Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Two things about our quarterbacks, including one point of worry on Rex.

Art

So, watching that first half, two things struck me. First, as I said after last week's game, do not be surprised to see Beck's first pass go long. Long-ish it went. Now, it was complete, but if that pass is a little more inside, it's a TD. It's possible on a route like that the pass is taught to fade out of bounds, but it was good to see the ball travel and be complete. The second was incomplete, but also deep.

I was very surprised to see Beck miss that slant as THAT is his money throw with his arm. Beck's arm is very clearly stronger than Grossman's based on last week's intermediate throws and this week's deep balls.

On Grossman, I think the job is his. I can see the interest in Beck very clearly, but I think Grossman's experience wins out in the end, and Beck takes over at some point. Here's my concern with Grossman. Almost everything he's throwing is in front of him down the middle. That drop by Moss in the end zone was a BEAUTY, and that last toss to Moss was a classic Spurrier corner, but, generally, everything is middle.

The ONE "out" he threw to Gaffney on the Baltimore time out was an arc. Teams will flood the middle zone on Rex and make him kill them outside the hashes. I don't know that he can. He does throw a very accurate ball at times. He has that special talent of being able and WILLING to fit a ball in very tight coverage, like that pass to Armstrong.

I just worry that tonight his arm seems so soft, maybe due to smaller hands and a little wetness in the atmosphere or something, that teams will not let him carve them on the inside, which he can do all day, and make him beat them on the edges, which he may not be able to do.

In all, a satisfactory first half for the team. Two penalties gave Baltimore life or this would be a whirlwind blowout.

Thats why I think its stupid to start Grossman first. If you fully expect him to do bad some point in the season and give it to Beck is crap. If We are trying to build up and go young then just go with Beck. He has more upside and better talent. We just already know what we have in Grossman. I like the fact that the young are more intune with Beck. Austin is looking good but Beck is letting him look good.

---------- Post added August-26th-2011 at 08:18 AM ----------

One thing I've found interesting is everyone seems to think we've seen grossmans peak, but not becks. Why is that? I think its quite obvious rex is much more suitable for this o, as opposed to chicago. He's started a total of 3 games in the system. Even the biggest rex haters will concede that when he's hot, he can get in a zone as good as almost anybody. He seems to be limiting his mistakes now. The shannhans KNOW they can with rex. He actually has done it in the regular season. Beck has nt. Its obvious shannhan is trying to win now..wouldn't it make more sense to go with the more sure thing to start the yr? Just my two cents.

There stats are quite even this preseason. Neither has blown the other out of the water. So the question is, who did try favor heading into the preseason? If u ask the media, its beck all day. Imo, mike prefers beck, kyle prefers rex. It should be interesting. Im pulling for rex

Yet Grossman hasnt cleary outplayed Beck. Which tells me with more practice Beck will surpass Grossman by week 4. Im just saying Beck had missed a whole week and he still is neck to neck to Grossman. If Grossman gives a better chance to win and score wheres the proof. I know out of 8 drives Beck has lead the offense to 6 scoring drives.

Thats why I think its stupid to start Grossman first. If you fully expect him to do bad some point in the season and give it to Beck is crap. If We are trying to build up and go young then just go with Beck. He has more upside and better talent. We just already know what we have in Grossman. I like the fact that the young are more intune with Beck. Austin is looking good but Beck is letting him look good.

---------- Post added August-26th-2011 at 08:18 AM ----------

Yet Grossman hasnt cleary outplayed Beck. Which tells me with more practice Beck will surpass Grossman by week 4. Im just saying Beck had missed a whole week and he still is neck to neck to Grossman. If Grossman gives a better chance to win and score wheres the proof. I know out of 8 drives Beck has lead the offense to 6 scoring drives.

But those scoring drives have had nothing to do with Beck and everything to do with people making extrodinary plays. Tim Hightower made a great run, and Terrance Austin had a great run after the catch. Beck just had to exisist for a couple fo seconds to give those guys the ball, with out them making extrodinary plays we settle for three.

