. Sometimes they won't.

So, watching that first half, two things struck me. First, as I said after last week's game, do not be surprised to see Beck's first pass go long. Long-ish it went. Now, it was complete, but if that pass is a little more inside, it's a TD. It's possible on a route like that the pass is taught to fade out of bounds, but it was good to see the ball travel and be complete. The second was incomplete, but also deep.

I was very surprised to see Beck miss that slant as THAT is his money throw with his arm. Beck's arm is very clearly stronger than Grossman's based on last week's intermediate throws and this week's deep balls.

On Grossman, I think the job is his. I can see the interest in Beck very clearly, but I think Grossman's experience wins out in the end, and Beck takes over at some point. Here's my concern with Grossman. Almost everything he's throwing is in front of him down the middle. That drop by Moss in the end zone was a BEAUTY, and that last toss to Moss was a classic Spurrier corner, but, generally, everything is middle.

The ONE "out" he threw to Gaffney on the Baltimore time out was an arc. Teams will flood the middle zone on Rex and make him kill them outside the hashes. I don't know that he can. He does throw a very accurate ball at times. He has that special talent of being able and WILLING to fit a ball in very tight coverage, like that pass to Armstrong.

I just worry that tonight his arm seems so soft, maybe due to smaller hands and a little wetness in the atmosphere or something, that teams will not let him carve them on the inside, which he can do all day, and make him beat them on the edges, which he may not be able to do.

In all, a satisfactory first half for the team. Two penalties gave Baltimore life or this would be a whirlwind blowout.

I agree with just about everything you said except the arm strength comment. Rex clearly has the superior arm in strenght....

Take a look at that Pic....the ball hung up there so long it was almost a punt, Beck must have read the paper to much this week, about his soft arm and now he is trying to throw deep, which is not his game.

Rex 2-Beck 1 this competition is over I dub ye SEX CANNON starter for the Redskins

Yea he said that the one pass was an arc....both of Becks Deep passes were arcs....

A deep pass is always going to be an arc. Just like Grossman's corner. A 10-yard-out needs to be a dart, not a curve. You know this. Beck's interception helps Grossman for sure, but there's really nothing close in comparing their arms. Beck has quite a bit more steam behind similar passes. I don't say this to say I don't support or like Rex. I have, all along, said he's the guy I'd start. Just saying you can tell their arm differences pretty clearly.

A deep pass is always going to be an arc. Just like Grossman's corner. A 10-yard-out needs to be a dart, not a curve. You know this. Beck's interception helps Grossman for sure, but there's really nothing close in comparing their arms. Beck has quite a bit more steam behind similar passes. I don't say this to say I don't support or like Rex. I have, all along, said he's the guy I'd start. Just saying you can tell their arm differences pretty clearly.

I just disagree, if anything people have trouble catching Rex's passes cause of the velocity....but Im glad we can agree on who we think should start it is just apparently for different reasons, and thats ok.

That pass to Hankerson is the difference. Watch Grossman to Gaffney on the out on the Raven TO and watch Beck to Hankerson. It's not close.

Again, Grossman is my guy, but, you can see Beck would have more of the field to legitimately attack. Whether either guy can lead us to success remains at least questionable if not SERIOUSLY questionable :). But, you can see what they like in Beck.

I still prefer Beck.

I think Grossman had a lot more time to shine in this preseason game, and he didn't make many mistakes. He didn't really impress me either. In the limited time Beck's been in, I just like what he's done. Aside from the interception, Beck seemed to know how to get the ball down the field more efficiently.

I just disagree, if anything people have trouble catching Rex's passes cause of the velocity....but Im glad we can agree on who we think should start it is just apparently for different reasons, and thats ok.

I really don't see what you're seeing, and I'm not trying to say you're wrong...but....I honestly don't see what you're seeing. Beck's arm looks superior in everything excepet for maybe accuracy (when Rex is being good Rex instead of bad Rex). Neither have a cannon, but Beck's arm looks stronger.

Grossman is more consistent (wow, who thought someone would ever say that. . . . ) but Beck has a larger variety of throws in his arsenal.

I think we should start Beck next week and alternate every 2 possession again.

Grossman is more consistent? When was that? Beck's game 2 was more consistent than Grossman's game 1 and both have been inconsistent in this game.

This is a legitimate quarterback controversy. I think if they started on different teams, Rex would play out a better season. Especially a season like this where we are huge underdogs. The question is, would Beck play out a better 3 seasons? I haven't seen enough to know. Sooooo many scenarioooooos.

Didn't Beck have 1 completion against the first team? He also took a horrible sack that was erased by a penalty. Beck needs to show me more than looking horrible against the Ravens starters. One pass isn't enough. Rex shined with the starters against the Steelers and Ravens. Beck shined against the Colts.

No way I can give Beck the edge on performance. If they feel his upside is higher though it would make sense to make him the starter.

This is the problem with alternating drives. Its not Beck fault his first drive was 2 plays and a TD. Sure it would have looked better driving down the field completing passes. He only had 3 passes against their first team D so its hard to judge based on that.

Didn't Beck have 1 completion against the first team? He also took a horrible sack that was erased by a penalty. Beck needs to show me more than looking horrible against the Ravens starters. One pass isn't enough. Rex shined with the starters against the Steelers and Ravens. Beck shined against the Colts.

No way I can give Beck the edge on performance.

Beck only had three passes against the first team, so it's hard to hold that one completion against him. The "horrible" sack may not have been so horrible given how the penalty influenced the play and how the announcers noted that no one was open downfield (obviously we can't tell from broadcast footage).

Archived