Now look at Rexs TD's done with great throws by him, he actually contributed to his scoring drives.

Beck will do adequate as the starter but he will be more like Brunell high completions low score....Grossman will take the chance to put it in the endzone, sure he may throw more pics but I would rather that than Capt. Check Down and Graham Gano being our highest scorer.

But those scoring drives have had nothing to do with Beck and everything to do with people making extrodinary plays. Tim Hightower made a great run, and Terrance Austin had a great run after the catch. Beck just had to exisist for a couple fo seconds to give those guys the ball, with out them making extrodinary plays we settle for three.

Now look at Rexs TD's done with great throws by him, he actually contributed to his scoring drives.

Beck will do adequate as the starter but he will be more like Brunell high completions low score....Grossman will take the chance to put it in the endzone, sure he may throw more pics but I would rather that than Capt. Check Down and Graham Gano being our highest scorer.

This is getting old. I'm not picking on you specifically, but all the Beck naysayers are just reaching.

Beck has a noodle arm and cant put enough on his passes to throw over 10 yards - Oh, wait...

Beck can make short throws, but can't complete any deep throws because he has no touch or is afraid to go deep - Oh, wait...

Beck can't or wont throw it into the endzone for some reason...

A pattern is forming here. People hate on Beck with nothing to back them up, Beck proves them wrong.

I understand if people prefer Grossman, that's fine. But why all the hate for Beck?

Have you notice the runs get longer with beck in there. On reseason y is the defense has to defend a possible bootleg with beck on the stretch play. Im sorry but you nor I know what Beck is going to play like. It could be like Brunell or it could be like Brees. We dont know. We know what grossman brings and yes it can light you up. And it can help the other team to win too. I rather have a team beat me instead we beat our self. Grossman is not even a good pocket passer people is hanging on that dallas game like that was the second coming. Thats where alot of people are basing their view of Grossman. But at half time in that game we was down 24 points. Only when dallas lost interest in that game did Grossman come off.

This is getting old. I'm not picking on you specifically, but all the Beck naysayers are just reaching.

Beck has a noodle arm and cant put enough on his passes to throw over 10 yards - Oh, wait...

Beck can make short throws, but can't complete any deep throws because he has no touch or is afraid to go deep - Oh, wait...

Beck can't or wont throw it into the endzone for some reason...

A pattern is forming here. People hate on Beck with nothing to back them up, Beck proves them wrong.

I understand if people prefer Grossman, that's fine. But why all the hate for Beck?

I have no "Beck Hate" I just know what I see, and what I see does not impress me, that is all.

Sure he had ONE deep pass that if thrown better would probably have led to more yardage but it led him out of bounds. His next one was not a great toss, and his third one looked like punt it hung so long, and lead to an INT. Like I said earlier his scoring drives were two awesome plays by guys not named Beck.

None of that is hate it is fact. When Rex has scored he has had a significant influence on the play, Beck has not.

Sure I agree that Rex's style could lose us some games, but Becks could as well, think about 2 mins left in the game and we need a TD to win, Beck wont take that shot to the endzone because that is nto his game, Rex however has proven he can take that shot, and can be succesful doing it.

Bottom line neither one of these guys is very special, but Beck is 0-5 as an NFL starter with 1td and 3 pics.....Rex went to a superbowl, has more experience, and has been in this offensive system longer. Add to that his play in the preseason and it is no question in my mind who should be the starter.

Bottom line neither one of these guys is very special, but Beck is 0-5 as an NFL starter with 1td and 3 pics.....Rex went to a superbowl, has more experience, and has been in this offensive system longer. Add to that his play in the preseason and it is no question in my mind who should be the starter.

You do realize that Beck's starts were with a horrific Miami Dolphins team, right? Dan Marino in his prime couldn't have helped that team. So that's really no way to gauge how Beck might do leading the Redskins.

I'm not sure I've been watching the same preseason games as you, because from what I've seen of Beck, I'm okay with him as a starter.

Even though I want Rex to win this battle, I think both QBs could do well in this system. At UF, Grossman hit Gaffney all over the field. I hope they re-create that chemistry.

I heard last year that Rex's arm was weak. I did not see that at all in the Giants game, especially on that bomb to Armstrong which hit him in the chest with a thud.

The fact is that RG in 2006 was his first full year starting (missed first 3 years due to injury) . So people saying we they know who grossman is are bassing it off one high cieling low floor (13-3) ugly superbowl loss season. I see no reason to assume Beck has a higher ceiling, he may actually have a lower cieling than RG. I think it's more that people have already judged Grossman due to the way he(1 td, 2 int, 1 fumble) lost the superbowl. Who has better stats in preseason, looks like RG is better than Beck right now, and you play the guy who is better now.

I have no "Beck Hate" I just know what I see, and what I see does not impress me, that is all.

Sure he had ONE deep pass that if thrown better would probably have led to more yardage but it led him out of bounds. His next one was not a great toss, and his third one looked like punt it hung so long, and lead to an INT. Like I said earlier his scoring drives were two awesome plays by guys not named Beck.

None of that is hate it is fact. When Rex has scored he has had a significant influence on the play, Beck has not.

Sure I agree that Rex's style could lose us some games, but Becks could as well, think about 2 mins left in the game and we need a TD to win, Beck wont take that shot to the endzone because that is nto his game, Rex however has proven he can take that shot, and can be succesful doing it.

I guess. I just see dismissing him so early/easy as a form of hate. If you look at both QBs overall this preseason, to me they aren't that different. I wonder what we would all be saying right now if it was Becks turn to go when it was 2 min drill time. IMO Grossman hadn't looked very good before that.

Either way, I'm just glad that it looks like we will have a solid QB to start with, and a good backup!

It is Billy vs. Sonny all over again. I rooted by Billy back then. I was too young to have seen Sonny in his glory days. Today I am still rooting for the younger of the 2 QBs.

On a side note, did anyone else notice how the ref stepped right in front of Beck on his long interception? The ref who starts behind the play, was moving up and toward the middle of the play as Beck rolled left. I thought they were going to collide. I don't know if it affected the play, but Beck must have been a little surprised to see a body coming toward him from behind.

You do realize that Beck's starts were with a horrific Miami Dolphins team, right? Dan Marino in his prime couldn't have helped that team. So that's really no way to gauge how Beck might do leading the Redskins.

I'm not sure I've been watching the same preseason games as you, because from what I've seen of Beck, I'm okay with him as a starter.

Yea I know that he got his stats with Miami, but come on Matt Stafford played for a horrible Lions team and put up better numbers, Sam Bradford played for a pretty bad Rams team and put up better numbers The Bills went 4-12 last year but Ryan Fitzpatrick still put up good numbers. Everyone can come up with excuses but at the end of the day you make the best with what you got and play the game, he couldnt do that, I could care less about the wins as a starter but in 5 games he could only manage 1 td and 3 pics that does not say a whole lot about the guy.

Again I do not hate him, and if Shanny chooses to go with him then while I do not see it or even think its a good move I will support it cause I am a fan of the team, and will need him to perform cause I want us to win.

I just think that between these 2 mediocre Qb's Rex gives us our best shot to win, week in and week out.

He is 30, but he is a young 30 (not taken those NFL hits often). I know people think that 30 is the death-toll for players, but aside from RBs, that isn't always the case. Many QBs play into their late 30s, and often have their best years during that time. I think if Beck gets the nod and turns out to be a solid starter, he could go awhile while we groom another. 7-8 years is possible, 5-7 is more likely. I for one would love to have a dependable starter for 5+ years. It's been awhile.

John Gruden had it right. Beck is more talented.

Beck is the better QB for this team for the next 7-8 years.

I think there is one thing we can all agree on, if anyone thinks Beck is our Qb for the next 7-8 years then we are screwed....no matter who starts this year we need to draft a Qb in the next draft. If anything whoever wins this job this year is a starter for 2 seasons tops.

Neither Grossman or Beck is our future they are both stop gaps not players you can build a team around.

Yea I know that he got his stats with Miami, but come on Matt Stafford played for a horrible Lions team and put up better numbers, Sam Bradford played for a pretty bad Rams team and put up better numbers The Bills went 4-12 last year but Ryan Fitzpatrick still put up good numbers. Everyone can come up with excuses but at the end of the day you make the best with what you got and play the game, he couldnt do that, I could care less about the wins as a starter but in 5 games he could only manage 1 td and 3 pics that does not say a whole lot about the guy.

Again I do not hate him, and if Shanny chooses to go with him then while I do not see it or even think its a good move I will support it cause I am a fan of the team, and will need him to perform cause I want us to win.

I just think that between these 2 mediocre Qb's Rex gives us our best shot to win, week in and week out.

By the time Beck got any minutes for Miami, the team had already lost its best weapons to injury (Ronnie Brown & Ricky Williams). His top rushing threat was Jesse Chatman - you know - the guy who got 5 carries with the Chargers the next season and has not posted any stats since.

By the time Beck got any minutes for Miami, the team had already lost its best weapons to injury (Ronnie Brown & Ricky Williams). His top rushing threat was Jesse Chatman - you know - the guy who got 5 carries with the Chargers the next season and has not posted any stats since.

I remember a Patriots team that lost a starter named Drew Bledsoe....they had this unknown kid from Michigan come in named Tom Brady....instead of just giving up on the season due to some injuries they did the best they could with what they had....I think they have been pretty succesful. Same thing with Matt Cassel instead of just folding up the season when Brady went down they made due, and they had a mildly succesful year.

The point is, that you can either make excuses, or you can sack up and play with what you got....like I said with subpar talent I could care less about the 5 losses, but the yardage, TD's and Int numbers tell me that this guy decided to just settle for the well we are not very good excuse and there is nothing I can do. If he is our starter what would he do if our starters went down? Would he just pack it in? There are tons of guys who still played great in adversity, so far in this guys career he can not say that.

Again I do not hate the guy, I just do not think he is the guy to lead us to victories this season, or in any season.

This is what I noticed between our two QBs-

I think some of the balls in fact most of the balls thrown by Grossman does not have a zip and it floats... which might be intercepted

On other hand, most of the balls thrown by Beck is sideways somewhat like a fielder throws the ball in baseball or cricket... flat as they want the ball to travel faster. I think for short passes this is ok, but those balls might be batted down. I would like to add that most of the throws I analyzed were short to medium passes... did not see much of long passes this preseason so far.

I think Grossman has the bigger arm of the two players. It certainly appears he puts more zip on the ball than Beck. Of course maybe Beck just hasn't showcased his "zip" yet, but from what Ive seen Rex seems to hit those intermediate routes with more zip and accuracy.

:whoknows:

Yes Rex has done good so far and I like the mobility of Beck; however, I feel that he is so confident sometimes that he takes a long time scrambling and get sacked or throws a deep ball if he is called for without reading the D ... he threw one to I think Stallworth which was almost intercepted

I think Grossman has the bigger arm of the two players. It certainly appears he puts more zip on the ball than Beck. Of course maybe Beck just hasn't showcased his "zip" yet, but from what Ive seen Rex seems to hit those intermediate routes with more zip and accuracy.

Someone in ESPN I think said Beck is the best kept secret in the NFL... I thought that was a good one.

I think there is one thing we can all agree on, if anyone thinks Beck is our Qb for the next 7-8 years then we are screwed....no matter who starts this year we need to draft a Qb in the next draft. If anything whoever wins this job this year is a starter for 2 seasons tops.

Neither Grossman or Beck is our future they are both stop gaps not players you can build a team around.

I have John Beck graded much higher than you do, obviously. So, no...we can't all agree on that.

You my friend need to get your eyes checked out.

Archived